PDA

View Full Version : Wire prices

phebus
10-22-2006, 02:13 PM
I am running a new electric line from my panel to the future spa location. The line will be 150' long, and I am using #6 wire. I went to Home Depot to price the wire, and the #6 was 94 cents a foot!! Holy crap, I need 450' of it, and 150' of # 10 for a ground.
Sorry honey, Christmas has been cancelled :mad:

wsuwrhr
10-22-2006, 02:16 PM
I am running a new electric line from my panel to the future spa location. The line will be 150' long, and I am using #6 wire. I went to Home Depot to price the wire, and the #6 was 94 cents a foot!! Holy crap, I need 450' of it, and 150' of # 10 for a ground.
Are you sure about that price?
I think I bought 00 cable(battery cables practically) for the sub for the machines and I don't think it was that much.
Brian

YeLLowBoaT
10-22-2006, 02:18 PM
HD and lowes are way over priced, go to a supplier it will be much cheaper.

wsuwrhr
10-22-2006, 02:28 PM
I seriously think you got the price wrong.
For reference I checked Mc Master Carr supply, they are sometimes pretty high for things like this, but their price for stranded #6 was $55 per 100 ft up to 500ft and $37 per 100ft for 500 ft and up.
Just thought you would want to know.
I am headed to HD pretty soon anyway, Ill check for you.
Brian

deltaAce
10-22-2006, 02:38 PM
They have a direct buriable #6/3 + ground for that application.

phebus
10-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Now you tell me. I hired a backhoe to dig the 18" deep trench, and this morning, I ran 1 1/2" conduit in the trench. All I have to do now, is pull the wire. I ran a rope pull in the conduit to hopefully pull the wire with no issues. I went oversize on the conduit to make it easier.
I double checked Home Depots price, and yes, it is 94 cents a foot for #6 stranded, or you can buy a 250' spool, and it comes out to 54 cents a foot. I would buy the spool, but 250' isn't enough for two pulls since I need 150' for each wire.
I will check elec supply tomorrow, but this is Havasu, and I am limited with suppliers. Lowes opens here on 11/3, and if I find they are a lot cheaper, I will wait and get it there.
Copper prices have gone through the roof!!

Sleek-Jet
10-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Conduit is better than direct bury anyways... if you have to replace the wire, all you have to do is pull in new conductor, instead of diggin up your yard.
Whatever wire you end up getting, lock that shit up until you are ready to install it... the focking tweakers will steal it faster than you can imagine.... :mad:

phebus
10-22-2006, 03:27 PM
Whatever wire you end up getting, lock that shit up until you are ready to install it... the focking tweakers will steal it faster than you can imagine.... :mad:
There's no tweakers in Havasu :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

TCHB
10-22-2006, 03:56 PM
Give me a call if you need help. I am sure our Builder Jeff can you get you contractor deals around town.

phebus
10-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Give me a call if you need help. I am sure our Builder Jeff can you get you contractor deals around town.
I'll follow up on that. I have a friend that is a electrical contractor, and I'm going to call him also. I have to go back to So Cal on Tuesday for a doctor's appointment, and I could pick it up from him then. It is going to be a round trip day.

Nord
10-22-2006, 04:21 PM
I don't know if you guys have an Orvac out there, but you can get high quality wire without brand names for about 1/2 the price.
I bet they have an online site as well

phebus
10-22-2006, 05:19 PM
I just talked to my friend that is an electrical contractor, and he said that Home Depot is about as cheap as anywhere. He did tell me that they should have the #6 in 500' spools, and it is about half the price then if you have them take it off spools at the wire rack. So, hopefully they have the 500' spools, and I will just buy black and color code the ends.

Not So Fast
10-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Rick, I changed out some can lights in the house to flexible eyeballs and H.D. was about 20% cheaper than Current Supply for the exact same thing????????? NSF

phebus
10-22-2006, 05:37 PM
My friend said that as a general rule, he only uses the elec. supply houses when he needs something special that Home depot doesn't carry.
Say's something about H.D. pricing, and makes me wonder how the supply houses stay in business.

Big Kahunaa
10-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Lowes is going to be open this week in the bhc i get to go check it out tomarow because of the biz

HatenWinter
10-22-2006, 05:38 PM
I feel your pain! We just wired our spa and spent a small fortune, a majority of it was the cost of the wire from Home Depot. It's no wonder people are stealing this stuff these days...

phebus
10-22-2006, 05:44 PM
The backhoe cost me $100. The conduit cost me about $100. The spa panel cost me about $120. The wire will cost me between $300-$500 depending on the spool deal. The breaker is cheap, and then all I need is the weatherproof flex from the panel to the spa.
Very costly project.

TCHB
10-22-2006, 05:53 PM
I can send you over to our electrical supply contractor if you are around Orange County. Good luck.

wsuwrhr
10-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Mc Master Carr delivers to havasu

Rexone
10-22-2006, 06:15 PM
I've got a shitload of #6 stranded we pulled out of last warehouse, like new condition. Thought I was going to reuse but didn't.
I'm pretty sure I've got 150 ft runs of 7 colors. If you're interested I'll measure it out. I'll sell it for 1/2 HD price whatever that is.

wsuwrhr
10-22-2006, 06:38 PM
So YOU are one of the sketchers stealing wire.
I never knew Rexie.
Brian
I've got a shitload of #6 stranded we pulled out of last warehouse, like new condition. Thought I was going to reuse but didn't.
I'm pretty sure I've got 150 ft runs of 7 colors. If you're interested I'll measure it out. I'll sell it for 1/2 HD price whatever that is.

GHT
10-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Welcome to construction... Copper, Brass, Aluminum, are all a big ticket item for theft at construction sites... Only because it is expensive.. The price you paid is almost market.

jimslade
10-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Conduit is the best way to go. Lightning loves direct buried wire. Check local suppliers and ask for trade prices. With the amount you need you should get trade price.

Rexone
10-22-2006, 06:50 PM
So YOU are one of the sketchers stealing wire.
I never knew Rexie.
Brian
Actually it is my wire, to my machine subpanel and I was authorized to pull it.

XtrmWakeborder
10-22-2006, 06:51 PM
If your in socal check out CED and Rhino electric. We use them almost exclusively. This year alone we recycled 1000 dollars worth of extra scrap wire, i guess its a double edge sword on the price of wire.

phebus
10-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Rex, if you could measure it out, that would be great. I'm going to Home Depot in the morning, and I'll check their price, and if they have it by the spool. I have a doctors appt. in Orange County on Tuesday, and if we worked it out, I could come by and pick it up either on my way in or out that day.

67weimann
10-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Blah blah blah...dude I do this shit every day and a supply house isn't going to be any cheaper...usually more than HD. Buy the 500' spool from HD. I just hooked up a spa and I bought a 500' spool from HD for like $278...whatever that comes out to. Contractor prices aren't any different unless you are talking about buying a shit load. As far as the breaker goes...it must be a GFI breaker and they aren't cheap(I use that term loosely), A Square D 2 pole 50 amp breaker at HD is around $90...Supply house $120...to me that ain't "cheap"...

67weimann
10-22-2006, 07:45 PM
The backhoe cost me $100. The conduit cost me about $100. The spa panel cost me about $120. The wire will cost me between $300-$500 depending on the spool deal. The breaker is cheap, and then all I need is the weatherproof flex from the panel to the spa.
Very costly project.
Are you running the spa panel That has the GFI breaker in it? Then you are gonna have another breaker in the main house panel feeding this sub-panel? If this is the way you are going, disregard the previous statment about the breaker being cheap cuz a standard breaker is cheap just not a GFI

phebus
10-22-2006, 08:07 PM
The spa panel does have the GFI breaker built in, so I just have to buy a 50a breaker for the main panel.

67weimann
10-22-2006, 09:08 PM
The spa panel does have the GFI breaker built in, so I just have to buy a 50a breaker for the main panel.
cool...sounds like you are good to go. Just go buy the spool from HD it is usually on the ground next to the rack where they cut the wire...Good luck. If you got any more questions about it, PM me. I'm glad to help

Rexone
10-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Phebus see your PM's. I have well over 150 feet.

wsuwrhr
10-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Actually it is my wire, to my machine subpanel and I was authorized to pull it.
You got a RECEIPT?
Brian

Rexone
10-22-2006, 11:40 PM
You got a warrant?

YeLLowBoaT
10-22-2006, 11:52 PM
hey rex... copper is going for 2.78/ lb right now at the scrap yard... you may make more if you take it to your local scrap yard :)

Kilrtoy
10-23-2006, 01:07 AM
Maybe if you did not drink so much at the Firehouse and Indogo Joe's
YOU COULD AFFORD THE $37 DOLLAR'S WORTH OF WIRE

wsuwrhr
10-23-2006, 06:54 AM
You got a warrant?
Hmmm
Good question.
You got me there.
Brian

ChumpChange
10-23-2006, 07:02 AM
This is what I priced out. It was about $2.34/ft. Much cheaper and cleaner looking this way.

YODA
10-23-2006, 07:13 AM
The copper manufacterers are hosing us. This year the price of my low voltage wiring has almost doubled. As also the recycling prices. I was told copper wire recycling is over $3 lb!! thats nutz.... :cry:

Mtg Pro
10-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Rick,
Move the spa closer to the panel !!

DAB
10-23-2006, 07:46 PM
And by the way, copper has come down since mid summer.. There are a couple of us that work in the electronic industry and in early Feb we were receving 30 day pricing, then it went to 14 days, then ultimately priced at time of shipment.. absolutely insane.. Check your PM's

phebus
10-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Rick,
Move the spa closer to the panel !!
Then it would be too far from the refrigerator! :rollside:

Havasu1986
10-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Rick... You pulling permits? The inspector is going to want to see the buried conduit.

voodoomedman
10-24-2006, 06:31 AM
Rick... You pulling permits? The inspector is going to want to see the buried conduit.
At least take lots of pictures. I didn't pull any permits when getting my stuff done but I have lots of pictures with tape measures showing the required depth and such.

4DAY4PLAY
10-24-2006, 07:33 AM
At least take lots of pictures. I didn't pull any permits when getting my stuff done but I have lots of pictures with tape measures showing the required depth and such.
Pictures dont do you much good anymore....the fact is, when you go to sell your house they will look for the permits, if you dont have them you have to get them. Theres no guarantee they HAVE to give you a permit... years ago pictures may have worked, but theres too many lawsuits now, and most cities wont sign over a permit unless it was properly applied for before the work. Besides, taking pictures of the process doesnt prove it was your house, and your basically saying "i know i should have pulled a permit, but i'll take these pics just in case they catch me later"...basically providing means for the term neglegience. Pay the money now, and do it correctly is my advice. Trust me, i learned the hard way with a patio cover i built several years ago!!

Sleek-Jet
10-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Pretty sure that permits aren't required here in AZ for adding a spa sub panel and service.
Unless Pheb is upgrading his main service or main panel to do it, then permits and inspections are required.