PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal

Morg
12-09-2002, 09:11 AM
I am new to the inner working of the v-drive. The bearing race on the output shaft is stuck to the shaft. The input shaft race came right off. This is on the forward side of the v-drive.
Little help.
Morg.

Morg
12-09-2002, 02:39 PM
Little Help

Cole Man II
12-09-2002, 02:43 PM
Morgy,
Nothing with you is ever normal.
Cole Man.

126driver
12-09-2002, 02:48 PM
Hey Morg - I assume your working on the v-drive from the Revenge? I wonder if it is the same polished one I had in the boat? If so, that spacer is just stuck on. It did that every once in a while. We could just pry it off with a little care, but I bet that case hasn't been apart since I sold the boat. Well, maybe once. I had 18's in the box. You may have to throw a little heat on it. BTW, you don't need a bearing puller with a quick-change box.

Morg
12-09-2002, 02:57 PM
126driver:
Hey Morg - I assume your working on the v-drive from the Revenge? I wonder if it is the same polished one I had in the boat? If so, that spacer is just stuck on. It did that every once in a while. We could just pry it off with a little care, but I bet that case hasn't been apart since I sold the boat. Well, maybe once. I had 18's in the box. You may have to throw a little heat on it. BTW, you don't need a bearing puller with a quick-change box.That's what I was thinking. Just didn't want to start whacking away without knowing what I was doing.
BTW- Are you sure you did not have the 12's in the box. From what I was told this thing was never ran after you sold it. I wonder if some one traded these things while it was sitting :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Morg.

superdave013
12-09-2002, 03:26 PM
126driver:
BTW, you don't need a bearing puller with a quick-change box.You don't need a bearing puller for a quick change box that has tapered bearings. If it has roller bearings you need a puller or you could just pry them out with a big screwdriver.

126driver
12-09-2002, 03:38 PM
Morg:
That's what I was thinking. Just didn't want to start whacking away without knowing what I was doing.
BTW- Are you sure you did not have the 12's in the box. From what I was told this thing was never ran after you sold it. I wonder if some one traded these things while it was sitting :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Morg.I know I gave him some 18's when I sold the boat. I can't remember if I handed him the gears or put them in for him. I am missing a set of 12's, although I believe I loaned them to a guy that disappeared with them. I could be wrong. :confused: Doesn't matter at this point. Are those 12's lightened out of curiosity?

Morg
12-09-2002, 05:14 PM
126driver:
Morg:
That's what I was thinking. Just didn't want to start whacking away without knowing what I was doing.
Morg.I know I gave him some 18's when I sold the boat. I can't remember if I handed him the gears or put them in for him. I am missing a set of 12's, although I believe I loaned them to a guy that disappeared with them. I could be wrong. :confused: Doesn't matter at this point. Are those 12's lightened out of curiosity?The 12's I have are lightened, Not drilled just turned down in the center section.
I've got a puller on the bearing & just gave it some heat. No movy. It appears the box had some moisture inside. I'm going to let the puller sit on it with some breakfree see if that gets it.
Morg.

126driver
12-10-2002, 06:33 AM
My 12's were drilled. Someone must have split the case and swapped the standard 18's for those 12's for whatever reason.
If you suspect some moisture in the case now is the time for a complete tear-down. You don't want to make small pieces out of big ones later.

Morg
12-10-2002, 06:53 AM
It will be going to V-drive Tom as soon as the plate is back from being powder coated. :D :D :D
Morg

superdave013
12-10-2002, 07:47 AM
I just got in a set of 12's yesterday. They are not lightened but these things look like they have only been run a few times. Best looking gears I have.

126driver
12-10-2002, 07:50 AM
Sure. Now that I've thrown down for a new set you get some. wink Well, not exactly. That was a hell of a deal that Rexone gave me. :D
How about some 18's now?

ACCEPTENCE
12-10-2002, 08:44 AM
Morg:
It will be going to V-drive Tom as soon as the plate is back from being powder coated. :D :D :D
MorgRealize if your powder coating the v-drive plate the powder coating makes the plate thicker and you will now need to reset all the clearences, endplay, caps and whatnot...my.02cents

Morg
12-10-2002, 08:48 AM
ACCEPTENCE:
Morg:
MorgRealize if your powder coating the v-drive plate the powder coating makes the plate thicker and you will now need to reset all the clearences, endplay, caps and whatnot...my.02centsThat's why I'm sending it after I get the plate powder coated :D :D :D