PDA

View Full Version : Disaster!!

Southwest47
10-10-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm updating a local school district's crisis preparedness plans, and need some help from a certified computer geek. I consider myself a wanabe computer geek, so my knowledge is decent, but limited.
I need a program that would let me look at an electronic map, and then click on a specific spot on the map to pull up an actual picture of the area I want to view. Is there a program available to accomplish this scenario?
Due to all the recent school shootings, I need this done ASAP!! Please help!!

uvindex
10-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Google Maps does this. Are you asking for something different than what it does? :)

Havasu_Dreamin
10-10-2006, 06:35 PM
As said, Google Maps does what you describe. The issue at hand though is that the satellit image feature from Google Maps is a few years old in terms of what it presents.....

Southwest47
10-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Basically, what I have is a map of the school layout in PDF format that I want to be able to click on a specific spot to pull up an actual photo of that area. I need a program that will accomplish this, unless it can be done in Acrobat.
For example: If there is a maniac on campus in room 123, I want to click on room 123 on the map and see the actual layout of the classroom for tactical purposes...in other words..."TAKE HIM OUT!" :crossx:

Wet Dream
10-10-2006, 06:51 PM
In reality, you can't protect the schools. Are we going to arm every teacher with guns? Yeah right. Mace? Great, if the attacker has a knife or lesser weapon within range. Post a guard at every entrance? Cameras? Woo hoo!!! Theres the f'ing answer. :rolleyes: I gurantee any kid can unload a clip into a classroom before anyone comprehends whats going on at the monitoring end of that camera and can unload a second clip before dispatch can mouth the words "Attention all units: There's a shooting at blah blah blah school" Metal detectors at each entrance? Ok, so the shooter lies in wait at the fence line. Great 12' walls around the property. Hey look, now you have a prison. :mad:

Mrs.Racer277
10-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Despite your truths,
We have a responsibilty to try to protect the schools.
It has to be a consideration in everything we do.In reality, you can't protect the schools. Are we going to arm every teacher with guns? Yeah right. Mace? Great, if the attacker has a knife or lesser weapon within range. Post a guard at every entrance? Cameras? Woo hoo!!! Theres the f'ing answer. :rolleyes: I gurantee any kid can unload a clip into a classroom before anyone comprehends whats going on at the monitoring end of that camera and can unload a second clip before dispatch can mouth the words "Attention all units: There's a shooting at blah blah blah school" Metal detectors at each entrance? Ok, so the shooter lies in wait at the fence line. Great 12' walls around the property. Hey look, now you have a prison. :mad:

uvindex
10-10-2006, 06:55 PM
Basically, what I have is a map of the school layout in PDF format that I want to be able to click on a specific spot to pull up an actual photo of that area. I need a program that will accomplish this, unless it can be done in Acrobat.
For example: If there is a maniac on campus in room 123, I want to click on room 123 on the map and see the actual layout of the classroom for tactical purposes...in other words..."TAKE HIM OUT!" :crossx:One way would be to make the school map a web page with clickable locations that would bring up JPGs of the various locations when clicked. This method would require little to no software investment (assuming you have an HTML editor or can use an open source one such as Composer), just the labor of creating the web page and associated images. Good luck. :)

Wet Dream
10-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Despite your truths,
We have a responsibilty to try to protect the schools.
It has to be a consideration in everything we do.
TO WHAT EXTENT?!?!?!?!? Think about reality. What are the true odds of a kid getting shot at school? What are the odds of a kid getting shot at all?

Southwest47
10-10-2006, 07:09 PM
In reality, you can't protect the schools. Are we going to arm every teacher with guns? Yeah right. Mace? Great, if the attacker has a knife or lesser weapon within range. Post a guard at every entrance? Cameras? Woo hoo!!! Theres the f'ing answer. :rolleyes: I gurantee any kid can unload a clip into a classroom before anyone comprehends whats going on at the monitoring end of that camera and can unload a second clip before dispatch can mouth the words "Attention all units: There's a shooting at blah blah blah school" Metal detectors at each entrance? Ok, so the shooter lies in wait at the fence line. Great 12' walls around the property. Hey look, now you have a prison. :mad:
In reality (unfortunately), your right...but a poor attitude nonetheless!:frown: I am just trying to prepare the schools though my training and experience to deal with a crisis situation. I know I can't prevent a situation from occurring, but I can at least provide them some valuable infomation for real-time crisis management.

hottrodder
10-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Using the full version of Adobe Acrobat you can create links in a PDF. The links can be configured to open another file. Like a JPG for instance.

Southwest47
10-10-2006, 07:14 PM
I would guess you need something like Macromedia Dreamweaver.
Is there a way to do what you did in Acrobat? I'm unfamiliar with anything to do with web development.

Southwest47
10-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Using the full version of Adobe Acrobat you can create links in a PDF. The links can be configured to open another file. Like a JPG for instance.
Another file? Do you mean within Adobe, or another program like Word? Sounds like your on the right track!

Campbell Dude
10-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Contact AutoDesk, the makers of Autocad. This should be right up their alley. We do somthing very similar to this at my work. You can even include the ability to call up building structural details ( very handy for the people who like to blow holes in order to make entry's ). If you contact the school district maintenance department they will probably have the school drawings in AutoCad, this would greatly speed up your project. Keep in mind that the people who are asking for this probably have no clue how much work will have to go into getting this on line.
One other low cost and quick response is to do a detailed video survey of the inside and outside of all eareas and keep it on file.
GOOD LUCK

Wet Dream
10-10-2006, 07:46 PM
In reality (unfortunately), your right...but a poor attitude nonetheless!:frown: I am just trying to prepare the schools though my training and experience to deal with a crisis situation. I know I can't prevent a situation from occurring, but I can at least provide them some valuable infomation for real-time crisis management.
POOR ATTITUDE??? :mad: Go pound sand. A PLAN ? Great, a kid takes a school room hostage. The rest of the school got out. the evacuation plan worked, because they weren't manipulated at GUNPOINT. The assailant is distraught, and has an automatic weapon with multiple clips. Now what? Whats the plan? Your plan incorporates real time cameras in every room. Great. :rolleyes: So now what happens when the media picks through the video and watches the assailant blow through kids while the "plan" to have SWAT and associated snipers are watching this on monitors? I have 2 boys, 7 and 10 in school. I kiss them goodbye everyday, never thinking about something like this, but if it did happen, what the **** could you or anyone do about it? NOTHING! Normal procedures have whats called SOP's. Standard Operating Procedures, for what is expected in every turn. What you are creating is SOG's. Suggested Operating GUIDELINES for a situation that NEVER goes as planned, with a fancy mapping program that allows someone the ability to crop a cameras view and zoom in. Big F'ing Deal. Plan all you want, in a crisis situation it is never written in plan. Poor attitude. Would it make you feel better if I and everyone else on here commended you for fancy cameras and metal detectors as the next kid walks right through with explosives strapped to his ribs? F YOU! Happy planning.

hottrodder
10-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Within Adobe. Acrobat will open a viewer allowing you to preview the image. Tomorrow I can splain better from my desktop. Don't have full Acrobat on my laptop at the house.

Wet Dream
10-10-2006, 08:13 PM
There's a lot more to disaster preparedness than a gun incident.
Get real.
Simple things like placement of phones, desks and chalkboards in classrooms take disasters into consideration.
All types of disasters.
You can't simply throw up your hands.
pussy
Read the first post stupid, and please attention to the last sentence. :rolleyes: At what point did you feel it necessary to call me a pussy? What the **** is so pussy about what I wrote?

Racer277
10-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Well, we gotta keep doing what we can.
I just got a kick out of you calling names and getting worked up, decided to push a button.
It worked. :D
TO WHAT EXTENT?!?!?!?!? Think about reality. What are the true odds of a kid getting shot at school? What are the odds of a kid getting shot at all?
POOR ATTITUDE??? :mad: Go pound sand. A PLAN ? Great, a kid takes a school room hostage. The rest of the school got out. the evacuation plan worked, because they weren't manipulated at GUNPOINT. The assailant is distraught, and has an automatic weapon with multiple clips. Now what? Whats the plan? Your plan incorporates real time cameras in every room. Great. :rolleyes: So now what happens when the media picks through the video and watches the assailant blow through kids while the "plan" to have SWAT and associated snipers are watching this on monitors? I have 2 boys, 7 and 10 in school. I kiss them goodbye everyday, never thinking about something like this, but if it did happen, what the **** could you or anyone do about it? NOTHING! Normal procedures have whats called SOP's. Standard Operating Procedures, for what is expected in every turn. What you are creating is SOG's. Suggested Operating GUIDELINES for a situation that NEVER goes as planned, with a fancy mapping program that allows someone the ability to crop a cameras view and zoom in. Big F'ing Deal. Plan all you want, in a crisis situation it is never written in plan. Poor attitude. Would it make you feel better if I and everyone else on here commended you for fancy cameras and metal detectors as the next kid walks right through with explosives strapped to his ribs? F YOU! Happy planning.
Read the first post stupid, and please attention to the last sentence. :rolleyes: At what point did you feel it necessary to call me a pussy? What the **** is so pussy about what I wrote?

Wet Dream
10-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Southwest, I'm not trying to bag on you or your work personally. Honestly, I'm not. I'm just trying to get to the answer of "When is it good enough"? When is it finally good enough and at what expense? Every year, communities fight and bicker about property taxes raising because of schools not having enough money for books, teachers want more money, healthcare, and on and on and on. Yet we're trying to create a super fortress of security for education. Everything in life has inherent risks, unfortunately so does going to school. Getting to and from school is more dangerous. So now what? Bubble wrap all the busses? Here is an excerpt from an article (Google: "school bus deaths"):
Each year approximately 800 school-aged children are killed in motor vehicle crashes during normal school travel hours. This figure represents about 14 percent of the 5,600 child deaths that occur annually on U.S. roadways and 2 percent of the nation’s yearly total of 40,000 motor vehicle deaths. Of these 800 deaths, about 20 (2 percent)—5 school bus passengers and 15 pedestrians—are school bus–related. The other 98 percent of school-aged deaths occur in passenger vehicles or to pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists. A disproportionate share of these passenger vehicle–related deaths (approximately 450 of the 800 deaths, or 55 percent) occur when a teenager is driving.
Here are the school shooting facts:
Shooting Numbers (http://www.schoolsecurity.org/trends/school_violence.html)
Where is the increased risk? 800 in a bus EACH year or 225 in the last 7 years of shootings.

C-2
10-10-2006, 08:42 PM
I would say keep searching - there has got to be a fully functional program of some sort to do what you describe.
Maybe not in the same industry - but maybe in building, or auto cad programs, perhaps even loss prevention/security for manufacturing.
Your answer is out there - I would suggest focusing your efforts on finding something which already exists and is functional, instead of trying to re-create the wheel, going thru the learning curve, trial and error etc.
What do you do, anyways?

Wet Dream
10-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Well, we gotta keep doing what we can.
I just got a kick out of you calling names and getting worked up, decided to push a button.
It worked. :D
Again, you can't be more wrong. Where do you possibly see that I called him a name? I told him to "pound sand" and "F you". I called you "stupid" for not understanding the first post in this thread, but you didn't quote that post. :rolleyes:

Racer277
10-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Schools are offered what we term "Columbine Funds".
Basically you need a quality disaster preparedness plan. With that, 100% of your district's security/disaster upgrades will be funded by federal grants.
It has no effect on the local school distict's budgets, with the exception of drafting the necessary plan. Which is a good thing to have anyway.

Southwest47
10-10-2006, 08:59 PM
but if it did happen, what the **** could you or anyone do about it? NOTHING! Plan all you want, in a crisis situation it is never written in plan. Would it make you feel better if I and everyone else on here commended you for fancy cameras and metal detectors as the next kid walks right through with explosives strapped to his ribs? F YOU! Happy planning.
If you can read your quote, you will notice I deleted all of your superfluous rambling. Let me just answer some of your concerns:
1) I believe I said in a previous post that it was not my intention to prevent a maniac to enter a school and shoot it up. I could not plan, or prepare a school enough to accomplish that, because it is not up to me or the school when an attack like that may occure. I agree that in a crisis situation the stress level of an individual is heightened to an extent that the person may lose all control of conscious decision...trust me, I know from experience. However, if a person is properly trained (educated), you have a BETTER chance of surviving a conflict based on your training and resources.
2) I don't expect any commendation from anyone on the boards. If you read my first post, I simply asked a question about computer software.
3) Never mentioned anything about metal detectors.
Finally, "F YOU! Happy planning", WOW, :eek:! I guess your not a parent. If you are, I pray your local government is preparing for a crisis situation like I am trying to do.

Wet Dream
10-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Ok, so roughly 5 years after the plan is approved, the grant money may be allocated to the district? We both know this stuff doesn't happen quickly. Its government funds we're talking about. Trust me, I would love to know that anybody's child can go to school and feel safe from a firearm weilding idiot, but in reality, again, the threat of it actually happening is nil. At what extent do we, as parents, teachers, a community, and a nation collectively say that our kids are protected "well enough"?

C-2
10-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Ok, so roughly 5 years after the plan is approved, the grant money may be allocated to the district? We both know this stuff doesn't happen quickly. Its government funds we're talking about. Trust me, I would love to know that anybody's child can go to school and feel safe from a firearm weilding idiot, but in reality, again, the threat of it actually happening is nil. At what extent do we, as parents, teachers, a community, and a nation collectively say that our kids are protected "well enough"?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/11321106-thumb.gif
Easy there turbo, start a new topic of discussion. No need to jack this guys thread.

Wet Dream
10-10-2006, 09:13 PM
I agree that in a crisis situation the stress level of an individual is heightened to an extent that the person may lose all control of conscious decision...trust me, I know from experience. However, if a person is properly trained (educated), you have a BETTER chance of surviving a conflict based on your training and resources.
So the best person for the task at easing one's level of anxiety is a trained negotiator/ psychologist/ psychiatrist/ sweet talker/ etc. And what you are doing is providing a visual aid for this person to assess the situation from a certain stand point? How does that reduce the risk of an attack in progress? It does not. Prevention is key.

Southwest47
10-10-2006, 09:25 PM
So the best person for the task at easing one's level of anxiety is a trained negotiator/ psychologist/ psychiatrist/ sweet talker/ etc. And what you are doing is providing a visual aid for this person to assess the situation from a certain stand point? How does that reduce the risk of an attack in progress? It does not. Prevention is key.
I completely understand your point! However, Im not trying to be a smart a**, but how would we prevent it? We cant!! If some kid or crazed adult has the idea to shoot up a school, the only thing we can hope for is to hear about his or her plans before it happens.

Wet Dream
10-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Southwest, you are correct, we can't prevent it and I have to apologize. I didn't mean to hijack your thread or ruffle anyone's feathers. There is a lot of hype in the media and in everyones mind right now about what to do about "all of the school shootings". Events like this create a frenzy of "what to do" attitudes and how can we stop it. Things like this are brought to our attention especially when they seem to occur back to back in a relatively short period of time. Is there a feasible way to prevent it, and if so, at what cost and expectation of effectiveness? Take the Amish shootings. Never in a million years did the Amish, which have no beliefs in modern civilization, expect this to happen at their school. Even if all the school safety planning and anti terrorist planning, and funding was inplemented into the school system, would this have been prevented into a school or society that doesn't allow such devices. Unfortunate as it is, it still would have happened.