PDA

View Full Version : Roostwear

Cas
12-18-2005, 12:13 PM
I think it's pretty sh*tty that Mike is being ridiculed for his decision. Why not ridicule the people that forced him to make the decision he did?
When your a$$, home, and livelihood is on the line, I'm guessing most of you would do the same thing.
I, for one, give Mike a LOT of credit for what he's done to help revive jet boats and other original hot boats!

victorfb
12-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Amen.

wsuwrhr
12-18-2005, 12:32 PM
I second that.
Kinda of like throwing a party and inviting the people you want to show up.
It is a free country.
Brian

El Prosecutor
12-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Yeah! (But who is Mike?) :confused:

Squirtin Thunder
12-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Yeah! (But who is Mike?) :confused:
Mike owns Roostwear.

old rigger
12-18-2005, 01:54 PM
I think it's pretty sh*tty that Mike is being ridiculed for his decision. Why not ridicule the people that forced him to make the decision he did?
When your a$$, home, and livelihood is on the line, I'm guessing most of you would do the same thing.
What's he being ridiculed about? Who forced him into what decision? Why is his ass on the line?
What's going on?

Cas
12-18-2005, 02:02 PM
just read the "When is FC4" thread. The last post by Victor sums it all up very well.....excellent post!

1978 Rogers
12-18-2005, 06:28 PM
I, for one, give Mike a LOT of credit for what he's done to help revive jet boats and other original hot boats!
???
I think Mike is killer, bought 1 hitch cover, 3 stickers, long & short t's from him. If someone has a problem with it, why don't they pickup Roostwear. All I can say is Roostwear Rocks.

moneysucker
12-18-2005, 07:25 PM
I understand where Mike is coming from. In a country where there are probably more lawyers than registered boat owners you can never be too careful. We have warnings on coffee cups telling you that the contents are hot for Gods sake due to a lawsuit. It takes only one wreck and an ambulance chasing lawyer and even if the boat driver was totally cool and would never think to sue, his family may. There is a certain degree of liability involved and without every attendee signing a waiver and then some you are still partially responsible somehow. You can still have a get together just change the name. Simple. Besides, do you really want a bunch of drunks on the beach as your safety crew? When we play it is responsibly with the pontoon boat out to pick up anyone who is tossed and most wear lifelines if not cheesy ski jackets. My $.02 because that is all I can afford.
Cy

Cas
12-18-2005, 07:48 PM
I understand where Mike is coming from.
I know exactly where Mike is coming from too....I'm living it with putting on a couple of outings a year. Everyone HAS to sign the Release of Liability before attending the Tower Park deals. The LBBA doesn't advertise, promote, condone or support any kind of racing, poker runs or any other type of function that may cause a participant to travel at an unsafe speed in their boat at any of it's outings. It's a pretty simple rule and after 5 years, it hasn't been a problem.
My biggest concern has always been and always will be whether or not people are keeping the alcohol consumption down when out on the water. All it will take is one person to get into an accident while under the influence to ruin it for everyone else. Since I can't or won't keep an eye on everyone at each outing, I hope that people are able to police themselves to help prevent a mishap.

cyclone
12-18-2005, 08:07 PM
i fully understand the concern over liability. The reasoning for changing the event to an invite-only deal i dont agree with, but respect. I think the problem in some people's eyes is that its the equivelant of "taking your ball and going home.", especially after the fun a lot of folks had at the previous events. Lots of us were looking forward to the next one. Hell i didn't even get an invite and I've done my best to try and promote not only the event but roostwear's site and clothing line as well.

Cas
12-18-2005, 08:20 PM
We kicked the idea around of making TP5, last year's event, invitation only. The problem is/was where do you draw the line? and what is the line about in the first place? drinking? rebel rousers? both?
We have a short list of people that aren't welcome based on past experiences but we've been lucky so far, those people haven't returned. More than likely they didn't have all that good a time with the rest of us anyway.
I think there's been quite a few people that have attended one or more of our outings that didn't "click" with the group as a whole and that's ok. As the article said, we're pretty laid back with very little drama. It doesn't matter what kind of boat a person has nor what kind of shape it's in, it's all about having a good time, meeting new folks and eating real good food. Sometimes I wonder if the food hasn't become the central focus :D

wsuwrhr
12-18-2005, 10:20 PM
The reasoning for changing the event to an invite-only deal i dont agree with, but respect. I think the problem in some people's eyes is that its the equivelant of "taking your ball and going home.", especially after the fun a lot of folks had at the previous events. Lots of us were looking forward to the next one. Hell i didn't even get an invite and I've done my best to try and promote not only the event but roostwear's site and clothing line as well.
Roost obviously felt he was hanging out there more than he wanted to. Whatever his reasons are, they aren't really our business. At least that is how I feel about it.
Please make sure you list the next get together at your house, I'll be offended if I don't recieve an invitation.
:) :)
Brian

Mighty Thor
12-18-2005, 10:40 PM
I understand where Mike is coming from. In a country where there are probably more lawyers than registered boat owners you can never be too careful. We have warnings on coffee cups telling you that the contents are hot for Gods sake due to a lawsuit. It takes only one wreck and an ambulance chasing lawyer and even if the boat driver was totally cool and would never think to sue, his family may. There is a certain degree of liability involved and without every attendee signing a waiver and then some you are still partially responsible somehow. You can still have a get together just change the name. Simple. Besides, do you really want a bunch of drunks on the beach as your safety crew? When we play it is responsibly with the pontoon boat out to pick up anyone who is tossed and most wear lifelines if not cheesy ski jackets. My $.02 because that is all I can afford.
Cy
yep its always the lawyers fault. I think I will quit helping injured people get money from insurance companies. They probably have more need for it than someone hurt through no fault of their own.
:rollside:

Cs19
12-18-2005, 11:37 PM
There is absolutly nothing wrong with Mike's choice to pull out on the FB deal. Life goes on and he has his invite only gig.Thats great..
The bottomline is most of us want to go to the river as a group and meet new people and see new boats on the water.I personally want to see the hotrod scene grow and Im more than convinced the scene has grown over the past few years after seeing all the new boats being laid up,expensive engines being built along with the growing intrest in bringing your hotrod to run river racer class with njba.Id like to think its only going to get bigger if we continue to do these events and I personally believe the internet will play a role in the river hotrodder scene.Roostwear's FB events to the public may be done, but we will continue to hit it like we did all last summer and before Roost's FB deals were ever born.
If we simply promote the events like we did for 6th street everything will be fine.6th street was hands down the most "stacked" event ever by a longshot, there was some serious equiptment there along with alot of players in the industry.There were no names tied to the event,no websites for the event, there wasn't a "movie night",there were no t-shirts, there was no schedule and we had a blast.The only issue was the location, that place just isnt set up for something like that.
Sure there is always going to be some dumbass who makes a stupid choice, we as a group can simply ask that person to leave, and not come back. Its a process of weeding them out.
Again, nothing against Mikes decisions and I do thank him for putting it all togethor in the past, myself and my better half enjoyed ourselves.
Chris

Cas
12-18-2005, 11:57 PM
Sure there is always going to be some dumbass who makes a stupid choice, we as a group can simply ask that person to leave, and not come back. Its a process of weeding them out.
Chris
That right there is probably one of the most important things to keep this whole thing going. The more people you can get involved with the planning, monitoring, policing or whatever, the better an outing can be.
The issue I personally had with what was going on is people were really ridiculing Mike and that is flat out wrong. If they don't like his decision, that's fine. There just isn't any good reason to mock him for it.
just my opinon

victorfb
12-19-2005, 01:26 AM
i fully understand the concern over liability. The reasoning for changing the event to an invite-only deal i dont agree with, but respect. I think the problem in some people's eyes is that its the equivelant of "taking your ball and going home.", especially after the fun a lot of folks had at the previous events. Lots of us were looking forward to the next one. Hell i didn't even get an invite and I've done my best to try and promote not only the event but roostwear's site and clothing line as well.
mike, unfortunatly you are coaught between a rock and a hrad place sort of speak. what many seem to be confused about is this invite only deal. its actually an open invitation from what i gather. you are told that you can invite and inform anyone you feel that wont put it in the public eye as for time and place as to keep the bad element out. unfortunatly you have been passed over by reasons of what im guessing is that since you and your boat have such a large following and are in the mainstream of hot boating and its events, you may have been looked over and noone wanted to be the one to spill the beans sort of speak. im sure mike appreciates all the promotion you have done for him and his buisness, but unfortunatly with the FC stuff it has to be kept out of the mainstream for obvious reasons. now with all of this now coming out into the public forums, it will be very difficult for mike im sure to be able to keep a lid on any FC event at all. it all boils down to this. you get the date and place and are trusted to keep it to yourself and if you trust a friend, you can invite him/her aswell. but it only takes ONE person to leak it on the forums and allow the "punks" to get wind of it. its all a matter of keeping it low key to keep the spirit alive.

Heatseeker
12-19-2005, 09:15 AM
... Sometimes I wonder if the food hasn't become the central focus :D
Steve, you know, I was just saying to myself that the only reason I show up every year is the food :wink: .
I can't blame roost for wanting to tone down his deal. It's his arse if the shiat hits the fan. I've had conversations with Steve on this very subject. It's easy to see that it only takes one loose person to really screw things up for everybody, especially the promoter.
I just hope that the promoters keep promoting and the boaters keep on keeping in line. These things are way too much fun to let disappear!

cyclone
12-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Roost obviously felt he was hanging out there more than he wanted to. Whatever his reasons are, they aren't really our business. At least that is how I feel about it.
Please make sure you list the next get together at your house, I'll be offended if I don't recieve an invitation.
:) :)
Brian
Right because that's exactly the same thing. :rolleyes:

cyclone
12-19-2005, 09:38 AM
mike, unfortunatly you are coaught between a rock and a hrad place sort of speak. what many seem to be confused about is this invite only deal. its actually an open invitation from what i gather. you are told that you can invite and inform anyone you feel that wont put it in the public eye as for time and place as to keep the bad element out. unfortunatly you have been passed over by reasons of what im guessing is that since you and your boat have such a large following and are in the mainstream of hot boating and its events, you may have been looked over and noone wanted to be the one to spill the beans sort of speak. im sure mike appreciates all the promotion you have done for him and his buisness, but unfortunatly with the FC stuff it has to be kept out of the mainstream for obvious reasons. now with all of this now coming out into the public forums, it will be very difficult for mike im sure to be able to keep a lid on any FC event at all. it all boils down to this. you get the date and place and are trusted to keep it to yourself and if you trust a friend, you can invite him/her aswell. but it only takes ONE person to leak it on the forums and allow the "punks" to get wind of it. its all a matter of keeping it low key to keep the spirit alive.
The only person following me to the river is my wife. But whatever you guys have fun and be safe out there. :)

victorfb
12-19-2005, 11:10 AM
you mean to tell me you dont let her ride with you? mike the marriage wont last long if you keep making her follow behind you..lol just funnin man. what i meant by a following is that many readers of hot boat and members of the forums have been following your progress. your boat builds, and racing carreer. and as you know, any time you have a fast boat, there are others out there that think thiers is faster and want to race. even people you never knew about, but they have heard about you. all it would take is for one person to say publicly that cyclone is heading out to big river this weekend for the Fc event, and the word would spread. it would be only a matter of time the word would reach the undesirebles.

Cas
12-19-2005, 11:29 AM
victor,
I'm reading all this and it's bugging me so I can only imagine what cyclone is thinking. To me, unless a person does something to warrant a ban, there shouldn't be one. cyclone or anyone else has no control over what others will do or say and it seems a bit unjust to exclude someone based on what might happen.
In any case, putting an organized weekend outing together isn't the easiest thing to do and no matter what, not everyone is going to be happy. The only thing that someone can try to do is get a bunch of people together that will have a good time without the drama.

victorfb
12-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Cas... first of all, cyclone was NOT excluded. if you read my post youll see that it was an open invitation. the only thing was that you kept it to yourself. if cyclone would have talked to mike (roostwear) he would have gotten all the info of the event. but chose to reley on others to inform him as many others did aswell. since when givin the info of the place and time you were told not to post the info on the open forums and such, nobody knew about it that didnt actually ask or look it up on the FC website. all the people that were informed kept thier word and didnt post it. you were able to invite others as long as you knew you could trust them to not blabber mouth it all over. it wasnt a secret event at all. it just wasnt promoted on open forums for everyone and anyone to see. it was the only way to keep control of the unwanted roudy crews. and it worked. the event was awsome and went smooth.

Squirtin Thunder
12-19-2005, 08:58 PM
Where are the pics Vic ???
Yah know "The 4 Tails to the Avi".

mirrorimage
12-19-2005, 09:23 PM
well from the way i seeit .. i hope we all ... get to meet new people and do a little traveling instead of just going to the races and the places that we frequent at the river . it was unfortunate for my self that i didnt get to join you fellas at either event .and hope that i could join you at a later time ... there has been a few people that i didnt wanna see at the river but ... we all have that kinda stuff :cry:

Cas
12-19-2005, 09:35 PM
unfortunatly you have been passed over by reasons of what im guessing is that since you and your boat have such a large following and are in the mainstream of hot boating and its events, you may have been looked over and noone wanted to be the one to spill the beans sort of speak..
Vic,
I guess the above quote stuck out to me more than the others. Since I wasn't there or at any other SoCal dealios, I'll just butt out now :D

cyclone
12-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Cas- thanks for the kind words. Don't sweat it because i'm not. :)