PDA

View Full Version : Going the 15 N and need some alternative routes

DILLIGAF
10-11-2006, 02:48 PM
I need to run out to Bullhead this weekend and I understand the 15 will be closed. Can anybody recommend some good alternative routes for me? I usually take the 15M to the 40E.
This is assuming the 15 will be closed NB around the 215 interchange.....
Thanks

voodoomedman
10-11-2006, 02:50 PM
I need to run out to Bullhead this weekend and I understand the 15 will be closed. Can anybody recommend some good alternative routes for me? I usually take the 15M to the 40E.
Thanks
Umm actually I think it's Southbound that's screwed up right now. I could be wrong but check that first.
As far as an alternate route go the 10 out to the 62 (highway up to yucca and twenty nine palms) from there you can take Amboy road out past the construction on the 40 and you know your way from there. Do a search on here or get out a Thomas Guide or something for the exact turn by turns though.

burtandnancy
10-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Yes, it is only southbound this weekend (see caltrans8info). You're better off going the 10 - 62 Yucca Valley - cross over to Amboy - Essex - 40. You may have some fun too, if you've got a fast car, there are some sections out there with no speed limits...

Jordy
10-11-2006, 03:36 PM
I need to run out to Bullhead this weekend
Don't you think you'd be better off driving or at least walking at a slow pace??? I mean, at your age, you never can be too careful and wouldn't want to blow a hip out. :D :D :D

racecar.hotshoe
10-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Yes, it is only southbound this weekend (see caltrans8info). You're better off going the 10 - 62 Yucca Valley - cross over to Amboy - Essex - 40. You may have some fun too, if you've got a fast car, there are some sections out there with no speed limits...
Yep thats the way I would go.

Moabirick
10-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Thanks
The 62 is a breeze, take 10 east, 62 north to 29 palms. As you get into 29 palms, get gas if you need it, make a left on Adobe towards the base, as your coming down the steep hill, make a right on Amboy, stay on Amboy until you reach T intersection (old route 66), make right, you will go through the town of Amboy (small town, no gas) from Amboy takes about 45 minutes to get to the 40 freeway and you know the rest. I love this route, take it all the time unless flooded. They have recently repaved a good amount of it except through the salt flats (real bumpy through here, but not for long, hold on to your beer). Happy saling.

Captain Dan
10-11-2006, 04:45 PM
10 to the 62 into Twentynine Palms, left on Adobe Road (7-11 gas station on corner), go 2 miles north to Amboy Road, turn right and go all the way to Rte 66 in Amboy, head east through Essex to the Mountain Springs/I-40 ramp.
Surely you have gone this way before, haven't you? It's the only way I go to Laughlin from the IE.

Moabirick
10-11-2006, 04:49 PM
10 to the 62 into Twentynine Palms, left on Adobe Road (7-11 gas station on corner), go 2 miles north to Amboy Road, turn right and go all the way to Rte 66 in Amboy, head east through Essex to the Mountain Springs/I-40 ramp.
Surely you have gone this way before, haven't you? It's the only way I go to Laughlin from the IE.
I hear you capt. Just a relaxing drive for me, no big rigs to stress over. No po po for the most part also. I have tripped it from my house in Riverside to Moabi and it is about 30 miles shorter to go through Amboy.

Captain Dan
10-11-2006, 04:55 PM
I hear you capt. Just a relaxing drive for me, no big rigs to stress over. No po po for the most part also. I have tripped it from my house in Riverside to Moabi and it is about 30 miles shorter to go through Amboy.
I haven't been through there this year - last time I was through there was some pretty f-ed up pavement near the salt flats and up the hill from there - still better than the I-40, though. I agree - I have clocked it at less mileage as well and less stress.

SoCalHD
10-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Hey Tom, we are headed out to Laughlin for the weekend as well. The wife and I will be using the 10-62-40 route as well. Its an easy drive, and less stress than the 15-40. Come over to mi casa, we'll throw rocks at Phat Matt, and head out!!!lolol

voodoomedman
10-11-2006, 06:05 PM
I am probably leaving Saturday night somewhere around 7P or so but throwing those rocks sounds like fun....lol
I have never been that way before. I have only taken the 15-40. I have always been pretty much able to go at times when there has been less traffic. Taking this route at night....would it be difficult to find any of these turns?
Ya Jordy....I guess I shouldn't run the entire way :rolleyes:
Thanks everybody
Tom
7 pm on a Saturday night just go the 15 to the 40

Jyruiz
10-11-2006, 06:25 PM
I am going the 10-62 way this Friday, first time I will be trying it, going solo so I will check it out before I drive with the family thru there.

Throttle
10-11-2006, 06:32 PM
headed out Saturday am... maybe I will give this way a try... :idea:

voodoomedman
10-11-2006, 07:08 PM
headed out Saturday am... maybe I will give this way a try... :idea:
Saturday am it would be better to go 15 to 40.
The way through 29 palms seems like it takes forever and around the salt flats the road sucks. Don't get me wrong it is a good alternative to Laughlin but if the 15 is not an issue then that is almost always better. Going to Havasu we go 15 to the 40 if it's non peak times otherwise we go out the 10. If you want to avoid Rice Road it seems that Ehrenburg would be better. Going to Laughlin then use 29 palms Amboy road. Now on the way home on Sunday use this route as the 15 will suck.

Sin Cal
10-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Tom heading out on Friday morning. I'll be riding the bike. It should take me 7 hours to reach Bullhead. Need to check on the house and boat. I also need to bring my truck back. If things look good may be on the water Sat. :cool:

Hardly Satisfied
10-12-2006, 01:06 AM
get a airplane

CampbellCarl
10-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Tom
Depending on where you are in BHC, stay on the amboy/Rt66 (pass the Essex turn), make a left to stay on old Rt66 (signs say to Goffs) go under the 40, Goffs road dead-ends into US95, go left, north to 163 (?) turn right, goes down the hill, across the Riverside Bridge and becomes Bullhead Parkway. Poof! no 15 or 40 at all! From door to door (Whittier to KathLand) the above adds 3 miles to the 15/40 crap. I found my way on the above route one 3 day weekend when I came down Goffs to get onto the 40(coming home) and found the 40 westbound stopped! I saw a p/u and boat exit the 40 and I followed them (had CA plates so I thought WTF, I'll see where these guys go!) It's posted 55 but most run around 70+. It's a nice alternative, try it some time (or wait, if I tell too many people, the secret will be out). Nevermind, go the 15/40, it's the BEST!
Carl

Shawny Mac
10-12-2006, 10:45 AM
If you get on the 10 east, to the 215 north, you will hit the 15 north in less than 15 minutes, and you will have gone around the 15 fwy problems. If you check the "AAA" website, there is a link to Cal Trans that shows where the construction is taking place.

Shawny Mac
10-12-2006, 10:49 AM
http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist8/i15devore/

BlackedoutF250
10-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Im taking the Adrenaline up to Laughlin early Saturday morning would it be wise to go on the 15 to the 40 or should I go the 10 to 62. Also Ive never been this way before is the 10 to 62 route alright for pulling a boat.
Thanks John
Unique Performance West, Inc.
www.uniqueperformancewest.com
714-865-3502

voodoomedman
10-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Im taking the Adrenaline up to Laughlin early Saturday morning would it be wise to go on the 15 to the 40 or should I go the 10 to 62. Also Ive never been this way before is the 10 to 62 route alright for pulling a boat.
Thanks John
Unique Performance West, Inc.
www.uniqueperformancewest.com
714-865-3502
I will say once again. On a Saturday morning you don't have traffic on the 15. Go the 15 to the 40. For the next few weeks see what section is being of the 15 is being worked on and adjust route or time. This weekend it is the Southbound side so you may need to adjust coming home but basically everything will be routed down the 215 so it should be too bad at this point. The 10 to the 62 is a great alternative but seems neverending. However if towing I would rather be on the 15 to the 40. Between 29 Palms and the 40 and curvy, two lanes and the road is bumpy and sucks through all of the salt flats.

THOR
10-12-2006, 12:57 PM
I spoke to the Cal trans folks and they said that the NB I15 wont be a problem, only the SB this weekend. SB I15 at Devore will be forced to take I215 through Riverside.
I am also leaving Friday mid morning and as of now,there doesnt seem like much is going on.