PDA

View Full Version : WOW, Cat insurance cheaper than I would have imagined.

beaverretriever
10-13-2006, 12:48 PM
As many of you know, I just purchased a new boat this yr but Im always looking and want to go to a tunnel in the next 2 seasons.
I checked with my current insurance company and they said for a 26 cat ( gave them the name of a few models) with 450-550hp, it was only 800.00 a yr with no layup. I figured 75-95,000.00 full replacement as well. I was sure it would be 3000.00 a yr like many people were saying on here.
Just thought I would share.

Goad
10-13-2006, 12:56 PM
thats cheaper then what I was paying for my 1979 48hp 1.5L diesel vw rabbit last year....the car was only valued at 1,000....and that was the minimum coverage required by the state of california.
thats a great deal.

beaverretriever
10-13-2006, 12:59 PM
thats cheaper then what I was paying for my 1979 48hp 1.5L diesel vw rabbit last year....the car was only valued at 1,000....and that was the minimum coverage required by the state of california.
thats a great deal.
Im not sure why its so cheap. Maybe because its NV. Car insurance here is just as much or more than Cali though. We have the worst drivers EVER!

OutCole'd
10-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Im not sure why its so cheap. Maybe because its NV. Car insurance here is just as much or more than Cali though. We have the worst drivers EVER!
Aint that the truth!!

Restless22
10-13-2006, 01:34 PM
What company is it through?

beaverretriever
10-13-2006, 01:44 PM
What company is it through?
American Family. I have 2 vehicles and 2 homes with them. Lucky for me, my company lets me ride a Harley for free and pays the insurance.

YeLLowBoaT
10-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Can't be worse then the drivers in medesto... I recently did some work for a family freind there. no bs from the light at the end of the off ramp to the other side of the over pass, I saw 2 wrecks happen in less then 30 sec and I could have written atlast 10 tickets for running red lights.( the red light came had about 20 secs of strait flashes) And this was on a sat at about 10 am, I would hate to think what "rush hour" would look like. I don't even want to tell you how bad it was driving the 4 miles to get to there house ont he surface streets.

havaduner
10-13-2006, 01:52 PM
John, Dont want to rain on your parade, but,,,,,,,,
I doubt you'll get them to actually write that policy when an underwriter gets ahold of it., especially if you go over the magic number of 500 hp.

blender over
10-13-2006, 01:57 PM
I just bought a cat and got insurance through state farm, 26ft carrera 2002 with a 496mag, $475.00 year no layup, insured for 50k :)

beaverretriever
10-13-2006, 03:13 PM
John, Dont want to rain on your parade, but,,,,,,,,
I doubt you'll get them to actually write that policy when an underwriter gets ahold of it., especially if you go over the magic number of 500 hp.
I narrowed it down to a 26' Cobra like yours with either the 496ho, or the 525, and she said the 496ho would be 798.60 and the 525 would be quite more. The # she gave me for the 496 is correct and wouldnt change. Who knows though.
Funny, that you replied to this thread. Since I saw your boat all I can think about is a cat. I love your boat but I dont think I can swing the cost with the Teague that you have.
What does the 26' 260 Venom with a 496ho start at cost wise?
I sure like that new 26 ULTRA as well, that thing is sick.

Kilrtoy
10-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Im gonna tell you right now, you will not be happy...
I know of 4 people right now that wiszh they would have listened to me and GONE BIGGER,
2 of which are in the process of going bigger and one went with bigger power.
Even the 525 is gonna run out of fun quick...
and like stated WAIT TIL THE UNDER WRITER GETS AHOLD OF IT,DENIED

voodoomedman
10-13-2006, 03:38 PM
I know of 4 people right now that wiszh they would have listened to me and GONE BIGGER,
At 24 and 25 feet I think a 496 is okay but a 525 would be nice. Once you go above that it's pretty much a minimum of a 525. I don't think you have to go with a rocket engine but don't underpower it. These are ***boats not Chapparels and such. If your going to take an hour to get on plane then buy a boat that looks like that. Basically don't be the guy that buys the full size pickup with a 6 cylinder in it.

shadow
10-13-2006, 04:00 PM
I beg to differ! Get what you want a 525 can be just fine.Sure more HP would be nice but the difference btween a v bottom and a cat with a 525 is night and day difference.You'll get 80mph which is a respectable speed and most of the time you won't be running 80 anyway.Insurance is still affordable.
Sure i'd love to have more HP,But not the insurance bill to go along with it.
I can still afford to boat & to have other toys and hobbies all year and enjoy the benifits of the ride of a cat.
Now on the other hand if you have an ego like Miquel and want to convince everyone you missed your calling as a "race boat driver" :D and nothing else matters than the century mark. Go big and pay the price otherwise enjoy what you can afford there are thousands out there with 496's & 525's that love them.

andy01
10-13-2006, 04:11 PM
I beg to differ! Get what you want a 525 can be just fine.Sure more HP would be nice but the difference btween a v bottom and a cat with a 525 is night and day difference.You'll get 80mph which is a respectable speed and most of the time you won't be running 80 anyway.Insurance is still affordable.
I can still afford to boat & to have other toys and hobbies all year and enjoy the benifits of the ride of a cat.
Now on the other hand if you have an ego like Miquel and want to convince everyone you missed your calling as a "race boat driver" :D and nothing else matters than the century mark. Go big and pay the price otherwise enjoy what you can afford there are thousands out there with 496's & 525's that love them.
Crack smoker.........
Darrel don't lie to the man, you know a cat needs 750 hp for starters. And needs to see a 100. I know I am looking to go up in speed........ I would like to have a 200 mph cat, I driven a cat to 152mph and wanted more. I then think I would be happy and stop shopping @ 200.
Well maybe not.

shadow
10-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Crack smoker.........
Darrel don't lie to the man, you know a cat needs 750 hp for starters. And needs to see a 100. I know I am looking to go up in speed........ I would like to have a 200 mph cat, I driven a cat to 152mph and wanted more. I then think I would be happy and stop shopping @ 200.
Well maybe not.
Andy you will never be happy, :) I've seen you go through atleast 3 boats maybe 4 or 5 since i've known you.
Keep in mind i'm talking about the average joe boater who hits the Lake or river a couple times a month for the summer and just wants to hang out with friends and do some boating.
Now if'n i had your dough i'd have 2 boats one for hanging out and 1 for spanking migurl. :D
Just mess'n with ya Kilr. :)

Kilrtoy
10-13-2006, 04:38 PM
. Basically don't be the guy that buys the full size pickup with a 6 cylinder in it.
That is pretty much what everone does to there boat

Kilrtoy
10-13-2006, 04:42 PM
REALLY, we both know someone who after driving his boat with less than 5 hours on it said THIS BOAT IS TOO SLOW and it had a 525.
As a matter of fact I think he just went BIG, really big... and I think it is has the DCB orange on the backend
I know someone else who has a viper 625 in his boat and all he does is complain it is too slow and it runs 80.
Hell I ran up past the sandbar turned around and ran all the way back to the channel at 100mph and I was think Damn I need more speed...
Arent you running 600HP because your stock 496 was TOO SLOW....
FIY, I can pay for the extra 1100 dollars ins for 4 months but why, I dont have any time....

Kilrtoy
10-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Crack smoker.........
Well maybe not.
UMMMMMMMM, Im thinking your new boat sould be in the high 120's AM I RIGHT :boxed:

XTRM22
10-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Not me, I have the Toyota Landcruiser of boats! Looks cool, does everything I want, would be nice to be faster but not really neccessary, and just keeps going and going.....screw the landcruiser analogy I own the energizer bunny of boats!!!!!!
Chuck
I may or not have been drinking while posting this :)

Kilrtoy
10-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Dont be mad Darrell, because my 600HP boat runs over 100MPH and airs out like it is designed to do
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3661air.JPG
and your 600HP boat is still pushing water at ONLY 80MPH(NOT ACTUALLY DARRELLS BOAT)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/4972002ultra27.JPG :p

shadow
10-13-2006, 04:58 PM
REALLY, we both know someone who after driving his boat with less than 5 hours on it said THIS BOAT IS TOO SLOW and it had a 525.
As a matter of fact I think he just went BIG, really big... and I think it is has the DCB orange on the backend
I know someone else who has a viper 625 in his boat and all he does is complain it is too slow and it runs 80.
Hell I ran up past the sandbar turned around and ran all the way back to the channel at 100mph and I was think Damn I need more speed...
Arent you running 600HP because your stock 496 was TOO SLOW....
FIY, I can pay for the extra 1100 dollars ins for 4 months but why, I dont have any time....
Kilr,guess i just think i'm fortunate to have the things i have and if i can only go 80mph than so be it.Theres a million people out there that would give there left nut for a cat that goes 80.
Not trying to be the fastest,just enjoying what i got and having a good time
at it.
Off to Martini bay,Later. :)

beaverretriever
10-13-2006, 05:00 PM
LOL, you guys crack me up. I never said I was getting a 496, I just asked what insurance would be.
Im not sure what I will go with. Its 2 seasons away. I was just doing some research.
My slowboat is fine for 2 more seasons. Im going Sunday with the ol GPS to see what it will do. Im guessing 59mph. We will see. Im hoping more.
Whatever I buy, it will look good. Better to look good than be good. :cool:
I would be happy with a boat that does 85 or so.

shadow
10-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Dont be mad Darrell, because my 600HP boat runs over 100MPH and airs out like it is designed to do
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3661air.JPG
and your 600HP boat is still pushing water at ONLY 80MPH(NOT ACTUALLY DARRELLS BOAT)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/4972002ultra27.JPG :p
OK Miquel,you got me you're boat is so cool. :rolleyes:

Phat Matt
10-13-2006, 05:20 PM
American Family will drop you if your boat goes over 70mph. Trust me. I had it paid in full for a year. The policy only lasted a couple of months. I had a great rate though. $970 for 850hp. :D

beaverretriever
10-13-2006, 05:36 PM
American Family will drop you if your boat goes over 70mph. Trust me. I had it paid in full for a year. The policy only lasted a couple of months. I had a great rate though. $970 for 850hp. :D
How do they know how fast it goes. When I got my new boat, all they did was ask how fast. They told me if goes over 85 that is when it makes a difference.

Kilrtoy
10-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Kilr,guess i just think i'm fortunate to have the things i have and if i can only go 80mph than so be it.Theres a million people out there that would give there left nut for a cat that goes 80.
Not trying to be the fastest,just enjoying what i got and having a good time
at it.
Off to Martini bay,Later. :)
So true there are tons of people that wished they just owned ANY BOAT...
maybe we will stop and have some beers with ya later

racecar.hotshoe
10-13-2006, 06:13 PM
What do you have with 850hp :rolleyes: It must be goldies car..... :crossx: