PDA

View Full Version : Which valve cover gaskets?

wet77
10-13-2006, 02:47 PM
I have a mechanical cam so the valve covers come off to set lash every now and again and after 5-6 times of that they now leak in the corners :yuk:
I am using the flepro/rubber with steel inside type.
I am thinking about sealing them to the valve covers to help on the leaking.
Anyone have good luck with a certain type let me know :rollside:

Wicked Performance Boats
10-13-2006, 04:45 PM
I have fel-pros too. Are yours the ribbed embossed ones? I had one set for years, never had a problem. Budlight

wet77
10-13-2006, 05:42 PM
they are smooth on both sides metal core, black rubber.

Wicked Performance Boats
10-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Buy the ribbed ones. Felpro makes them or chevrolet dealer. Not cheap but worth every penney. Budlight

wet77
10-13-2006, 06:22 PM
I think I will start searching for those :)
You wouldnt happen to have a part #
or a link to what they look like?

GofastRacer
10-13-2006, 06:54 PM
they are smooth on both sides metal core, black rubber.
Those are junk, get the factory ones or Fel-Pro's they are the same!..

FASTRAT
10-14-2006, 10:24 AM
I have a mechanical cam so the valve covers come off to set lash every now and again and after 5-6 times of that they now leak in the corners :yuk:
I am using the flepro/rubber with steel inside type.
I am thinking about sealing them to the valve covers to help on the leaking.
Anyone have good luck with a certain type let me know :rollside:
a little trick that i learned/used back in the day when i was racing my SBC nitro dragster was to silicone a cork gasket to the valve cover & put white grease on the side that went on the head...pulled covers after every round to set lifters & never had a leak...just a suggestion
fastrat

AzMandella
10-14-2006, 11:33 AM
a little trick that i learned/used back in the day when i was racing my SBC nitro dragster was to silicone a cork gasket to the valve cover & put white grease on the side that went on the head...pulled covers after every round to set lifters & never had a leak...just a suggestion
fastratThats the way I do it.No leaks in 3 seasons to this date.

wet77
10-14-2006, 02:22 PM
fastrat
I was thinking of trying the silicon to the valve cover idea too. Glad to hear it works.
Are you using the Fel-pro cork ones? Or the blue ones?

FASTRAT
10-15-2006, 09:00 AM
I was thinking of trying the silicon to the valve cover idea too. Glad to hear it works.
Are you using the Fel-pro cork ones? Or the blue ones?
i used Mr Gasket cork gaskets (paid contingency $$)
i think the blue 1's are better, but, either 1 will work
dont use the spray-on white grease...use the grease out of the tube
fastrat

blowngas
10-15-2006, 09:36 AM
thinking of trying the silicon to the valve cover
use the yellow "gorilla snot" 3M weatherstripping glue-----works the best, sets up quick, stays in palce------use grease on head side to keep from sticking-----I've used cork gaskets like this for full seasons and more

River Rat 005
10-15-2006, 03:59 PM
I've been using Summit steel core gaskets for 4 years now, no problems. They're 13 bucks. Sealing on stamped covers.

PE 316
10-16-2006, 03:57 PM
GM Part# 14085759 - Valve Cover Gasket (1 per package)

franky
10-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Buy the ribbed ones. Felpro makes them or chevrolet dealer. Not cheap but worth every penney. Budlight
chicks dig them