PDA

View Full Version : Vizio 32" HD LCD TV any good?

Trailer Park Casanova
10-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Spotted the Vizio LCD 32" for under $700 otd at COSTCO.
Wife wanted me to run it by anyone that knows anything about this unknown-to-us-brand.
The price is right, seemed like a good pic.
We're wired and dialed in for HDTV, so we thought we'd upgrade our bedroom TV.
Hit it or quit it?
Everything else was over $1100 +tax.
Thanks for any info.

Mohave Vice
10-20-2006, 10:08 PM
They're also sold at Sam's. Don't have one. But I have observed a fewr (3 to be exact) of peeps returning back to Sam's.

TRUMP TIGHT
10-20-2006, 10:55 PM
I paid $1300 for a sony wega 42 in. Look around and buy the biggest t.v. for your room and do it before the Super Bowl!

Trailer Park Casanova
10-20-2006, 11:42 PM
I paid $1300 for a sony wega 42 in. Look around and buy the biggest t.v. for your room and do it before the Super Bowl!
We bought the 50" wega for the living room. Nice.
32" is about right for the Bedroom.

BajaMike
10-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Bigger is not always better....(or so I say!! :cry: )....
I got a 32" "Pro"something....I can't remember, I'm at the Nautical Inn, just left the Naked Turtle, but mine was $999. and I love it....great picture.
And the thing about Costco, they have an unlimited return policy. I have kept TVs for 2 or 3 years, returned them for full price, and bought a TV twice as big with the return credit. :rollside: :rollside:
Costco rules!!! I buy all cell phones there, because my son always ****s up his cell phones......for example, leaves his cell phone on the trunk when he washes it, and drives off, or today, he put it through the washing machine (not good!), and Costco replaced it (they should have an exclusion for my son)...... :cry:
Anyway....buy anything at Costco, return it anytime if you are "dissatisfied".....
You don't even need the recept, they can look it up for you!!
I love that place!!!!
:rollside:

BoatPI
10-21-2006, 05:21 AM
I purchased a Vizo 32" for the bedroom. It looks and works fine and I saved hundreds over a Panasonic or Sony. I would buy one again. Go with a Premier mount of u wall mount it. Look at E Bay. A company sells them drop shipped for $75 including shipping as they are now jacked up to $100 at Fry's. No adapter plate is needed for the 32" Vizo.

fasthtm
10-21-2006, 05:27 AM
Vizio is made by Samsung. I got a 50" works great, great picture. I was told that the samsung label goes to Bestbuy and Vizio goes to Costco and Samsclub. Both Costco and Sams club have awesome return polices.

gramps
10-21-2006, 06:11 AM
Wife wanted me to run it by anyone that knows anything about this unknown-to-us-brand.
Hit it or quit it?
Thanks for any info.
Are you on cable, Dish, Direct or what? Vizio has had some "issues" about where/how it gets it signal. Better look into that.

bilgewiper
10-21-2006, 06:20 AM
I bought a Vizio 42" plasma at Costco a year + ago. Figured I could always take it back like mentioned above......but I have been very happy with it. The name Vizio kinda scared me. I'v gotten over that now.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-21-2006, 06:22 AM
Time Warner Cable.
I appreciate all the replies

Trailer Park Casanova
10-21-2006, 06:26 AM
I bought a Vizio 42" plasma at Costco a year + ago. Figured I could always take it back like mentioned above......but I have been very happy with it. The name Vizio kinda scared me. I'v gotten over that now.
I agree.
Up to the $300 threshhold I'll risk a Sux-a-hatchi no name,, but approaching a $grand$ I don't wanna risk buying a Yugo.

bigq
10-21-2006, 07:55 AM
Put one in a place i work at to display fright routes in real time. It runs 24x7 so well see how long it last.
They wanted to do plasma :rolleyes:

BoatFloating
10-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Are you on cable, Dish, Direct or what? Vizio has had some "issues" about where/how it gets it signal. Better look into that.
Vizio changed that. Before you had to have a cable box or sat because they didn't have a built in tuner. They now have built tuners including HD tuner. It also has a HDMI plug too. I have the unit out buy my pool and I think it's awesome. You can't go wrong with it.
One other thing is Vizio was very highly rated by consumer reports. I also read an article why they were so cheap. They wanted to get market share. And according to the article they were the fast celling LCD tv's last year. The kicker is they are sold in limited places. Costco, Sams club and one other place. But Costco is a power house to sell product.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-21-2006, 10:10 AM
That it then, heading out to get it.
Thankx,,

riverroyal
10-21-2006, 11:09 AM
42 plasma,6 months old,its great

Wmc
10-21-2006, 12:25 PM
I have a 50" Vizio Plasma and 32" Vizio LCD and have had them for over a year and they work great. Costco rules!!! :crossx:

Trailer Park Casanova
10-21-2006, 12:29 PM
All installed, any way to get it to program channels above 101?
Can't get another HD cable box until late Thursday.
Nice set,, excellent price, excellent picture.
The area / concert reverb is wild!
I went in to COSTCO yesterday they had about 25 of them, went in this morning only 2 left.
Appreciate all the imput.
And the wife now wants it all the wall,, so it's a premier u mount it.

Perfect Mixer
10-21-2006, 01:05 PM
We bought one about 2 months ago for the bedroom. It works great. It isn't as clear as my 43" Pioneer Elite Plasma that we have in the living room. But it also didn't cost $6K.

Jyruiz
10-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Good set for the bedroom or patio.

Kachina26
10-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Got the Vizio 42" plasma for the havi house in the master, and it seems nice enough. Price was right, made in china for those that care.

Hardly Satisfied
10-21-2006, 07:57 PM
thanks for the info, I think I will head to costco and pick up one

Redwing247
10-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Good set for the bedroom or patio.
Or masterbath... :boxed:

boatsnblondes
10-21-2006, 10:50 PM
I just bought a 62" Mitsubishi for the "man zone" upstairs here, but am getting ready to retire my Sony XBR2 in the master..I looked at these also..and liked them a lot for the price...I'll have one in for my wife for a Xmas present....don't tell!!!!!! :p

New Mexico
10-22-2006, 06:36 AM
I have had the 42" LCD from sams for 4 months, great price, great picture, works fine so far.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-22-2006, 08:40 AM
So far, it auto defaults to back mono, and it has to be menu'd, then put back into Stereo every time ya change channels.
The screen seems to have a brown/yellow hue color adjustments don't correct.
Hummm,, menu doesn't always bring up color adjustments either,,, somtimes si,, sometimes no.
Tuner doesnt go above 101.
Owners manual doesn't address this.
I'm I spoiled by our Sony?

Jyruiz
10-22-2006, 10:18 AM
So far, it auto defaults to back mono, and it has to be menu'd, then put back into Stereo every time ya change channels.
The screen seems to have a brown/yellow hue color adjustments don't correct.
Hummm,, menu doesn't always bring up color adjustments either,,, somtimes si,, sometimes no.
Tuner doesnt go above 101.
Owners manual doesn't address this.
I'm I spoiled by our Sony?
You are going to have to go into the service or designer menu to get rid of the brown/yellow hue.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks I try that.

Sherpa
10-22-2006, 12:57 PM
just noticed a dude returning this same set on wednesday at our local Santa
Clara Costco........ he didn't like the quality/features of it.....
you can now return to your regular scheduled program.... if it's below ch101.
--Sherpa

Hardly Satisfied
10-23-2006, 01:20 AM
Hit it or quit it?
Thanks for any info.
picked up a 46in at costco today

riverracerx
10-23-2006, 09:03 AM
The 46' LCD has a coupon for $200.00 off right now. Sounds like a good deal! I watched it in the store for about 30 minutes and the picture looked great.

TOBTEK
10-23-2006, 09:19 AM
picked up a 46in at costco today
46"...... whata wussy! coulda bought our 50's so we can get the 72" LG plasma's :)

MOBrien
12-30-2006, 05:15 PM
I've got the 32" Vizio LCD in thebedroom and the pic is damn good for the price, but my first test was to throw in Matrix to watch the shooting spree. Picture status showed 540p and seemed a bit grainy.....shouldn't this be higher and screen clarity better on a 1080p HD set through a progressive scan DVD player? Does the screen resolution need to be selected or is it automatically selected? Can't find any way to change screen resolution in the menu......
Any help?

Nord
12-30-2006, 05:24 PM
I am very glad you guys started this thread. I want to purchase one myself but want 1080p since I have a blue ray player. I have Direct TV but don't know if its HD or not. I refuse to pay any more than my current cable bill. I don't have to worry about turning the channel past 101 since I run it through my box.
Any info here??
How much is the 42 before the rebate??
Thanks
~NORD~

Jyruiz
12-30-2006, 05:27 PM
I've got the 32" Vizio LCD in thebedroom and the pic is damn good for the price, but my first test was to throw in Matrix to watch the shooting spree. Picture status showed 540p and seemed a bit grainy.....shouldn't this be higher and screen clarity better on a 1080p HD set through a progressive scan DVD player? Does the screen resolution need to be selected or is it automatically selected? Can't find any way to change screen resolution in the menu......
Any help?
The better the feed, the better the picture quality will get. There are now DVD players that send the signal at 720p/1080i, even 1080p and will improve your picture. You have to remember, a DVD has 480 to 540 lines of resolution, and you are playing it on a TV that has 1080 lines of resolution, so the TV has to more than double those lines somtimes. The best quality DVD's (Superbitss) usually only have 500 lines of resolution, unless you go with an HD/BlueRay player.
You can also try to purchase a calibration DVD and calibrate your display, this will give you a better picture as well. Some THX certified movies have a calibration section on the DVD that will help also. A lot of the grainy effect comes from having the contrast and brightness up too high.
I forgot to add.
Make sure you are using the component/HDMI/DVI output out of the DVD player if it has any of those.

Jyruiz
12-30-2006, 05:30 PM
I am very glad you guys started this thread. I want to purchase one myself but want 1080p since I have a blue ray player. I have Direct TV but don't know if its HD or not. I refuse to pay any more than my current cable bill. I don't have to worry about turning the channel past 101 since I run it through my box.
Any info here??
How much is the 42 before the rebate??
Thanks
~NORD~
Give me the model number of your HD reciever and I will tell you if it is an HD one or not. Also, you will not benefit from 1080p unless you are going to sit 4 feet from a 42" TV, and even then, it might be hard to tell.

Nord
12-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Give me the model number of your HD reciever and I will tell you if it is an HD one or not. Also, you will not benefit from 1080p unless you are going to sit 4 feet from a 42" TV, and even then, it might be hard to tell.
This will be for my room and I will be over 4 ft away. Its a Tivo unit, I'll have to check when I get home from work later. Thanks, I'll let you know!

OSidePat
12-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Go to CNET.com

Nord
12-30-2006, 06:59 PM
Go to CNET.com
The 32 inch is not on the site, smallest is the 37. They did say the HD was so-so as far as the Vizio goes. That is not good.

Jyruiz
12-30-2006, 08:15 PM
This will be for my room and I will be over 4 ft away. Its a Tivo unit, I'll have to check when I get home from work later. Thanks, I'll let you know!
There is only two Tivo units that are HD for DirecTV, the HR10-250 and HR20-250. The HR20 has not been out that long, only since August and really isn't a Tivo, but DirecTV's own DVR.

sleekcraft137
12-31-2006, 10:23 AM
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/vizio_plasma_review.html
here is a review on the Vizio 42" i know your not lookin at the 42 but it'll give you an idea of the overall quality of Vizio.

Nord
12-31-2006, 12:34 PM
DVR-R10
I don't think it is HD. The blue ray player has a HDMI port?? I don't know anyting about this stuff. IF I buy a tv with a HD tuner, does that mean it will convert it?

Jyruiz
12-31-2006, 02:45 PM
DVR-R10
I don't think it is HD. The blue ray player has a HDMI port?? I don't know anyting about this stuff. IF I buy a tv with a HD tuner, does that mean it will convert it?
No, it is not HD, but if you buy a TV/plasma/LCD, what ever the case maybe, connect it with the S-video cable, I don't think the DVR-R10 has component out, otherwise you would use that one. HDMI is becoming the standard port for HD and DVD content, it is a port that has copy pretection so the studios are behind it and the TV manufacturers are putting it on all the new sets now. You always want to use HDMI if you can, here is how all the connections fair from worst to best.
Coax/cable
Composite
S-video
Component
DVI
HDMI
Component, DVI and HDMI are pretty much the same for picture quality.
Right now, component is better for progressive DVD players as HDMI and DVI cant do blacker than black and crush the whites.
If the TV comes with a built in HD tuner, what that means it that you can receive HD signals over the air. CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, KTLA, KCET, and what ever channel 13 is all broadcast over the air in HD. What ever device you hook up to the TV that is not HD, the TV will try it's best to convert it to its navtive resolution and try to make it look better, this is not always successful though and what you get is a very soft picture.
Feel free to post or PM me with any question you have.

Nord
12-31-2006, 03:34 PM
No, it is not HD, but if you buy a TV/plasma/LCD, what ever the case maybe, connect it with the S-video cable, I don't think the DVR-R10 has component out, otherwise you would use that one. HDMI is becoming the standard port for HD and DVD content, it is a port that has copy pretection so the studios are behind it and the TV manufacturers are putting it on all the new sets now. You always want to use HDMI if you can, here is how all the connections fair from worst to best.
Coax/cable
Composite
S-video
Component
DVI
HDMI
Component, DVI and HDMI are pretty much the same for picture quality.
Right now, component is better for progressive DVD players as HDMI and DVI cant do blacker than black and crush the whites.
If the TV comes with a built in HD tuner, what that means it that you can receive HD signals over the air. CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, KTLA, KCET, and what ever channel 13 is all broadcast over the air in HD. What ever device you hook up to the TV that is not HD, the TV will try it's best to convert it to its navtive resolution and try to make it look better, this is not always successful though and what you get is a very soft picture.
Feel free to post or PM me with any question you have.
Thanks!!! I'll have to look at this later!

FREIND OF AA AND TA
12-31-2006, 05:26 PM
Ditto!! 42 rocks!!!

PaPaG
12-31-2006, 10:34 PM
Hit it or quit it?
Thanks for any info.
We have a 32", 37" and a 42" Vizio. They are all great...make sure to get the LCD (shows better than the Plasma) Sams has the 42" LCD for $1195.00 vs Costco Plasma for $1195.00 and the LCD for $1295.00, both places have great return policies if you have to return them for any reason. So far so good. Volume is not that great like all the others we checked out but a 500w-1000w surround sound takes care of that issue.

Dan Lorenze
01-02-2007, 08:15 AM
We just bought the 50" Vizio from Costco online. For 1499.00 it's a great deal. It's a nice unit for our master bedroom. The audio is real nice too..

brianthomas
01-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Well I have purchased three LCD tvs this past year. Two were Sole' brand for the boat. One 20 inch and one 13 inch. Both died within the first three months and were replaced. Can't wait to see how long they last now. The third is a Magnavox 32" LCD that I bought in October and it is now in the shop waiting for a "scaler board" and has been there for a month! How can I have that bad of luck that all three of the only LCD tvs I have bought have all broken and none lasted more than 90 days. I'm thinking about regular old tube tvs again.

drejustice
01-02-2007, 08:44 AM
We just bought the 50" Vizio from Costco online. For 1499.00 it's a great deal. It's a nice unit for our master bedroom. The audio is real nice too..
We had the 50 inch vizio plasma since May. It craped out on Dec 24th:( Returned to Costco with only remote and power cord(not even the manual) and they took it back.
Decided to go with the 56 inch 1080P samsung DLP :)