PDA

View Full Version : Stupid itunes question

PHX ATC
10-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Sorry, I'm ignorant (and stupid).
How does one go about taking itunes downloaded (legally) and converting them to files that can go on CDs? I want to take the files from my daughter's ipod and burn them to a CD that can play in our car.
Thanks in advance.
Toby

BajaMike
10-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Sorry, I'm ignorant (and stupid).
How does one go about taking itunes downloaded (legally) and converting them to files that can go on CDs? I want to take the files from my daughter's ipod and burn them to a CD that can play in our car.
Thanks in advance.
Toby
In i-tunes on your computer, just create a playlist with the songs you want, right click on it, and left click on "burn CD".
It's easy!

PHX ATC
10-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Now I feel stupid.
Thanks!
For some reason, I thought the itunes format was different that the rest. D'oh! :)

AZKC
10-24-2006, 04:32 PM
It is different Itunes just converts it for you :)

CA Stu
10-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Go to ipodlounge.com and check it out.
I recommend Anapod for software. About a billion times better than iTunes.
That, and Limewire.
Thank me later
Cheers
CA Stu

cxr133
10-24-2006, 05:24 PM
if your gonna use limewire just make sure your antivirus is up to date..
lots of virus laden files there

CA Stu
10-24-2006, 05:29 PM
if your gonna use limewire just make sure your antivirus is up to date..
lots of virus laden files there
Fairy tale. (http://www.abc15.com/tech/datadr/index2004.asp?did=6623)
mp3 files don't contain viruses.
Your post is 100% incorrect.
Thanks
CA Stu

Liquid Courage
10-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Itune question here too....
How do you back up all the music on the Ipod and Itunes to an external drive? When I did it it saved it as computer jargin only, not the actual music. What's the deal?
Also, I had to re-install itunes onto my computer because I fried the brain on the computer and bought a new one. I want to "sink" my ipod to my new itunes (which I loaded with the new software "7.2. whatever"). I'm afraid if I do sink the ipod with the newly downloaded itunes I'll loose the music on the itunes. Can I save all 3,000 songs on my ipod to a dvd disk, then turn around and burn them back into my itunes account and sink my ipod?
Thanks.

AZKC
10-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Yes :idea: , but I can't tell you how my kid does it for me :)

bigq
10-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Fairy tale. (http://www.abc15.com/tech/datadr/index2004.asp?did=6623)
mp3 files don't contain viruses.
Your post is 100% incorrect.
Thanks
CA Stu
Actually his post never mention mp3 files, so your post is 100% incorrect.
Thanks

mike37
10-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks
I was just going to point that out also
CA Stu wrong again

Chipster27
10-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Does anyone know of a reliable software program that will rip itunes to MP3? iTunes will rip to a CD, but it's wma (or whatever the CD format is) and I can only get 15-20 songs on a CD. With MP3 I could get hundred(s)?

bigq
10-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Does anyone know of a reliable software program that will rip itunes to MP3? iTunes will rip to a CD, but it's wma (or whatever the CD format is) and I can only get 15-20 songs on a CD. With MP3 I could get hundred(s)?
If you are talking about the protected songs you can burn them to CD then import htem back into ITunes as MP3 and do with them what you want. I don't know if this works withthe newer versions or not, I think mine was ver 5 or 6 before switching to real player.

Chico&Zeus
10-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Thanks
Actually, there are some files that appear as mp3 but are actually executable files that contain a virus, they trick you by naming the file example: sexyback.mp3.exe, for some reason the file only shows .mp3 in explorer. If you double click the song to start it, it runs the virus.....always check the file name using "right click, properties" to be safe.

Chipster27
10-24-2006, 08:08 PM
If you are talking about the protected songs you can burn them to CD then import htem back into ITunes as MP3 and do with them what you want. I don't know if this works withthe newer versions or not, I think mine was ver 5 or 6 before switching to real player.
I thought I read somewhere that they changed the ability to do that when they upgraded iTunes to 6.0 and higher :mad:

beaverretriever
10-24-2006, 08:17 PM
You should be able to burn mp3 using iTunes 7 (under Edit, Preferences, Advanced (Tab), Burning, MP3CD).
The roundabout way is burn your CD, then rip to Windows Media Player (this is what I use Windows Media Player 10. It's a free download.)
Under Rip Music and you can choose between mp3, wma, or wav and have the option of audio quality (from smallest file size (128 Kbps) to best quality (320 Kbps)). The files size determines how many songs you can fit on a CD.
In my experience, once I burn music from iTunes to CD, the protection is virtually lost such as the number of times you can burn the song from iTunes to CD (there use to be a limit to the # of times you can burn but I haven't had that problem) and import from that same CD back to iTunes.

beaverretriever
10-24-2006, 08:23 PM
I thought I read somewhere that they changed the ability to do that when they upgraded iTunes to 6.0 and higher :mad:
I haven't tried it either but iTunes 7 appears to be able to import using different encoders including MP3, also, at different qualities. [Edit, Preferences, Advanced (tab), Importing (tab)]
Best wishes whatever you decide to do!

beaverretriever
10-24-2006, 08:34 PM
How do you back up all the music on the Ipod and Itunes to an external drive? When I did it it saved it as computer jargin only, not the actual music. What's the deal?
Also, I had to re-install itunes onto my computer because I fried the brain on the computer and bought a new one. I want to "sink" my ipod to my new itunes (which I loaded with the new software "7.2. whatever"). I'm afraid if I do sink the ipod with the newly downloaded itunes I'll loose the music on the itunes. Can I save all 3,000 songs on my ipod to a dvd disk, then turn around and burn them back into my itunes account and sink my ipod?
Thanks.
Our laptop was fried too and (after repairing, installing a fresh Windows XP copy and creating a backup of C: drive) we ultimately lost all the iTunes music files. Interestingly enough, the MP3 files from Windows Media Player were still preserved...which (possibly) lends to the resilience of MP3 files (that were imported) vs. the MPEG4 audio file of iTunes (Grrrrrrr :rolleyes: ) No clue...just irked that ALL my iTune files are gone. Luckily I burned them to CD at one point or another but I'm sure the quality was compromised. :cry:

beaverretriever
10-24-2006, 08:36 PM
I apologize, I don't mean to be a post hog :squiggle:

rvrhlic
10-24-2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks.
there is software out there you can install to remove the songs from your ipod. I use ipod agent (recently renamed to igadget i think). anyway, install the software, import the songs to your computer then add the directory they are in to itunes and you willbe good to go. You can "borrow" your friends ipods and get their music in this manner as well (it only works if their songs are mps3's not AAC).

lawbreaker2
10-25-2006, 06:48 AM
:rolleyes: And I'm still trying to get the VCR to stop blinking 12:00 :cry:

Her454
10-25-2006, 07:04 AM
:rolleyes: And I'm still trying to get the VCR to stop blinking 12:00 :cry:
heheheheh :rollside:

INSman
10-25-2006, 07:42 AM
How do you get a music dvd song over to itunes/ipod ??

Liquid Courage
10-25-2006, 10:20 AM
there is software out there you can install to remove the songs from your ipod. I use ipod agent (recently renamed to igadget i think). anyway, install the software, import the songs to your computer then add the directory they are in to itunes and you willbe good to go. You can "borrow" your friends ipods and get their music in this manner as well (it only works if their songs are mps3's not AAC).
Thank you for the info. I'll try it. I just don't want to loose the music on my ipod because it's not saved anywhere else.
I've heard a "dvd" disk will hold like 1,000 songs, instead of your regular disk that only hold like 25 songs. Is this true?

rvrhlic
10-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Thank you for the info. I'll try it. I just don't want to loose the music on my ipod because it's not saved anywhere else.
I've heard a "dvd" disk will hold like 1,000 songs, instead of your regular disk that only hold like 25 songs. Is this true?
A data dvd or a data CD will hold a lot more music than a standard music CD. I think with a standard CD burned as a data disk (all mp3s) will hold about 125 songs. A dvd burned as a data disk will hold about 4.5gb of music which is roughly 1500 songs.
The caveat is your disk player has to be able to play mp3s.