PDA

View Full Version : Red Bluff to Sacramento

Redding Rat
10-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Has anyone traveled via the Sacramento River from Red Bluff to the delta area? I know I would need to launch below the rapids in Red Bluff, but I was wondering if there are any other problem areas along the river. I will be traveling in a 22 ft I/O so I will be sitting a bit low in the water. How about no wake zones, are theyÂ’re a lot? I was hoping to cruse about 30 or so I was also wondering about how long the trip would take. Any comments or ideas would be welcomed.
Redding Rat

DCBob
10-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Has anyone traveled via the Sacramento River from Red Bluff to the delta area? I know I would need to launch below the rapids in Red Bluff, but I was wondering if there are any other problem areas along the river. I will be traveling in a 22 ft I/O so I will be sitting a bit low in the water. How about no wake zones, are theyÂ’re a lot? I was hoping to cruse about 30 or so I was also wondering about how long the trip would take. Any comments or ideas would be welcomed.
Redding Rat
Probably need a bow rider to watch out for shallow rocks etc. and idle most of the way until you get to Colusa. Should be OK from there to Sac watching out to stay mid river away from snags etc. Should take 8-10 hrs depending on stops etc. Bring a map of the Delta and a spare prop. It will be a great trip for ya, enjoy :)

buzzaro
10-14-2006, 05:27 AM
Only place ive been through there is tubin down the river when I lived in chico and i know the river was REALLY shallow from Hamilton city back to Scotty's Landing. Only a couple mile stretch through there but I imagine lot of the river is that way in that area. Wide shallow and slow. Definately take it easy and be careful. Good Luck should be a great ride.

Kindsvater Flat
10-14-2006, 05:47 AM
You will never make it to colusa with an I/O. North of Hamilton City there is a gradiant project which put large boulders just below the water surface. A jet would be ok though. And down where I'm at you can walk across. But from Colusa to Sac shouldn't be any problem.

Redding Rat
10-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks for all the info, looks like I will stay away from north of Colusa!

abraman1326
10-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Keep us posted though, this sounds like an incredible trip...
BRA

HCS
10-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Ah........Gas will be a problem. There are no marina's with fuel from Colusa
to Rio Ramaza. And that's if Rio Ramaza is even open anymore.
If their not open good luck. Better carry some gas cans full of gas on the
back of your Jeep. I'm mean boat. :D
Atleast your heading down stream. Hope you don't want to get back. :rolleyes:

MOBrien
10-16-2006, 12:01 PM
you'll never get through the Hamilton City-to-Scotty's area. That is unless you've got an aluminum river jet. An I/O will not make it on this trip.

deltarat
10-16-2006, 12:14 PM
you'll never get through the Hamilton City-to-Scotty's area. That is unless you've got an aluminum river jet. An I/O will not make it on this trip.
Sound like this might be one more trip Mo wont be making! j/k
Are you gonna make Hookie Day?

Redding Rat
10-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Sounds like I need to do more investigating, thanks again for all the info

MOBrien
10-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Sound like this might be one more trip Mo wont be making! j/k
Are you gonna make Hookie Day?
you turkey, you already know the answer to this. :yuk: Work is 100% priority for me right now. Got too much going on this quarter.......... But I'll be on the water a lot after Jan 1....

abraman1326
10-16-2006, 12:28 PM
you turkey, you already know the answer to this. :yuk: Work is 100% priority for me right now. Got too much going on this quarter.......... But I'll be on the water a lot after Jan 1....
Mo does all of his boating during the 1st quarter of the year...
BRA

BajaMike
10-16-2006, 03:01 PM
I used to live on a farm on the Sacramento River just above Hamilton City (Capay), and we would often drive our kayaks in the truck up to the bridge at Red Bluff and kayak down to the farm. This was in the summer time.
There were some real shallow spots and gravelly spots between Red Bluff and Hamilton City....some places just enough water for a kayak. I agree with the others, anything but an aluminum jet boat, and you should stay down river from Colusa. :idea:

DCBob
10-16-2006, 03:02 PM
You will never make it to colusa with an I/O. North of Hamilton City there is a gradiant project which put large boulders just below the water surface. A jet would be ok though. And down where I'm at you can walk across. But from Colusa to Sac shouldn't be any problem.
Hey, sorry for the bad 411. Last time I made the trip you could still get gas in Colusa and make it all the way up to Red Bluff.

HCS
10-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey, sorry for the bad 411. Last time I made the trip you could still get gas in Colusa and make it all the way up to Red Bluff.
That's the big trip from north of Sacramento to Colusa.
If I launch at Verona north of Sac with a full tank of gas I can make it to
Colusa. Then I have to gas up in Colusa to make it back to Verona. :)