PDA

View Full Version : Buyers beware of unethical selling practices in boating community!!!!!!!!!!!

nolimitexec
10-16-2006, 11:22 AM
[FONT=Arial Black]I am a businessman from Florida,I could have bought a brand new skater but I thought this was a great deal according to the previous boat owner. I recently purchased a 36 ft. Skater from Leland Honeyman, I know everyone here is familiar with the rollover incident.
I bought the boat cash, Leland outright lied to me about the history of the boat, sold it to me and the motors and drives failed with him delivering me the boat to Florida while we test ran the boat. It cost me over $50,000 to fix it and I just sold it and lost $125,000 cause no one would touch the boat. Presently the boat is being completely redone.
Leland never disclosed the fact he had flipped the boat till I called Skater and they told me, He then told me he thought he had mentioned it, I can tell you if he would have mentioned it I would have ran like a rabbit, I guess he has selective memory...
When you buy and expensive boat!!!....DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND ASK QUESTIONS, BE AWARE OF A GOOD DEAL!
There are great boating people on here and everyone watches out for their friends, I just wish I would have known about this site 4 months ago!!
If anyone has pics of the boat flipped over can you please post them I need a copy of them....Thanks

ROZ
10-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Welcome to boating.. no new news there..
surprised you didn't do more homework when buying such an expensive boat...
Hell, I do a vin# search when I buy a 10K dollar truck :D

Hardly Satisfied
10-16-2006, 11:29 AM
that's crazy

tcook33
10-16-2006, 11:31 AM
There is some shiit going on at ***boat today......pretty good for a Monday.

460 jus getn it
10-16-2006, 11:32 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/157023popcorn.jpg
Just made some of this. Thought we might need it................LMAO

Jbb
10-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Oh man....this week is off to one hell of a start..... :p

ROZ
:D

deltaAce
[FONT=Arial Black] sold it to me and the motors and drives failed with him delivering me the boat to Florida while we test ran the boat.
Are you saying the motors & drives failed while you test ran it?
I'm an offshore powerboat mechanic, & I have never had a boat come in for repair because both engines & both drives let go! Usally one of something fails!

Sleek-Jet
10-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Seems to be a good day for Trolling... no??? :idea:

Jordy
:D
What did I do??? :D :D :D

switchin'addiction
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/157023popcorn.jpg
Just made some of this. Thought we might need it................LMAO
You better go ahead a pop a few more bags.....a lot of shit is going on in here today! :D

deltaAce
10-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Seems to be a good day for Trolling... no??? :idea:
Welcome back (.)(.)
:)

Goad
I'm an offshore powerboat mechanic, & I have never had a boat come in for repair because both engines & both drives let go! Usally one of something
fails!
with that being said, im stumped why he even bought it in the first place....
something sure smells fishy.
http://www.p0stwh0res.com/images/fishy.jpg

ROZ
What did I do??? :D :D :D
Nothing..... Someone had to post it ... Kinda like posting
RD SUX :D
Besides, you may have a pic or two....hundred :D
Make sure he gets the photochopped one too :D :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Awwww hell, there goes the neighborhood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :crossx: :220v:

NOTALENT
10-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Ouch...unfortunatley we all know about this prick....sorry to hear you were the one to get raped here. That is down right shady. They need a carfax for boats...BOATFAX!!! :p

ROZ
10-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Awwww hell, there goes the neighborhood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :crossx: :220v:
Speaking of neighborhoods, it appears Leland had to go 5 states over to sell it.. :D

Kachina26
Here is the thread (http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93941&highlight=honeyman+rolled) , seems the pics disappeared :idea:

RitcheyRch
This should get good.

WYRD
10-16-2006, 11:43 AM
They really should charge for this kind of entertainment :)

460 jus getn it
10-16-2006, 11:43 AM
You better go ahead a pop a few more bags.....a lot of shit is going on in here today! :D
Figured this might be the route to go. POPCORN, GET YOUR POPCORN HERE...
http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products/L10210942b.jpg

switchin'addiction
10-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Figured this might be the route to go. POPCORN, GET YOUR POPCORN HERE...
http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products/L10210942b.jpg
That should do it! :D

Jordy
10-16-2006, 11:44 AM
They need a carfax for boats...BOATFAX!!! :p
They have it, it's called a marine survey. Seriously, if you bought a 36' Skater for $325K while every other one in the same age range was in the $450K range, wouldn't you do some research and find out what was wrong with the boat??? :idea:
That being said, the boat was rolled a year ago or so, and was out on the lake the following week and I've seen it out a dozen or so times since then. I was all over that boat the week after it rolled and there wasn't so much as a stress crack anywhere on the hull that I could see.
Blowing both engines and drives all at the same time just doesn't make much sense here either. Sorry to be a doubter, but it's just my nature. :)

ROZ
10-16-2006, 11:46 AM
Blowing both engines and drives all at the same time just doesn't make much sense here either. Sorry to be a doubter, but it's just my nature. :)
The man bringith a case of popcorn :D

seanv
10-16-2006, 11:48 AM
damn sorry to hear someone got took on that boat.i learned my lesson the hard way as well and i purchased from a dealer!!!! :mad: :mad:
delta, i have seen both engines go south. i purchased a 2004 boat with 49hours on the meters. when i got it home and ready for a lake run and my buddy and i noticed both superchargers were trashed. after doing a little investigation i learned my engines were 1997's that were hammered.
sorry to relive the past guys, but yes delta it can happen.
and the way honeynut ran that boat it wouldnt suprize me at all if both engines failed.

Goad
10-16-2006, 11:50 AM
this sounds like another 'sunk the boat' thread...

Jbb
10-16-2006, 11:51 AM
They have it, it's called a marine survey. Seriously, if you bought a 36' Skater for $325K while every other one in the same age range was in the $450K range, wouldn't you do some research and find out what was wrong with the boat??? :idea:
That being said, the boat was rolled a year ago or so, and was out on the lake the following week and I've seen it out a dozen or so times since then. I was all over that boat the week after it rolled and there wasn't so much as a stress crack anywhere on the hull that I could see.
Perhaps this "Businesman" is actually the guy that deleted his post on that "other" thread......In an attempt to divert attention from his libelous comments?.... :p

nolimitexec
10-16-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm an offshore powerboat mechanic, & I have never had a boat come in for repair because both engines & both drives let go! Usally one of something fails!
I paid him for the boat and he brought it to me, when we test ran it, the port side drive locked up cause the bearings went out, the whole drive was solid full of water, the other side was full of water and shavings. all the gears were trashed and TNT Custom Marine in Miami had to rebuild both drives brand new from bottom up! What caused the motors to run hot was that he had changed the water pumps and left the rubber impellors in the system. they had broken to pieces and were stuck in the lines. The damage from it being underwater was that all the guages and switches were corroded and the drives were trashed, the engines had to be gone thru completely because of water damgage.

NOTALENT
10-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Why did you have to pay to fix it???

Jbb
10-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Fresh water corrosion......I heard of that.... :)

Cole Trickle
10-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Sucks!! :cry:
Post some pictures of the boat.....I would like to see what it looks like floating right side up;)

Member: 7673
10-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Definitely not getting any work done today for sure.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1583POPCORN-med.jpg
Just got off the phone with my broker, I upped my shares in corn....should have my new Nor-Tech by the end of the week.....Thanks :220v: :220v: :220v: :220v: :220v:

mickeyfinn
10-16-2006, 12:05 PM
So why the test ride? If the drives were trashed and locked up on test ride why take delivery? Should have said no-thanks, just take it back.

nolimitexec
10-16-2006, 12:06 PM
I had to pay to fix it cause the bank was getting ready to repo it and Leland paid it off and did not have my money to give back to me.

NOTALENT
10-16-2006, 12:07 PM
I had to pay to fix it cause the bank was getting ready to repo it and Leland paid it off and did not have my money to give back to me.
I think its time to call Larry H. Parker. He will fight for you! :220v:

nolimitexec
10-16-2006, 12:07 PM
So why the test ride? If the drives were trashed and locked up on test ride why take delivery? Should have said no-thanks, just take it back.
He would not give me my money back, he had spent it, i told him i did not want it but you cant take blood from a turnip!!!!!

460 jus getn it
10-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Wasnt honeyman going threw a divorce?????????????????????????????

nolimitexec
10-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Make no mistake about it, I am not crying or whining, it is the point that he never disclosed that the boat was flipped, in Florida it is illegal to sell a boat and not disclose the history. I am a big boy and will take my lickings, the money is gone, but I promise you this, I will lein everything he owns and sue him, he better start liquidating his ASSets!!!!!!! Thats the bottom line!. It
unethical and illegal!!!!!

Jordy
10-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Hmmm.... :idea:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18775&stc=1

Sleek-Jet
10-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Yes you are... like a little girl... :D

NOTALENT
10-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Make no mistake about it, I am not crying or whining, it is the point that he never disclosed that the boat was flipped, in Florida it is illegal to sell a boat and not disclose the history. I am a big boy and will take my lickings, the money is gone, but I promise you this, I will lein everything he owns and sue him, he better start liquidating his ASSets!!!!!!! Thats the bottom line!. It
Nice. We got your back, and you have quite a few pages of the incident for documentation on several websites. Get em! :crossx:

Jordy
10-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Nice. We got your back...
I'm sure he's going to sleep much better knowing that little tidbit... :D :D :D

460 jus getn it
10-16-2006, 12:19 PM
LMAO...................Makes everyone feel at ease...................................

Goad
10-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Hmmm.... :idea:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18775&stc=1
haaaaaaaaaahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaahahahaaaaaaaaa!!!!! !!!!!!!

NOTALENT
10-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Hey, moral support goes along way....Look at E4L, I hear he's almost not gay anymore.... :220v:

Larry H Parker
10-16-2006, 12:24 PM
I think its time to call Larry H. Parker. He will fight for you! :220v:
Kind of hard to get blood out of a turnip. I'll pass. :D

Jordy
10-16-2006, 12:24 PM
How about this classic:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18778&stc=1
:D :D :D

NOTALENT
10-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Kind of hard to get blood out of a turnip. I'll pass. :D
ROLMFAO!!!! :D
Looks like he's stuck with Johnny Cochran!!! :220v:

WYRD
10-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but don't disclosure laws not apply to "as is" sales? :idea: Good luck

Sleek-Jet
10-16-2006, 12:36 PM
ROLMFAO!!!! :D
Looks like he's stuck with Johnny Cochran!!! :220v:
If the drives are toast... you must post!!! :D

Goad
10-16-2006, 12:36 PM
How about this classic:
:D :D :D
haha ...nice.....so whos got the "After" pictures? looks like they were deleted from that other thread :idea:

707dog
10-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Thats Alot Of $$ That Sucks!! Been There Also On My 1st Boat Financed Owner Didnt Wanna Help Me Out After Only Having The Boat A Month..so Carma Sucked..didnt Know 67 Mustangs And Quads Didnt Float..sorry If Someone On Here Knows Him But Watch Who Ya Screw Over When Ya Sell Something...shit Put The Hammer On This Dude Bet He Will Think Twice About Who He Is A Dick Too On The Water And Off He Water..glad I Dont Use The Same Boat Ways He Does...safe Here In Cali...

AZJD
10-16-2006, 12:43 PM
OH YEAH! Just in time for a wet winter! :boxingguy
I did notice that the boat was running like shit last time I saw him out shortly before 4th of July! He was having trouble keeping the engines running.....however he didn't have any problem hitting 150mph that day, or at least thats what he said to us as he passed bye!

No Name
10-16-2006, 12:47 PM
haha ...nice.....so whos got the "After" pictures? looks like they were deleted from that other thread :idea:
Somebody is trying to protect someone. :idea:

BajaMike
10-16-2006, 12:48 PM
[FONT=Arial Black]I am a businessman from Florida,I could have bought a brand new skater but I thought this was a great deal according to the previous boat owner. I recently purchased a 36 ft. Skater from Leland Honeyman, I know everyone here is familiar with the rollover incident.
I bought the boat cash, Leland outright lied to me about the history of the boat, sold it to me and the motors and drives failed with him delivering me the boat to Florida while we test ran the boat. It cost me over $50,000 to fix it and I just sold it and lost $125,000 cause no one would touch the boat. Presently the boat is being completely redone.
Leland never disclosed the fact he had flipped the boat till I called Skater and they told me, He then told me he thought he had mentioned it, I can tell you if he would have mentioned it I would have ran like a rabbit, I guess he has selective memory...
When you buy and expensive boat!!!....DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND ASK QUESTIONS, BE AWARE OF A GOOD DEAL!
There are great boating people on here and everyone watches out for their friends, I just wish I would have known about this site 4 months ago!!
If anyone has pics of the boat flipped over can you please post them I need a copy of them....Thanks
This sounds like BS to me.....he's trying to revive the old "Honeyman" thread..... :idea:
Someone should check it IP address, see if he is really even in Florida......
:rollside:

Jordy
10-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Somebody is trying to protect someone. :idea:
If they're any that I posted, I deleted them from HBP's because I had 14 pages of stuff hosted over there that wasn't really relevant to anything and made it harder to find ones I was looking for in my gallery.

superdave013
10-16-2006, 12:51 PM
So you must have paid for this boat before you even seen it?
Wow

Jordy
10-16-2006, 12:54 PM
So you must have paid for this boat before you even seen it?
Wow
Hmmmmmm..... :idea:

Eliminator 4 Life
10-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Hey, moral support goes along way....Look at E4L, I hear he's almost not gay anymore.... :220v:
who the fawk told u to bring my name up keep me out of ur fantasy

Big Warlock
10-16-2006, 01:15 PM
I was thinking the same thing. You didn't even have the boat inspected or look at it prior to purchase? Weird.
Test drive it after? There is obviously two sides to the story. Can anyone drag our boy in to answer? I'll make a phone call or two and see what I can drum up. Fair is fai after all.
And this thread started with so much potential!! Damn!! :crossx:

tcook33
10-16-2006, 01:18 PM
This aint Master P is it?

AZJD
10-16-2006, 01:23 PM
This aint Master P is it?
Thats funny........ Pretty sure he would have just bought a new one with alot nicer paint job!

Desert Rat
10-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but don't disclosure laws not apply to "as is" sales? :idea: Good luck
Not sure about in Florida but in California to knowingly not disclose faults with a sale is not covered in an as is sale, it is considered fraud and the seller can be held liable... Not to sure about the exact law but a judge sided with me on a "as is" sale on a BMW that I had purchased that had been overheated severly. Guy threw a quicky head gasket on it and sold it to me. Test drove fine but overheated on the drive home, idiot left the work reciept in the glove box that had the recomendation of repairs needed by the mechanic and the waiver he had the owner sign to do the half ass repair! Some people are just
S T U P I D.....
He had to either repair the car at his cost or take it back. I let him have it back...
Not sure that applies here being the boat has been seen on the water a few times after the incident

Dave C
10-16-2006, 01:35 PM
that one picture with the words "if you can read this flip me over" is just classic!

seanv
10-16-2006, 01:44 PM
I was thinking the same thing. You didn't even have the boat inspected or look at it prior to purchase? Weird.
Test drive it after? There is obviously two sides to the story. Can anyone drag our boy in to answer? I'll make a phone call or two and see what I can drum up. Fair is fai after all.
And this thread started with so much potential!! Damn!! :crossx:
LEARNED THIS LESSON BIG TIME!!! i bought from a dealer and thought i was safe....yeah right. from here on, "get a survey on everything"

seanv
10-16-2006, 01:49 PM
question, how in the world is this guy going to get a dime? leland is in so much financial trouble "so the rumor mill says" that he'ld be better off taking the hit and get it running. any truth to any of this???

nolimitexec
10-16-2006, 01:59 PM
First of all , I am who I say I am, I did not even know about these threads and postings until the people at Skater Marine and Sterling engines told me about them. I have nothing to gain here but to let people know that I made a mistake by trusting someone who I thought was honest and took his word for buying a sound boat. Don't judge or read anything into this just because you are one of Leland's 2 friends that ride around in a mortaged 500,000 boat that was almost repossessed, I myself paid cash for it, thats not being arrogant, all I wanted was to poker run and hang out with friends, not bling bling, or act smart or show off, I also own a 65 ft. 2006 Viking Yacht but that is besides the point, I wanted what I paid for to be legitimate and sound, if it needed repairs or was not , I should have had the choice to say no, when you have people like Bruce Bullock at Bullock Marine call and tell you that he told Leland to disclose that information to the seller, people in the Powerboat World knew about this, I guess it was not good judgement on my part to trust like I did, but from a man that just had his HVAC/air conditioner contractors license suspended from the state of Arizona, I guess that is how he chooses to do business, so you can call him, bring him into this , or we can all meet, the fact is the fact, I GOT SCREWED!!!!

AZJD
10-16-2006, 02:07 PM
First of all , I am who I say I am, I did not even know about these threads and postings until the people at Skater Marine and Sterling engines told me about them. I have nothing to gain here but to let people know that I made a mistake by trusting someone who I thought was honest and took his word for buying a sound boat. Don't judge or read anything into this just because you are one of Leland's 2 friends that ride around in a mortaged 500,000 boat that was almost repossessed, I myself paid cash for it, thats not being arrogant, all I wanted was to poker run and hang out with friends, not bling bling, or act smart or show off, I also own a 65 ft. 2006 Viking Yacht but that is besides the point, I wanted what I paid for to be legitimate and sound, if it needed repairs or was not , I should have had the choice to say no, when you have people like Bruce Bullock at Bullock Marine call and tell you that he told Leland to disclose that information to the seller, people in the Powerboat World knew about this, I guess it was not good judgement on my part to trust like I did, but from a man that just had his HVAC/air conditioner contractors license suspended from the state of Arizona, I guess that is how he chooses to do business, so you can call him, bring him into this , or we can all meet, the fact is the fact, I GOT SCREWED!!!!
I will trade you some pictures of the boat for a week on the yacht! j/k I don't have any, however I do hope you get some sorta resolve to your situation. If there was any question about the soundness of anything mechanical on that boat, he should have taken care of it! Plain and Simple! The suspension of his contractors license is quite funny though.... It takes quite a few complaints and leins/lawsuits to get that done!

Deano
10-16-2006, 02:08 PM
no need for a survey on that thing. Just type "honeyman skater" and hit search web (google, msn, etc.) There are many threads about it.
There is still no excuse for him not disclosing it though. Sorry for your loss.

Jbb
10-16-2006, 02:12 PM
65 footer you say... :rolleyes:
This thread is starting to bore me...and the fat chick in the back seat......lets see some pics...exec :p
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860fiveofem.jpg

SJP
Did you have the boat repainted when it went into the shop?

No Name
Anyone who has a 65’ 2006 Viking Yacht that lost 125.000.00 should just let it go. That would be like me losing 125.00, I would just chalk it up as a lesson learned. :rollside:

soupersonic
10-16-2006, 02:14 PM
It sucks to get bent over like that but damn..someone who obviously sounds successfull should know better than to take anyones word for anything without some investigation on your part. Being the owner of a yacht you have known to get a survey,have a mechanic check the motors and drives even if its someone you dont know from another state.And then to pay upfront for something you have never been in before. :rolleyes: I hope you got a great deal on it. :)

tcook33
10-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Anyone who has a 65’ 2006 Viking Yacht that lost 125.000.00 should just let it go. That would be like me losing 125.00, I would just chalk it up as a lesson learned. :rollside:
Doesn't matter how much money you got buddy. A dollar is still worth the same amount. Just ask anyone who rolls.

Big Warlock
10-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Inspections and survey's aren't full proof either. Finding a third party to do it and then you sign a waiver of responsibility for any ommisions or stuff that happens after. I learned from your experience. I had the Donzi inspected. I knew what I was getting into and have put money into it. I also am planning on keeping it for a few years.
Oil samples are key. Also, the market for these boats is fairly narrow. How many crazy people buy this stuff? (Hot Boaters and ????????) LOL :crossx:
I just don't know why the sale of the boat so quickly after. At $125,00 off what you bought it for, I think I would have bought it and then re painted it! And I don't think I am the only one.
:crossx:

No Name
10-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Doesn't matter how much money you got buddy. A dollar is still worth the same amount. Just ask anyone who rolls.
But I don't know anyone who rolls. :cry: :cry:

deltaAce
I'd want to question the business savy of an executive who would send someone
$350K cash, for a boat he hadn't rode in first!

AZJD
Hell, 325,000 was a smoking deal even if you had to drop 50k into it to make it right. Why not keep the boat after the repairs were made and run it?

Jordy
10-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Hell, I've got a Spectre for sale if he wants to send money. I'll even send pics first!!! :D :D :D

AZJD
10-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Not to jump to his defense but the boat was being pushed by a dealer too..... Ibelieve that to be correct info, I have been known to be wrong so you may want to ask Jordy....I mean Jeeves! :crossx:

No Name
10-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Hell, 325,000 was a smoking deal even if you had to drop 50k into it to make it right.
So true.

Cheap Thrills
10-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Alot of states have discontinued the "As Is" Sale. Instead.
An implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose, sometimes referred to simply as a warranty of fitness, is a warranty implied by law that if a seller knows or has reason to know of a particular purpose for which some item is being purchased by the buyer, the seller is guaranteeing that the item is fit for that particular purpose.
An implied warranty of merchantability is a warranty implied by law that if a merchant (meaning someone who makes an occupation of selling things) sells something, that merchant is guaranteeing that the goods are reasonably fit for the general purpose for which they are sold. To be merchantable (salable), goods must meet the following conditions: 1). The goods must conform to the standards of the trade as applicable to the contract for sale. 2). They must fit for the purposes such goods are ordinarily used, even if the buyer ordered them for use otherwise. 3). They must be uniform as to quality and quantity, within tolerances of the contract for sale. 4). They must be packed and labeled per the contract for sale. 5). They must meet the specifications on the package labels, even if not so specified by the contract for sale. This warranty will apply to one who is a merchant and regularly deals in the type of merchandise sold. If the merchandise is sold with an express "guarantee", the terms of the implied warranty of merchantability will fill the gaps left by that guarantee. If the terms of the express guarantee are not specified, they will be considered to be the terms of the implied warranty of merchantability.
If the boat failed to operate as its intended purpose then this clause may apply.
Something you may want to look into.
C.T. :wink:

Jordy
10-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Not to jump to his defense but the boat was being pushed by a dealer too..... Ibelieve that to be correct info, I have been known to be wrong so you may want to ask Jordy....I mean Jeeves! :crossx:
Bullock Marine had it listed up until the news of the roll hit the airwaves and then it was quickly pulled off the site, as I recall anyway. ;)

AZJD
10-16-2006, 02:34 PM
Bullock Marine had it listed up until the news of the roll hit the airwaves and then it was quickly pulled off the site, as I recall anyway. ;)
See I told you! Sometimes I'm wrong! But I was right about the ask Jordy..... :rollside:

soupersonic
10-16-2006, 02:34 PM
Damn CT i thought you were just an internet smartazz,there you go getting all technical and legal on us :)

Jbb
10-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Alot of states have discontinued the "As Is" Sale. Instead.
An implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose, sometimes referred to simply as a warranty of fitness, is a warranty implied by law that if a seller knows or has reason to know of a particular purpose for which some item is being purchased by the buyer, the seller is guaranteeing that the item is fit for that particular purpose.
An implied warranty of merchantability is a warranty implied by law that if a merchant (meaning someone who makes an occupation of selling things) sells something, that merchant is guaranteeing that the goods are reasonably fit for the general purpose for which they are sold. To be merchantable (salable), goods must meet the following conditions: 1). The goods must conform to the standards of the trade as applicable to the contract for sale. 2). They must fit for the purposes such goods are ordinarily used, even if the buyer ordered them for use otherwise. 3). They must be uniform as to quality and quantity, within tolerances of the contract for sale. 4). They must be packed and labeled per the contract for sale. 5). They must meet the specifications on the package labels, even if not so specified by the contract for sale. This warranty will apply to one who is a merchant and regularly deals in the type of merchandise sold. If the merchandise is sold with an express "guarantee", the terms of the implied warranty of merchantability will fill the gaps left by that guarantee. If the terms of the express guarantee are not specified, they will be considered to be the terms of the implied warranty of merchantability.
If the boat failed to operate as its intended purpose then this clause may apply.
Something you may want to look into.
I dont think a private owner would be considered a "merchant"

deltaAce
10-16-2006, 02:39 PM
In court it would be Mooneyham's word against nolimitexec's word about discloser of the condition of the boat. Mooneyham could say the discounted price reflected the condition of the boat, & that it was disclosed prior to sale.

Cheap Thrills
10-16-2006, 02:43 PM
I dont think a private owner would be considered a "merchant"
My mistake I should have labeled them 1 & 2 so they wouldn't be confused for being together.
The first "warranty of fitness " should apply to the private seller.
The second "warranty of merchantability" should apply to Merchant sales.
I'm not a lawyer so I couldn't say for sure. Just trying to help.
Still may be something to look into.
Cheers.

superdave013
10-16-2006, 02:46 PM
In court it would be Mooneyham's word against nolimitexec's word about discloser of the condition of the boat. Mooneyham could say the discounted price reflected the condition of the boat, & that it was disclosed prior to sale.
how did Gean Mooneyham get into this? He's just a nice old dude that made bitchin superchagers.

seanv
10-16-2006, 02:46 PM
NOLIMITEXEC, after what i went thru im totally on your side on this. integrity and honor are no longer part of buisness transactions. i was a fool for letting myself get screwed. as seems to be the situation with your purchase.
welcome to ***boat and good luck with the boat.

deltaAce
10-16-2006, 02:48 PM
how did Gean Mooneyham get into this? He's just a nice old dude that made bitchin superchagers.
lol, It's just another word play on Honeymans name. No disrespect intended. :)

superdave013
10-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Hell, I've got a Spectre for sale if he wants to send money. I'll even send pics first!!! :D :D :D
you better get that gay Rated X off the side and replace with the new "Hows my dick taste?" instead! LMAO

riverroyal
10-16-2006, 02:50 PM
my guess if he has the money that it sounds like he does,he also has a few good lawyer,good luck honeyman.By the way post some pictures of the 65footer

Big Warlock
10-16-2006, 02:50 PM
ok ok. We get the picture. Trust me, Leland doesn't hang out with any people we know on here. If you take some time to read the threads, you'll get the picture of how things went down for him on this website.
I appreciate that you have more than one boat. (Yea you!) But I agree with the gentleman who pointed out that it was a poor decision on your part to pay money prior to looking at the boat. If you had the cash to buy the boat, and are the "baller" you insinuate (SP?) Then a ticket to Az. Would have been cheap insurance. Having a local marine company inspect the boat would have led to your knowledge of what happened to the boat as it's a small community. So I figure for less than $2K you would have been well informed.
Now you bought the boat at what seems to be a great price. You then "repaired" the boat and still had a good deal from what I can see? So why the sale after with the loss? I thought you're plan was to do poker runs and such with your friends? So I admit I am confused. You ahd the boat at that point right?
I know your pissed, but it doesn't seem like you're helping your case of getting screwed very much because the more you talk the more questions come out!
Last time I saw Leland was the week after he rolled the boat. And then maybe one other time when he and the "law" were having a talk in Hum Bug about the benefits of no litter in the water. So please don't label us as anything to one side or the other. If you know boats, you seem to have done ok on the buy. Sucks on the repair but I bet all your friends from the poker runs told you it was a screaming buy and you couldn't go wrong. And you had some repairs. Again, as a boater, it comes with the boat. You have heard all the jokes.
My question is simply this. Why the sale? If you were entitled to damages, which I do not know, it would seem to be limited to the cost of repairs done after the sale? Adn then it would be based on the circumstances of the failure right?
Honestly, I know this sounds sarcastic, and this can be a rough site to sound off on. But take out all the crap and listen to some good advice being given out here by others. I hate for you to go waste $$$$$$$ on a attorney and piss that down the drain as well.
Good luck!
:crossx:

Jordy
10-16-2006, 02:55 PM
you better get that gay Rated X off the side and replace with the new "Hows my dick taste?" instead! LMAO
The X-Rated has been gone off the sides for a while now, at least all of this season. Just white now. I'm still working on my "SUCK, F UCK, OR SWIM LIKE A DUCK" stickers for the dash. :D :D :D

Dave C
10-16-2006, 03:06 PM
hey thats catchy... that has a better ring than "put out or get out biotch"
I'm still working on my "SUCK, F UCK, OR SWIM LIKE A DUCK" stickers for the dash. :D :D :D

Havasu Doug
10-16-2006, 03:09 PM
.............They need a carfax for boats...BOATFAX!!! :p
Try this: Boat History ( http://www.boathistoryreport.com/main.cfm?f=partners&partnerid=59354 ) :)

Thorsinc
10-16-2006, 03:14 PM
“Later” might be giving a good deal on his boat?

Dave C
10-16-2006, 03:15 PM
I have to check on this but according to my "law 101" class ;) this does apply to merchants and as I understand it this prevents a merchant from selling you something that does not fit or is inappropriate for your particular needs if you tell them what your particular needs are before the transaction. (i.e. you rely upon the merchant to help find something that fits your particular needs)
so for example you ask a dealer to help you find a "high performance custom boat that seats 5," he better not sell you a bayliner or a fishing boat ;) ;)..... because those don't fit your criteria that you asked for.
the problem that I see with this guy is the sellers possible(?) misrepresentation of the condition of the boat. So if they seller told the buyer it runs tits then there may be a problem but its one persons word against anothers.(hard to prove) The fact that the boat sold at a discount indicates that it was accepted "as is" in a deteriorated condition so proving that the guy misrepresented the condition would be difficult if not impossible.

Sportin' Wood
10-16-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm still working on my "SUCK, F UCK, OR SWIM LIKE A DUCK" stickers for the dash. :D :D :D
Thatta boy! :p

Bense468
10-16-2006, 03:39 PM
I HAVEN'T HEARD ANYONE ELSE USE THAT LINE IN ABOUT 10 YEARS. CLASSIC.

Jordy
10-17-2006, 08:12 AM
Wow, this dropped to page 5. Can't let that happen!!!
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18824&stc=1
On the bright side of this whole thing, the Cigarette that is hooked up to the Skater turned out to be stolen and was later recovered. Someone from OSO recognized it in this picture as "Rice Hauler." Beautiful boat too!!! :D

NOTALENT
10-17-2006, 08:13 AM
On the bright side of this whole thing, the Cigarette that is hooked up to the Skater turned out to be stolen and was later recovered. Someone from OSO recognized it in this picture as "Rice Hauler." Beautiful boat too!!! :D
Haha....was it the thief in the boat because that would be great! :220v: :crossx:

Jbb
10-17-2006, 08:15 AM
... :) ...Jordy>>>>>http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/poopstir.gif

460 jus getn it
10-17-2006, 08:16 AM
Lmao.............................................. ........................

BoatPI
10-17-2006, 08:24 AM
This really says something about having a quality marine surveyto examine a boat and provide a documented report. Anyone involved in the purchase of any expensive boat might also want to consider thermal imagining the hull, etc. This is incredible technology.
Checkout the San Diego Zoopanda that Todd donated his time to. They had him monitor the pregnant panda!
Checkout this site and the thermal imaging section. It is informative. www.boatman.com (http://www.boatman.com)

Jordy
10-17-2006, 08:24 AM
... :) ...Jordy>>>>>http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/poopstir.gif
Sorry, but you know that's why I make the big bucks from the LFP payroll, keepin' this place lively and shit... :D :D :D
OK, so here's the week after the Skater rolled, and after 70 or so pages of bullshit on the internet. He showed up and tied up with us:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18825&stc=1

topless
10-17-2006, 08:29 AM
“Later” might be giving a good deal on his boat?I believe he said 7500 firm. LOL

Mandelon
10-17-2006, 09:49 AM
As - Is does not absolve one from discolosing material defects that would affect the value of the product. You can't hide defects and then hide behind as - is.
If you bought the boat at auction and knew nothing about it, then you would have nothing to disclose.....you would be OK. But if you deliberately hide damage and fail to disclose information.......you can get your azz sued......

No Name
10-23-2006, 10:26 PM
I was looking at boats for sale and look what I found. :idea:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1614557/0
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/30871614557_8.jpg

deltaAce
10-23-2006, 10:49 PM
36' Skater / Douglas Marine 36 PLEASURE
* Year: 2004
* Current Price: US$ 325,000
* Located In Miami, FL
* Hull Material: Fiberglass
* Engine/Fuel Type: Twin Gas/Petrol
If your looking to go 150+mph then this is the boat for you. Powered by twin fresh 1100 sterlings with #6 dry (sometimes wet) sump outdrives. Intake snorkle deploys when capsized. "Quick release" quarter canopy seating with custom paint job. Color matched "liquid filled" instruments, gps, vhf, cd player, intercom system, and backseat speedo. *Never abused! Comes with custom trailer.
*Definition of abuse may vary!

centerhill condor
10-24-2006, 04:03 AM
Why not keep her now? she's all new and all yours, right? change the name to "lesson learned". Nice paint btw!

SmokinLowriderSS
10-24-2006, 09:28 AM
36' Skater / Douglas Marine 36 PLEASURE
* Year: 2004
* Current Price: US$ 325,000
* Located In Miami, FL
* Hull Material: Fiberglass
* Engine/Fuel Type: Twin Gas/Petrol
If your looking to go 150+mph then this is the boat for you. Powered by twin fresh 1100 sterlings with #6 dry (sometimes wet) sump outdrives. Intake snorkle deploys when capsized. "Quick release" quarter canopy seating with custom paint job. Color matched "liquid filled" instruments, gps, vhf, cd player, intercom system, and backseat speedo. *Never abused! Comes with custom trailer.
*Definition of abuse may vary!
That sure sounds like a sweet boat! A real "best buy". :rolleyes: :p

Turbo666
10-26-2006, 10:54 PM
No disclosure there.

Magic34
10-26-2006, 11:38 PM
Damn, I leave town for 9 days and miss this...
Sorry to the new buyer, that sucks and it doesn't matter if you have a 130' Westport, losing $100k sucks every day of the week.
You could buy a much safer 34' Magic cat. :crossx: And I guarantee with $100k additional that it is in great working condition.

RitcheyRch
10-27-2006, 04:26 AM
Liquid filled...water filled...same difference :)
Color matched "liquid filled" instruments

squirt'nmyload
10-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Sorry, but you know that's why I make the big bucks from the LFP payroll, keepin' this place lively and shit... :D :D :D
OK, so here's the week after the Skater rolled, and after 70 or so pages of bullshit on the internet. He showed up and tied up with us:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18825&stc=1
the popcorn sign is the best....lmao
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/2028PA090075.jpg