PDA

View Full Version : whirlway ?

flatrookie
10-16-2006, 09:29 PM
how can I tell if my drive has a whirlway ? I looked on rexmarine pic made it look like internal parts my drive does not have a locking handle

wsuwrhr
10-16-2006, 10:20 PM
how can I tell if my drive has a whirlway ? I looked on rexmarine pic made it look like internal parts my drive does not have a locking handle
See if you can turn the prop backwards by hand.
With the motor off and drive in gear.
Brian

wsuwrhr
10-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Pictures help

GofastRacer
10-17-2006, 04:21 AM
No locking handle? you probably don't have one?. If you have one there will be a 1 1/2" spacer between the shift housing and the case!...

river redy
10-17-2006, 04:44 AM
Brian
Do you have to have the motor off? (lol)

wsuwrhr
10-17-2006, 07:17 AM
Do you have to have the motor off? (lol)
I added that for liability.
I think the bodily damage would be severe.
Brian

flatrookie
10-17-2006, 08:48 AM
so the collar or spacer is external so it is on the output shaft ?

GofastRacer
10-17-2006, 09:18 AM
As I mentioned before, it goes between the shift housing and the case!..
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18829

wsuwrhr
10-17-2006, 10:34 AM
GoFaster, did you know you have a whirlaway?
Brian

GofastRacer
10-17-2006, 10:52 AM
GoFaster, did you know you have a whirlaway?
Brian
Nope just figured that out! :D

wsuwrhr
10-17-2006, 11:06 AM
The spacer on the bottom shaft housing likely means you have a whirlaway.
Just thought you should know.
Brian

dmontzsta
10-17-2006, 11:37 AM
You should probably buy a new one. :D

GofastRacer
10-17-2006, 11:52 AM
The spacer on the bottom shaft housing likely means you have a whirlaway.
Just thought you should know.
Brian
Thaks Brian I appreciate that!.. :D

GofastRacer
10-17-2006, 11:53 AM
You should probably buy a new one. :D
Probably!.. :p :D

beaverfab
10-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Just so you know I just rebuilt a V-drive and someone had put shift dogs but not release dogs in the case, had spacer but no release. You should try the prop for sure. Just my .02 j.j. :)

GofastRacer
10-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Just so you know I just rebuilt a V-drive and someone had put shift dogs but not release dogs in the case, had spacer but no release. You should try the prop for sure. Just my .02 j.j. :)
Wow, somebody was that dumb!.. :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

Mr. V-Driver
10-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Heck, forget all the mumbo jumbo! Just send me your V-Drive so I can fix it up for you the correct way!
Send to: Casale Engineering, 13030 E. Telegraph Rd., Sante Fe Springs, Ca. 90670
Then all you have to do is stick it back in the boat and your on your Way!!!
I'll have to shorten your propshaft by 1.5" and re-key it as well. If you in CA. you can bring it to me anytime M-F 9-5:30. Also I'll be at Bakersfield, lake Ming on Saturday 10-21 for the NJBA races. Other guys are bringing me their V-Drives as well.
Always here to serve ya, Mr. V-Driver
ps. Mr. GoFastRacer knows what he's got!!! He's a real Smart Cookie!

wsuwrhr
10-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Thaks Brian I appreciate that!.. :D
You're welcome
Brian

wsuwrhr
10-17-2006, 01:08 PM
MR. Spamtastic.
I'm sure in spamalicious school you were taught how to take a joke.
Gofasterracer is well aware that I know, that he knows what he is doing.
But thank you for noticing.
Carry on Sir.
Brian

wsuwrhr
10-17-2006, 01:09 PM
For free?
Heck, forget all the mumbo jumbo! Just send me your V-Drive so I can fix it up for you the correct way!
Send to: Casale Engineering, 13030 E. Telegraph Rd., Sante Fe Springs, Ca. 90670
Then all you have to do is stick it back in the boat and your on your Way!!!
I'll have to shorten your propshaft by 1.5" and re-key it as well. If you in CA. you can bring it to me anytime M-F 9-5:30. Also I'll be at Bakersfield, lake Ming on Saturday 10-21 for the NJBA races. Other guys are bringing me their V-Drives as well.
Always here to serve ya, Mr. V-Driver

flatrookie
10-17-2006, 04:19 PM
cool thnx for the pic I am very new to all of this and learing more everyday what is the fluid line coming off the right side of the case for ?

wsuwrhr
10-17-2006, 05:03 PM
cool thnx for the pic I am very new to all of this and learing more everyday what is the fluid line coming off the right side of the case for ?
Water out right side. Water in left side. For Oil cooling.
How did I do GoFasterRacer?
Brian

Mr. V-Driver
10-17-2006, 06:19 PM
For free?
You need to remove the "R"! For Fee = $$$. Everyone has to EAT sometime!
If you want FREE, this is what you get!!!>>>!!!>>>
You get a FREE T-Shirt, gaskets and decals with purchase of WWII, I'll give that!!!
FREE advice, FREE service manual, and your personal favorite Absolutely FREE Spamtasimaticall Spamtaneous Spamonii Spamalicious Spamfishpatties!
Made from SPAM! SPAM in the Ocean!!!

Rexone
10-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Thanx for setting us all straight MVD, you're just awesome.

Mr. V-Driver
10-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Thanxx, You all make my World go Round!!!

wsuwrhr
10-17-2006, 06:38 PM
You sir are a nut.
But I am glad you are here.
I haven't seen V-drive Tom on here much, I wonder what happened to him.
I'll take the shirt as I already have a WWII.
Thanks,
Brian
You need to remove the "R"! For Fee = $$$. Everyone has to EAT sometime!
If you want FREE, this is what you get!!!>>>!!!>>>
You get a FREE T-Shirt, gaskets and decals with purchase of WWII, I'll give that!!!
FREE advice, FREE service manual, and your personal favorite Absolutely FREE Spamtasimaticall Spamtaneous Spamonii Spamalicious Spamfishpatties!
Made from SPAM! SPAM in the Ocean!!!

GofastRacer
10-17-2006, 06:54 PM
That is a water line to cool the v-drive, note the line on the other side it is conected to a small pickup in the floor, water is force fed and the line on the right dumps into the shaftlog!..

GofastRacer
10-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Water out right side. Water in left side. For Oil cooling.
How did I do GoFasterRacer?
Brian
Couldn't have said it better myself!.. :p :D

bordsmnj
10-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Brian
wouldn't it spin the other way??

bordsmnj
10-17-2006, 08:08 PM
<---doesn't know $#!&

GofastRacer
10-17-2006, 08:10 PM
He's got circle boat on the mind!. :D

bordsmnj
10-17-2006, 08:12 PM
just a wanna-be for now. :cool:

GofastRacer
10-17-2006, 08:14 PM
just a wanna-be for now. :cool:
It's cool!.. :cool:

flatrookie
10-17-2006, 08:18 PM
That is a water line to cool the v-drive, note the line on the other side it is conected to a small pickup in the floor, water is force fed and the line on the right dumps into the shaftlog!..
so there is cooling passenges inside the case ? and shoud I set up my drive w/cooler lines ? what type of fluid is also inside the case and what is the interval to change it ?

GofastRacer
10-17-2006, 08:31 PM
so there is cooling passenges inside the case ? and shoud I set up my drive w/cooler lines ? what type of fluid is also inside the case and what is the interval to change it ?
Yes there is a passage, but unless you're going to run marathon with the boat you don't really need to put water thru it. Use a synthetic gear oil and it will run cooler than with a conventional gear oil, also you won't have to worry about ever getting water in the v-drive!. When to change it depends on the use just like anything else, gear oil lasts a long time but it's wise to pop the case once in a while and just look around in there, you gotta remember where that thing is sitting!..

wsuwrhr
10-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Since I didn't know whether it was left hand/right hand prop....
Backwords meant the opposite direction of which it normally spins Mr BordsMJ.
Brian

wsuwrhr
10-17-2006, 08:34 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself!.. :p :D
See I know stuff.
Brian

GofastRacer
10-17-2006, 08:41 PM
See I know stuff.
Brian
Yes you do!.. :D

GofastRacer
10-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Since I didn't know whether it was left hand/right hand prop....
Backwords meant the opposite direction of which it normally spins Mr BordsMJ.
Brian
Good reply there chief!.. :D

GofastRacer
10-17-2006, 08:56 PM
just grab hold of the prop and hold on tight.. have your buddy start the engine and pop it into gear.. if you can keep it from spinning - whirlaway.. if not - no more hang nails:D
LMFAO!.. :D

superdave013
10-17-2006, 09:02 PM
See I smell $hit.
Brian
Ass kisser! :D

flatrookie
10-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Yes there is a passage, but unless you're going to run marathon with the boat you don't really need to put water thru it. Use a synthetic gear oil and it will run cooler than with a conventional gear oil, also you won't have to worry about ever getting water in the v-drive!. When to change it depends on the use just like anything else, gear oil lasts a long time but it's wise to pop the case once in a while and just look around in there, you gotta remember where that thing is sitting!..
so how do you service the drive is there a fill and drain plug and how do you how much to put in ?

V-Drive Tom
10-18-2006, 06:23 AM
You sir are a nut.
But I am glad you are here.
I haven't seen V-drive Tom on here much, I wonder what happened to him.
I'll take the shirt as I already have a WWII.
Thanks,
Brian
Brian, Here is a post for you. I am here for anyone that would like to CALL me and get information on thier v-drive. Questions answered or complete work done. All of you guys are doing a great job answering questions without me. But THANKS for the stick in the side. It made me take the time to type something. TOM.. :crossx:

GofastRacer
10-18-2006, 06:50 AM
so how do you service the drive is there a fill and drain plug and how do you how much to put in ?
There is no drain plug, you pop the case(towards the front)to drain the oil you can inspect things at the same time, if the gasket is good use white grease on assembly. To fill it there is a pipe plug at the top of the case you took off, on the other case there is a pipe plug at the bottom on the right side, fill to the threads like you would on a rear end on a car!. BTW, unless you have the tapered bearings you will need a puller for the top bearing!..

wsuwrhr
10-18-2006, 07:29 AM
My buddy V-Drive Tom put tapered bearings in my V-drive.
So I don't need SD's bitchen puller?
I'm still learning.
Brian
There is no drain plug, you pop the case(towards the front)to drain the oil you can inspect things at the same time, if the gasket is good use white grease on assembly. To fill it there is a pipe plug at the top of the case you took off, on the other case there is a pipe plug at the bottom on the right side, fill to the threads like you would on a rear end on a car!. BTW, unless you have the tapered bearings you will need a puller for the top bearing!..

wsuwrhr
10-18-2006, 07:30 AM
Well hot damn.
Where you been? Don't be such a stranger.
I would call, but I am sure you are tired of hearing from me.
:cool: :cool:
Brian
Brian, Here is a post for you. I am here for anyone that would like to CALL me and get information on thier v-drive. Questions answered or complete work done. All of you guys are doing a great job answering questions without me. But THANKS for the stick in the side. It made me take the time to type something. TOM.. :crossx:

wsuwrhr
10-18-2006, 07:31 AM
Good reply there chief!.. :D
Hey thanks.
Brian

superdave013
10-18-2006, 07:43 AM
I'm still learning.
Brian
I don't make those any more. But all of the 3 main players have them. I do have to say the one Mitch had at the long beach race was pretty pimp. His were heat treated with a black oxide coating. Slightly over kill but sure looked nice.

GofastRacer
10-18-2006, 07:49 AM
I'm still learning.
Brian
Well good for you!. :)

GofastRacer
10-18-2006, 07:50 AM
Hey thanks.
Brian
Hey you're quite welcome!. :D

wsuwrhr
10-18-2006, 07:53 AM
I don't make those any more. But all of the 3 main players have them. I do have to say the one Mitch had at the long beach race was pretty pimp. His were heat treated with a black oxide coating. Slightly over kill but sure looked nice.
Your mill is just sitting there RIGHT NOW. It could be cranking out little SD bearing pullers AS WE TYPE.
Black oxide is cheap, my black oxide goes to a shop in Anaheim to be done.
Brian

Mr. V-Driver
10-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Thanxx!!
Just about everything I make is OverKiLL and Race Proven! I LOVE my work and take pride in each and every piece I make for all you guys. Besides working, It absolutely has to look Niiiiiiiiice!
Thatz why Most of the Top Doggs come to me and even the little Bow Wows. I LOVE them all!!!
People across the Globe have me make them stuff,...From
England, Australia, Sweeden, Canada, Mexico, Africa, Taiwan, and the Good Old USA.
All of you out there, THANKXX!!!!!

superdave013
10-18-2006, 08:54 AM
Your mill is just sitting there RIGHT NOW. It could be cranking out little SD bearing pullers AS WE TYPE.
Black oxide is cheap, my black oxide goes to a shop in Anaheim to be done.
Brian
nope, right now it's busy putting vents in these HUGE bus rotors. That will pay 10X what I could get for a batch of bearing pullers and I don't have to sit on them.
The pullers were fun while they lasted. I have 100's of them out there.

superdave013
10-19-2006, 10:19 AM
I guess I should clarify that a bit.
Yes, I'll make some. But I won't make any less then 25 sets. Also I don't plan on sitting on them. So if someone wants a batch of 25 I'll get right on it. :rollside:

Mr. V-Driver
10-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Yep, thatz what I do and get $$paid$$ in advance!!! Glad I finished all those, now I got my 7 cnc mills cranking out every ting form NHRA engine parts to V-drive parts, and custom fabbed stuff. I just hope my Endmills and drills Laaaaaast!!! Don't ya just LOVE the SMuueelll of Old soluble oil/water Koolent?!?!?

CircleJerk
10-20-2006, 10:42 PM
And many thanks to you Tom! that Menkins performed perfectly in SS396's new-old Sanger. You should have heard him holler as he trolled by. Very rewarding experience for a jerk! You are one unsung hero on helping lots of idiots like me! Some are right here!!! Thanks again and maybe see you at Burley??

wsuwrhr
10-21-2006, 06:37 AM
Don't ya just LOVE the SMuueelll of Old soluble oil/water Koolent?!?!?
Don't be such a pussy,
Try a better QUALITY of oil and don't let the machines sit around.
Sheesh,
Brian

Mr. V-Driver
10-23-2006, 08:08 AM
We'll,... the machines can't walk!!!
They sit in place and SkkReeeemmm, Yeee..chip, chip, chip, Whronpp, whronpp, chck, chck, neeyaroll, neeyaroll... while The tools change and chips fly!!! I just keep pouring in the 5gal. bukets of blue oil/water mix. This stuff isn't exactly cheeep!!! Not the Most $$expensive, but my Cobalt, carbide, and high speeed tools seem to love it and Laaaaast!!!