PDA

View Full Version : Life Insurance

MRSDRMCAT
10-19-2006, 02:48 AM
Looking to get life insurance for me and my husband. Just looking to get different ideas on plans and premiums. Thanks

RP2
10-19-2006, 03:57 AM
There are a lot of choices out there. I would suggest getting "term" and make it last until the time your kids are out of college or you retire. This way, the survivors are covered for the time it takes to get everybody established in life. The sooner you do it, the better your rates will be.

ChumpChange
10-19-2006, 06:45 AM
Just finished doing the shopping as well. There are a lot of different options out there from Term to VOL. It all depends on the financial position you are in at this time and what you want to do with it. If you want to know what I found out, you can always PM me and we can talk about it. I just went through the pain of shopping, why make two of us.

slink
10-19-2006, 07:18 AM
My work provides decent life insurance but I recently upgraded with a second policy from Beneficial Life. 500k on me w/ a 300k writer on the Mrs. 20yr term (the kids will be grown and on their own) Both late 30's, decent health, non-smokers $220 per Qtr

C-2
10-19-2006, 07:27 AM
I'm also searching and can say this - get the longest policy possible. When I was 25, I was like...40 - that's so far off. Well, now I'm there and the policies are much more expensive.
I carry a lot of insurance thru State Farm and almost fell over at their quotes - 3 times more expensive than most companies you can find at www.insure.com.. I'm going to stick witha term policy from one of the companies which specialize in life.

OCMerrill
10-19-2006, 07:32 AM
We have Primerica (sp?) $500k on both the wife and I. This is a stand alone policy as were self employed.
22 year - Term. (Two additional years for the 20 year rate so I took it)
$158 mo. for the both of us.
The goal here is same as posted above. We have small kids... and this policy takes us into our low 60's so I sure hope were in good enough $$$ shape by then.

All-Star
10-19-2006, 07:49 AM
Through my research (in my opinion) I have found that the best way to go would be Term.
But most agents will really push the others (Whole life, Universal Life and Variable Universal Life, Equity Index). These sound good such as "You can build cash value and borrow against it if you needed to". Great, killing to birds with one stone, NOT! Because in the first 1-3 years you earn nothing, it is all going to the Agents commission. Plus the cash value would only be about 2-4% rate of return. But inflation is 4%. And then if you borrow against it they will charge you 6-8% to borrow your own money. So now it is costing you more then it is benefiting you.
If you go with Term, your main reason would be to cover the survivors, right?
Term is cheeper, it gets the job done. With the money that you save you can invest it in a mutual fund like I did.
I have a great Agent if you want, PM me and I can give you his info.
I had a ton of insurance on the husband and myself, because that is what an agent told me I needed in order to cover my survivors. But this new agent reviewed everything, educated me on a few things and then turned it into an investment for us. I was used to paying a certian amount each moneth so we cut it in half and then started paying the balance towards a Mutual fund.
My family is covered plus I am saving money per month and investing all at once for the less then what I was paying before.
It turned out to be win, win for us.
Oh and just make sure that you aare with a great company. From what I have found out, there are a bunch of loop holes that companies have. So beware.
I hope this helps.

burtandnancy
10-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Get a good agent, it won't cost you any more. Ask about second to die. There are lots of tax situations to be considered...

River918
10-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Linette,
Just let me know when Dean's policy is in effect and I'll take care of things for you for half the pay-off... :) :)

MBlaster
10-19-2006, 06:18 PM
I got a real nice 20 yr term deal through AAA Life.

Phat Matt
10-19-2006, 06:34 PM
I would be afraid to get a big policy on myself because I know Jen would take my ass out. :crossx:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
10-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Talk to Eric Lopez...
He is Risky Business here on ***boat.....
He will help you out....
Later,
CJG
:)

Throttle
10-19-2006, 07:28 PM
first of all, I would have to have a life to insure...

bigq
10-19-2006, 07:45 PM
We have Primerica (sp?) $500k on both the wife and I. This is a stand alone policy as were self employed.
22 year - Term. (Two additional years for the 20 year rate so I took it)
$158 mo. for the both of us.
The goal here is same as posted above. We have small kids... and this policy takes us into our low 60's so I sure hope were in good enough $$$ shape by then.
Is part of that being invested or is that just the cost of the insuarnce?

CornWater
10-19-2006, 07:52 PM
I would be afraid to get a big policy on myself because I know Jen would take my ass out. :crossx:
Shit..... for the right amount, I'll help her...
:) :)

MarkyMark
10-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Listen to Chris... I signed a 30 yr policy for me and the wife yesterday with Eric. He does have great rates for Hot Boaters...

MRSDRMCAT
10-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks for all the info......much appreciated!!

HMF'er
10-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Ours is through Primerica. Its called an increasing benefit rider, which means the payout goes up every year to adjust for inflation or something like that. The premium only goes up a few dollars a year.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-20-2006, 08:27 PM
I got a real nice 20 yr term deal through AAA Life.
Yea, always the best place to start.

TCN
10-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Linette, Kris and I have 800K ea. with State Farm and it costs about 140.00 per month I think. Maybe a little less but right in there. It is a 20 year policy and we have been very happy with their services. Nick

C-2
10-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Linette, Kris and I have 800K ea. with State Farm and it costs about 140.00 per month I think. Maybe a little less but right in there. It is a 20 year policy and we have been very happy with their services. Nick
That's a pretty good rate.
I'm staring at a quote from State Farm for $500K/20 years/Non-tobacco for $179 mo. for both of us. 38/40 years old, $1mil insurance with State Farm, no violations, no accidents or claims ever.
And that's still about $1200 per year overpriced for me.
I'm gonna sit down next week and hash it out. I had $500K policies with Zurich for $600 a year - but the term expired (15 years). Once again, proof enough to get it now for as long as you can.
And I'm really disappointed with State Farm rates.

Lightning
10-20-2006, 09:07 PM
If anyone needs a life insiurance quote, let me know. I offer coverage through many companies. I can help you sift through all the BS and product pushers out there.

bigq
10-20-2006, 09:13 PM
hmm about a month ago i just got 15 year 500k through Genworth at $21.00 a month. Went through Matrix Direct.

C-2
10-20-2006, 09:30 PM
hmm about a month ago i just got 15 year 500k through Genworth at $21.00 a month. Went through Matrix Direct.
That's what I'm talking about. I was blown away at the rates life insurance companies charge. Even American General, the loan shark company has decent rates.
Again it makes me wonder about State Farm. No accident, claims ever, no reprted tickets 15 years+, and NO DEAL FOR LIFE. :mad:

TCN
10-21-2006, 03:18 PM
That's a pretty good rate.
I'm staring at a quote from State Farm for $500K/20 years/Non-tobacco for $179 mo. for both of us. 38/40 years old, $1mil insurance with State Farm, no violations, no accidents or claims ever.
And that's still about $1200 per year overpriced for me.
I'm gonna sit down next week and hash it out. I had $500K policies with Zurich for $600 a year - but the term expired (15 years). Once again, proof enough to get it now for as long as you can.
And I'm really disappointed with State Farm rates.
It is a very good rate. We are 36/30 now but got the policy a few years ago. We looked at the 1 mil ea. policy but it was quite a bit more per month and we figured 800K was good enough for now.

blackcloud75
10-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Hey "L-Dog"
He may have some deals through his POA....?
Again..Thank you and the hubby for Last Night.....I'll be over later for the rest of that Tri-Tip :rollside: