PDA

View Full Version : P-ed off at trailer brakes

RitcheyRch
10-21-2006, 04:57 PM
Took my boat out of storage this morning to put a nice coat of wax on it and some Meguiars 57 on the interior. Went to put the boat back in storage and couldnt figure out why my truck had no guts. Got to the storage yard and realized the trailer brakes were sticking. The wheels were so HOT that I couldnt touch them. What pisses me off is that they were installed on Sept 25th. Unbelieveable that they would be acting up after only a month and havent even been on any long trips with them. My trailer didnt have brakes installed when was built back in 1988. I think at that time it was an option. Still boggles me that someone would not buy the option.
Sorry for the rant. :mad:

Singleton
10-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Had a very similiar problem. Just plan sucks
took the trailer to Patrick @ Orange Trailer and Maintenance and had to replace everything. At least the company in San Diego gave me my money back.

RitcheyRch
10-21-2006, 07:35 PM
I had Accurate Trailers in SCV do all the work. Have a feeling he has the plunger for the surge brakes too sensitive. Either way is going back Monday morning to have it looked at. Should be under warranty.

Sherpa
10-22-2006, 08:17 AM
there isn't really any "adjustments" to the master-cylinder piston. the
installer must have the brake shoes adjusted too tight in the drums.
a simple brake-adjuster spoon and 5 minutes each side can cure that.
--Sherpa

RitcheyRch
10-22-2006, 08:24 AM
They are disc brakes
there isn't really any "adjustments" to the master-cylinder piston. the
installer must have the brake shoes adjusted too tight in the drums.
a simple brake-adjuster spoon and 5 minutes each side can cure that.
--Sherpa

rrrr
10-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Mine are doing the same thing.....blew both tires from heat failure. The manufacturer claimed they fixed 'em, guess I'll have to do it myself.... :yuk:

RitcheyRch
10-22-2006, 08:46 AM
Hope they can fix mine. They are less than one month old. Shouldnt be having problems already.

Sherpa
10-22-2006, 10:27 AM
DOH-! didn't see that one coming..............
ah, is there a residual-valve in there somewhere-?? that's the only thing to
maintain pressure against the disc then... or am I speaking out my ass again.
--Sherpa

RitcheyRch
10-22-2006, 11:03 AM
No idea. I sure hope I dont blow the tires driving back to the trailer shop since they are only a few months old.
DOH-! didn't see that one coming..............
ah, is there a residual-valve in there somewhere-?? that's the only thing to
maintain pressure against the disc then... or am I speaking out my ass again.
--Sherpa

scooooter7
10-22-2006, 02:29 PM
I would call first, before I drove it and overheated the rotors and all. IMO

RitcheyRch
10-22-2006, 02:54 PM
I did call them and they told me to bring it in.
I would call first, before I drove it and overheated the rotors and all. IMO

BigDogIvan
10-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Did the install a reverse lock out valve just behind the master cylinder?
COuld be installed wrong or wrong master. There is a diference between disc and drum master cyliders.

RitcheyRch
10-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Yes, there is a reverse lock-out installed. Taking back in the morning on my way tto work. Glad wasnt on a long trip when noticed they are dragging.
Did the install a reverse lock out valve just behind the master cylinder?
COuld be installed wrong or wrong master. There is a diference between disc and drum master cyliders.

BigDogIvan
10-24-2006, 06:12 AM
Just wondering if you got it back last night and what they replaced or fixed. :cool:

BadKachina
10-24-2006, 06:57 AM
I'm interested to know what the problem and what the fix is. There really isn't any way to adjust your disc brakes. In my opinion, and it's only an opinion, your boat and trailer aren't heavy enough for discs, I would have recommended drums to you. I would also like to know how you adjust the sensitivy of the plunger? All there basically is, is a master bolted to your frame with a plunger attached to your receiver. There's usually a spring and shock also. I'm not sure if you can change the spring and the shock to springs or shocks with different rates. Keep us posted on the progress.

RitcheyRch
10-24-2006, 08:10 AM
They turned the rotors and replaced the pads. Looks like there was a kink in the flex line coming out of the master cylinder which was holding line pressure to the pads and not allowing them to retract within the caliper.

BigDogIvan
10-24-2006, 09:43 AM
YIKES!!! That would do it. Atleast it was an easy fix and they took care of it. :cool:

BigDogIvan
10-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Just curious. What rotor/caliper setup did they use?

RitcheyRch
10-24-2006, 10:13 AM
They used Kodiak calipers and rotors.
Just curious. What rotor/caliper setup did they use?
Yes, am glad they fixed it with no questions. He realized they screwed up during installation. Just glad they work now. Now can hear them disengage when taking off from a stop light. Didnt have that before.
YIKES!!! That would do it. Atleast it was an easy fix and they took care of it. :cool:

BigDogIvan
10-24-2006, 12:51 PM
COOL!! Kodiac has a great setup. I upgraded my trailer last year from drum to the UFP disc and calipers. Best damn thing I could have ever done to it!! Since the install I don't know why anyone would have drum brakes on there trailer. Just my .02 bits worth. :)

RitcheyRch
10-24-2006, 02:58 PM
I definitely upgraded since the trailer didnt have any brakes intalled.

VanDeano
10-24-2006, 03:04 PM
If u dont mine me asking, what was the cost?

RitcheyRch
10-24-2006, 03:24 PM
About $1200 for everything and to think was only about a $800 option on the trailer
If u dont mine me asking, what was the cost?

98 Vector 21
10-24-2006, 03:39 PM
If you think its a master problem holding the brakes on...suck all the fluid out of the resivor before taking it back, they will have to bleed it after they find the problem but you can keep the damage minor.

RitcheyRch
10-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Thought about doing that but figured since was under warranty would leave it alone.
If you think its a master problem holding the brakes on...suck all the fluid out of the resivor before taking it back, they will have to bleed it after they find the problem but you can keep the damage minor.

scooooter7
10-24-2006, 06:03 PM
Good news, glad to hear you got it fixed. :)

RitcheyRch
10-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Yeah me too and thanks.
Good news, glad to hear you got it fixed. :)