RitcheyRch
10-19-2006, 05:58 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/19/stingray.reut/index.html

Tequila-John
10-19-2006, 06:02 AM
Too bad Steve had to die for the news to report this stuff

Old Texan
10-19-2006, 06:16 AM
I'd almost have to see that one first hand to believe it. Down here on the TX Gulfcoast we have stinrays all over in the bays and you have to be very cautious wade fishing. Getting hit in the legs by 'rays is a frequent happening.
I've seen them come out of the water before, but to make it up into a boat? CNN often times is about as reliable as the National Enquirer and this could be one of those times. I call Buulllshit........
Checkout the brother in law in the video....talk about a bad combover. He was probalby trying to place the ray over his bald head when it slipped and nailed his brother in law, the real story. :rolleyes:

CARLSON-JET
10-19-2006, 06:18 AM
Two people with a special place in their heart for stingrays... this is getting out of control.

Back Forty
10-19-2006, 06:34 AM
I never heard anything on the local news. I can't even imagine that a sting ray would be able to come out of the water so fast as to be able to fly up high enough to do something like that... Sounds like Reuters is spinning for a story.
We have them over on this side of the gulf. They're about as common as a sh*tgull but one stays above the water line and the other below...
Now on the other hand if you caught one of the bastards while fishing and things got sloppy as you tried to get it onto the boat, I could see how somebody could get hit.
Leaping stingrays = leaping ham sandwiches... :crossx:

Trailer Park Casanova
10-19-2006, 07:31 AM
I'd almost have to see that one first hand to believe it. Down here on the TX Gulfcoast we have stinrays all over in the bays and you have to be very cautious wade fishing. Getting hit in the legs by 'rays is a frequent happening.
I've seen them come out of the water before, but to make it up into a boat? CNN often times is about as reliable as the National Enquirer and this could be one of those times. I call Buulllshit........
Checkout the brother in law in the video....talk about a bad combover. He was probalby trying to place the ray over his bald head when it slipped and nailed his brother in law, the real story. :rolleyes:
Yea,, I have to agree.
Ya can boat by and into huge schools of them near the surface,, and the guy may have been in a very low free board boat like the little whalers.
Then,,,,
Long shot that the ray jumped him. Rays are usually pretty slow, confident, and easy going,,, but I would venture he probably may have hooked it and reeled it aboard to cut it up for bait.
Very common to do that.
I think the story reads what the news media hopes & wants to happen,, like the Alligators eating the passengers of the de-railed Amtrack train a while back.
Remember that BS too?
The guy will be on Larry King next month.

MsDrmr
10-19-2006, 07:38 AM
scientific experiments....sting rays and steroids = now they can fly :rolleyes:

SHOTKALLIN
10-19-2006, 07:44 AM
maybe this dude was leaning over the side of the boat and CNN just exagerated (sp) it a bit.

Ziggy
10-19-2006, 07:56 AM
Yea,, I have to agree.
Ya can boat by and into huge schools of them near the surface,, and the guy may have been in a very low free board boat like the little whalers.
Then,,,,
Long shot that the ray jumped him. Rays are pretty slow, confident, and easy going,,, but I would venture he probably may have hooked it and reeled it aboard to cut it up for bait.
Very common to do that.
I think the story reads what the news media hopes & wants to happen,, like the Alligators eating the passengers of the de-railed Amtrack train a while back.
Remember that BS too?
The guy will be on Larry King next month.
I wouldn't exactly say they are slow..........I just swam and fed these creatures a few weeks ago. Yeah they leasurely swim about but I also watched them scurry off with blazing speed that would make any drag racer jealous. I could visualize one leaping with a little run.
That being said, I'd have to agree that its more likely this man agrevated the ray somehow.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-19-2006, 08:06 AM
I wouldn't exactly say they are slow..........I just swam and fed these creatures a few weeks ago. Yeah they leasurely swim about but I also watched them scurry off with blazing speed that would make any drag racer jealous. I could visualize one leaping with a little run.
That being said, I'd have to agree that its more likely this man agrevated the ray somehow.
We have stingless smaller rays out here.
I'm assuming he was dealing with the big tropical sting rays, that when Ive been around them growing up in FLA usually are pretty docile.
But yaa, I concurr the can move pretty quick, even the big ones.
But jumping in the boat,, naaaa,,,

Ziggy
10-19-2006, 08:14 AM
We have stingless smaller rays out here.
I'm assuming he was dealing with the big tropical sting rays, that when Ive been around them growing up in FLA usually are pretty docile.
But yaa, I concurr the can move pretty quick, even the big ones.
Thats what I'm talking about too.....I swam with the South Atlantic Stingrays in the Carribean.
The females are the large ones, males don't grow much more than a foot, foot and a half wide. The females we encountered were probably close to 5 foot wide or so.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/211Happy_Snaps_Stock_004-med.jpg

Back Forty
10-19-2006, 09:09 AM
I just heard on the radio that the guy picked up the stingray to throw it back into the water when he "got it."
Thanks for the spin Reuters! :mix: