PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS Plane crash in NYC

Tom Slick
10-11-2006, 12:58 PM
According to Fox News, New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle crashed his plane into a New York high rise building today. They don't know much more about the accident, but ESPN is reporting that Lidle was piloting the plane and is dead. Very sad news. :frown:

DILLIGAF
10-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Wow

Old Texan
10-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Memories of Thurman Munson. Bad deal.:(

Sleek-Jet
10-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Memories of Thurman Munson. Bad deal.:(
Yeah, but Munson wasn't flying, he was just in the airplane.
How the fock does ESPN know who was at the controls???
Gawd I hate the news... :mad:

Jbb
10-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Espn (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2621860)

Sleek-Jet
10-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Espn (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2621860)
Good lord... and I used to like ESPN... till today... :mad:

Hardly Satisfied
10-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Very Very Sad

Wet Dream
10-11-2006, 01:31 PM
It makes little sense:
Federal Aviation Administration records showed the single-engine plane was registered to Lidle, and FBI reports show that Lidle's passport was found at the scene.
And later in the article:
The twin-engine plane came through a hazy, cloudy sky and hit the 20th floor of The Belaire -- a red-brick tower overlooking the East River, about five miles from the World Trade Center
Stupid focking media. Blow me.

BigBlockBaja
10-11-2006, 01:35 PM
CNN Reported Norad scrambled fighters over some major cities withen minutes of the crash. They wouldnt give a number, but they said allot.

Old Texan
10-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Yeah, but Munson wasn't flying, he was just in the airplane.
How the fock does ESPN know who was at the controls???
Gawd I hate the news... :mad:
No he was the pilot:
Munson was frequently homesick, and took flying lessons so that he could fly home to his family in Canton on off-days. On August 2, 1979, he was practicing takeoffs and landings in his new Cessna Citation jet at the Akron-Canton Regional Airport. On the third touch-and-go, Munson failed to lower the flaps for landing and allowed the aircraft to sink too low before increasing engine power, causing the jet to clip a tree and fall short of the runway. The plane then hit a tree stump and burst into flames, killing Munson (who was trapped inside) and injuring two other companions. It is believed that the inability to get out of the plane, and the ensuing asphyxiation, is what killed Munson, rather than injuries sustained on impact or burns. He was 32 years old.[2]

Cheap Thrills
10-11-2006, 05:07 PM
It makes little sense:
The twin-engine plane came through a hazy, cloudy sky and hit the 20th floor of The Belaire -- a red-brick tower overlooking the East River, about five miles from the World Trade Center .
I have a hard time believing someone flying IFR wasn't paying attention to their altitude AGL/ PosistionGPS/.. whats the deal Pickle :confused:
C.T. :wink:

Sleek-Jet
10-12-2006, 06:17 AM
No he was the pilot:
OT, you are correct, my mistake.
I've talked to a few Citation operators over the years about it, they always said it was his flight instructor that was riding right seat put the airplane in the dirt that morning... tragic in any event.
As far as the crash yesterday. The pilot of the Cirrus was flying up the East River VFR corridor, which basically dead ends at LaGuardia's airspace, just past the building where the crash occured. That corridor is there mainly for Helo operators using a Heliport right on the river, not really for sightseeing. The VFR corridor was created so operators wouldn't have to contact ATC to fly through the airspace. It's pretty narrow right there as far as airspace goes, from what I understand.
Speculation on the aviation boards is saying it appears the pilot tried to turn around to avoid the LaGuardia airspace and ethier; A.) Lost control of the airplane momentarily (stall/spin), recovered and found himself pointed at a building or B.) simply ran out of room turning around.

Old Texan
10-12-2006, 01:00 PM
OT, you are correct, my mistake.
I've talked to a few Citation operators over the years about it, they always said it was his flight instructor that was riding right seat put the airplane in the dirt that morning... tragic in any event.
As far as the crash yesterday. The pilot of the Cirrus was flying up the East River VFR corridor, which basically dead ends at LaGuardia's airspace, just past the building where the crash occured. That corridor is there mainly for Helo operators using a Heliport right on the river, not really for sightseeing. The VFR corridor was created so operators wouldn't have to contact ATC to fly through the airspace. It's pretty narrow right there as far as airspace goes, from what I understand.
Speculation on the aviation boards is saying it appears the pilot tried to turn around to avoid the LaGuardia airspace and ethier; A.) Lost control of the airplane momentarily (stall/spin), recovered and found himself pointed at a building or B.) simply ran out of room turning around.
Kinda sad that athletes sometimes think they're somewhat more bulletproof then regular folks. Not by any means trying to insinuate anything, but as memory serves me I recall talk that Munson wasn't qualified to fly the aircraft yet without his instructor and just ignored that and went out with a couple buddies.
Sounds like Lidle maybe was skirting a few rules also. Whatever happened in either case it's sad.

ratso
10-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Kinda sad that athletes sometimes think they're somewhat more bulletproof then regular folks. Not by any means trying to insinuate anything, but as memory serves me I recall talk that Munson wasn't qualified to fly the aircraft yet without his instructor and just ignored that and went out with a couple buddies.
Sounds like Lidle maybe was skirting a few rules also. Whatever happened in either case it's sad.
...like Kennedy and John Denver.

BBB
10-12-2006, 01:19 PM
It's now being reported that he was accompanied by his flight instructor who was not a NYC local.... They were on a sight seeing flight of the area.