PDA

View Full Version : Black truck? Yes or no?

riverracerx
01-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Opinions on a new black truck? Would you buy black? Have you in the past? is the pain of keeping it clean worth it? Is black the best color?
Begin discussion now.....

riverroyal
01-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Opinions on a new black truck? Would you buy black? Have you in the past? is the pain of keeping it clean worth it? Is black the best color?
time do you have?Or can you pay a detailer everyweek?I had a black on black excursion,black bumpers everything,it was real nice,but a fricken nightmare to keep clean.Ford paint isnt the best,there was no way anyone else could wash it.It would swirl just opening the door

LAFD
01-18-2006, 03:55 PM
i have a black truck it gets dirty easy but when its clean its the best color. just have to wash it with a special rag that wont leave swirls and a shammie to dry it. and wax it to keep the scratches out. but its worth it.

Her454
01-18-2006, 03:56 PM
I loved it but a bitch to keep clean, especially in the country. When it was clean it was gorgeous but I had to wipe it down constantly.
Next one will be RED for me.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139witchone-med.jpg

Do F150's Float?
01-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Black trucks are a pain in the butt to take care of...until someone drags a screwdriver back & forth down the side a few times. Then you just don't care anymore ;) :mad:

Mrs. casean
01-18-2006, 03:59 PM
We chose white... I love it! Super easy to clean and looks cleaner longer :D

H20 Toie
01-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Been there done that never again, i think they are the best looking when clean. i liked my gray truck the best even when it is dirty it looked good better than white.

MAINEVENT
01-18-2006, 04:03 PM
I had a black suburban and it looked bad ass after it would get detailed untill i drove and the water in my mirrors streaked down the side of my car... and it only looked good for a day I would never buy another black car they look bitchen but like RR said unless you have a detailer on hand i would'nt
Just my.02

riverroyal
We chose white... I love it! Super easy to clean and looks cleaner longer :D
I hope I helped sean today!

MAINEVENT
Black trucks are a pain in the butt to take care of...until someone drags a screwdriver back & forth down the side a few times. Then you just don't care anymore ;) :mad:
and why did that happen :idea: ;)

jbtrailerjim
01-18-2006, 04:04 PM
I owned one black truck and it was a pain in the ass to keep clean. I'll never buy another black truck again.

Do F150's Float?
01-18-2006, 04:07 PM
and why did that happen :idea: ;)
Honestly? Don't know...have my guesses... nothin ever proved though... some people have no balls...

riverroyal
01-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Honestly? Don't know...have my guesses... nothin ever proved though... some people have no balls...
because your a female,right??? :rolleyes:

Do F150's Float?
01-18-2006, 04:10 PM
because your a female,right??? :rolleyes:
LOL...yeah, no balls here... but i also wouldn't scratch someones truck if i had a problem with them.... :rolleyes:

OGShocker
01-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Black looks great but, it's a pain in the azz to keep clean.

RiverOtter
01-18-2006, 04:15 PM
I have a black coupe. As hard as it is to keep clean I can't imagine keeping a black truck clean. They sure do look good but I wouldn't buy one. Unless I was a Baller like Nashvillebound and had a guy on payroll to wash it :cool:

riverroyal
01-18-2006, 04:22 PM
LOL...yeah, no balls here... but i also wouldn't scratch someones truck if i had a problem with them.... :rolleyes:
maybe a angry steamer on the hood or something,but never scratch

phebus
01-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Besides the "clean" issue, have you ever tried to get in a black vehicle after it's been sitting out in the sun for a while at Havasu? Hotter than the sun!!! :rollside:

JB in so cal
01-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Once you go black you won't go back!

Captain Dan
01-18-2006, 04:48 PM
I once told a person that I had a black super duty, he then asked if I also owned a car wash.
Very pretty when clean, but that only lasts a very short while.
Don't do it....

Magic34
01-18-2006, 05:13 PM
How about a white Dodge???
I have stuff to clean black, so no problem, just make up your mind.

dmontzsta
01-18-2006, 05:15 PM
HELL NO!
Unless you have time to whip it off everyday.

Cole Trickle
01-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Tough choice.
I loved my truck and kept it in the garage so it stayed nice.
I also take very good care of my vehicles.(Wash,wax,clay,detail,etc..)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2491truck03.JPG
We got my girlfriend into a Dark Blue Crewcab and lets just say it stays clean but we should have gone silver or white.(Dark colors take alot of work to stay nice)

GottaJet
01-18-2006, 07:20 PM
I vote for BLACK :) http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1043Dsc00374.jpg

01-18-2006, 07:27 PM
i guess you better buy white or silver if you want a life from washing
i have a black vette weekend only no problem all the rest are white

HammerDown
01-18-2006, 07:27 PM
I just bought Black...sure it's nice when it's clean :rolleyes: Every water spot and fine scratch shows. Enough to make me nuts...never again will I own a black vehicle. :yuk:
Black looks great...especially when left in the showroom! :D

TCHB
01-18-2006, 07:28 PM
I had one black car and never again. It drove me nuts trying to keep it clean. Now white!

Mohave Vice
01-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Have had a few black cars. Currently have a black Yukon. Everybody is correct. It takes a lot to keep it clean. Swirls are another story. Been lucky. I normally use a pressure washer on a weekly basis. Wax monthly and use McGuire's detail in between. Gotta admit, when it's clean it does look real good. I'll be buying another one this year.

Cole Sanger
01-18-2006, 07:41 PM
If you ever plan on coming to AZ, don't do it. I have a black suburban. Way to hot in the summer.

al cole'holic
01-18-2006, 07:43 PM
...black cars look bitchen for sure.....until the end of the week after you buy it, then they look like shit forever.

Tremor Therapy
01-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Chris,
You know I used to tow my oldest boat with a lifted black F150 4x. Once I was done with the washing and waxing (ever week)....it was absolutely bitchen! But tow the boat to the ramp, and let it sit in 110+ degree sunshine all day, and then try and even touch it....bad news. If I was to get a truck for just daily driving that would stay in SoCal....maybe, but my every day ride and the tow vehicle to 'Zona? IMHO, I would never do it again.
Did ya sell the Caddy? :p

pebo
01-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Last 3 trucks owned have been black, but what do I know? I also have a black boat :cool:

cola
01-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Black is a bitch, but it's the best looking.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1268109_0925_1.JPG

JetBoatRich
01-18-2006, 08:09 PM
We bought a black car years ago :rolleyes:
A Black vehicle looks great when taken car of without a doubt, be prepared for a lot of work everything loves to show up :yuk:

Mandelon
01-18-2006, 08:13 PM
My 3500 is black. Well mostly. Except where the scratches are. And where the dirt spots and the water spots are.
It shows everything and I wouldn't do it again. Its hotter than heck. You can only wash it in the shade cuz it literally steams if I hose it down in the sun.
NO.

Throttle
01-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Black is bitchin, the reflection in the paint is the best out of any other color... if you r not used to cleaning a black truck every week at least once, get ready cause you will find yourself doing it twice a week. I have owned several black cars and trucks and have always enjoyed maintaining them... however, I do not think I would do black now with all the time I spend in Havi (hot- no touch!).
white is a color that most peeps think is easy, however I will say this from a detailers view... lots of people just wash them, look at them and think they are kleen cause the sun reflects so much light (the white is bright), but if you look closely I would bet most are damaged and have embedded contaminates that are in need of 1). clay, 2). cleaner, 3). polish, 4). wax.
if you want easy, go with silver

MagicMtnDan
01-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Black cars are a PITA to take care of and they have a lot less paint to care for than a truck does. Don't do black unless (a) it's gonna be a garage queen and (b) you're gonna pay someone to detail it every week.
Chris, what are you buying NOW?! :rolleyes:

Froggystyle
01-18-2006, 10:20 PM
I have had a recently endless string of black vehicles. Black Saleen Mustang, Black Dodge truck, black Mitsubishi Diamante, two black Corvettes in a row, the black 2500HD, Black Ducati and just bought Audrey a black 530xit BMW last week.
Nothing looks half as good as a black truck when clean. Who cares how it looks dirty... just keep it clean. Black reminds you it is time to take care of your vehicles. It gets just as dirty as everything else, but looks worse and you attend to it.
If you are not the kind of person who likes maintaining your vehicles a lot... not for you. But if you get a rise out of driving the best looking vehicle in the parking lot... this is a step up to getting there. Park three otherwise identical trucks with white, silver and black next to each other, and people will comment on the black one.
My .02. I will never own another color vehicle. Except a Ferrari. That will be red.
Oh... and just pay someone to do it every week. I do.

XtrmWakeborder
01-18-2006, 10:26 PM
No freakin way!!! My car is black now, and everything shows. The dust thew very next drives me crazy after spending 3 hours on it. "And that doesn't including waxing it"

Hardly Satisfied
01-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Black Is Nice But Alot Of Work Keeping It Clean. I Would Think About Another Color

Just Tool'n
01-19-2006, 04:35 AM
I owned only one black vehicle, never again!
Most of the vehicles I have owned have been white, only color in my opinion, cooler in the summer time, easier to keep clean in the winter time.
I have even talked my wife into owning white.
The only way I would ever consider owning a black vehicle again would be if I had a personal wash boy, who's only job was to keep it clean.

JetBoatRich
01-19-2006, 05:03 AM
Botrom line have a detail person take care of it at least once a week :cool:

Froggystyle
01-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Botrom line have a detail person take care of it at least once a week :cool:
Exactly.
Just add it on to your monthy nut on the cars. Detail guys are all slow right now, so set up a deal for every single week with them, rain or shine (wet clean cars are better than wet dirty cars) and you will be under $20/week for completely clean cars which last quite a bit longer.

Steamin' Rice
01-19-2006, 08:37 AM
I have a black truck and my wife drives a black car... Like the others have said they look great when clean, so just keep them clean and it's no problem.

ParkerSteve
01-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Clean is hard to do My C3 stays in parker......Hot is summer need gloves to touch steering wheel........Warm in winter :

SummitKarl
01-19-2006, 08:49 AM
PURPLE
10 yrs no fading.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2734truck01.jpg

riverracerx
01-19-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm not buying anything (yet).
I always admire my neighbors black truck. But he is always out there washing it and it parks outside. He is now regretting getting black.
I have had black before and I think I hated it, but when you see them clean it makes you like them again.
Just thought it was a good topic for conversation since it is so damn cold out.
I like the looks of this though:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/naias/naias_2006/ext/1.jpg

PHX ATC
01-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Paint your Caddy black and be done with it.

riverracerx
01-19-2006, 10:00 PM
shut it...horse boy! :)

Caribbean Jet
01-19-2006, 10:17 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/showphoto.php?photo=36177&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500 You may have to wash tghem more often, but they are beautful when clean. This is my large paperwieght.

spectratoad
01-20-2006, 09:21 AM
I loved it but a bitch to keep clean, especially in the country. When it was clean it was gorgeous but I had to wipe it down constantly.
Next one will be RED for me.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139witchone-med.jpg
Yes it is a pain to keep clean. That is why often when it snow and the streets are wet it stays in the garage and I drive my Jeep. Last black truck for me. :)

Her454
01-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Yes it is a pain to keep clean. That is why often when it snow and the streets are wet it stays in the garage and I drive my Jeep. Last black truck for me. :)
.....hehehhehe hate to say I told you so.......... :) I still miss her tho but the Red one will resolve that :)

Tom Brown
01-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Just thought it was a good topic for conversation since it is so damn cold out.
Cold out? lmao! :D :D :D

SummitKarl
01-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Cold out? lmao! :D :D :D
YEA COLD.....it's Artic here in Havasu today..it's like 64, I think it might snow later :rollside:

baja 232
01-20-2006, 11:25 AM
I have 3 white vehicles, they stay cleaner longer. and when they do get dirty its harder to see the dirt.

ScapeGoat
01-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Blank Navi always like them in black make it look sleaker, if you care for the vehicle wash it, garage it and quit parking in compact spaces just to be closer to where ever. that will stop most scratches

Froggystyle
01-20-2006, 11:59 AM
I have 3 white vehicles, they stay cleaner longer. and when they do get dirty its harder to see the dirt.
They don't stay any cleaner. They just don't show as badly. Just as dirty, half of the maintenance performed though...

charitycase
01-20-2006, 01:55 PM
I'm on my 2nd Black truck & have to say when they're clean,new & shined they are beautiful.However,I will NOT buy another.TOO much work.Besides the area where we live has the hardest water I've ever seen.They are pretty tho.