PDA

View Full Version : The weather finally provoked me

SmokinLowriderSS
10-19-2006, 07:06 AM
into making chili, the first batch of the season. :) It's 37*F this AM.
Now gotta wait for 7PM dinner while the house just REEKS of great chili bubbling along. :cry: :cry:
2 lb ground meat (I prefer Venison)
1 lb hot sausage
1 small bottle Heinz 57 or A-1 steak sauce
2 cans (or 1 large) Ro-Tel tomatos with green chilis (or 1 large can crushed tomatos)
2 cans (or 1 large) tomato sauce
1 bottle, dark, bock-style beer ( I like Shiner Bock or Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager (Amber Bock is OK too))
2 cans chopped mushrooms
1 large red onion, chopped and fried
3 to 5 cloves diced garlic, fried
3 cans Ranch Style pinto beans with sliced Jalapeno chilis
1/3 cup chili powder
1 Tablespoon each .... Cumin, Coriander, Oregano
1/2 Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 additional fresh Jalepeno pepper, ends cut off, halved,
and seeded (similar to a bay leaf in function)
Brown meat, drain
Brown Sausage, drain
Return meats to skillet, add steak sauce, saute to cook in,
put in crock pot
Brown onions, mushrooms, and garlic, add to pot
Add all other ingredients to crock pot (fills a 6-qt near the rim)
Cook at least 8 hours to allow spices to blend
If too thick, add beer
If too thin, thicken with a mesa-flour and water paste (don't use too much, is best to cook down to thicken)

RitcheyRch
10-19-2006, 07:07 AM
Yummy.

Tequila-John
10-19-2006, 07:07 AM
I love chili bud. FRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Mrs.Racer277
10-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Sounds Yummy. Perfect weather for chili :)

Hardly Satisfied
10-19-2006, 07:12 AM
that sounds good

a catered life
10-19-2006, 07:14 AM
i agree it was 47 this morning...had to go back in for a RAIDERS beanie :p chili sounds like a winner

Devil's Advocate
10-19-2006, 07:15 AM
Sounds good. May have to try that.

Flyinbowtie
10-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Does sound good, indeed.
Cindy made her first batch of the year last week.
Nothing like chili and fresh, hot cornbread on a cold evening.
Apparently, word leaked to the #1 son in Reno, and her made a stealth trip down to snag the leftovers the next day when nobody was home guarding it.
I was lettting it ferment in the fridge for a couple of days, and was then going to pour the stuff onto a hunk of BBQ tri-tip.
Dammit.
Gonna hafta changes the locks, I guess. Nobody can keep a friggin' secret around here for more than five frigging minutes.

ChumpChange
10-19-2006, 03:45 PM
i agree it was 47 this morning...had to go back in for a RAIDERS beanie :p chili sounds like a winner
chili sounds like a winner.......UNLIKE THE RAIDERS!!!! :rollside:

INSman
10-19-2006, 03:52 PM
I'll take 5 lbs. please :)

Debbolas
10-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Yum, sounds good.....I'm making Chili next week:D
Have you ever made it with chunks of meat instead of ground meat?

BajaMike
10-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Never heard of mushrooms in Chili, but it sounds good. :idea:
The Ro*tel tomatoes really make it.....they are spicey and good. We used to make a cheesy dip for tortilla chips with Rotel tomatoes which we learned in New Orleans. Take a pound or two of Velveeta cheese, cube it up in a bowl, add 1 can of partially drained Ro*tel tomatoes, and microwave or double boil it until warm and creamy.
Dip in while hot with the chips.....yummy, and low fat :D
http://www.texmex.net/Graphics/rotellogo.gif
:rollside: :) :rollside: :)
http://www.texmex.net/Graphics/rotel.gif

SmokinLowriderSS
10-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Never heard of mushrooms in Chili, but it sounds good.
The Ro*tel tomatoes really make it.....they are spicey and good. We used to make a cheesy dip for tortilla chips with Rotel tomatoes which we learned in New Orleans. Take a pound or two of Velveeta cheese, cube it up in a bowl, add 1 can of partially drained Ro*tel tomatoes, and microwave or double boil it until warm and creamy.
Dip in while hot with the chips.....yummy, and low fat
Beware those "extra Hot" ones. i opened a couple cans for a batch once, and the habanero fumes started peeling the stain off of the cabinet doors above the pot. :eek:
The mushrooms make more of a "texture" thing but don't really alter the flavor much.
We like to add ground beef and Pace Chipotle Salsa to your cheese dip above. Oh, and we start with Mexican Velveta. Yes, damn yummmmyyy. :)
Feel free to try my recipe, that's why I posted it. I spent about 4 yrs "perfecting" it back in the late '90's. :) I think it's really good, and so does anyone who has had it. :)

Old Texan
10-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Never heard of mushrooms in Chili, but it sounds good. :idea:
Dip in while hot with the chips.....yummy, and low fat :D
:rollside: :) :rollside: :)
Add some sausage or Chorizo to the cheese dip if you want to really do it. :cool:
Eliminates the low fat part though...... :cry:

deltaAce
10-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Thanks for sharing the recipe, looks good, I'll try some.
I remember Carol Shelby used to market a chilli recipe,
it came in a brown sack with the recipe on it.

BajaMike
10-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Add some sausage or Chorizo to the cheese dip if you want to really do it. :cool:
Eliminates the low fat part though...... :cry:
I was joking about the low fat thing......there is nothing with Velveeta in it thats even close to low fat..... :skull: :mad:

SmokinLowriderSS
10-20-2006, 04:46 AM
I was joking about the low fat thing......there is nothing with Velveeta in it thats even close to low fat..... :skull: :mad:
That's some truth right there!
I've had Carol Shelby's, although, something called "6-gun chili" came in the same sack ...... Both good.
I grew up on another prepared seasoning setup that was similar "2-alarm chili" in king of a cardboard flat wrapped in celophane. Good stuff, there's my basic chili style. It's really the same as the other 2 IMO. :)

Washed Ashore
10-27-2006, 07:02 AM
Well I tried your recipe,I have to be honest it has some really funky flavors,the cinnamon stick and the A-1 ruin it.If you like classic "RANCH STYLE"chile this recipe is not for you.My wife can whip up a batch in 30 minutes that taste better,We thru 5 quarts away.I normaly make my kids eat what is made,not last nite.The corn bread was good though.
Jeff

THATJEFFGUY
10-27-2006, 07:56 AM
As a judge for the International Chili Society for many years, I've obviously tasted my share of chili concoctions..some bad, some worse ! A couple pointers...less tomato sauce, more cumin, and NO beans !! Here's a pretty basic recipe for a true "Bowl of Red".
3 lbs Tri-tip cut in 1/4" cubes
1 cup Onion very finely ground
5 cloves Garlic very finely ground
2 Ortega Chili Peppers
2 cans Chicken Broth
1 can Tomato Sauce
10 Tbsp Chili Powder..yes 10 !
2 Tbsp Cumin
1 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Hot New Mexico Chili Powder
Sautee meat in 1 tsp Wesson oil
Drain and set aside
In a large pot, simmer for 1 hour....
2 cans Chicken Broth
1 can Tomato Sauce
Garlic
Onion
Chili peppers
Salt
All chili powders and cumin
Add meat and simmer for another hour..salt to taste

SmokinLowriderSS
10-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Well I tried your recipe,I have to be honest it has some really funky flavors,the cinnamon stick and the A-1 ruin it.If you like classic "RANCH STYLE"chile this recipe is not for you.My wife can whip up a batch in 30 minutes that taste better,We thru 5 quarts away.I normaly make my kids eat what is made,not last nite.The corn bread was good though.
Jeff
Sorry to hear, to each their own.
I have never made it with A-1 as I think the sharper, less sweet tang of the Heinz-57 is a better fit.

BajaMike
10-27-2006, 02:59 PM
As a judge for the International Chili Society for many years, I've obviously tasted my share of chili concoctions..some bad, some worse ! A couple pointers...less tomato sauce, more cumin, and NO beans !! Here's a pretty basic recipe for a true "Bowl of Red".
3 lbs Tri-tip cut in 1/4" cubes
1 cup Onion very finely ground
5 cloves Garlic very finely ground
2 Ortega Chili Peppers
2 cans Chicken Broth
1 can Tomato Sauce
10 Tbsp Chili Powder..yes 10 !
2 Tbsp Cumin
1 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Hot New Mexico Chili Powder
Sautee meat in 1 tsp Wesson oil
Drain and set aside
In a large pot, simmer for 1 hour....
2 cans tomato sauce
Garlic
Onion
Chili peppers
Salt
All chili powders and cumin
Add meat and simmer for another hour..salt to taste
:cool:
He said "more cumin".....he he :rollside:
Sounds good tho.. :idea: ...except, you say one can of tomato sauce up above and 2 cans down below in "simmer 1 hour".
Which one is it?:confused:
:cool:

THATJEFFGUY
10-29-2006, 03:54 PM
Oops sorry..it was late. Now try the recipe !