PDA

View Full Version : Lifting fifth wheel trailer

Dragboat Dad
10-24-2006, 04:03 AM
I need to lift my 5th wheel at least 4". Blocks would be easiest but is this safe ? How have you done it? Thanks

LUVNLIFE
10-24-2006, 04:48 AM
I know it is more expensive but have you thought of airbags. You could let them down upon arrival so the trailer is lower. Just a thought.

sigepmock
10-24-2006, 07:56 AM
Are the axles already flipped to below the leaf springs? Most 5th wheels come with the axles above the springs and a simple "axle flip" to below the springs is all that's needed. Most dealers and trailer shops should be familiar with this process.
If they are already below the axle, I would really think twice about going any higher. You will really need to be careful with the change in handling characteristics and realize that your insurance may not cover you in case of an accident or worse yet you may face criminal charges if it's determined that you were towing unsafely or had made an unsafe modification to the trailer.
All that aside if you're set on lifting it, do not do lift blocks. Look into a set off lifted leaf springs. Companies like Deaver Spring or National Springs should be able to help you out.
Deaver Springs (714) 542-3703 Talk with Jeff.
Good luck,
Chris

victorfb
10-24-2006, 11:14 PM
in many cases the hangers are welded to a length of steel tubing first, and then welded to the underside of the trailer frame. look at your set up. you may be able to cut the welds from the frame and tubing, then add a piece of 4" tubing between them. just make sure you mark were the pieces are so you can weld the new piece at the same spot. this will help insure the same tracking. with this method you can actually strengthen the frame a bit too by adding a longer ( in your case 4" ) tubing to help support the frame of the 5th wheel. also note that afterwards your step with be higher to get in the trailer, so you may want to look into an add on step.

Kaotic
10-28-2006, 07:07 PM
I had my Thor 327 fifth wheel toy hauler lifted so that it would sit level with my lifted truck. The dealer flipped the springs from below the axle, to the top of the axle. It gave the trailer almost 4" of lift. I do not have any worries now with the top of the bed hitting the trailer.
I have never had any type of towing issues with this setup. The trailer is stable and never sways even with high cross winds.

Magic34
10-29-2006, 07:59 PM
Taking a 5th wheel any higher than the basic axle flip could put you into some bridge clearance issues some places.

riverroyal
11-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Taking a 5th wheel any higher than the basic axle flip could put you into some bridge clearance issues some places.
is 12ft 6iches on a good day,NO flipped axles

OldYeller
11-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Axle flipping is the easiest and safest way to do the lift -- IF the axles are curretnly above the springs. We have discussed airbags on trailers before, but have never seen it done - would be prototype work. If the axles are already under the springs, you can block them, just use caution when you start towing to check out the stability of the trailer. As far as height goes, around 13' is ok. 13'6" is maximum (to the most highest point -- usually the A/C unit)