PDA

View Full Version : need opinion

Advantage Adam
10-17-2006, 07:47 AM
I am a current magic deckboat owner and I am looking at getting a newer 28' deck w/ bigger power. I want to get the mercury 700 sci. I wanted to get opinions and feedback on the setup and if anyone has any first hand experience w/ the motor.
I understand that there are motors that cost less and have more power w/ the same reliability. I am just doing some homework on this particular motor for now.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...
AP

Phat Matt
10-17-2006, 08:21 AM
What are you planning on spending for that set up?

Advantage Adam
10-17-2006, 08:25 AM
i haven't nailed down a final price yet.

LESSON LEARNED
10-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Adam,
Buy my boat for 125k and Dave will turn it into a deck for you for 6k....
It will get you were u need to go.....
Hows life in Havi?
Andy...

Advantage Adam
10-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Adam,
Buy my boat for 125k and Dave will turn it into a deck for you for 6k....
It will get you were u need to go.....
Hows life in Havi?
Andy...
Life in Havi is good. You may have yourself a deal on that Andy! I will think about it and get back to ya!

DMOORE
10-17-2006, 11:49 AM
I would do some price comparisons. Check into what a Teague 800 will run. Might give you more power for less.
Darrell.

shippingguy
10-17-2006, 12:12 PM
I would do some research. I was going to run the new 700 in my new boat, but went with the Teague 800. The Merc 700 was like $2000-3000 more. The NXT Drive is bad ass, but from what I have seen and heard the 700 is not much different than the 600. It has a taller intercooler. I have also heard from a reputable builder that was rigging one say they are a pain in the ass to rig.

LESSON LEARNED
10-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Life in Havi is good. You may have yourself a deal on that Andy! I will think about it and get back to ya!
Let me know brother, I might even drop a few K off of that for you if you are interested. Have a good one......
Andy....

Advantage Adam
10-17-2006, 01:10 PM
I would do some research. I was going to run the new 700 in my new boat, but went with the Teague 800. The Merc 700 was like $2000-3000 more. The NXT Drive is bad ass, but from what I have seen and heard the 700 is not much different than the 600. It has a taller intercooler. I have also heard from a reputable builder that was rigging one say they are a pain in the ass to rig.
thanks for the input..
A

shippingguy
10-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Anytime. That is what we are here for. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision. Either direction you go you can't really go wrong. Both make a great product and you are going to hear good and bad about both. In the end you have to go with your own gut. I would get a spec sheet on both motors and compare what they have in them. I think you will see Teague has alot higher quality parts in his motor. In my opinion I think the ultimate setup between the two would be the Teague 800 with the new Merc NXT Drive hanging off the transom, but that is not available.

LESSON LEARNED
10-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Remember mine has a TCM900.....HAHAHa just throughing that out there for you.....

Keith E. Sayre
10-17-2006, 03:54 PM
if you're thinking about doing another Magic, check with them to see if they've measured it up with the new outdrive to see if it will fit properly under the rear swimstep. We don't think that it'll fit under ours without
modifying the swimstep which could get expensive. Since
the Magic swimstep is pretty close to ours in height, you
may get lucky , maybe not but I'd hate to see you sell
what you have now only to find out that it may not work?
Wish I had better news but until we get one, we're guessing that the answer is probably no on our boat.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Phat Matt
10-17-2006, 03:59 PM
i haven't nailed down a final price yet.
I guess I should have asked what you are budgeting or would like to spend. I got two turn key motors (850 HP) with XR drives for probably less than one of those new Merc 700 set ups would be. If you haven't checked out the E-ticket you should stop by their place in Havi next time.

Advantage Adam
10-18-2006, 07:59 AM
Anytime. That is what we are here for. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision. Either direction you go you can't really go wrong. Both make a great product and you are going to hear good and bad about both. In the end you have to go with your own gut. I would get a spec sheet on both motors and compare what they have in them. I think you will see Teague has alot higher quality parts in his motor. In my opinion I think the ultimate setup between the two would be the Teague 800 with the new Merc NXT Drive hanging off the transom, but that is not available.
that is exactly what I was thinking.

Advantage Adam
10-18-2006, 08:03 AM
I guess I should have asked what you are budgeting or would like to spend. I got two turn key motors (850 HP) with XR drives for probably less than one of those new Merc 700 set ups would be. If you haven't checked out the E-ticket you should stop by their place in Havi next time.
Matt,
How fast does your boat run with 850HP?

Advantage Adam
10-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Remember mine has a TCM900.....HAHAHa just throughing that out there for you.....
Thanks for the reminder. :) What boat are you going to get once you sell the DCB?

DMOORE
10-18-2006, 09:43 AM
ADVANTAGE ADAM,
Have you looked into the IMCO 1000 drive setup? It may be more comperable to the NXT drive . I do not know the pricing, but the Teague 800 with this drive may be a real alternative for you. Merc has great products, but there are better values out there.
Darrell.

Advantage Adam
10-18-2006, 11:16 AM
ADVANTAGE ADAM,
Have you looked into the IMCO 1000 drive setup? It may be more comperable to the NXT drive . I do not know the pricing, but the Teague 800 with this drive may be a real alternative for you. Merc has great products, but there are better values out there.
Darrell.
Thanks Darrell. I will check that out!

LESSON LEARNED
10-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the reminder. :) What boat are you going to get once you sell the DCB?
Nothing in the works yet.....Have been looking at some Sunseekers down in Newport......750k willput me in what I like for now.....I have to sell the DCB for gas money.....

Phat Matt
10-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Matt,
How fast does your boat run with 850HP?
I hit low 80's last weekend. Chop is fun and rough water hasn't been an issues. It's a totally smooth ride. I look forward to the rough stuff. :D
Loaded up with 8 people, full tanks and gear during the summer it will run in the low 70's. These are realistic numbers. I might like to go faster sometimes, but I am sure it's fast enough for my passengers with their faces flapping in the wind. :D
Driving around the docks or pulling in between boats is a piece of cake with the twins also. Plus the 496's take 87 octane all day long and should run for years with regular oil changes instead of tear downs and rebuilds.
Of course, these are just my opinions.

shippingguy
10-18-2006, 12:33 PM
ADVANTAGE ADAM,
Darrell.
Those two drives are not comparable. The NXT is a baby #6 and has a tranny if I am not mistaken. I also have heard from a very reliable source that does many water tests if not all for Eliminator that the Imco 1000 with the same power runs slower than the Imco SC and said not to spend the money to just go with the Imco SC not the 1000. That is if you are looking at Imco drives.

Advantage Adam
10-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Those two drives are not comparable. The NXT is a baby #6 and has a tranny if I am not mistaken. I also have heard from a very reliable source that does many water tests if not all for Eliminator that the Imco 1000 with the same power runs slower than the Imco SC and said not to spend the money to just go with the Imco SC not the 1000. That is if you are looking at Imco drives.
I like the nxt drive. My thoughts are I will have fewer problems w/ that drive over a TCM or IMCO. THough I am not sure that I want to spend the money on an engine that has 700hp when there are others that put out more HP and less money.
I appreciate everyones input. My next call will be to Magic to see if there will be and problems fitting that drive under the swim step.
AP

shippingguy
10-18-2006, 01:10 PM
I like the nxt drive. My thoughts are I will have fewer problems w/ that drive over a TCM or IMCO. THough I am not sure that I want to spend the money on an engine that has 700hp when there are others that put out more HP and less money.
I appreciate everyones input. My next call will be to Magic to see if there will be and problems fitting that drive under the swim step.
AP
It all depends on how you drive the boat. If you abuse the drive you will have problems no doubt. If you respect it and maintain it you will be fine. What steered me a away from the 700 package is that with the NXT drive it is ALOT heavier package and also I have not been very impressed with the Merc 600 and the 700 is really not much different. It runs a taller intercooler. I think it is 3/4-1 inch taller. Keep us posted.

Advantage Adam
10-18-2006, 01:17 PM
It all depends on how you drive the boat. If you abuse the drive you will have problems no doubt. If you respect it and maintain it you will be fine. What steered me a away from the 700 package is that with the NXT drive it is ALOT heavier package and also I have not been very impressed with the Merc 600 and the 700 is really not much different. It runs a taller intercooler. I think it is 3/4-1 inch taller. Keep us posted.
will do...

DMOORE
10-18-2006, 01:27 PM
I guess I should have clarified my statement better. In terms of comparability of the 1000 and NXT, I was actually refering to horsepower and speed capability. The benifit of the 1000 would be, I believe, weight ( don't know exact weight). As far as the speed benefit of the SC over the 1000, that makes sense. Most times when your pushing larger hardware, gears and such, you'll get more parasitic loss.The flip side of that, is the reliability of the 1000. And like I said, I have no idea what those new drives are running. That may be a deciding factor.
Darrell.

shippingguy
10-18-2006, 01:35 PM
I guess I should have clarified my statement better. In terms of comparability of the 1000 and NXT, I was actually refering to horsepower and speed capability. The benifit of the 1000 would be, I believe, weight ( don't know exact weight). As far as the speed benefit of the SC over the 1000, that makes sense. Most times when your pushing larger hardware, gears and such, you'll get more parasitic loss.The flip side of that, is the reliability of the 1000. And like I said, I have no idea what those new drives are running. That may be a deciding factor.
Darrell.
I agree...

SnakeWrench
10-18-2006, 01:40 PM
I was going to mention that, but you did it first. The 1000 is very difficult to set up in a single application. I would look into the Teague deal. Teague still has the 720 that got well over 100 with our cat.

shippingguy
10-18-2006, 01:46 PM
I was going to mention that, but you did it first. The 1000 is very difficult to set up in a single application. I would look into the Teague deal. Teague still has the 720 that got well over 100 with our cat.
Great minds think alike :rollside: I went with the Teague package on mine. Should be on the water next week. That is great performance out of the 720.

DAVID
10-25-2006, 01:33 PM
I am a current magic deckboat owner and I am looking at getting a newer 28' deck w/ bigger power. I want to get the mercury 700 sci. I wanted to get opinions and feedback on the setup and if anyone has any first hand experience w/ the motor.
I understand that there are motors that cost less and have more power w/ the same reliability. I am just doing some homework on this particular motor for now.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...
AP
We at Semper have a Fundeck going into production now with a 700.

Advantage Adam
10-25-2006, 02:59 PM
We at Semper have a Fundeck going into production now with a 700.
Keep me posted on the results