PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Restaurant HELP...

OGShocker
01-19-2006, 03:41 PM
We have friends who are planning on hosting a party in San Diego. 20 or so people on a Sunday night in March, down near the convention center. They are looking to spend between $50.00 & $75.00 per plate, including cocktails, before tip. Standard Steak & Seafood is what they're looking for.
Anyone have any ideas? Wes? John West? Roz? I PM'ed Mandy for the same information..
Thank you in advance,
Mark

OutCole'd
01-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Mandy was my travel with this same thing, good luck.

BarryMac
01-19-2006, 03:44 PM
The Strip Club, seriously, good food and a great atmosphere. You cook your own meat but that makes it kinds fun and interesting...

Ziggy
01-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Richard always seems to have the best insight for that stuff......
I'd guess the couple nice hotels next to the convention center would be able to accomidate.
Hyatt and Sheriton.....

Tom Brown
01-19-2006, 03:46 PM
The Strip Club...
Oh great... way to drive OGShocker away from this web site. :yuk:

OGShocker
01-19-2006, 03:47 PM
The Strip Club, seriously, good food and a great atmosphere. You cook your own meat but that makes it kinds fun and interesting...
I should have added, there will be ladies there and this is a business function.
Now, next time I'm there... I AM THERE!!! :crossx:

Ziggy
01-19-2006, 03:51 PM
I should have added, there will be ladies there and this is a business function.
Strip is referring to the meat they bring you.....

BarryMac
01-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Seriously, the name of the restaurant is "The Strip Club", it's not a tittie bar, I'll find it for you, would make for great conversation around then table then who knows what that would lead to, maybe a member of the "B" cut here on HB...

OGShocker
01-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Strip is referring to the meat they bring you.....
Then I won't go...:D
I found it! Thank you, everyone!!! (http://www.gaslampstripclub.signonsandiego.com/)

Froggystyle
01-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Downtown I have several recommendations. First and foremost is "Mortons" which is my favorite steak. I ate the double Porterhouse the day I graduated SEAL training and it has held a warm spot in my heart since. Pricey and exclusive and definitely reservation required but within your budget without a psycho bottle of wine or anything. Additionally they have a great dessert tray.
Second is a primarily seafood restaraunt, but it is called "The Fish Market" and is right by the convention center. Phenomenal swordfish and Ahi, and everything is very fresh off of their own boats to a large degree. Raw bar there as well. There are two restaurants in the same building, one called the "Top of the Market" which is upscale and dressy, and the regular restaurant downstairs which is a little more low key. I recommend upstairs for the view and service.
As was said before, the Gaslamp Strip Club is awesome. You actually grill your own steaks, which can lead to less then desireable results as I found out, but it is a great conversation piece because their entire menu is full of plays on words like the title.
Mortons is a bit franchised, so if you want a slightly more San Diego atmosphere you can basically go around the corner to "Lou and Mickey's" which I have heard great things about but never gone to. Another I am going to likely try this weekend for my 9th wedding anniversary is "The Palm" also in downtown which is supposed to rock.
I have about a dozen phenomenal restaraunts in the area that I would recommend highly, but only those few are in downtown. I know someone at all of them, and can make a call for you if need be.
Call me if you need anything else, (619) 823-5643. Good luck!

ROZ
01-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Bucca De Beppa I think it's on 5th and E ... Walking distance from Convention center.

ROZ
01-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Just saw the type of dining you want.. bucca is italian... I like Wes' second choice. The fish market... It too is fairly close...

Steamin' Rice
01-19-2006, 04:23 PM
The San Diego locals will know more places than me, but I have had dinner at Peohe's on Coronado Island a few times and it was good. I know you are looking for something near the convention center, but you can pick up a water taxi near the convention center and they will take you over to Peohe's.. http://www.peohes.com/

tamalewagon
01-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Downtown I have several recommendations. First and foremost is "Mortons" which is my favorite steak. I ate the double Porterhouse the day I graduated SEAL training and it has held a warm spot in my heart since. Pricey and exclusive and definitely reservation required but within your budget without a psycho bottle of wine or anything. Additionally they have a great dessert tray.
Second is a primarily seafood restaraunt, but it is called "The Fish Market" and is right by the convention center. Phenomenal swordfish and Ahi, and everything is very fresh off of their own boats to a large degree. Raw bar there as well. There are two restaurants in the same building, one called the "Top of the Market" which is upscale and dressy, and the regular restaurant downstairs which is a little more low key. I recommend upstairs for the view and service.
As was said before, the Gaslamp Strip Club is awesome. You actually grill your own steaks, which can lead to less then desireable results as I found out, but it is a great conversation piece because their entire menu is full of plays on words like the title.
Mortons is a bit franchised, so if you want a slightly more San Diego atmosphere you can basically go around the corner to "Lou and Mickey's" which I have heard great things about but never gone to. Another I am going to likely try this weekend for my 9th wedding anniversary is "The Palm" also in downtown which is supposed to rock.
I have about a dozen phenomenal restaraunts in the area that I would recommend highly, but only those few are in downtown. I know someone at all of them, and can make a call for you if need be.
Got to agree with Froggy on Top of the Fish Market...also want to add a few such as Flemings which rivals Mortons, Rainwaters is a phenominal chop house, Indigo Grill for a little more "hip" atmosphere but unbelievable food, or the always popular Ruths Chris with another spectacular view. You pretty much can't miss with any of the choices mentioned in all the responses.

ClownRoyal
01-19-2006, 04:46 PM
You left out Dick's Last Resort :yuk:

riverroyal
01-19-2006, 05:19 PM
in balboa park,great food.

Mandelon
01-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Wes has made some good recommendations. There is a brazilian place on 4th I think, that is within walking distance of the Center. It has fresh meat of all varieties brought to your table on skewers. They give you a shaker looking thing for your table. It is green on one side and red on the other. Green up, they bring you meat. Red up they stop. Until you turn it back over, of course.
Steak, Filet mignon, lamb, chicken, ham, everything. They have a salad and veggie bar, but the fun is the slicing the fresh slabs of goodness of the skewers right onto your plate.
Ruth's Criss has a nice view, as does the Fish Market.
G5 might be the call though. Its owned by the guys who do Georges at the Cove in La Jolla. Its on 5th. It used to be a Wyatt Earp saloon I think.
G5-Georges on Fifth Menu Sample
(This is a sample menu only and the menu items and prices may vary)
DINNER MENU
APPETIZERS
$ 12.00 Dungeness Crab Cakes
Served with roasted red bell pepper cream and fresh cilantro.
$ 14.00 Today’s Fresh Oysters
Served on the half-shell with cocktail sauce and cucumber vinaigrette -or-Broiled with cilantro pesto, sun dried tomato and feta cheese.
$ 10.00 Shrimp Cocktail
Served with avocado and cucumber cocktail sauce.
$ 10.00 Panko Fried Shrimp
Served with thai peanut sauce, cilantro oil and crisp wonton strings.
$ 8.00 Grilled Portobello Mushroom
Marinated in peppered vodka with spinach, bacon and grilled onions in a roasted tomato mushroom jus.
$ 7.00 Artichoke (seasonal)
Steamed and served with drawn butter and garlic mayonaise.
$ 12.00 Tower of Tropical Tuna Tartare
Served with hoisin glaze, citrus ponzu broth and tropical fruit salsa.
$ 12.00 Beef Carpaccio
Served paper-thin with truffle oil, balsamic syrup, bitter greens and shaved parmesan.
$ 12.00 Maine Lobster “Martini”
Marinated in peppered vodka with avocado, cucumber cocktail sauce and “Martini” olives.
$ 6.00 Roasted Tomato Bruschetta
Served on thick slices of black olive bread with basil oil and shaved parmesan.
SOUPS
$ 12.00 California Seafood Bisque
Served with sherry wine and poppy seed fleuron.
$ 8.00 Creamy wild Mushroom Soup
Served with truffled risotto and crisp leeks.
$ 6.00 Chef’s Soup of the Day
SALADS
$ 7.00 Young Spring Greens
With caramelized toasted walnuts, red grapes, tomatoes and feta cheese, tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette.
$ 8.00 Caesar Salad
With hearts of romaine spears, croutons and shaved parmesan, tossed in a classic caesar dressing. With grilled chicken, $14
$ 9.00 Spinach Salad
With grilled onions, shiitake mushrooms, bacon and smoked vermont cheddar, tossed in a sherry-dijon vinaigrette.
$ 9.00 Beefsteak Tomato and Maui Onion
With crumbled roquefort and shallots in a balsamic vinaigrette.
$ 9.00 Vine-Ripened Tomato Salad
With fresh buffalo mozzarella, shaved onion, basil oil and balsamic syrup.
$ 16.00 Maine Lobster Salad
With baby arugula, avocado, oyster mushrooms and yukon gold potato straws, tossed in a white truffle chardonnay dressing.
IRRESISTIBLE DISHES
$ 45.00 Surf & Turf
6 oz. USDA Prime Filet Mignon - 6/7 oz. Lobster Tail
$ 34.00 Prime Rib
16 oz. cut - Friday & Saturday only
ENTREES
$ 45.00 Prime Filet Mignon - Certified Angus Beef® • 8oz. cut
With port wine demi-glace, fingerling potatoes, roquefort, leeks and spinach shiitake ragout. (12 oz. cut, $64)
$ 49.00 Prime New York Strip - Certified Angus Beef® • 12oz. cut
With Jack Daniel’s demi-glace, wild rice pepper dust, fingerling potatoes, leeks and sliced beefsteak tomatoes. (16 oz. cut, $64)
$ 39.00 Natural Certified Angus Beef® - New York Strip 12 oz. cut
With seasonal organic vegetables. The finest "breed specific" natural beef available from cattle that have never been given antibiotics, hormones or animal by-products
$ 34.00 Certified Angus Beef® Filet Mignon • 8oz. cut
With seasonal vegetables, leeks and fingerling potatoes. (12 oz. cut, $40)
$ 36.00 Certified Angus Beef® New York Strip - 12oz. cut
With seasonal vegetables, leeks and fingerling potatoes. (16 oz. cut, $44)
$ 44.00 Certified Angus Beef® Porterhouse Steak• 22 oz. cut
With roasted tomatillo sauce, leeks and served with our black bean goat cheese cake.
$ 30.00 Certified Angus Beef® Grilled Rib Eye Steak • 14 oz. cut
With seasonal vegetables, leeks and fingerling potatoes.
$ 26.00 Certified Angus Beef® Top Sirloin Steak • 10 oz. cut
Rum-Brined with mango salsa, grilled pineapple and plantain.
$ 28.00 Grilled Pork Chop… “George’s Favorite” • Double-Thick 14 oz.cut
With ginger hoisin BBQ sauce, sweet potato mash, saffron dijon drizzle and shiitake corn relish. (10 oz. cut, $22)
$ 32.00 Grilled Porterhouse of Veal • 14 oz. cut
With wild mushroom marsala demi-glace, whole grain mustard spatzle noodles and spinach ragout.
$ 34.00 Pan-seared Rack of Colorado Lamb • 12 oz. cut
With red curry plum demi-glace, pistachio couscous, organic watercress and apple cucumber mint relish.
$ 26.00 Moscovy Duck Breast
With sun dried cranberry cabernet sauce and scallion laced wild rice cake.
$ 18.00 Free Range Chicken Breast
With sherry wine reduction, roasted tomato gnocchi and baby arugula.
$ 16.00 Six Onion Risotto
With kalamata olive burgundy demi-glace, fresh rosemary, asparagus, sun dried tomato and feta cheese.
$ 16.00 Stir-Fry Seasonal Vegetables
Served with shiitake mushrooms, asparagus, Baby Bok Choy, water chestnuts, broccoli, carrots and snow peas in a teriyaki sauce with fried or steam rice.
$ 24.00 Salmon
Sauteed with coriander crust, sun dried cherry fennel relish, basil oil and montrachet risotto.
$ 28.00 Sushi-Grade Ahi
Flash seared with hoisin glaze, fried rice, tropical fruit salsa, cilantro oil and crisp wonton strings.
$ 28.00 Jumbo Sea Scallops
Pan seared with wild rice dust, sun dried tomato tapenade, green goddess dressing, organic watercress and new potatoes.
$ 26.00 Swordfish
Grilled with caramelized red onions and Porcini Risotto.
$ 26.00 Halibut
Grilled with chipotle tomato sauce, jalapeno corn cake, goat cheese risotto, avocado, cilantro oil, toasted pepitas and tortilla confetti.
$ 28.00 Linguini with Maine Lobster
With tomato, garlic, onion, basil and feta cheese, tossed in a white wine lemon sauce.
$ 14.00 Pasta Selections
Linguini, fettuccini, rotelli, penne or angel hair pasta with your choice of alfredo or marinara sauce. With grilled chicken or salmon, $17
STEAK SIDES
$ 12.00 organic vegetables
$ 5.00 finglerling potatoes
$ 5.00 shoestring fries
$ 5.00 baked potato
$ 6.00 seasonal vegetables
$ 7.00 asparagus

OGShocker
01-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Thank you guys, VERY much!
You hit me up at the LA Boat Show( Dana Booth)! Beers, Sodas and Cocktails are on me!

ROZ
01-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Damn... I forgot about Georges..... :) Milf's :D

OGShocker
01-19-2006, 06:26 PM
Damn... I forgot about Georges..... :) Milf's :D
Oh, I'll be going to G5. I'd be on my way now if it wasn't two hours away! :cry:
Our friends need to walk to the restaurant or it would be top of their list too.
Thanks again!!!

Mandelon
01-19-2006, 07:50 PM
I ate there when it was Roger's place and it was really good. On the way up you will pass by Ole Madrid, we did the rehab on that place a couple years ago. They have 3 levels, a bar on each level, its good for cocktails afterwards.
Here's a review of Georges. 835 5th Avenue San Diego CA 92101 619) 702-0444
Restaurant Profile
By Melanie Novak
For SignOnSanDiego
Georges on Fifth (or G5 if you're a hipster) can impress its guests even before they walk through the door. This local, not-a-chain steakhouse is located in what's easily the most memorable structure in the Gaslamp Quarter: the 1888 Louis Bank building with its ornate Victorian architecture and distinctive twin towers. There may be a better view from across the street, but plenty of gawkers end up at an elegantly appointed table in Georges' multileveled dining room or on the lively patio.
The classic menu features Prime certified Angus beef, veal and double-thick, grilled pork chops. Executive chef Jose Kelley, formerly of Rainwater's on Kettner and Cafe Pacifica, likes seafood as well, from scallops and fresh fish selections to the Maine lobster martini appetizer and the sushi-grade ahi with hoisin glaze.
The fresh oysters would make former San Diegan Wyatt Earp happy; he owned an oyster bar on the spot and the menu pays him tribute. (Reportedly there was also a famous brothel here, The Golden Poppy, but that's another story). You can reserve the Wyatt Earp Room for private parties of up to 24 guests.
Grammy-nominated pianist Tom Barabas is in the house Wednesday through Saturday.
Georges on Fifth was formerly Roger's on Fifth, for ex-San Diego mayor and conservative talk show host Roger Hedgecock, who has since sold out to partner George Harrington III.

RP1
01-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Seriously, the name of the restaurant is "The Strip Club", it's not a tittie bar, I'll find it for you, would make for great conversation around then table then who knows what that would lead to, maybe a member of the "B" cut here on HB...
Cool place and cool match-book covers as well. :D

Froggystyle
01-20-2006, 12:40 PM
All of these are great. I haven't been to G5 since it was Rogers, but I have heard great things.
The Brazillian joint you are talking about is called "Rei do Gado" and does kick ass, but I was keeping the theme of seafood and steaks in mind.
Ruths Chris, Flemings, Indigo Grill etc... all are not in the Convention center area. All are favorites, but all would be quite a walk.
There is so much food downtown it isn't funny. If you want to venture out a little, I can come up with probably 20 seriously phenomenal local eateries in SD... all we do is eat out as luck would have it. (No kids !!!!)
Adams Avenue Grill, Gulf Coast Grill, Busalaccis, Taste of Italy, Azul, Donovans, Georges, Rainwaters, Marine Room, Peohes, etc...
One of my very favorite spots that we ate at all the time when Audrey and I lived in Coronado is called "Il Fornaio" and rocks ferociously.

tamalewagon
01-20-2006, 01:07 PM
All of these are great. I haven't been to G5 since it was Rogers, but I have heard great things.
The Brazillian joint you are talking about is called "Rei do Gado" and does kick ass, but I was keeping the theme of seafood and steaks in mind.
Ruths Chris, Flemings, Indigo Grill etc... all are not in the Convention center area. All are favorites, but all would be quite a walk.
There is so much food downtown it isn't funny. If you want to venture out a little, I can come up with probably 20 seriously phenomenal local eateries in SD... all we do is eat out as luck would have it. (No kids !!!!)
Adams Avenue Grill, Gulf Coast Grill, Busalaccis, Taste of Italy, Azul, Donovans, Georges, Rainwaters, Marine Room, Peohes, etc...
One of my very favorite spots that we ate at all the time when Audrey and I lived in Coronado is called "Il Fornaio" and rocks ferociously.
They put in a Flemings a few years back right across the street from the Convention Center. Great wine list too! That was my first experience with Flemings and it was delicious! Just thought you might like to know in case you ever had a hankerin' for Flemings while you're downtown. =)

Froggystyle
01-20-2006, 01:16 PM
They put in a Flemings a few years back right across the street from the Convention Center. Great wine list too! That was my first experience with Flemings and it was delicious! Just thought you might like to know in case you ever had a hankerin' for Flemings while you're downtown. =)
Well damn... new top of the list downtown I guess....
Flemings it is! But you will be breaking your $50 limit with drinks with ease. Probably the best steak in San Diego though... at least the one in La Jolla is.

EFFER
01-20-2006, 01:57 PM
The strip club is owned by the same owner as these http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/cohn/cohnrestaurants/
ALL very good
Island Prime is the most recent and nicest
we do all of their work and i would reccomend all of them