PDA

View Full Version : Adding an axle

beerjet
10-15-2006, 02:48 PM
I am planning on going from a tandem axle to triple set-up . What is the best way to figure out how far the axles need to be moved to make room for the third .

jimslade
10-24-2006, 06:40 AM
You have to find the balance point on the boat, and work from there. I would make the axles adjustable and set the boat on and adjust for tongue weight.Keep the axles an even distance from each other.

DelawareDave
10-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think, if the tongue weight is correct now, assuming a single axle, then the center, between the 2 new axles should be in about the same place as the current axle.

gochappy
10-24-2006, 04:10 PM
I have two three axle trailers...neither of which haul boats....one has the axles set-up so as you add weight the load drops it down so the next axle touches......the other all six tires touch at once.....that beast chews up a lot of tires on one axle set.....maybe there is somnething wrong with it or maybe thats the nature of the beast on the three axle set-up....have another with two heavy axles with 4 tires per axle and its good on tires so maybe its just the one trailer....I'm sure some other 3 axle trailer users can chirp in here and see if they have a tire problem

VanDeano
10-24-2006, 05:41 PM
I have two three axle trailers...neither of which haul boats....one has the axles set-up so as you add weight the load drops it down so the next axle touches......the other all six tires touch at once.....that beast chews up a lot of tires on one axle set.....maybe there is somnething wrong with it or maybe thats the nature of the beast on the three axle set-up....have another with two heavy axles with 4 tires per axle and its good on tires so maybe its just the one trailer....I'm sure some other 3 axle trailer users can chirp in here and see if they have a tire problem
I agree with chewing up tires. I was going to add an axle to my tandem and was talked out of it for good reasons that I cant remember. but was advised not too, that I would regret it. There advice was too either get larger payload tires are get beefer axles or both. But not too add an axle.

DelawareDave
10-25-2006, 11:23 AM
I regret having a tandem axle every time I go through a toll booth!

beerjet
10-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks a bunch guys . I have a tandem axle set-up right now and the tires look as if they have butterflying affect goin on . Upon closer inspection the axles had some reinforcement welded to the axle its self along it length and at the 90* so these axles need to go and it is a very heavy boat and I figured it would better in the long run to go triple . I would rather it be over kill .

77Woodbridge
11-29-2006, 05:03 PM
I regret having a tandem axle every time I go through a toll booth!
My boat weighs 4250lbs and I wanted to add jet ski racks, so I was thinkin' 3rd rail until I found out what it would cost to move around this toll happy state. Now I'm thinking more beef underneath.

HM
11-30-2006, 07:55 PM
I am adding a 3rd axle to my trailer. I am just adding it to the back. The current axles are a little forward and I barely have any tongue weight right now, so it should work out right. I have looked at other triple axle trailers with similar boats and it would be nearly identical in location.
I have heard the cons of triple axle trailers, but I have known many people with them and they never had the issues people talk about. Now, moving it around by hand will be a major biatch!
Oh, and I am not doing it for pay load, I am doing it for the cool factor.

roostwear
12-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Adding a third axle behind the existing won't do anything for more tonguw weight. Your weight bias is still forward of the first axle (albeit very little), so adding weight behind that may make it worse. Move the boat forward or the front axle back.

rrrr
12-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Oh, and I am not doing it for pay load, I am doing it for the cool factor.
Midgets need all the cool they can get.
Maybe you should run triple axles with 12" wheels so you'll be able to get up on the fenders and look in the boat.
Bwaaaaahahahahahaha!!!!!

lilrick
12-01-2006, 02:22 PM
hehehe!! I have some dolly wheels! that would make it even lower!

bubbletop409
12-01-2006, 06:45 PM
I have a three axle under my boat and like it just the way it is. It spreads the load farther apart on the trailer frame rails and allows you to use a slightly softer spring, lessening the pounding the boat will take going down the road. One thing that becomes more critical is the correct hitch height, too far off and the equalizer links will bottom on the underside of the frame rails as the trailer goes over irregular terrain. Also allows for better braking if that becomes a concern. I have discs on two axles and it stops great, but on a very heavy application that third axle may be a welcome option for better stopping power. Tire scuffing during very sharp turns is a concern, and I rotate mine once a year, put the rears to the front, and move the other two back, keeps the wear equal.

beerjet
12-03-2006, 07:49 PM
I have a three axle under my boat and like it just the way it is. It spreads the load farther apart on the trailer frame rails and allows you to use a slightly softer spring, lessening the pounding the boat will take going down the road. One thing that becomes more critical is the correct hitch height, too far off and the equalizer links will bottom on the underside of the frame rails as the trailer goes over irregular terrain. Also allows for better braking if that becomes a concern. I have discs on two axles and it stops great, but on a very heavy application that third axle may be a welcome option for better stopping power. Tire scuffing during very sharp turns is a concern, and I rotate mine once a year, put the rears to the front, and move the other two back, keeps the wear equal.
What would be the best way to determine how much tongue weight the trailer should have in order to place the axles. I was planning on useing two axles off of another similar trailer and just buying a new one with brakes .I also have a buddy that has two used axles with brakes that I can get for free. Dont know what weight rateing they are.

uselessgrant
02-11-2007, 11:40 AM
what did you come up with on this deal? if you want more tongue weight leave the two you have where they are and put your third to the back of the other two and add an equalizing trunion like what is between the two axles you have now. Your shakle on the front axle and spring will stay the same you will have to get an intermitiate spring set to put on the 2nd axle and put your rear springs on the 3rd axle. now your load centerline will be the centerline of the 2nd axle instead of the pivot trunion between axle 1 and axle2. thus moving your load center back about 18 inches or so and increasing tounge weight.