PDA

View Full Version : Looky what I finally got my hands on.

Dominator Scott
10-17-2006, 01:55 PM
I got a BIG piece to the Sanger restoration project Sunday. Spent the last 2 night polishing them up and removing as much blue off them as possible. They are going on tonight. My dads gonna love it. :rollside:
"Plumb Krazy" from Bad Apple Racing had them sitting in his garage for several years so they were pretty dusty and needed a good polishing but the headers are in nice shape. Best of all it was only an hour drive from me. :)

Dominator Scott
10-17-2006, 01:59 PM
The Sanger they are going on.

wright27
10-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Congrats on the find. That should give you some more power and much better sound. Boat looks great.

4trax
10-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Those look real nice. Your Dad will be proud & shocked. :rollside:
http://***boat.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18849
http://***boat.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18850
http://***boat.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18851

atxwrangler
10-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Nice, When Are Ya Gonna Put Them On?glad You Found Some!

b's sanger
10-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Nice ride. Not that I'm bias or anything. :D

Dominator Scott
10-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Congrats on the find. That should give you some more power and much better sound. Boat looks great.
Thanks, They have a little surface rust in between the pipes where they meet the collector but from what I have seen it appears to be normal unless they are jet coated. Hopefully they will wake up the motor a bit and have a nice bark.

Dominator Scott
10-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Nice, When Are Ya Gonna Put Them On?glad You Found Some!
Tonight buddy. I haven't slept worth a chit the past 2 nights because I am so anxious to get them on the boat. :rolleyes:

beerjet
10-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks, They have a little surface rust in between the pipes where they meet the collector but from what I have seen it appears to be normal unless they are jet coated. Hopefully they will wake up the motor a bit and have a nice bark.
The rust is very typical. Just stay on it.
-beerjet-

b's sanger
10-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Make sure you wipe them down well before you start it. Any oil from your hands or elsewear will become permanent if you don't. Acetone works well, just keep it away from your paint.

4trax
10-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Sorry about the wide posts. I don't know what I did wrong.

Dominator Scott
10-17-2006, 02:14 PM
The rust is very typical. Just stay on it.
-beerjet-
Someone told me to spray oven cleaner on them to remove the surface rust and then use a metal polish. Will that do the trick for getting rid of the rust?
It just kinda bugs me. :yuk:

b's sanger
10-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Haven't heard of that. Don't know if it will affect the chrome. Spend the money and get them jet coated. One of the best things I did.

Devilman
10-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Someone told me to spray oven cleaner on them to remove the surface rust and then use a metal polish. Will that do the trick for getting rid of the rust?
It just kinda bugs me. :yuk:
I was told in the past when thinking about new headers, that the rust would come back in the same nooks & crannies within a year or so unless I was religious about keepin 'em clean. That was enough to change my mind about new headers. If I do anything, I'll get 'em coated..... :rollside: Those look pretty damn good though, good find!

Dominator Scott
10-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Jet coating is gonna have to wait a while. I have went way over budget on this project and I still haven't gotten the bill on my gimbal ring replacements for my 32 Dominator. :rolleyes: Man it sucks working on 2 boats at the same time.

Dominator Scott
10-17-2006, 02:27 PM
I was told in the past when thinking about new headers, that the rust would come back in the same nooks & crannies within a year or so unless I was religious about keepin 'em clean. That was enough to change my mind about new headers. If I do anything, I'll get 'em coated..... :rollside: Those look pretty damn good though, good find!
You should of seen them when I started. The blue haze went from the header flange to about 4" from the end of the collector. :yuk: Semichrome polish and a high speed wheel work wonders. :cool:

squirt'nmyload
10-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Tonight buddy. I haven't slept worth a chit the past 2 nights because I am so anxious to get them on the boat. :rolleyes:
ha ha...i don't think i could've waited 2 nights.....i was so excited i put mine on as soon as i brought em home!!!!

Dominator Scott
10-17-2006, 02:57 PM
ha ha...i don't think i could've waited 2 nights.....i was so excited i put mine on as soon as i brought em home!!!!
They needed some big time polishing before I was gonna put them on. It's been driving me crazy though.

FOURQ
10-17-2006, 06:57 PM
sorry to be an ass but you have to loose those buggy seats.... thats total redneck white trash there...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18854

Devilman
10-17-2006, 07:19 PM
You should of seen them when I started. The blue haze went from the header flange to about 4" from the end of the collector. :yuk: Semichrome polish and a high speed wheel work wonders. :cool:
I've heard the Simichrome was some good stuff. Don't waste your money on that Blue Away or whatever its called. Total waste of money & time..... :rolleyes:

superdave013
10-17-2006, 09:24 PM
I think they look real racy when ya cut the bells off. Make 'em just long enough to get some slip in mufflers in (just in case).
I freaking love that paint job.

4trax
10-18-2006, 04:08 AM
Thanks, Beerjet :)

Dominator Scott
10-18-2006, 06:23 AM
sorry to be an ass but you have to loose those buggy seats.... thats total redneck white trash there...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18854
I went with those seats for a couple reasons.
1) I looked high and low for some seats that were close to the original equipment and everything I found was either an over priced piece of chit that wasn't worth half of what they wanted. Or the seats that I liked were simply out of the budget.
2)My fathers physical condition isn't the greatest. He is a cancer survivor so needless to say he gets tired easily. So I wanted a seat that would be easy maintenance and with these he can simply unsnap the covers and hang them up to dry. Plus if the seat covers go bad it's 20 bucks for a new set and he is back in business again,along with the fact there is no wood to rot out on them from rain or moisture.
Frankly I was surprised at how comfortable the seats are to begin with so they will be staying in the boat. If anything I will have the seat backs cut down a bit and the cover refit accordingly.

wright27
10-18-2006, 06:37 AM
I went with those seats for a couple reasons.
1) I looked high and low for some seats that were close to the original equipment and everything I found was either an over priced piece of chit that wasn't worth half of what they wanted. Or the seats that I liked were simply out of the budget.
2)My fathers physical condition isn't the greatest. He is a cancer survivor so needless to say he gets tired easily. So I wanted a seat that would be easy maintenance and with these he can simply unsnap the covers and hang them up to dry. Plus if the seat covers go bad it's 20 bucks for a new set and he is back in business again,along with the fact there is no wood to rot out on them from rain or moisture.
Frankly I was surprised at how comfortable the seats are to begin with so they will be staying in the boat. If anything I will have the seat backs cut down a bit and the cover refit accordingly.
Just curious how much padding is in those seats. I have had similar seats in some old cars I have had and the were not to soft for the bumbs.

Xerophobic
10-18-2006, 06:39 AM
Seats look fine to me. I guess if you're boat isn't that fast you don't need to be comfortable .....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3722Sharkint5.JPG
Don't knock this type of seat till you've run in them for a while they are WAY comfy and absorb a ton when you're in the rough stuff
Cheers
p.s. if the seat fits your body well there doesn't need to be a ton of padding. I'd ride in that seat over a typical lakeboat interior seat anyday

wright27
10-18-2006, 07:17 AM
Seats look fine to me. I guess if you're boat isn't that fast you don't need to be comfortable .....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3722Sharkint5.JPG
Don't knock this type of seat till you've run in them for a while they are WAY comfy and absorb a ton when you're in the rough stuff
Cheers
p.s. if the seat fits your body well there doesn't need to be a ton of padding. I'd ride in that seat over a typical lakeboat interior seat anyday
Sure, but what size boat do you have? An 18 footer will beat the shit out of you. Not knocking the seats just wonder how your ass and back will feel at the end of the day, in a 18 ft boat that is.

Dominator Scott
10-18-2006, 07:38 AM
Just curious how much padding is in those seats. I have had similar seats in some old cars I have had and the were not to soft for the bumbs.
The padding is only about an inch thick but the way the seat is molded it feels like your sucked into it so your not sliding around much. My father is considerably smaller than I am and has back problems so I wanted something to support his upper back and sit up off the floor a little.
He lives on a secluded private lake so snotty water and excessive boat wakes aren't an issue. The biggest problem I saw him having in the past was sitting down in the seat and getting back up,the seat backs were so low that you really couldn't grab a hold of them to help set yourself down or get back in a semi upright position. The original interior rotted away years ago so he put in a cheap pair of flip up bass boat seats which just sucked. :yuk:
Both of these seats with covers and mounting hardware were only $200.00 for the set. If some nows where I can find a decent set of boat seats for that kind of $$$$$ I would sure like to see them. :rolleyes: Everything I found was $225+ each and looked like chit. :yuk:

460 jus getn it
10-18-2006, 07:59 AM
Jet hot um, you will be much happier........................................... .......

Dominator Scott
10-18-2006, 08:13 AM
Jet hot um, you will be much happier........................................... .......
I will probably have the headers jet coated later this winter. Right now I am trying to get her finished for my father so I can present it to him in about 3-4 weeks. :rollside: She is almost ready now,I just need to get the droop snoot and she will be about set to go. :rollside:

wright27
10-18-2006, 08:21 AM
The padding is only about an inch thick but the way the seat is molded it feels like your sucked into it so your not sliding around much. My father is considerably smaller than I am and has back problems so I wanted something to support his upper back and sit up off the floor a little.
He lives on a secluded private lake so snotty water and excessive boat wakes aren't an issue. The biggest problem I saw him having in the past was sitting down in the seat and getting back up,the seat backs were so low that you really couldn't grab a hold of them to help set yourself down or get back in a semi upright position. The original interior rotted away years ago so he put in a cheap pair of flip up bass boat seats which just sucked. :yuk:
Both of these seats with covers and mounting hardware were only $200.00 for the set. If some nows where I can find a decent set of boat seats for that kind of $$$$$ I would sure like to see them. :rolleyes: Everything I found was $225+ each and looked like chit. :yuk:
I built the frames (two buckets and a rear bench) for my boat. Cost me 115 dollars in materials. Then I paid a upolstery guy 500 to cover them with new foam. I think you seats are great I was just wondering about the padding that is all. Sounds like they will work great for your dad. You did a awesome job on the boat. Your dad is very lucky to have you as a son.

Dominator Scott
10-18-2006, 08:30 AM
I built the frames (two buckets and a rear bench) for my boat. Cost me 115 dollars in materials. Then I paid a upolstery guy 500 to cover them with new foam. I think you seats are great I was just wondering about the padding that is all. Sounds like they will work great for your dad. You did a awesome job on the boat. Your dad is very lucky to have you as a son.
I know what you mean. I had to build the rear seat from scratch also. :rolleyes:

beerjet
10-18-2006, 08:41 AM
I wanted kind of the same thing as far no wood and something that would be easy to remove . $250 just for uphostery on each seat and the fiber glass shell is $100 each.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/beerjet/interior003.jpg
-beerjet-

beerjet
10-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Boat came out killer BTW . I'm jealous .
-beerjet-

eek-a-RAT
10-18-2006, 08:51 AM
glad you found some decent headers!
now, where do i find this SIMICHROME at?
i have the same bluing on my headers.
i let my pops try & adjust the water injection
or should i say lack of water.
i always thought it was permanant.

Dominator Scott
10-18-2006, 09:10 AM
I got it from my local Harley Davidson shop. :rollside:

Dominator Scott
10-18-2006, 09:42 AM
I wanted kind of the same thing as far no wood and something that would be easy to remove . $250 just for uphostery on each seat and the fiber glass shell is $100 each.
-beerjet-
Thats the kind of seats I wanted to go with but you made my point. $700.00 :cry: That is a ton of cash for what you get. Don't get me wrong they look awesome but with everything I had to do to this boat that kind of $$$$ for seats wasn't an option in my opinion.

Devilman
10-18-2006, 09:57 AM
Some parts place have it, around here. And the bike shops around here keep it as well..... Supposed to be some other stuff works pretty decent, guy posted pics of the headers before & after. I searched around last night, but could never find it. When I do, I'll post it for ya.....

Xerophobic
10-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Sure, but what size boat do you have? An 18 footer will beat the shit out of you. Not knocking the seats just wonder how your ass and back will feel at the end of the day, in a 18 ft boat that is.
I run a 21 tunnel but I guarantee you till you have tried that style seat you won't get how comfortable they can be. Its got nothing to do with being gheto or red neck, they work!
I have video of running my 21 in rough stuff I doubt most glass boats would even go out in and you simply do not get the isolated 'point' type impacts you do with regular seats. The hits tend to be far better distributed over your body and I have not once ever gotten out of my boat sore. i can't say the same for my old hull which is far closer to whats the norm down there. (it was an 18' california style lake boat with typical front/back once peice "lowback seats) Remeber often after weekends boating in that feeling brused below the shoulderblades from the low backs. I'll never run them again
Just a preference but I'd encourage anyone to try em before ya knock how they look
Cheers

eek-a-RAT
10-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Some parts place have it, around here. And the bike shops around here keep it as well..... Supposed to be some other stuff works pretty decent, guy posted pics of the headers before & after. I searched around last night, but could never find it. When I do, I'll post it for ya.....
thanks devilman & dominatorscott!
the thing that bites me badly was my headers only had @ 10hrs new on them.

Dominator Scott
10-18-2006, 11:54 AM
God knows how long that blue tint was on my headers. At least 8 years and they almost looked like the barrell of a rifle. The Semichrome worked wonders on them so with your headers being so new,you should have good luck with it. Best results will be with a high speed polishing wheel and just take your time. After your finished the polishing wheel hit them again by hand and your set.
Oh the polishing wheel is easier to work with if the header is off the engine. :rollside:

daddy b
10-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Napa carries semichrome.

1968Droptop
10-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Only tow kinds of headers, NEW ones and BLUE ones.

1968Droptop
10-18-2006, 03:15 PM
-beerjet-
Beerjet, did you get your seats fixed after the 'incident' ????

eek-a-RAT
10-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Only two kinds of headers, NEW ones and BLUE ones.(sp)corrected
now thats funny!

beerjet
10-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Beerjet, did you get your seats fixed after the 'incident' ????
I had two more shells in stock so I had the damaged one fixed and the other two upholstered soooo.....yes . And the boat is now a four seater. The ass part of the of the seats are removeable so I now have an extra one as a result of the "accident" .
-beerjet-

1968Droptop
10-19-2006, 03:03 PM
I had two more shells in stock so I had the damaged one fixed and the other two upholstered soooo.....yes . And the boat is now a four seater. The ass part of the of the seats are removeable so I now have an extra one as a result of the "accident" .
-beerjet-
COOL !!!!! Sounds like it worked out for the better anyway. Just sucks you had to go through it......

UltraClean
10-19-2006, 03:41 PM
sooooo are they on yet??

Dominator Scott
10-20-2006, 05:57 AM
sooooo are they on yet??
Yup. Finished it up last night.
I will post some pics in a little while. :rollside: