PDA

View Full Version : Another Hero in our prayers

spectratoad
10-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Definitely a man among men
Navy Seal Gives life for his team (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15258312/) :frown:

76ANTHONY
10-14-2006, 10:38 AM
read that yesterday, whata a hero. not many men would even consider saving lives of those you work with, by taking your own....

Old Texan
10-14-2006, 10:46 AM
A true hero. He gave his life to protect his friends and the USA.
A pox on the first lib that calls it stupid and you know some a-hole will. :mad:
There's just nothing you can say that could show the honor and the class of a great man like Mr. Monsoor. He and his brothers in arms are why this great country will survive. God's speed. :(

Froggystyle
10-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Yeah, that is pretty bad ass. I can say with 100% certainty that where "all of his motion was downward on it" mine would have been all spent throwing it. Seriously. I can't imagine the heroism required to make that decision in the period of time you would have.
The certainly don't teach us to jump on it. Kick it, throw it, get the hell away from it etc... Just put distance between you and it. Any distance you can get adds huge percentages to your life expectancy. Grenades blow up, not out for the most part.
What a shame. I know a couple of folks who knew him and say he was a truly wonderful guy. He left behind a family too. He came along way after I left.
I am going to donate to the Naval Special Warriors fund in his name. That is bravery and heroism I don't think I could see myself rising to. What an example for anyone who aspires to wear the SEAL Trident.

3 daytona`s
10-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Definitely a man among men
Navy Seal Gives life for his team (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15258312/) :frown:
I have two thoughts after reading this,alot of people talk the talk,only a few walk the walk. The other sickening thought is these ass-holes that go and protest at our hero`s funerals sit across from the cemetary and disrupt the family`s last chance to honor their son or daughter. :mad:

SandbarScot
10-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Yeah, that is pretty bad ass. I can say with 100% certainty that where "all of his motion was downward on it" mine would have been all spent throwing it. Seriously. I can't imagine the heroism required to make that decision in the period of time you would have.
The certainly don't teach us to jump on it. Kick it, throw it, get the hell away from it etc... Just put distance between you and it. Any distance you can get adds huge percentages to your life expectancy. Grenades blow up, not out for the most part.
What a shame. I know a couple of folks who knew him and say he was a truly wonderful guy. He left behind a family too. He came along way after I left.
I am going to donate to the Naval Special Warriors fund in his name. That is bravery and heroism I don't think I could see myself rising to. What an example for anyone who aspires to wear the SEAL Trident.
Well said, Wes.

H20Advantage
10-14-2006, 08:18 PM
Godspeed to Michael. I work with his brother James who is a young and courageous Police Officer on our SED Team. The funeral was last Thursday for his brother. James and the family have taken the loss hard.

HocusPocus
10-14-2006, 08:52 PM
the word heroic doesn't even come close to describing his actions.

JAY4SPEED
10-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Simply amazing to dive on a grenade on instinct! May god bless him and his family for their loss.
Jay

HavasuSelect
10-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Wow. May God bless him and his family. I really am speechless after reading that. Godspeed to a true hero.

GHT
10-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Wes,
You probably know more than most on these board.. His reaction was probably the first thing that he thought of (other thoughts may have been in his head, such as throwing the piece) BUT he one thing he knew he could do for SURE was covering it with his body... That is the one thing he knew and he did it..
May he always be remembered.
Don

Froggystyle
10-16-2006, 08:37 AM
Wes,
You probably know more than most on these board.. His reaction was probably the first thing that he thought of (other thoughts may have been in his head, such as throwing the piece) BUT he one thing he knew he could do for SURE was covering it with his body... That is the one thing he knew and he did it..
May he always be remembered.
Don
It actually disturbs me a bit when I think about it. I am positive I would have tried to save my own ass along with everyone else. I am not saying I would have kicked it at a buddy or something, but the more I think about it, the more I am positive that I wouldn't have jumped on it. The story from people who know more than I is that he just looked down and saw it. He had no idea how long it had been there so he didn't know if he had any time. It was certainly his first instinct, and all I am saying is I don't think I am man enough for it to have been mine.
What a hero.

spectratoad
10-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Yeah I'm with you Wes. I pride myself on being a team player and would have done anything to save myself and the team but I don't think I could have had that frame of mind to lay on it. What he did was total selflessness. Not many hero's to look to nowdays and it is always the common guy that makes you just sit back and say, WOW.
My son (14) is dead set on going into the military, which I fully support and his hope is to be a Navy Seal. He and I watched the military channel yesterday and they were following several weeks of a BUDS class. I tell him that he can get his trident someday it if he really wants it. Tough training and alot of it is where you set your mind.

Froggystyle
10-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Yeah I'm with you Wes. I pride myself on being a team player and would have done anything to save myself and the team but I don't think I could have had that frame of mind to lay on it. What he did was total selflessness. Not many hero's to look to nowdays and it is always the common guy that makes you just sit back and say, WOW.
My son (14) is dead set on going into the military, which I fully support and his hope is to be a Navy Seal. He and I watched the military channel yesterday and they were following several weeks of a BUDS class. I tell him that he can get his trident someday it if he really wants it. Tough training and alot of it is where you set your mind.
BUD/s is merely a matter of going there as a "gonnabe" and not a "wannabe". Train hard ahead of time, be ready to take the punishment and get through it. There is a demon for everyone. Mine was cold. That didn't affect some as much as it did me, but I could have run or swam to the ends of the earth with no problems, and that cratered the dreams of many. I had no problems on the "O" course either. Close to the record in fact. That dropped MANY of my classmates. You had to finish in 8 minutes or something, I was in the fours. I would say a good 30 people dropped because of the O course.
I heard we started with 272 assigned to the class. Of that, only 180 or so made it through the indoc process... Getting dropped before they even started or quitting as soon as they saw the ocean. If you are in that mindset... you don't stand a chance. I took it meal by meal personally. Just make it to the next one. We graduated 28 of the originals.
Only two frogs have died in Iraq now. It certainly says something about the training, we don't show up to die, and there are not planned statistical losses when we do a mission. We plan on bringing everyone home. That is a good thing to know going into stuff, and as a parent you can appreciate.
It is a good profession, and while we by no means have a exclusive on bravery, I think that Petty Officer Monsoor's legacy is going to hold SEALs to an even higher standard. What a loss.

spectratoad
10-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Only two frogs have died in Iraq now.
That's only because the enemy never knows you're there. :) I have always thought the seals were a very dedicated group. I roomed with a few when I was stationed out in Norfolk.
I will have my son read that when he gets home. He still has several years but can't hurt to start the brainwork now is my theory. :cool: