PDA

View Full Version : Daytona VS Gullwing

Taylorman
10-13-2006, 08:42 AM
So what's the pro's and cons of a 19" Daytona style hull (Cheyenne, Daytona, Stealth) and a TX-19. These seem to be the most popular go fast hulls.

cyclone
10-13-2006, 09:02 AM
They Daytona and Cheyenne are real stable at high speed, run over chop easily but do not turn well.

Sanger Jet
10-13-2006, 11:11 AM
My Question is where can I find one minus engine???

Duane HTP
10-13-2006, 12:11 PM
I have one for sale. PM Me.

Placecraft Dragstar
10-13-2006, 12:23 PM
????

pce680
10-13-2006, 12:25 PM
I have 2 Cheyenne's FOR SALE. PM me

olbiezer
10-13-2006, 03:19 PM
last saturday i saw a blown alcohol tx type pitch a guy at about 80mph then sunday a blown daytona did very stable 120+ run like he was on rails....... :) :rollside:

HammerDown
10-13-2006, 04:28 PM
They like a lot of power and not saying I have enough...but you can throw all ya want at it.
My 21 below offers a ride second to none, and turns rather nicley.
I'm hooked...I'll never own another type of hull.
edit...now getting Insurance for this Hull is another story.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/10641983_Daytona.jpg

steelcomp
10-13-2006, 06:05 PM
So what's the pro's and cons of a 19" Daytona style hull (Cheyenne, Daytona, Stealth) and a TX-19. These seem to be the most popular go fast hulls. Really, the most popular go-fast hulls are the Daytona type, and the 18 CP Tunnel. Pro's and cons for racing...The gullwings are quick, and there are some real hard running 18's but they're on the very edge, near about 8.40-8.50 in the 120 mph range in the quarter. Daytonas are better, but you really need to know what you're doing running that speed/et with one of those, as well, or you can get in real trouble, real quick. They will run a lot faster, though, when done right. The CP tunnel has issues of it's own, but seems to be a very "speed friendly" platform, but if you've been to Ming lately, you can see the mods Jeff Bennet has come up with to solve the shut-down issues the CP has when going that fast. If I had my choice for a race boat, it'd be the CP tunnel. If you want unlimited performance, with unlimited power, the mod-v is probably the safest, although not necessarily the quickest hull...it has some air entrapment capability, but nothing like the CP or the pickleforks, and has far less a tendancy to blow over.
Pro's and cons...for river...Daytona rides likie nothing else, has good performance with moderate power, but limited on interior space. Gullwing, both 18 & 19 are good performance boats, ride a little rougher, but have good interior space, especially the 19. They turn better than the pickleforks too.

Gearhead
10-13-2006, 07:41 PM
last saturday i saw a blown alcohol tx type pitch a guy at about 80mph then sunday a blown daytona did very stable 120+ run like he was on rails....... :) :rollside:
Olbiezer... I would consider it correct to say that a blown alcohol motor is a bit too much power for a TX-19, but the boat you are referring to, Orange and checkerboard, did look like a TX-19, but is more of a hybrid constructed in Oklahoma. It has more of a Predator top and an Earl Smith tunnel bottom. The BA motor may have been a bit much for that hull too.
And as Steelcomp relates, the Gullwings are quicker for the first 600 to 800 foot than a tunnel, ride and handle well on the lake and respond well to low horsepower. Depending on which of the tunnels you compare, they respond to different levels of power, definately ride smooth and run high speeds safer and are quicker on the high end of the track.

Wicked Performance Boats
10-14-2006, 08:16 AM
Tunnels are great straight line accelerating hulls and as said before, they ride well over rough water. as well as safer over 100mph when pushing the upper limit. However they don't turn for diddly except at very low speeds. The gullwing does accelerate faster to about 800 foot mark but care must be taken after 100mph.[Scotten says his are safe to 110mph running with the wind] Setup is critical to safe gullwings over 100mph. However gullwings handle and turn way better than tunnels. Also a big deciding factor when purchasing one is how you feel sitting in a tunnel hull verses a gullwing. A tunnel hull requires you to sit on top of the tunnel which is about 3 or 4 inches higher. In a drag only boat, it makes it eaiser to leave or exit the boat when the boat becomes unstable or makes a bad move for any unexpected reason. Gullwings place you lower in the boat and make it harder to pitch you or your passengers out. In my opinion if you are primarily going drag racing and top speed is your main goal, stick with a tunnel. If you are building a river race boat that will see duty on 3day weekendsat the river or lake, skiing, tube pulling or just cruising. Buy a gullwing. Just go for a handling test ride in both before you buy. If you feel comfortable in it, then buy it. Just my .02 Budlight

Gearhead
10-14-2006, 06:01 PM
I pretty well agree with Pat too. Interesting fact is back when the TX-19 was originally constructed, it was designed as a circle boat. Back in the mid 70's the circle racing was the most popular and drags were run during the breaks. Later, times changed and the circle boats drifted away and the drags took the lead... although the TX-19 remained, as it ran the drags well too. I would never consider my tunnel as any kind of a circle boat! :)

bp
10-15-2006, 08:41 AM
The gullwing does accelerate faster to about 800 foot mark but care must be taken after 100mph.[Scotten says his are safe to 110mph running with the wind] Setup is critical to safe gullwings over 100mph. However gullwings handle and turn way better than tunnels.
he's said lots of things. like, cp tunnels wouldn't blow over; until jerry did it about 15 years ago. i'd suggest that setup is critical if you're going over 80. and if you're going to own/drive any of them, a person should have -some- understanding of the dynamics of the setup, what is important and why. i've seen an 18' 110mph gullwing fly up and out of the water at 700', and fortunately, get lucky to have it come back down keel first. gullwings can be set up to be safe over 110, just like they can be setup to be safe over 80. from my perspective, anything can be set up to blow over or hook under 100, just like the same boat can be set up to run well to 125.
Also a big deciding factor when purchasing one is how you feel sitting in a tunnel hull verses a gullwing. A tunnel hull requires you to sit on top of the tunnel which is about 3 or 4 inches higher. In a drag only boat, it makes it eaiser to leave or exit the boat when the boat becomes unstable or makes a bad move for any unexpected reason. Gullwings place you lower in the boat and make it harder to pitch you or your passengers out.
i had a cp tunnel in my back yard for over a year, and i never did "feel comfortable" sitting in it, mainly because it was so much different than my boat. had i committed to race it, i'm sure i would have become comfortable. all of these things take time to get used to.
as far as dragboat application, i've seen guys get spit out of pretty much everything, and people can get hurt no matter where the seat is, or what boat they're sitting in. bottom line, don't get way beyond your existing experience level (i.e., going from a 60mph river boat to a 120mph drag boat) in one lap. go up in stages, so a sense/feeling is developed of what is right and what is not. the best way to save yourself is knowing when the boat is starting to get out of control and seperating yourself from it (no matter where you're sitting). plus, there are places where too fast is really too fast for the conditions, and others can be placed in harms way as much as anyone in the boat.
In my opinion if you are primarily going drag racing and top speed is your main goal, stick with a tunnel. If you are building a river race boat that will see duty on 3day weekendsat the river or lake, skiing, tube pulling or just cruising. Buy a gullwing. Just go for a handling test ride in both before you buy. If you feel comfortable in it, then buy it. Just my .02 Budlight
in my opinion, either one can be used for either application, and it boils down to what you like, or what you think you like. gullwings have been very very successful in dragracing. with either one, if you're thinking of race OR speed application, just planting an engine in one is when the work begins, and potential owner/drivers need to understand that.

PC Rat
10-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Has anyone seen a 21' Daytona blow over?

pce680
10-15-2006, 04:40 PM
Gullwings are great for brackets,but the tunnels replaced them over 20 years ago in the Pro classes.

bp
10-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Gullwings are great for brackets,but the tunnels replaced them over 20 years ago in the Pro classes.
..because nobody's tryin' anymore. it's just sos, different year :cool: .
the vast majority of drag racing IS brackets. not making any comparisons or saying one thing's better than another, that's just the way it is...