PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Question

River Diva
10-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Well I did it...I bought my very first boat! I bought a Spectra 20. :)
Now for the fun stuff...any suggestions on insurance carriers that will fully cover a 27 year old boat?
Stacy

River Diva
10-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Congrats Stacy, Irma and I use Mrs. HLB from the boards, she's with State Farm, her number is 714-777-8000...
So lets see some pics of the new ride... :)
Thanks Barry...I'll give her a call.
I don't ever post pictures so I'm not sure if this will work. But here are a couple pics.

Jbb
10-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Bubbles Sr...... :p

River Diva
10-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Bubbles Sr...... :p
I think I've got a better name in mind....

River Diva
10-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Very Nice boat, that will be awesome for you guys at Parker... Congrats to you on your first boat. Any details on power and what not? Dave said he might buy his first JetBoat. :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18920
It's got a small block in it...for now :)
I doubt Dave will be buying a jet boat....I think he was pulling your leg.

djunkie
10-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Now for the fun stuff...any suggestions on insurance carriers that will fully cover a 27 year old boat?
Stacy
Your boat? Now thats funny. :crossx: :crossx:

River Diva
10-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Your boat? Now thats funny. :crossx: :crossx:
Wait till it gets painted pink and see if anyone tries to steal it!

eliminatedsprinter
10-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Stacy
Congrats. :D
Progressive gave me a good policy for a good price. :)

djunkie
10-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Wait till it gets painted pink and see if anyone tries to steal it!
I'm sure Dave won't care. :crossx:

Cole Trickle
10-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Congrats you two!!
A small block powered V Drive??? :idea:

RitcheyRch
10-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Congrats and try AAA.

Mrs.HLB
10-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks Barry...I'll give her a call.
I don't ever post pictures so I'm not sure if this will work. But here are a couple pics.
Thanks Barry! Give me a call when you get a chance to see what we can do for ya.. Congrats on the boat! Very nice!
Mrs.HLB

andy01
10-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Congrats! Nice looking boat. i can't help you out on insurance, I would post in the just jets area also and see who those guys are using.
Congrats again, good choice.
Andy

superdave013
10-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Congrats you two!!
I'm thinkin this one has an I/O. Could be wrong though.
Stacy, nice classic you have there!

River Diva
10-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Congrats you two!!
It's an I/O

River Diva
10-19-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm thinkin this one has an I/O. Could be wrong though.
Stacy, nice classic you have there!
Thanks, I'm so excited about it! I gave up shopping for 3 months to buy it. I need to find a mall fast!

RiverDave
10-19-2006, 01:44 PM
It's a small block I/O Merc 260 package. :)
I'm very proud of my girl. :)
And instead of the daddy's boat jokes... Now we get to flip it up to "Your chicks boat" Jokes. :D
RD

Nord
10-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Hi Stacy!!!!

VanDeano
10-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Make sure you get insurance for a set value not blue book and it shouldn't cost you anymore. I have a boat that is almost 20 yrs. old and I have it insured for 25k so if something ever should happen I will get 25k for it and not 4k like the blue book has it valued at. It it will always stay at 25k no matter how many years go by.

River Diva
10-19-2006, 01:56 PM
And instead of the daddy's boat jokes... Now we get to flip it up to "Your chicks boat" Jokes. :D
RD
Thanks baby....

Cole Trickle
10-19-2006, 01:57 PM
RD
Whats her plans with the boat?;) :crossx:

dicudmore
congrats on the new ride Stacy and Dave :cool:

River Diva
Make sure you get insurance for a set value not blue book and it shouldn't cost you anymore. I have a boat that is almost 20 yrs. old and I have it insured for 25k so if something ever should happen I will get 25k for it and not 4k like the blue book has it valued at. It it will always stay at 25k no matter how many years go by.
So it doesn't matter what the value is? I just pull a number out of my a**?

RiverDave
10-19-2006, 01:59 PM
So it doesn't matter what the value is? I just pull a number out of my a**?
What you think it's worth. It will be an "agreed value" but the higher the # you pull out of your ass the more it's gonna cost. Honestly I'd say insure it for not very much at the beginning.. Or at all for the winter anyways.. LOL
Turns out if we sink it, we can just come on here and ask for donations.. Then never give them back or try to get the boat back. If we make enough I know where this cool jetboat is up at Piru.. Got GPS coordinates and everything. :D
RD <--- I'm already looking into it for you Stacy. ;)

RiverDave
10-19-2006, 02:11 PM
More names and #'s of insurance agencies would help though if people want to put them up. :)
She's checking AAA
I'm checking with Allstate right now
Going to check Mercury
What other companies would y'all recomend?
Some of these guys raping the big cat guys over the coals probably have enough in the coughers to discount an old Spectra.. :D
RD

djunkie
10-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Drinking beer and smoking cigs doesn't count as looking into it for her Dave. :crossx: :crossx:

djunkie
10-19-2006, 02:13 PM
More names and #'s of insurance agencies would help though if people want to put them up. :)
She's checking AAA
Going to check Mercury
Some of these guys raping the big cat guys over the coals probably have enough in the coughers to discount an old Spectra.. :D
RD
RD I have my Howard insured through AAA. As long as its got a engine hatch they should be able to take care of you. My boats an '89 and its insured for more than what I paid for it. Costs me less than $200 a year too.

RiverDave
10-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Drinking beer and smoking cigs doesn't count as looking into it for her Dave. :crossx: :crossx:
Very true... But calling your buddies in the boating industry that have been doing this kinda stuff for years has gotta count for something right? :D
Who are you using for insurance Dave?
RD

Cole Trickle
10-19-2006, 02:16 PM
She's checking AAA
Going to check Mercury
RD
FYI Mercury dosen't do boats :)

superdave013
10-19-2006, 02:17 PM
RD
So this makes you Stacy's boat bitch then right. :D
I'm with AAA for 16K replacement. 14K on the boat and 2K on the trailer. Mine's around 350 bones a year. I kinda hate to pay for it when it just sits but I don't want them to take more pics of it so I just pay it.

voodoomedman
She's checking AAA
Going to check Mercury
RD
Don't bother with Mercury. They do not do boats. Only houses and cars within California.
Check Progressive online. If you go through a broker with them the price goes way up so they can pay the comissions.

River Diva
What you think it's worth. It will be an "agreed value" but the higher the # you pull out of your ass the more it's gonna cost. Honestly I'd say insure it for not very much at the beginning.. Or at all for the winter anyways.. LOL
Turns out if we sink it, we can just come on here and ask for donations.. Then never give them back or try to get the boat back. If we make enough I know where this cool jetboat is up at Piru.. Got GPS coordinates and everything. :D
But if I'm telling them a value now...I can't change it down the road...can I?
And I don't want a jet boat...he can keep it.

RiverDave
I thought they did? Or atleast used too? I'm pretty sure Stacy got some ridiculous quote from AIS that was from mercury?
RD

RiverDave
10-19-2006, 02:19 PM
But if I'm telling them a value now...I can't change it down the road...can I?
And I don't want a jet boat...he can keep it.
Sure you can... As you improve the boat it's worth more right?
RD

mbrown2
10-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Wait till it gets painted pink
I am not laughing and figure you are serious..:)...my wife would have had a Pink Schiada if one existed....she still wants a pink boat of her own before I buy a Rhino

Cole Trickle
10-19-2006, 02:25 PM
I thought they did? Or atleast used too? I'm pretty sure Stacy got some ridiculous quote from AIS that was from mercury?
RD
AIS is Mercurys biggest agent.
AIS represents a ton of other commpanies so they probably stuck her with someone you have never heard of and let her think it was Mercury.
They know as much about boats as I do about helicopters;)

River Diva
10-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Yeah I know. We have Mercury through AIS. I called AIS and the lowest quote is $650. I got a quote from AAA for $270 a year. That's the best so far.

River Diva
10-19-2006, 02:31 PM
I am not laughing and figure you are serious..:)...my wife would have had a Pink Schiada if one existed....she still wants a pink boat of her own before I buy a Rhino
I'm way more serious than even Dave gives me credit for. The funny thing is going to be when I get the pink trailer made before the boat gets gelled. Might look kinda funny driving around for a bit :rollside:

Cole Trickle
10-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Yeah I know. We have Mercury through AIS. I called AIS and the lowest quote is $650. I got a quote from AAA for $270 a year. That's the best so far.
Let me know when your ready to switch Mercury Agents :)
same policy but I can service it.

djunkie
10-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Nice. A little spam to your friends. :crossx: :crossx:

RiverDave
10-19-2006, 02:34 PM
We are switching in the near future I think... That'd be great to be able to get someone on the phone without sitting on hold for an hour! Not to mention if your office is lagging I can just call you on the cell phone or track you down at the local bar.. :D
RD

River Diva
10-19-2006, 02:35 PM
I definitely will. It will be in Feb when this policy is expired. I absolutely hate working with AIS. They make me crazy with their hold times and retarded workers.

h2oski2fast
10-19-2006, 02:36 PM
I doubt you'll beat $270. I just got my renewal and it was $240, but last year it was $270.

RiverDave
10-19-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm way more serious than even Dave gives me credit for. The funny thing is going to be when I get the pink trailer made before the boat gets gelled. Might look kinda funny driving around for a bit :rollside:
Hey baby I'm all for it.. I told ya that. :) I got not problems getting hardware annodized Pink for ya, or powdercaoted for that matter. Your boat your choices. I'm just here to make sure you dont' get ripped off, you get the bro dog hook up on everything, and excersize all my favors with my friends getting this old tub to become something refined and respectable. :D
RD

Cole Trickle
We are switching in the near future I think... That'd be great to be able to get someone on the phone without sitting on hold for an hour! Not to mention if your office is lagging I can just call you on the cell phone or track you down at the local bar.. :D
RD
Sweet!
I love discussing Insurance after a 30 pack of Coors Lights:D
If your renewal is coming up let me know. I will have you sign a form and mail the renewal payment to me so we can be the new agent.
My cell is always avaliable for friends.

River Diva
I doubt you'll beat $270. I just got my renewal and it was $240, but last year it was $270.
That's what I was thinking too but I figured I'd get a couple more quotes before I commit.

Cole Trickle
10-19-2006, 02:38 PM
I definitely will. It will be in Feb when this policy is expired. I absolutely hate working with AIS. They make me crazy with their hold times and retarded workers.
I hear ya;)
We are a much smaller mom and pop shop. If your on hold for over a minute I" must be using the crapper :crossx:

djunkie
10-19-2006, 02:38 PM
We are switching in the near future I think... That'd be great to be able to get someone on the phone without sitting on hold for an hour! Not to mention if your office is lagging I can just call you on the cell phone or track you down at the local Gay bar.. :D
RD
:jawdrop: :D :D

djunkie
10-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Becareful with AAA, when I was checking for policies they would not cover the boat if someone other then yourself was operating it and there was an accident, that may have changed, I'm just mentioning it so you can ask when they quote you, also at that time they had an exclusion about boating on the Parker strip, again may have changed...
I went through this when I got got insured through them. They had me put who the primary drivers were, but I was told I would be ok if someone else was behind the wheel. Also they told me that Parker and Havasu was ok. I made a big deal about that cause that is where I primarily boat and they swore to me I was ok. I study my policy everytime I renew just to make sure they don't try and sneak it in on me.

River Diva
10-19-2006, 02:51 PM
I went through this when I got got insured through them. They had me put who the primary drivers were, but I was told I would be ok if someone else was behind the wheel. Also they told me that Parker and Havasu was ok. I made a big deal about that cause that is where I primarily boat and they swore to me I was ok. I study my policy everytime I renew just to make sure they don't try and sneak it in on me.
I'll make sure to ask about that when I call them back.

voodoomedman
10-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Just something for you river folk. Mine is through Progressive but you might be able to do this with other companies.
My mailing address is my California home but the zip code of primary use on the boat is 86403 and all the legal policy stuff that comes talks about Arizona. So pretty much I can't be denied a claim for using my boat in Havasu. Which is good because the Colorado river is the only water my boat touches.

River Diva
10-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Just something for you river folk. Mine is through Progressive but you might be able to do this with other companies.
My mailing address is my California home but the zip code of primary use on the boat is 86403 and all the legal policy stuff that comes talks about Arizona. So pretty much I can't be denied a claim for using my boat in Havasu. Which is good because the Colorado river is the only water my boat touches.
I refuse to use progressive. I had a horrible experience in the past with them. But I will keep the primary use info in mind. It'll make more sense being that I'll mostly boat in AZ.

voodoomedman
10-19-2006, 03:42 PM
I refuse to use progressive. I had a horrible experience in the past with them. But I will keep the primary use info in mind. It'll make more sense being that I'll mostly boat in AZ.
Yeah the primary use is a good idea.
Please share your experience?
I'm using them because Mercury doesn't do boats. Plus they only do California. Havasu house is with State Farm.
I haven't had a problem with Progressive and have had to use the roadside service with good results. With that being said I have never wrecked anything so I haven't ever had to file a claim.

Jordy
10-19-2006, 04:06 PM
That's the big problem with older boats. NADA doesn't normally go back that far, and for what they do, they depreiciate the value off the original sales price. So the residual on the boat is $2,000 or less. Many places won't insure a boat over 15 years old. Allstate, because they insure my '00 Spectre will now cover my '78 jet boat. It's a wacky deal. Financing is the same problem. Ran into that a few times trying to sell the 21' Schiada. Pulled a few adds out of the boat trader and set up comps for the credit union the guy who bought it was going through and they finally did the note on it. Good luck!!! :D
Oh, and Progressive will typically write a liability policy on the boat, but nothing for a comprehensive policy, which leaves you holding the bag if something happens to the boat. :(
I see a few photoshop opportunities out of this one, now that Daddy's Toy is gone, and shit. :D :D :D
Nice boat Mrs. RD. :D

Windy
10-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Sweet Stace...cant wait to go for a ride...pink is my favorite color. :p

boatnam2
10-19-2006, 05:28 PM
i heard the sate farm girl in parker is the bomb,was getting around to calling her one of these days.been told by a few people about her and she is in parker so she knows where your boating at.tequilla john has her number.i think she is next to the keys you could walk over lol !im thinking when you get it all painted pink dave should hav a tatoo put on his back of the boat with you in it.

River Diva
10-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Yeah the primary use is a good idea.
Please share your experience?
I'm using them because Mercury doesn't do boats. Plus they only do California. Havasu house is with State Farm.
I haven't had a problem with Progressive and have had to use the roadside service with good results. With that being said I have never wrecked anything so I haven't ever had to file a claim.
I had progressive for a long time. I was involved in a 5 car collision on the 10 freeway while driving to the river. The car that caused the accident was a hit n run. I was the 4th car in the accident and was rear ended and hit another car. I messed up my back pretty bad. Progressive was quick to pay my vehicle expenses, but refused to pay my medical under uninsured motorist. I ended up going through a long lawsuit with them and settled a year later. It was a major inconvenience to say the least.

djunkie
10-20-2006, 09:58 AM
I had progressive for a long time. I was involved in a 5 car collision on the 10 freeway while driving to the river. The car that caused the accident was a hit n run. I was the 4th car in the accident and was rear ended and hit another car. I messed up my back pretty bad. Progressive was quick to pay my vehicle expenses, but refused to pay my medical under uninsured motorist. I ended up going through a long lawsuit with them and settled a year later. It was a major inconvenience to say the least.
That sucks. I know everyone has there opinion on different insurance companies so I will add my .02 on it. I've had AAA for as long as I can remember and they have been awesome. Even when my dads Expedition burnt to the ground and took half the garage with it they were here before the flames were even out. Handed a check over to hold us off and took care of everything else very quickly. Now that was great service.

voodoomedman
10-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks for sharing. It helps in making informed decisions.