PDA

View Full Version : Fire Is BAD

SERIOUS ISSUES
06-06-2003, 06:45 PM
On monday I was pulling my motor so I could take the boat to havasu and get it into revenge boats jig. our intent is to ensure it was original specs, set plate ect....
As I pulled the fuel line off, I put it up into the water line for the headers (get it out of the way and keep it from leaking fuel). I leaked a little as they always do and got some on my hands. as I put it into the headers there was a big flash and I was in a flame pit. I was able to get my hand and arm out then whent after the fire. it did burn about 15 - 20% of the inside of the boat before I got it out. It is repairable but w/ alot of hours of work. my goal is to make it like new again. After all it was like new before this.
I never thought it would happen to me but it did. The fire inspecter said the only cause could have been static.
going forward I will make a ground in the garage for the boat. 15 years of playing w/ boats and motors and it finaly got me.
Gofast has some pics and likely will post the post flame damage.

Her454
06-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Sorry to hear it but I guess it could have been worse and your not burned. Thats the one thing that scares the hell of me, fire.
frown

DansBlown73Nordic
06-06-2003, 07:03 PM
I was at the lake with my Stevens once. I had been going crazy trying to set the float levals. As I was adjusting all the sudden the hole motor was on fire. eek!
It was kinda funny how many people came running when your parked around a bunch of expensive cruisers. smile_sp

SERIOUS ISSUES
06-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Dans66Stevens:
I was at the lake with my Stevens once. I had been going crazy trying to set the float levals. As I was adjusting all the sudden the hole motor was on fire. eek!
It was kinda funny how many people came running when your parked around a bunch of expensive cruisers. smile_sp .
I hope they came w/ the fire ext.
By the way, I did get a little burn. second deg. on my right hand. I was lucky, dad in law is a ex fire fiter and came over w/ some good stuf. I was back to work today and feel damb good under considering.

06-06-2003, 09:49 PM
Glad you're ok...coulda been alot worse. Boats can be replaced but laying in a burn unit while they graft skin to you isn't my idea of fun.

Kurtis500
06-06-2003, 11:45 PM
Serious issues, did this happen in the city of Phoenix? I work for the Phoenix Fire Department...just curious

SERIOUS ISSUES
06-07-2003, 07:14 AM
058:
Glad you're ok...coulda been alot worse. Boats can be replaced but laying in a burn unit while they graft skin to you isn't my idea of fun. I here ya 058. jusr being burnt on my hand hurt like hell that first day.
Kurtis 500. It did happen in noth Phx. I got the fire out before Phoenix Fire got to the house so I called them off. My father in law is retired fire. he still takes a shift now and then, also vols for hall of flames. He was able to get that burn free and help w/ the burns so I was able to avoid the hospital trip.
he looked at the boat and talked to a fire investigator and they said it was a static fire.
By the way, what is your name and what station?

06-07-2003, 08:24 AM
We've been hearing alot about static fires lately, usually at self serve gas stations. Can you ask your father-in-law what can we do to minimize risks?

SERIOUS ISSUES
06-07-2003, 08:49 AM
058:
We've been hearing alot about static fires lately, usually at self serve gas stations. Can you ask your father-in-law what can we do to minimize risks? It happens most when it is hot out. the vapors fill the air and vapor in heat is very volital. at gas stations fill up in the morning or at night and touch something metal on you vehicle before you grab the pump. As far as the boats go, fiberglass carries alot of static. ground the gas tank and ground the boat. I think a big cause in this ws the work apron on the boat. as I walked around taking lines off the apron would move around on the glass. I think thats were I got most of the static build up. Posibly having a rubber bottom for the apron would have worked.
I would say if you are going to take off a fuel line or anything else that will allow fuel or vapor to escape, make sure you ground the boat first.

GofastRacer
06-07-2003, 12:40 PM
SERIOUS ISSUES:
[QUOTE]
I would say if you are going to take off a fuel line or anything else that will allow fuel or vapor to escape, make sure you ground the boat first. When I take fuel lines apart, I make it a habit to cap them off!. eek!
Hey Chad, sorry it took so long to get the pics up, been busy!.. :mad:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/12IMG_0001.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/12IMG_0002.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/12IMG_0003.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/12IMG_0004.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/12IMG_0005.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/12IMG_0011.jpg

126driver
06-07-2003, 12:46 PM
Damn! I've never even really thought about that. We use AN plugs to cap every line as we disconnect them, but you always get a little fuel in the boat.
That sucks about the boat, but it could've been a lot worse.

FlatRat
06-07-2003, 12:51 PM
Chad,
you're alive and that's most important thing.Now heal up and make it better than it was before.

GofastRacer
06-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Yep, when it gets hot and no humidity the static electricity gets real bad!.. eek!

Morg
06-07-2003, 01:12 PM
That is a scary deal. Glad you are O.K.
I had told my father in law he should have his re-loader for shot gun shells grounded (Gun Powder). I never thought of grounding the boat. My Revenge will definatly be grounded once I get it to the point where feul goes back in the thing.
Again glad you are O.K. Sorry the boat got burned.
Morg.

Sangster
06-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Morgy.....Don't worry, your boats all ready grounded, jest like mine.... :D :D :D

SERIOUS ISSUES
06-07-2003, 01:38 PM
thanks for posting the pics art.
AN caps are great but would not have save me on this one. the little fuel that leaked started the fire.
My wife was able to pull the motor out of the boat Tus w/ my gimp ass was playing gofer (go for this tool and go for that). I was feeling froggy last night so I stripped the hardware out and started sanding today. so far just paint damage and minimal fiberglass problems. I will have to re finish the right forward part of the floor.
I do love the paint job so we are going to try to save it. a friend of mine is realy good at blending pearls so as long as I dont have to touch a flame, we may be OK.
Hey Flat Rat. I would love to make it better but is was near perfect before the fire.

06-07-2003, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the static electricity. I'll start grounding things when I mess with the fuel system. The pics look pretty bad but if all thats damaged is paint then you had lady luck on your side. [and in more ways than one :D ]

stix818
06-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Damn that's pretty crazy. I've never really seen anything like that before and really never thought about. I always assumed everything was safe. I definitely have a different perspective now. Sure suck to see!!! cry

Jordy
06-07-2003, 02:26 PM
Wow. Glad to hear you're ok as that's some scary business and had the potential to be much worse.
When you're looking into ways to ground the boat, just put a little more thought into it than the guys at the airport do. From time to time I'll run av-gas and go to Scottsdale airport to get fuel. The guys always pull the little ground line out and clamp it off like they are supposed to, however, they always clamp it to the trailer. I pointed it out to them one time and they were appreciative. You don't think much about it, but between the fiberglass, the carpet, and the wood bunks it does no good to ground the trailer. Just a thought. :D

Rexone
06-07-2003, 03:33 PM
I never really considered this and have spilled fuel many times in my boats. They will be grounded from here on out.

stix818
06-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Rexone I hear on that one. A couple of weeks ago my buddy took off my fuel line and laid it in the boat. He didn't realize the tank was syphoning itself into the boat. I would say about 3 gallons ended in the bottom and I never thought about a fire being a possiblity (other than it being flamable).

mickeyfinn
06-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Man those pics are NASTY. I feel for ya. Hope you get it up and running again soon. That looks like it will be quite the job. hmmm....Makes a turbine sound real good huh?....Less chance of a fire with kerosene or deisel in the tank.

SERIOUS ISSUES
06-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Just a thought on the ground. put a stake in the floor and run a ground to the tank, engine and ride plate, that covers everything I think. I know one to the engine should ground everything but t6, fiberlass and wood are not great conductors. Ground everything I can get my hands on. Fits my new attitude (cant be to safe). Any other thoughts about how to ground?

Kurtis500
06-08-2003, 08:31 AM
Serious Issues.. My name is Darren Boyce. I used to work at Station 5 at 20th street and Thomas. Now I move around driving the trucks. You should feel pretty lucky, one of our guys got 1st to 3rd degree burns last year while working on his boat at home last summer. He also splilled fuel in the boat and it ignited..not sure how though. He was out for some time, and has some permanent scars I hear.

LVjetboy
06-09-2003, 12:20 AM
put a stake in the floor and run a ground to the tank, engine and ride plate, that covers everything I think.Except maybe the most important thing? Grounding yourself.
Even if the tanks, engine, trailer, ride plates and cooler full of Coors were NOT "grounded" to a stake in the garage floor w/multiple wires. If just your bare hand was grounded with a single wire to the engine before the fuel spill, chances are there'd be little potential buildup between you and the engine. And assuming the headers were also grounded to the engine thru header bolts...no spark.
jer
[ June 09, 2003, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

GofastRacer
06-09-2003, 07:12 AM
Also if you ground the engine, make sure you scrape off the paint!.. eek!

big Doug
06-09-2003, 07:33 AM
I am sooo lucky. I have an electric fuel pump that went out. I pulled the pump and also didn't notice the fuel leaking out into the bottom for atleast 10-15 minutes. As I was putting in the new pump is when I saw the gas leaking out. I grabed a small bucket and drained the gas out. 3 trips with 1 gallon bucket. You could see the vapors coming out the vents.(really hot day) I grabbed some dish soap(I think dawn) and hand washed the entire engine comparment down. It would have burned my faced and arms so quick. THANKS FOR THE POSTING!

HavasuDreamin'
06-09-2003, 07:50 AM
What an informative post. I had no clue about static spark and gas. I use a gas caddy and often spill a few drops here and there. I need to start grounding my rig. idea
Sorry for the big mishap SI. frown
[ June 09, 2003, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

SERIOUS ISSUES
06-09-2003, 09:19 AM
in regards to groundin your self, I agree. however all you have to do before you touch the gas line is touch the ground. this should eliminate any static you are carying

Itsahobby
06-10-2003, 07:06 AM
Almost got sick on this one. I lost my 21 Spectra
from a garage fire. The boat was out front, but
buy the time the fire department got there it was
already in flames. And they got there in like
3 minutes!
The fire was caused by, the inspector thinks,
rags with mineral spirit residue, sitting in the
sun light. cry
I feel for ya and glad you didn't get hurt to
bad.
Jerry

DetroitJim
06-10-2003, 12:41 PM
I've had some close calls too, one time I was refueling at the dock and did not touch the nozzle to the filler inlet. I actually heard a spark but no fire. I'm paranoid now, I touch metal anytime there is fuel in the open.

SERIOUS ISSUES
06-10-2003, 01:18 PM
Itsahobby, sorry to here about your loss.....
Once I got everything under controle I wanted to vomit my self. I had the same sick feeling the first time I had a boat sink on me.
I will be posting more pics as I get the project done. I have stripped the boat an started the sanding. Now I just need money and parts.
By the way I will be posting some stuff I have for sale (another raise money for the toy sale).
Lots of BBC parts and a motor. will trade for stuff I need

GofastRacer
06-10-2003, 06:17 PM
SERIOUS ISSUES:
"will trade for stuff I need" Hey Chad, what do we have that we need?? :) OH BTW, forget about the injectors! :D :D

Infomaniac
06-10-2003, 06:21 PM
When we are fueling or defueling an airplane:
Fuel truck grounded
Airplane grounded
Fuel truck grounded to airplane
Fuel hose grounded to airplane
Two fireguards with extinguishers ready at all times just in case.
[ June 10, 2003, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

GofastRacer
06-10-2003, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I can just imagine that shit going up in flames!.. eek! eek!

Kurtis500
06-10-2003, 08:27 PM
GofastRacer:
Yeah, I can just imagine that shit going up in flames!.. eek! eek! Thats what these are for :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/7real-p15.jpg

GofastRacer
06-10-2003, 08:31 PM
Kurtis500:
GofastRacer:
Yeah, I can just imagine that shit going up in flames!.. eek! eek! Thats what these are for :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/7real-p15.jpg Yeah no shit!.. :D :D

LVjetboy
06-11-2003, 12:32 AM
I've refueled a couple helicopters and remember that airplane-to-gnd, truck-to-gnd, and airplane-to-truck thingy Info.
But I'm thinking in Serious's case (if lightoff was caused by static discharge) the problem was not lack of engine grounding, or fuel tank grounding, or ride plate grounding for that matter. But the buildup of static charge between his body and the engine...transmitted from his hand through the fuel line connector then by spark to the header water line connector. Something preventable by a simple body to engine ground.
Consider also, who will do all these multiple grounds before working on their fuel? If a ground between yourself and the engine is sufficient (before fuel spill) and easy to do, certainly better than nothing...and maybe all that's really needed? I'd say few will practice the multiple ground scheme we did for refueling aircraft.
Another thought. Mechanics gloves? How likely to generate static electricity if rubbed on fiberglass?
jer

Rexone
06-11-2003, 12:51 AM
same principle as the static ground collar you put on (rephrase, should put on) when working on computer internals, memory, etc. yes? :)

LVjetboy
06-11-2003, 01:21 AM
Yes. Not saying the body-engine ground is the ultimate protection for refueling safety, just that for working on carbs or that occasional leaking fuel line at the lake, a habit of grounding yourself to the engine (away from fuel fumes) may be the easiest way to protect from fire. And easy a good thing...at least for me :)
jer
[ June 11, 2003, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

SERIOUS ISSUES
06-11-2003, 05:20 AM
jet boy. I here ya on the touch the engine before fuel thing. were my fuel line is I had to touch the engine at least once before taking it off. of the few fire fire fighter I talked to, they believe it was static in the glass going though my body. keep in mind I had a work apron that goes around the boat. I think the static built up as it slid around as I pulled of other lines.
Art, I have the motor that was in the boat (468 BBC full roller motor complete) plus all kinds of BBC stuff from square port heads (ported and polished) to roller rockers, stud guirtle, .090 4 bolt block offernhouser tunner ramm w 600 carbs.
also have lenco 2 speed a hydro prop, r/h rotation 11.5 x 15 prop. I know I have more stuff But have not completed the list.
After laughlin, Niki and I decided there are not enough pro stock races and decided to build a SS motor. I need 11.25 x 15 r/h prop, untouched GM square port heads (aluminum or cast) aluminum GM intake and holley 830 carb steel rods. also need a gear driven tach to replace the burt one. I know I have alot of other stuff to get but have not put together a parts list.

SERIOUS ISSUES
06-11-2003, 05:42 AM
make that prop size 11.25x14 not 15

GofastRacer
06-11-2003, 08:36 AM
SERIOUS ISSUES:
jet boy. I here ya on the touch the engine before fuel thing. were my fuel line is I had to touch the engine at least once before taking it off. of the few fire fire fighter I talked to, they believe it was static in the glass going though my body. keep in mind I had a work apron that goes around the boat. I think the static built up as it slid around as I pulled of other lines.
Art, I have the motor that was in the boat (468 BBC full roller motor complete) plus all kinds of BBC stuff from square port heads (ported and polished) to roller rockers, stud guirtle, .090 4 bolt block offernhouser tunner ramm w 600 carbs.
also have lenco 2 speed a hydro prop, r/h rotation 11.5 x 15 prop. I know I have more stuff But have not completed the list.
After laughlin, Niki and I decided there are not enough pro stock races and decided to build a SS motor. I need 11.25 x 15 r/h prop, untouched GM square port heads (aluminum or cast) aluminum GM intake and holley 830 carb steel rods. also need a gear driven tach to replace the burt one. I know I have alot of other stuff to get but have not put together a parts list. Chad, PM me your number, I'll call ya!.. :cool:

Thunderbutt
06-11-2003, 11:44 AM
Sorry to here about your fire. I've never heard about a static fire in a boat. Many times I drained the fuel from the float bowls onto a rag because I couldn't get a can under it,and leave it lay on the valve cover while I changed the jets. Thanks for letting us know. (Learn something new every day)

Liberator TJ1984
06-11-2003, 12:14 PM
Just curious but how long did it take to put the fire out ???
Did you have any extiguishers handy nearby ??

SERIOUS ISSUES
06-11-2003, 12:30 PM
Liberator TJ1984:
Just curious but how long did it take to put the fire out ???
Did you have any extiguishers handy nearby ?? I did have a extinguisher however I ran out of juice before the fire was out. I was forced to go to water (my goal was to keep everything cool so it wouldn't melt until fuel burned off). all and all the fire was only 45 sec. to a minute.
another lesson learned, I will have a 20lbs ext on both sides of my garage. 5lbs doesn't go very far.