PDA

View Full Version : Berk Intake bolt torque....?

HotDogz
10-19-2006, 03:14 PM
How much torque should I use on the intake bolts. (intake install) :confused:
Cannot locate my berk manual PDF. Need help :p

YeLLowBoaT
10-19-2006, 03:36 PM
I want to say its 25 ftlbs and 50 ftlbs on the bowl bolts...
heres a link to a man..
http://www.americanturbine.com/downloads/pdf/oh_manuals/berk_oh_manual.pdf

HotDogz
10-20-2006, 05:58 AM
Thanks YB for the PDF, mine did not have pics.
Have not been able to find any documentation for installing an intake. Least not bolt torque specs.
Onward...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-20-2006, 06:48 AM
I do them like an intake manifold. I start in the midle and work out. Do one right one left and so on. I just snug them up good. Dont forget to use anti sieze............

OverKill
10-20-2006, 06:56 AM
Hey I have the same thing comeing up. There has to be a torque spec for intake and bowl bolts. Anybody have the numbers????

roostwear
10-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Along these lines, does anyone use silicone or some other sealant on the intake gasket, or just dry? I'll be bolting the pump in and I'd hate to have to pull it out again because of a leak.

wright27
10-20-2006, 07:26 AM
Along these lines, does anyone use silicone or some other sealant on the intake gasket, or just dry? I'll be bolting the pump in and I'd hate to have to pull it out again because of a leak.
Jack at MPD did my pump last year. When I picked it up he told me to use a thin bead of gasket sealer. Worked great.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-20-2006, 10:46 AM
You can use a very thin coat if you like. I have used silicone and done them dry. They both have worked for me. No leaks. Just make sure that you recheck after the second lake trip. They will need retightened;)

Moneypitt
10-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Bolt torque is just that, bolt torque. It makes no difference where that bolt is being used, the torque value is based on the size and grade of the bolt. Torque is based on stretch and thread engagment (friction), these numbers can and do change based on any lubricant used. The hi tech main and head studs have instructions with them, as do head stud/bolts. These instructions are based on bolt stretch and tensile strength. Any time there is a question about torque of a particular part/piece of an assembly, the BOLT is the deciding factor. Several suppliers have torque spec sheets based solely on the bolt, the deciding factor in the end...............MP

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Bolt torque is just that, bolt torque. It makes no difference where that bolt is being used, the torque value is based on the size and grade of the bolt. Torque is based on stretch and thread engagment (friction), these numbers can and do change based on any lubricant used. The hi tech main and head studs have instructions with them, as do head stud/bolts. These instructions are based on bolt stretch and tensile strength. Any time there is a question about torque of a particular part/piece of an assembly, the BOLT is the deciding factor. Several suppliers have torque spec sheets based solely on the bolt, the deciding factor in the end...............MP
Damn MP, why you gotta get all technical and schit:p You might loose a few peeps with that:D

OverKill
10-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Well then now I'm informed. Let me rephrase the question. What would you recomend, and give me some damn numbers. Thank you

Moneypitt
10-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Well then now I'm informed. Let me rephrase the question. What would you recomend, and give me some damn numbers. Thank you
Somewhere I have a listing of the various type bolts and the torque reccomended for each. I just looked in the garage through a couple of tool boxes and realized it is at work in that tool box. I imagine that same info is available on the internet, I know ARP web site has the values for THEIR fasteners, but unless you are using ARP bolts those would not apply. I will bring home the list I have on Monday and send you some info IF someone here hasn't already supplied one............MP
Ball Park.....3/8ths-16.......35-40lbs (grd 8 best) (Use at least grd 5), and use steel, not stainless, and antisieze if screwing into aluminum........(so about as tight as you can get them with a box end wrench, no cheater bar).