PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Georgia

Back To Havasu
10-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Well peeps, the wife and I are moving to Georgia. After living here in Cali all our lives, we started visiting Georgia when my wife's daughter and son and their spouses moved there. We loved it, and took the equity from our Corona home and paid cash for a 4,500 sq. ft. home there, ten minutes from a Havasu sized lake in a wooded area. It's a little scary to leave what we know behind, but Acworth, Georgia (45 miles NW of Atlanta) seems like a boater's paradise, (humidity and all). Take care all, and will be lurking on the boards from Georgia from now on, ya'll...BTH.

Jyruiz
10-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Congrats and good luck.

RitcheyRch
10-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Congrats and good luck.

Cheap Thrills
10-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Welcome to the East Side ! You'll like Lake Hartwell/ Jocassee/ Keowee Toxoway. They're all really nice. Not to mention you're just a short drive from the Chickamunga section of theTennessee River In Chattanooga,
C.T. :wink:

Hardly Satisfied
10-20-2006, 01:44 PM
congrats

Jbb
10-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Another Californian on my roads.... :rolleyes: ....lol :p welcome (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4924085173349496686)
Havasu sized lake?.....you must be speaking of Lake Allatoona?....It is a peanut compared to Lake Lanier and Lake Hartwell....Boaters like it here.....and if you have a problem with noisey boats...tuff.. :p
I keep my boats on Allatoona
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860DSCF0044lk.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860DSCF0045lk.JPG
Our lakes are a little more laid back than you are probably used to...thats because we dont tolerate thugs and gang bangers here...they are routinely killed and fed to inmates in our prison system
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860DSCF0035lk.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860DSCF0039lk.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860DSCF0011lk.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860DSCF0006.JPG
Behave yourself........and we might let you stay..... :p

SmokinLowriderSS
10-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Congratulations BTH.

Jyruiz
10-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Congrats and good luck.
Damn echo in here. :D

Debbolas
10-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Congrats!
Looks like beautiful country.....
Another Californian moving out of state....how many does that make this year?

seanv
10-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Well peeps, the wife and I are moving to Georgia. After living here in Cali all our lives, we started visiting Georgia when my wife's daughter and son and their spouses moved there. We loved it, and took the equity from our Corona home and paid cash for a 4,500 sq. ft. home there, ten minutes from a Havasu sized lake in a wooded area. It's a little scary to leave what we know behind, but Acworth, Georgia (45 miles NW of Atlanta) seems like a boater's paradise, (humidity and all). Take care all, and will be lurking on the boards from Georgia from now on, ya'll...BTH.
hittn' lake lanier? a good friend of mine lives in alpharetta which is right by where your going. B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L area for sure. good luck and enjoy the green.

Back To Havasu
10-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words of congrats. Yes, Jbb, I am speaking of Lake Allatoona, and it is the lake that is just minutes from my new home. Oh, and by the way, I love noisy boats, the louder the better. :) :) I'll have to go check out the other lakes everyone mentioned. Sounds awesome not to have 5 hour drives to havi or Vegas, (although I love both havi & mead).

jbtrailerjim
10-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words of congrats. Yes, Jbb, I am speaking of Lake Allatoona, and it is the lake that is just minutes from my new home. Oh, and by the way, I love noisy boats, the louder the better. :) :) I'll have to go check out the other lakes everyone mentioned. Sounds awesome not to have 5 hour drives to havi or Vegas, (although I love both havi & mead).
I'm so fricken jealous of the fact that you have a nice big lake 10 minutes from your house. The 5 hour drive too and from Havi does suck!
Good luck to you and the wife. :)

CHEETAH24
10-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Congrats and good luck..ps. can you take about 10.000 people with ya??

RiverOtter
10-20-2006, 03:24 PM
You'll have to trailer your boat up the Chattanooga. Miles and miles of lakes / river and very few boats. :cool:

cc322
10-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Congrats and please send some peaches :rollside:

Old Texan
10-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Great place to live. We lived on the NE side for 7 years before returning to TX. Really miss Lanier. Lanier's pretty much full pool year round. Lots of coves and islands, deep lake with few obstructions. Great place to go fast....Alatoona is great in the summer. Hartwell, Keowee, Chattanooga, and more easily within couple hours.
Cocktaill Cove at Lanier Islands is the place to be in the summer. Checkout Cocktail Cove.com http://www.cocktailcove.com/
and hook up with "Freddie" the mayor at the Cove. Freddie runs a Miami Vice Scarab duplicate. The "Abyss" is an 80' houseboat with a constant party going on the weekends attracting a "crowd". Cove generally has 500 plus boats on the weekend with plenty of everything.
Good luck and have fun.... :cool:

OCMerrill
10-20-2006, 04:21 PM
If it were me I would stay away from that cove and its website. :yuk: :rollside: J/k...good luck with the move. Your braver than I.
I am sure its not what it looks like......
http://www.cocktailcove.com/modules/coppermine/albums/uploaded/052906/thumb_July0906091.jpg
http://www.cocktailcove.com/modules/coppermine/albums/uploaded/052906/thumb_July0906091.jpg Great place to live. We lived on the NE side for 7 years before returning to TX. Really miss Lanier. Lanier's pretty much full pool year round. Lots of coves and islands, deep lake with few obstructions. Great place to go fast....Alatoona is great in the summer. Hartwell, Keowee, Chattanooga, and more easily within couple hours.
Cocktaill Cove at Lanier Islands is the place to be in the summer. Checkout Cocktail Cove.com http://www.cocktailcove.com/
and hook up with "Freddie" the mayor at the Cove. Freddie runs a Miami Vice Scarab duplicate. The "Abyss" is an 80' houseboat with a constant party going on the weekends attracting a "crowd". Cove generally has 500 plus boats on the weekend with plenty of everything.
Good luck and have fun.... :cool:

shueman
10-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Props to ya.....glad you make it out... :cool:

Some Kind Of Monster
10-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Jocassee, Keowee, Toxoway, Chickamunga, Chattanooga,
I'll stay out west where we can pernounce all our lakes :rollside:

riverroyal
10-20-2006, 06:08 PM
we almost bought on lake allatoona,then lake lanier,I hate to say it,but those lakes make havasu seem silly.Plus 500k get a very nice house on the lake or less than 1 mile away

Cheap Thrills
10-20-2006, 06:13 PM
I'll stay out west where we can pernounce all our lakes :rollside:
Joe~Kass~E if you use the southern pronunciation or Jock ~Ah~See for the native American indian (Cherokee) thats Chair Roe Key ....
Keowee.......Key~Oh~We.......
Toxoway.... Tocks Away
Chickamunga ... Chick~ Uh ~ Mun~ Guh
Chattanooga... Chat.uh noo guh.
Now that you can pronounce them bring your ass on out, Let's go boatin :D

Some Kind Of Monster
10-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Joe~Kass~E if you use the southern pronunciation or Jock ~Ah~See for the native American indian (Cherokee) thats Chair Roe Key ....
Keowee.......Key~Oh~We.......
Toxoway.... Tocks Away
Chickamunga ... Chick~ Uh ~ Mun~ Guh
Chattanooga... Chat.uh noo guh.
Now that you can pronounce them bring your ass on out, Let's go boatin :D
:) I might make it out there one day. I was in Georgia for basic training but I wasn't allowed to leave base often. I make it up to Ohio often to visit family. One of these days I might drag the boat out there for something different :cool:

THOR
10-20-2006, 07:26 PM
plenty of good lakes in the area. Plus you are just a short drive to downtown by peachtree city. Good times there. I lived and went to school at Auburn and know that area fairly well.

Newcastle
10-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Lake Lainier is great. Haven't boated on it but was there last year for my bro's wedding at the resort/hotel. If you golf, its must. Played both courses a total of 3 times. Nowhere here in California do you put on a perfectly manicured green overlooking a stunning lake with deer feet from you just staring. I'd love to move there if it wasn't for this whole job thing.

C-2
10-20-2006, 09:34 PM
We know somebody who did that exact move - from Corona to Georgia about a year and a half ago. They like it, said there kids caught some crap for dressing like gang-bangers (skaters here). They are also getting used to their new "upper-class" status too.
Good lcuk and best wishes :)

Old Texan
10-21-2006, 05:15 AM
Lake Lainier is great. Haven't boated on it but was there last year for my bro's wedding at the resort/hotel. If you golf, its must. Played both courses a total of 3 times. Nowhere here in California do you put on a perfectly manicured green overlooking a stunning lake with deer feet from you just staring. I'd love to move there if it wasn't for this whole job thing.
Cocktail Cove is next to 1 of the courses, Pine Isle. On a dogleg left you hit your drive over a corner of the cove. Lots of pressure when you have a 30 boat raft "cheering" you on. I've seen a couple frustrated hackers hit into the crowd. :crossx:
One Sunday a big blonde Lab swam up and ran off with a golfer's ball. Funny as hell, he jumped back in and headed back to the boat.

lawbreaker2
10-21-2006, 07:02 AM
I have notice alot more california plates on cars up here in ohio this summer. I starting to wonder if they are all moving in, I talked to a guy a few years ago who move here, and with in 6 months, here was gone, went back to cali, could not take the cold here. :rolleyes:

Newcastle
10-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Cocktail Cove is next to 1 of the courses, Pine Isle. On a dogleg left you hit your drive over a corner of the cove. Lots of pressure when you have a 30 boat raft "cheering" you on. I've seen a couple frustrated hackers hit into the crowd. :crossx:
One Sunday a big blonde Lab swam up and ran off with a golfer's ball. Funny as hell, he jumped back in and headed back to the boat.
Yup. PineIsle is it. I think I played that one twice. Awesome course. Had the wedding outside under the awning overlooking the lake. I think it was the 18th...can't remember....was already down a few Kettle/Rockstars

sorry dog
10-22-2006, 02:26 AM
Don't forget to stop by Walmart and buy a bug zapper. The skeeters up by JBBs can drain a pint an hour. Must be all the old tires layin around.

Old Texan
10-22-2006, 07:56 AM
Don't forget to stop by Walmart and buy a bug zapper. The skeeters up by JBBs can drain a pint an hour. Must be all the old tires layin around.
In our time in GA we always got a kick out of how the locals thought they had 'skeeters. Being from the Gulf Coast my stock reply was "I've killed more mosquitos in one swat in Houston than I've killed in 5 years in Atlanta." :p
Lack of bugs was something I really liked about north GA.