PDA

View Full Version : sheared pulley bolts

Schiada76
10-17-2006, 06:47 AM
Anyone ever shear the three bolts from the pulley assembly to the dampner?
I'm thinking the belt was just a tad too tight. :D
First trip out with the new motor and hat it was running like a cat on fire until the pullies fell off. Thank god I was shutting it off when it happened.
How much play do you want in the belt with an intercooler? I had about a half inch in each direction.
Rio, Thanks again for throttle bracket it works perfect.

wsuwrhr
10-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Might want to check the chamfer on all the pulleys.
A rock crawer buddy of mine kept shearing the driveshaft bolts. I was over his house when he was replacing the bolts and neither flange had any chamfer
whatsoever. Talk about a perfect shear.
Added a good chamfer to all parts and no more sheared off bolts.
Brian
First trip out with the new motor and hat it was running like a cat on fire until the pullies fell off. Thank god I was shutting it off when it happened.
How much play do you want in the belt with an intercooler? I had about a half inch in each direction.

cyclone
10-17-2006, 08:00 AM
i did the same thing with my blower motor. sheered the bolts, lower pulley fell into the bilge and the blower belt flew into the river. I found out the six bolt setup is the way to go and not the three bolt set up. I bought a new six bolt balancer from good vibrations racing and was good to go from there on out.

superdave013
10-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Is that with the engine hot or cold?
And one last question:
You are using 6 grade 8 bolts and hardend washers right?

cole555
10-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Ati makes a dampner for supercharger pulley set up and ,it has a receiver so you need a longer dampner bolt and washer.

blowngas
10-17-2006, 09:09 AM
use grade 8 bolts, and check them from time to time----don't try stainless----stainless is tough, not hard-----they will last a little while and then start bending and loosen up the pulley-----and use a 6 hole dampner if you run one---- a blower puts a pretty good load on things to drive it------but sure makes things fun!!!!

sgdiv7
10-17-2006, 09:56 AM
All that was said above and use a serviceable lock tight like blue. I have only 3 bolts to the damper with 12lbs boost and alternator. No fall off yet.

Schiada76
10-17-2006, 10:20 AM
3 bolt dampner. It's a pos Weiand blower that's loose as a goose. Never checked the boost but was about 12#'s before the hat went on.
Was running stainless bolts which I knew was contributory.
The belt play was 1" net when cold.
Can it be safe with the the three bolt dampner and grade 8 bolts?
I'm sure happy I was pulling up to my buoy when it went away, right when I shut it off. :D

DMOORE
10-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Should be good with grade 8 bolts and washers with locktite (blue).
Darrell.

Bobby Knight
10-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Agreed w / almost all said above. 1" play should be good on the belt, and if it was to tight, you would usually destroy the bearings in the blower, and then of course, a good chance of the blower itself. I would never run the 3 bolt system. Especially in a boat. Especially w/ 12 pounds. Especially after this. I know some are fortunate, but thats less common. Just my .02. Good Luck

superdave013
10-17-2006, 09:17 PM
The every day stainless bolt is = to about a grade 2.
They look good but are weak sauce.

Rexone
10-18-2006, 02:06 AM
Good advice there. Run Grade 8 on anything drive or driveshaft related. If you must have stainless, ARP has the 300 series 6 pt and 12 pt which are claimed to be stronger than Grade 8.

wsuwrhr
10-18-2006, 07:36 AM
Good advice there. Run Grade 8 on anything drive or driveshaft related. If you must have stainless, ARP has the 300 series 6 pt and 12 pt which are claimed to be stronger than Grade 8.
My whole boat is rigged with ARP stainless bolts.
Except the drivetrain. ARP too, steel though.
I still get Christmas cards from them.
Brian

Schiada76
10-18-2006, 07:51 AM
My whole boat is rigged with ARP stainless bolts.
Except the drivetrain. ARP too, steel though.
Brian
Where's your boat parked? :idea: :D

wsuwrhr
10-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Where's your boat parked? :idea: :D
haha.
In my backyard....two boats even.
You are welcome to come over and check it out.
However, if your plans are sinister...
Be warned, I have an 80% guard dog, the owner of the establishment has firearms and little concern for consequences when someone is messing with his property.
Just a public service here.
Brian

wsuwrhr
10-18-2006, 08:12 AM
They look nice, all polished.
Bling Bling's boat is rigged the same.
Brian

Schiada76
10-18-2006, 09:41 AM
haha.
In my backyard....two boats even.
You are welcome to come over and check it out.
However, if your plans are sinister...
Be warned, I have an 80% guard dog, the owner of the establishment has firearms and little concern for consequences when someone is messing with his property.
Just a public service here.
Brian
I'll just schedule my visit to coincide with one of your soirées with SD and bring some steaks for Mopar. Are they all twelve point? :D

wsuwrhr
10-18-2006, 10:46 AM
I'll just schedule my visit to coincide with one of your soirées with SD and bring some steaks for Mopar. Are they all twelve point? :D
I don't know if the steak thing would work, never tried it with a stranger, but she doesn't hang out with people she doesn't know when we are not around.
Just trying to help.
50% bolts and nylocks, 50% studs and nuts.
All twelve points of course.
Do you feel lucky punk?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Brian

blowngas
10-18-2006, 11:29 AM
I'll bet you do!!!!-----must have been a $$$$ of an order!!!

Schiada76
10-21-2006, 04:28 PM
Well at least I was smart enough to use the black oxide cap screws on the v-pulley. I think they = grade 8.
The fun part was trying to drill the sheared bolts and get an ez out in.
Is it just me or do those fckn things never work? :220v:
Drilled everything out, retapped to 7/16" and the puller is tightened up on the balancer right now. Focker won't budge.
Six bolt dampner is going back on for sure. :D

gn7
10-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Can the damn three bolt damper and step up to an ATI, there is six bolts in those pulleys for a reason, then someone comes a long and decides to reinvent the wheel and tie the things down with three wippey bolts and people pay their hard earned money buying that junk thinking some put some thought into it.

Schiada76
10-25-2006, 06:46 AM
The new ATI dampner is on the bench.
The difference between it and the dampner I had is quite evident.
I did learn quite a bit about boost and dampners though. Like don't buy or use any Weiand ( yeah I know I bought it before I knew better) junk if you're going to try and make boost. Their pulley installation is kind of half assed.
I will be using their v-pulley still but I need to drill out the mounting points where the blower pulley screws to the v-pulley so I can through bolt the blower pulley directly to the dampner. I also need to have a bushing milled so their v-pulley fits the ATI hub properly.
The cap screws I used were supposed to be grade eight, they were in the kit, but who knows for sure. I will be ordering ARP for the reinstall.

gn7
10-25-2006, 03:01 PM
you can get v pulleys and any spacers you may need from good vibrations in whittier. good guys with decent prices. I wouldn't even mess with drilling and bushings you will regret it.

Schiada76
10-25-2006, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=gn7]you can get v pulleys and any spacers you may need from good vibrations in whittier. good guys with decent prices. I wouldn't even mess with drilling and bushings you will regret it.[/QUOTE
Checked with them and they said to drill out the six tapped holes on the pulley they have to through bolt to the damper.
I think the Blower Shop makes one though. :D