PDA

View Full Version : diesel

axkiker
10-25-2006, 04:40 PM
ok so why is diesel more expensive. Its less refined than gas. It makes no sence.
any ideas

Primetime
10-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Don't get me started on that.It pisses me off

havaduner
10-25-2006, 04:59 PM
Sense it's less refined, maybe there is more oil per gallon of fuel???
Got Diesel at the Arco in Mecca on Sunday, big label on the pump that their deisel contains biodeisel. Still paid $2.65/gal.

Sleek-Jet
10-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Because all the yup-neck's went out and bought diesel pick-ups and SUV's... :idea:

JB in so cal
10-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Got Diesel at the Arco in Mecca on Sunday, big label on the pump that their deisel contains biodeisel. Still paid $2.65/gal.
Do they have prayer rugs facing east, err west errrr...

havaduner
10-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Do they have prayer rugs facing east, err west errrr...
No typo there. Mecca. Gateway to Glamis! LOL!!

Boatcop
10-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Found this answer:
Diesel costs less to refine from oil. But while gasoline imports have increased to offset some of the supply lost from hurricane-related refinery outages, increases in diesel fuel imports have been much less, according to the Department of Energy.
Diesel inventories declined by about 6 million barrels in early October, the Energy Department said. The tight supplies are partly to blame for diesel reaching a record $3.19 per gallon in Louisville yesterday, according to AAA.

gsb_77_xl
10-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Boi diesel does not have to be 100% bio to be considered bio diesel. We use bio diesel at work for the trucks and equipment and it only contains 10% actual bio diesel. I asked the fuel guy WTF is the point in that? he said it just a show for the public to think companies are doing something for the environment when they see the "we use Bio Diesel grown by Indiana farmers" stickers on out trucks. Kinda ironic that I work for a Logging company (doing something good for the environment LOL).

soupersonic
10-25-2006, 05:58 PM
The price grew higher because of the demand,meaning all you fockers (including me) went out and bought a new diesel truck to pull our rides easier.The EPA demands strict new emmisions on all the new vehicles,meaning they have to refine more sulpher put of the fuel.All adds up to more cost to refine and a higher demand.

billet racing 1
10-25-2006, 06:08 PM
So ho wcome my 89 Pete with a 3406 and 450 hp gets 6.5 mpg, and the 05 Pete with a c-15 and 430hp only gets 4.2 mpg. Seems we are burning 30% more fuel per mile, and they think we are polluting less.
Run 19 trucks, and we are in the proccess of rebuilding a 91 Pete with the old technology and better mileage because of the cost.
Jerry

Run_em_Hard
10-25-2006, 06:11 PM
So ho wcome my 89 Pete with a 3406 and 450 hp gets 6.5 mpg, and the 05 Pete with a c-15 and 430hp only gets 4.2 mpg. Seems we are burning 30% more fuel per mile, and they think we are polluting less.
Run 19 trucks, and we are in the proccess of rebuilding a 91 Pete with the old technology and better mileage because of the cost.
Jerry
Part of the reason that you get less milage with the newer vehicles is because of the emissons.

Back Forty
10-25-2006, 06:15 PM
It's all in the "how it's marketed"
Diesel takes less refining than gas so your actually paying for more energy content...

73beast
10-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Jerry
I know what you mean, i drive a company tractor with a ISM motor that has an EGR valve--5.5 mpg. Same motor without EGR --6.7-7.2 mpg........

BoatPI
10-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Ths ARCI in Havasu just atarted carrying diesel at $2.33 a gallon

Jordy
10-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Part of the reason that you get less milage with the newer vehicles is because of the emissons.
Wait until Jan. 1st 2007 when the next stage of emissions hits. There is a reason the Dodge is going to a 6.4 Cummins and the Ford is dropping the 6.0 in favor of a 6.6 twin turbo. Emissions are clamping down so hard they have to increase displacement to make the same HP and still pass.
As far as the question regarding the Cat 3406 versus the new ACCERT C series, yeah, good luck with all that. Cummins and Detroit went with an EGR engine. Cat decided to just add more fuel and another turbo for higher EGT's and a "more complete fuel" burn, then put on a big campaign about the EGR engines that recirculated exhaust having higher EGT's. I've yet to talk to a new Cat owner who is happy with the new ACCERT engines. Most claim a 25+% loss in mileage, oh, and lots more heat. Then again, recirculating 10-15% of the exhaust creates way more heat than adding another turbo. Mmmmmmkay. Yeah, Cat burned a couple trucks to the ground in the early stages, but by that time they had too much money tied up not to make it work. :rolleyes: :notam:

Hardly Satisfied
10-26-2006, 01:09 AM
ok so why is diesel more expensive. Its less refined than gas. It makes no sence.
any ideas
because they the oil companys like to rip us off

Wild Horses
10-26-2006, 05:32 AM
any ideas
That right there is part of the reason, When gas is refined you get a lot of byproducts that can be sold at a higher price to offset the gas price. Diesel less byproducts. :yuk:

axkiker
10-26-2006, 06:15 AM
It's all in the "how it's marketed"
Diesel takes less refining than gas so your actually paying for more energy content...
I think that hit the nail on the head.

AzMandella
10-26-2006, 06:27 AM
That right there is part of the reason, When gas is refined you get a lot of byproducts that can be sold at a higher price to offset the gas price. Diesel less byproducts. :yuk:
BINGO!!! we have a winner.That is the main reason diesel is more expensive.There are alot of products that are made from the by-products of a drum of oil other than gas.And there are fewer by-products when making diesel so that is the only revenue generated from that particular 50 gal of oil.

havaduner
10-26-2006, 06:38 AM
Boi diesel does not have to be 100% bio to be considered bio diesel. We use bio diesel at work for the trucks and equipment and it only contains 10% actual bio diesel. I asked the fuel guy WTF is the point in that? he said it just a show for the public to think companies are doing something for the environment when they see the "we use Bio Diesel grown by Indiana farmers" stickers on out trucks. Kinda ironic that I work for a Logging company (doing something good for the environment LOL).
Yeah, I figured it was something like that. 10-20% bidiesel, more like filler than anything else.

havaduner
10-26-2006, 06:39 AM
Wait until Jan. 1st 2007 when the next stage of emissions hits. There is a reason the Dodge is going to a 6.4 Cummins and the Ford is dropping the 6.0 in favor of a 6.6 twin turbo. Emissions are clamping down so hard they have to increase displacement to make the same HP and still pass.
As far as the question regarding the Cat 3406 versus the new ACCERT C series, yeah, good luck with all that. Cummins and Detroit went with an EGR engine. Cat decided to just add more fuel and another turbo for higher EGT's and a "more complete fuel" burn, then put on a big campaign about the EGR engines that recirculated exhaust having higher EGT's. I've yet to talk to a new Cat owner who is happy with the new ACCERT engines. Most claim a 25+% loss in mileage, oh, and lots more heat. Then again, recirculating 10-15% of the exhaust creates way more heat than adding another turbo. Mmmmmmkay. Yeah, Cat burned a couple trucks to the ground in the early stages, but by that time they had too much money tied up not to make it work. :rolleyes: :notam:
I was told Ford is having a lot of issues with this new engine....

citifiedfarmkid
10-26-2006, 06:42 AM
There is one more reason for higher cost for diesel. The northeast and I believe some other areas use diesel to heat there homes, which creates more demand this time of year. However, I really don't know much. I just heard that a few years back and it surprised me. In the kansas area, we use propane, natural gas, wood and electric. :boxed:

STV_Keith
10-26-2006, 07:00 AM
There is a reason the Dodge is going to a 6.4 Cummins
Dang Duramax guys - that's a 6.7l Cummins, not 6.4. :crossx:

Jordy
10-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Dang Duramax guys - that's a 6.7l Cummins, not 6.4. :crossx:
OK, so they're going even bigger than I last heard to overcome the stranglehold that the new emissions tier will be creating. Dang Cummins guys... :D :D :D

soupersonic
10-26-2006, 07:12 AM
OK, so they're going even bigger than I last heard to overcome the stranglehold that the new emissions tier will be creating. Dang Cummins guys... :D :D :D
Nah your just dislexic :) the ford is getting the 6.4
The cummin is going to have an egr and a particulate trap, w/e that is.Had any experience with those?

Jordy
10-26-2006, 07:14 AM
Nah your just dislexic :) the ford is getting the 6.4
No, not dyslexic, just don't pay that much attention to the constant engine games that Ford plays. Should have just stuck with the 7.3 and been done with it. :D :D :D

Zaairman
10-26-2006, 07:16 AM
I was told Ford is having a lot of issues with this new engine....
Nope. The reason Ford has taken so long to get this motor out is because of extensive testing, and they're actually teaching their mechanics how to work on these ones.

soupersonic
10-26-2006, 07:17 AM
No, not dyslexic, just don't pay that much attention to the constanst engine games that Ford plays. Should have just stuck with the 7.3 and been done with it. :D :D :D
In hindsight, it wasnt a bright move was it :) .Had any experience with these particulate traps coming out on the new trucks?

Jordy
10-26-2006, 07:34 AM
In hindsight, it wasnt a bright move was it :)
Then again, neither is putting an International long block that was designed to put out 200hp in a truck and trying to squeeze 300+ hp out of it. ;)
Had any experience with these particulate traps coming out on the new trucks?
I believe that Valley Metro tried some out on a few buses in town and it was almost a weekly occurance that they would get so plugged up they'd choke the bus out because of back pressure. Granted these were more of a catalytic converter type versus the design that actually sprays fuel into the chamber to help burn off the particulates more completely.

boater72
10-26-2006, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE=Jordy]Wait until Jan. 1st 2007 when the next stage of emissions hits. There is a reason the Dodge is going to a 6.4 Cummins and the Ford is dropping the 6.0 in favor of a 6.6 twin turbo. Emissions are clamping down so hard they have to increase displacement to make the same HP and still pass.
This is so true. That is the reasone they went to the 6.0 in the first place. As they were even thinking about having us get smog checks in 2007 but that's not going to happen.
Should have just stuck with the 7.3 and been done with it.
I did late 2002 7.3 and I am happy I did!

Sotally Tober
10-26-2006, 11:47 AM
We have both engines in trucks in our Trucking and Excavation business. I have not noticed the difference in heat you ar talking about in EGT's. The Accert actually runs a lot cooler egt's. Now it does run around 210 degree coolant all day long. That is a lot more heat. We have another new Pete on order. Now we do not watch fuel mileage as we are off road alot and cant get an accurate reading.