PDA

View Full Version : Steering question

DTI
10-10-2006, 08:07 AM
I have a '03 Commander with a 496 mag. and Bravo 1. When at idle, the boat doesn't track straight. It wonders slightly left and right, so I'm constantly correcting my steering to try to keep it straight. Does anyone know how can this be corrected? Thanks.

Havasu Hangin'
10-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Every single engine v-botom I've owned has done that to some degree.

Tom Brown
10-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Does anyone know how can this be corrected?
Switch to outboard power. Every stern drive I've ever ridden has done that.

desertbird
10-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Stop Drinking while Boating...... :crossx:
LOL
It's just the nature of the beast. If you speed up to 5 MPH she'll track straight, but you'll be over the no-wake limit. Every boat I have ever driven wanders at no wake speed.

DTI
10-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the insight. I like the 24 degree deadrise for the rough water, but I guess it comes with a price.

Jbb
10-10-2006, 08:33 AM
I have a '03 Commander with a 496 mag. and Bravo 1. When at idle, the boat doesn't track straight. It wonders slightly left and right, so I'm constantly correcting my steering to try to keep it straight. Does anyone know how can this be corrected? Thanks.
It is easily corrected ...buy a cat......and stop plowing waves... :p

Tequila-John
10-10-2006, 08:33 AM
yeah that shit gets frustrating in the channel

Phat Matt
10-10-2006, 08:43 AM
It will usually correct itself if you let it go. It will slowly go back and forth.

Tequila-John
10-10-2006, 08:59 AM
It will usually correct itself if you let it go. It will slowly go back and forth.
Really?

Zaairman
10-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Switch to outboard power. Every stern drive I've ever ridden has done that.
My outboard does it too...

andy01
10-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Really?
Yes

Phat Matt
10-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Really?
Yep.

DTI
10-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Sorry, but let me make it clear for myself. So by letting go of the steering wheel at idle, will keep the boat tracking straight, but with a slight back and forth motion?

phebus
10-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Sorry, but let me make it clear for myself. So by letting go of the steering wheel at idle, will keep the boat tracking straight, but with a slight back and forth motion?
Not necessarily, but the key would be to not oversteer it, but to make small corrections, and let the boat come back to center.

Phat Matt
10-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Yes. But it all depends how close you are to other boats. Unfortunately, you may have to steer in the channel. :)

DTI
10-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Yes. But it all depends how close you are to other boats. Unfortunately, you may have to steer in the channel. :)
The channel is my biggest navigating nightmare. I hate having to work the steering wheel to move through the channel. So I usually do stay clear of the channel during the busy times. Thanks all.

phebus
10-10-2006, 10:04 AM
You can minimize the effects of bow steering with how you load your boat. Try and keep the weight towards the rear, and try to balance the load.

DTI
10-10-2006, 10:17 AM
You can minimize the effects of bow steering with how you load your boat. Try and keep the weight towards the rear, and try to balance the load.
I don't have a lot in stowage, but I will look to see if I need to evenly distribute more of the load. Thanks for the tip.

LHC30Victory
10-10-2006, 10:46 AM
I have found that if you run one motor a little higher rpm than the other, the boat will travel much straighter...OH, you only have ONE motor??? :cool: Sorry. :argue: :cry: :)

Mandelon
10-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Yes, if you just let go of the wheel it will track straight......... Straight into another boat or the rock.
Bow steer is normal with a v hull.

Boatcop
10-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Scientific explanation........
Normal rotation of propellers is toward the right. Even with the wheel held at a direct straight ahead position, the torsional effect of the right-hand spinning prop will tend to force the boat to the right. Dual engines without counter-rotating props will intensify this effect, hence the need to open the throttle on one to get the boat to track straight at slow speeds.
Constant course corrections are needed to keep the boat on a steady heading.
This also happens in Jets, with the jet thrust spinning the water in one direction.

DTI
10-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Scientific explanation........
Normal rotation of propellers is toward the right. Even with the wheel held at a direct straight ahead position, the torsional effect of the right-hand spinning prop will tend to force the boat to the right. Dual engines without counter-rotating props will intensify this effect, hence the need to open the throttle on one to get the boat to track straight at slow speeds.
Constant course corrections are needed to keep the boat on a steady heading.
This also happens in Jets, with the jet thrust spinning the water in one direction.
Thanks Boatcop. So if you see me fighting the steering wheel at idle, I'm drunk. Just trying to keep it straight.