PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some more performance.

Dominator Scott
10-24-2006, 07:45 AM
I have been kicking around the idea of adding a Super Sucker between the carb and intake that I am running on this 460 Ford motor. I was wondering if you guys think it would help at all. Here are the specs.
Ford 460 Big Block/Harman Marine Approx. 350HP
Torker 460 aluminum intake(Not a Torker2 series)
Hooker headers.
800 Holley Double pumper carb
What are your thoughts?

Duane HTP
10-24-2006, 08:04 AM
I have had very good luck with the Super Sucker on the 460 application. I would say yes. It is NOT a bolt on 5 MPH kind of thing. It will help a little in your low HP application though. At worst, it will help straighten up the lean to rich cylinders on that manifold.

Dominator Scott
10-24-2006, 08:09 AM
I have had very good luck with the Super Sucker on the 460 application. I would say yes. It is NOT a bolt on 5 MPH kind of thing. It will help a little in your low HP application though. At worst, it will help straighten up the lean to rich cylinders on that manifold.
Do you think it would help in the top end/high RPM range?

centerhill condor
10-24-2006, 09:53 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19144
here ya go!

hallettman
10-24-2006, 09:56 AM
dumb question. whats a super sucker?

Duane HTP
10-24-2006, 10:16 AM
Do you think it would help in the top end/high RPM range?
Yes. You want the 2" one on that Ford.
dumb question. whats a super sucker?
http://www.highvelocityheads.com/ss.htm

Squirtcha?
10-24-2006, 11:04 AM
I used to run the old Torker (not the Torker II) on my BBF. I played around with spacers 1" open, 1" four hole, 2" open. None of which made any difference. Probably one of the best things you could do would be to switch different intake. Maybe a Weiand Stealth, Edelbrock performer, or Victor.
If your motor is pretty much stock, you probably won't see any gains by just changing the intake or adding spacers to the one you have now (I didn't). However, after having the motor rebuilt to 500 hp I found that it was just the ticket and my Weiand Stealth coupled with 2" spacer and a Holley 850 dp fed the 500 hp just fine. This probably wouldn't have been the case had I not pitched the Torker in favor of the Weiand.
Not intended to be contradictory, just relating my own personal experience with the same deal.

LakesOnly
10-24-2006, 11:26 AM
...adding a Super Sucker between the carb and intake that I am running on this 460 Ford motor. I was wondering if you guys think it would help at all.
Ford 460 Big Block/Harman Marine Approx. 350HP
Torker 460 aluminum intake(Not a Torker2 series)
Hooker headers.
800 Holley Double pumper carb
What are your thoughts?Generally, I think you need an intake manifold more than you need the Super Sucker, but the addition of both would help. The original Torker is not a great jet boat intake. Get a Victor 460 on there or, if you can wait a month or tow, a newly released TFS 429/460 street strip intake and put the Sucker on one of those.
LO

wright27
10-24-2006, 11:45 AM
There is always nitrous!!!

Dominator Scott
10-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Generally, I think you need an intake manifold more than you need the Super Sucker, but the addition of both would help. The original Torker is not a great jet boat intake. Get a Victor 460 on there or, if you can wait a month or tow, a newly released TFS 429/460 street strip intake and put the Sucker on one of those.
LO
I looked into a Victor intake but was told that the ports on the intake are bigger than the ports on my heads so in order to get any benefits from the Victor,I would have to have the heads port matched and I don't want to get into that. If the ports would match up without having to do some machine work on the heads I would buy one today. :rolleyes:

LakesOnly
10-24-2006, 12:45 PM
The Victor 460 (# 2966) with the 4150 series carb pad (for your Holley) is cast with passenger car size ports, which is the same port size as D3VE and D0VE heads.
On some of the ports, the actual port alignment is not dead-on with these heads because the Victor 460 intake port runners are on Cobra Jet port centers (but not the CJ port sizes). This does not affect the performance of this intake when bolted to your heads.
Therefore,the ports are not bigger as you were told but are indeed the passenger car port size. So, go ahead and buy one today as you stated.
LO

Dominator Scott
10-24-2006, 01:01 PM
The Victor 460 (# 2966) with the 4150 series carb pad (for your Holley) is cast with passenger car size ports, which is the same port size as D3VE and D0VE heads.
On some of the ports, the actual port alignment is not dead-on with these heads because the Victor 460 intake port runners are on Cobra Jet port centers (but not the CJ port sizes). This does not affect the performance of this intake when bolted to your heads.
Therefore,the ports are not bigger as you were told but are indeed the passenger car port size. So, go ahead and buy one today as you stated.
LO
Is the #2966 the actual part # from Edelbrock on the Victor intake? If so I will call my local speed shop.

Duane HTP
10-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Squitrcha, Were you making your assements by SOP, or were you on a dyno?
We have ran many of them on the dyno, and by checking each individual cylinder with the innovators we find it makes the cylinders all run a whole lot closer together.
When hooking up one sensor to each bank on the headers, they can show that your fuel mixture is just right. However, when you use the individual read out, you find that you were only getting the average when hooked bank by bank. The fuel showed just right on the header hook up, but when doing it individually, we found some very rich cylinders, and some scarey lean cylinders. The Super Sucker has made a BIG difference on getting the cylinder graphs to interpulate right on the same line. This is where my suggestion comes from to use them.

LakesOnly
10-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Is the #2966 the actual part # from Edelbrock on the Victor intake?Yes, that's the one. PM'd you a deal on a brand new one...
LO

Dominator Scott
10-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Yes, that's the one. PM'd you a deal on a brand new one...
LO
PM'd you back buddy.

Squirtcha?
10-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Squitrcha, Were you making your assements by SOP, or were you on a dyno?
Dyno? Heck no! I'm not that sophisticated. I use a gps for my changes.
Remember..........I'm a backyard hack. I just use whatever means I have at my disposal. Is this the best way? I'm sure not. Its the only way I have though.
The closest I've ever come to a dyno was seeing a picture of one in
a magazine once.
Once again I probably should've quantified my response.
Here's a disclaimer that we can refer back to anytime I post something
here.
My responses on this board are merely my own experiences with different
things through the years. Certainly not intended to be presented as the
end all, be all, answers to anything. I'm just doing what I've always done. Tossing information out there in hopes that someone else can avoid some of the many pitfalls I've found myself in. Take it for what it's worth.
In fact I think I'll make that part of my new signature.
Sincerely Dan (aka Squirtcha?)

Chopper
10-24-2006, 02:00 PM
I second that.
Some people just like to argue.
I cant remember how many times I have just turned the computer off because of what someone says about my comment.
end all, be all, answers to anything. I'm just tossing information out there
in hopes that someone else can avoid some of the many pitfalls I've found
myself in. Take it for what it's worth.
Let's boat!

Squirtcha?
10-24-2006, 02:36 PM
I second that.
I cant remember how many times I have just turned the computer off because of what someone says about my comment.
It probably came off like I was sore. Actually it was intended as a little tongue in cheek humor. Duane (and most everybody else here) knows I'm a backyard hack.
Over the years I've posted up step by steps of just about everything I've ever done. In the photos you can always see my house/garage in the back ground proving that I'm the hack I say I am. I've screwed up more shit than most people have even thought of. Not being self-deprecating. Just speaking the truth. I always post up everything, even if it's a disaster. However, I also do 98% of my own work. No boat shop has touched my ride in the past 5 years. I'm too cheap to pay em all that money and I enjoy doing it myself.
I assume that it was just his way of saying that I hadn't explored all the avenues of spacers and Edelbrock Torker manifolds. Which would be true incidently.

Duane HTP
10-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Yes, I knew you were just having fun.
I'm not saying what is the end deal either. That is just the information we have found playing on the dyno. My good friend has a dyno that he lets me run any time I want for my own use. It's quite handy for a learning tool. And, I have a lot of learning to do yet. No ofense taken. Take care!

FILUCKY
10-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Go with the Victor manifold first, then you can fine tune your setup later with spacers ect. :)

OverKill
10-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Dan that is very touching, maybe we should let everybody know our little secret. WILSON MANIFOLDS, if you want the best there it is. It's very pricey but well worth it. Spend the money and gain the performance, by all means do your research.

sleekcrafter
10-25-2006, 03:31 AM
An upgrade in ignition to a good electronic unit, such as an MSD, will give you a few more ponies as well. Just a thought...Sleek

Dominator Scott
10-25-2006, 02:09 PM
An upgrade in ignition to a good electronic unit, such as an MSD, will give you a few more ponies as well. Just a thought...Sleek
I will be sticking with the existing ignition system for now. I am way over budget on this project and pretty tired of throwing $$$$ at this thing to be honest. The only reason I have kept going is because it is for my dad.
If I decide to go with an intake that will probably be the end of the road and I will call it finished.

Squirtcha?
10-25-2006, 02:19 PM
WILSON MANIFOLDS, if you want the best there it is. It's very pricey but well worth it. Spend the money and gain the performance,
I'll have to be blunt here. IMO Putting a Wilson spacer on top of that Torker I manifold would be like sitting a diamond on top of a turd.
Once again it's just an opinion.
The Torker II was a lot better but still no great shakes. There are a number of reasonably priced intakes out there that would probably work much better on that BBF.

Dominator Scott
10-25-2006, 02:29 PM
I'll have to be blunt here. IMO Putting a Wilson spacer on top of that Torker I manifold would be like sitting a diamond on top of a turd.
Once again it's just an opinion.
The Torker II was a lot better but still no great shakes. There are a number of reasonably priced intakes out there that would work much better on that BBF.
If it was my boat it would have a big block Chevy and be done with it. Easier to come across parts and cheaper too. I mean it took me 2 months to find a set of Ford headers for the damn thing and I can't count how many Chevy headers I came across in those 2 months. :rolleyes:
With a Chevy motor I wouldn't of even started this thread. Big block Chevy intake? Easy solution DART and be done with it. :rollside:

Placecraft Dragstar
10-25-2006, 03:25 PM
I second that.
end all, be all, answers to anything. I'm just tossing information out there
in hopes that someone else can avoid some of the many pitfalls I've found
myself in. Take it for what it's worth.
Let's boat!
I second that to chopper :) could not of said it better!!!
NICE BIKE MAN!!!!! :crossx:

Squirtcha?
10-25-2006, 07:31 PM
If it was my boat it would have a big block Chevy and be done with it. Easier to come across parts and cheaper too. I mean it took me 2 months to find a set of Ford headers for the damn thing and I can't count how many Chevy headers I came across in those 2 months. :rolleyes:
Some of it's just luck and timing too. I've sold three sets of used BBF headers in the past few years.
My apologies about the intake thing. Like I said earlier in this fray, I was running a Torker I, then bought a better intake for my near stock BBF. I didn't gain anything by just switching the intake so in all likelihood your dad's wouldn't gain much if anything either.
He's gonna love the new boat and that's all that counts anyway.

beerjet
10-25-2006, 08:08 PM
DAMN Scott! Your not gonna leave your dad anything to tinker with . If your gonna make it that turn key , you should ahve just bought him some 40'+ colorfull gay-liner. :D
J/K I't's nice to see someone do something nice for someone else for a change. What would be real funny is if your pops yanked the ford and dropped a chavy in it upon deleivery.:crossx:
-beerjet-

OverKill
10-25-2006, 08:27 PM
That wouldn't be funny just the right thing.

beerjet
10-25-2006, 08:42 PM
I wasn't tryin to go there ......
but I'll follow .:D
-beerjet-

OverKill
10-25-2006, 08:50 PM
I know just haveing fun. My buddy Dan has my Chevy on his stand right now and I think he gets tempted to swap them out hopeing I won't know the difference.

beerjet
10-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Tell him some beaner sellin flowers in fontana on the freeway offramp told you his dick was gonna fall of if he even though about it .......... Uh yeah .
-beerjet-

OverKill
10-25-2006, 08:58 PM
That shit is to funny. I think he will be briefed tommorow when he see's this post.

Dominator Scott
10-26-2006, 05:57 AM
DAMN Scott! Your not gonna leave your dad anything to tinker with . If your gonna make it that turn key , you should ahve just bought him some 40'+ colorfull gay-liner. :D
J/K I't's nice to see someone do something nice for someone else for a change. What would be real funny is if your pops yanked the ford and dropped a chavy in it upon deleivery.:crossx:
-beerjet-
My dad tinkering with an engine could be dangerous. When he was younger it seemed that he could build or repair about anything from an engine to a VCR. I think with age creeping up on him he tends to forget things or just thinks they are not important and skips over them entirely. :rolleyes:
Besides one of my goals in this project is to make this thing as turn key as possible and still run like a scalded rat. My dad has enough on his plate taking care of a 5000sq. ft. house, paying the bills and taking care of my mother who's mental state has deteriorated quickly in the past year. When he feels like things are loading up on him,I want him to be able to walk down to the dock,jump in the boat and hit the key and go for a spin with no problems. :rollside:

Duane HTP
10-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Lucky Dad!