PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs and Head Gaskets

Bow Tie Omega
10-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Hey all. I have a question for the "Knowing". First of all, what spark plugs should I use. I am running a 454 Chevy, Oval Port Heads (polished ports) Forged Pistons, 10:1 compression, Davis Unified Ignition Distributor, Taylor 8.5mm wires, Comp Cams Xtreme Marine 278 cam, yada yada yada. Second of all, concerning my head gaskets. I am running Felpro's for a Mark IV, which is what I have. On all of the water ports on the motor and heads, they look to be 3/4" diameter, however on the head gasket, the holes are about 1/4". This is the second set from a different manufacturer that I have purchased, same thing. Is this ok. I wish I would have saved the old gaskets to compare to but I did not. I just do not want to have issues on the water....Thanks for your advice.

v-drive
10-15-2006, 03:27 PM
If it was not for my boat, my wife would have nothing to complain about. :rollside:
Did she say that or is this something you dreamed up...v-drive(aka)pop

SmokinLowriderSS
10-15-2006, 03:45 PM
They should be fine. I'm having zero issues running ordinary automotive Fel-Pros on my Mk-IV.
At the moment, I'm running AC Delco R-43TS (extended tip) plugs, and it runs just fine. I think if you are trying to shave every possible 1/2HP, there might be a "best" plug, otherwise, run whatever brand you prefer for a 70's auto/truck, cross-list an R-43T or 44T (the TS is extended tip which I think is worth going to).

Some Kind Of Monster
10-15-2006, 10:49 PM
What kind of heads? What are the numbers?

Bow Tie Omega
10-16-2006, 07:45 AM
the head numbers are 353049. They are oval port heads that came standard on Mark IV 454's. I have checked all of this info, given the info to SUmmit and my local autoparts shop and these are the gaskets they have given me on two different occasions, I just wanted to double check.