PDA

View Full Version : How is Magic Johnson still alive?

grads2112
10-26-2006, 08:26 PM
I was just flippining through the channels and caught Magic on the Oprah show (I know she's lame) and he looks damn good for having caught the HIV virus over 15 years ago. Is it because he's got deep pockets or he's a rare case or the drugs have just gotten that much better? It just seems when most people get it its a death sentence. Props to him.

djunkie
10-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Thats just it. He has the Virus and not Aids. Yet. I'm sure the meds he can afford are a big part of it but unless they find a cure eventually it will turn into aids.

grads2112
10-26-2006, 08:31 PM
I understand the difference between HIV and AIDS, it just seems most people after having the HIV virus would have turned into AIDS by now. 15 years is a long time.

djunkie
10-26-2006, 08:32 PM
I understand the difference between HIV and AIDS, it just seems most people after having the HIV virus would have turned into AIDS by now. 15 years is a long time.
Well from what I remember being taught in school, it reacts different towards everyone. I'm sure the meds he can afford have to be slowing it down.

Donttreadonme
10-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Money!

Richie Rich
10-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Seems like he's damn near purchased the cure to HIV/Aids. I think he's fathered something like 2 kids SINCE announcing he was HIV+. Ol' Tommy "Da Duke" Morrison is still around also.

Kilrtoy
10-26-2006, 08:44 PM
The word is
IT WAS THE GREATEST HOAX PULLED ON THE WORLD, MAGIC NEVER HAD HIV let ALONE AIDS
He was paid ALOT OF MONEY TO MAKE HIS CLAIMS, in the hopes of educating the public, That is how he is still alive

Tom Brown
10-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Even more perplexing, how is RD still alive?
http://www.CarlsonSpeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/davestable.jpg

DILLIGAF
10-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Thats just it. He has the Virus and not Aids. Yet. I'm sure the meds he can afford are a big part of it but unless they find a cure eventually it will turn into aids.
Not always the case Don. There are many people that are HIV positive that haven't had it turn to full blown aids. With the more intricate testing many that showed negative in the past are now showing up positive. It really comes down to many exposures over time for some. Some HIV strains (if you will) are weaker than others. A lot goes into this stuff.

DILLIGAF
10-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Seems like he's damn near purchased the cure to HIV/Aids. I think he's fathered something like 2 kids SINCE announcing he was HIV+. Ol' Tommy "Da Duke" Morrison is still around also.
There is no "cure". Just because you are HIV positive doesn't mean your child will have HIV positive tests.

DILLIGAF
10-26-2006, 08:55 PM
The word is
IT WAS THE GREATEST HOAX PULLED ON THE WORLD, MAGIC NEVER HAD HIV let ALONE AIDS
He was paid ALOT OF MONEY TO MAKE HIS CLAIMS, in the hopes of educating the public, That is how he is still alive
Please......

Kilrtoy
10-26-2006, 08:59 PM
f ing brilliant .... is he really alive ?? anyone heard from him ??? and killer, you probably know of the fourth gunman that night in texas huh ???
If there was a fourth gunman that day in texas we would have WON THE ALAMO

Richie Rich
10-26-2006, 09:03 PM
There is no "cure". Just because you are HIV positive doesn't mean your child will have HIV positive tests.
I didn't mean my previous comments literally. I know there isn't a cure and he could have had 100 kids without even one turning up HIV positive but I do think his "position" made care and treatments available to him that certainly have aided his longevity.

HCS
10-26-2006, 09:05 PM
he has "hiv" not "aids" ..... google it and educate yourself :cool: , plus being a multi-millionaire doesn't hurt either :rolleyes: keyes
Bon Jovi is the same. He's HIV positive. Not AIDS.
There carriers.
Kinda like Robbin Williams. He has Herpes.

DILLIGAF
10-26-2006, 09:09 PM
I didn't mean my previous comments literally. I know there isn't a cure and he could have had 100 kids without even one turning up HIV positive but I do think his "position" made care and treatments available to him that certainly have aided his longevity.
I understand....and agree with you. Most do not have the resources to get the type of treatment required. Magic is also in a position to "try" experimental type treatments that someone with insurance would not be able to get covered. Yes, deep pockets are always an issue when it come to proper healthcare. Sad but true.

Richie Rich
10-26-2006, 09:09 PM
I understand....and agree with you. Most do not have the resources to get the type of treatment required. Magic is also in a position to "try" experimental type treatments that someone with insurance would not be able to get covered. Yes, deep pockets are always an issue when it come to proper healthcare. Sad but true.
Could not have said it better.....

HCS
10-26-2006, 09:12 PM
He smokes pot!
Figure it out! He dosen't feel any effects.

Richie Rich
10-26-2006, 09:14 PM
The word is
...the joker that came up with that plan needs to win the nobel peace prize or some shiat because I can remember back when Magic Johnson 1st made the announcement; I was still in college and that next day you couldn't find a drugstore with condoms in stock. A lot of Mofo's changed their habits REAL quick......

DILLIGAF
10-26-2006, 09:16 PM
I would never have a problem playing basketball with Magic. I remember when it came out and then he did his comeback some people (Malone) were hesitant to play with him because of the blood factor. It was just ignorance but not a lot was known about it then. Definitly not with a high profile athelete like Magic.
Medical weed is a real benefit to someone with full blown aids. It helps keep their appetite up and helps with nausea. I have no problem with weed being legal, for medical or just recreational purposes. It does help many Aids patients without a doubt. For the record I do not enjoy the wild weed personally. Don't like it and it does nothing positive for me.

HCS
10-26-2006, 09:17 PM
...the joker that came up with that plan needs to win the nobel peace prize or some shiat because I can remember back when Magic Johnson 1st made the announcement; I was still in college and that next day you couldn't find a drugstore with condoms in stock. A lot of Mofo's changed their habits REAL quick......
The fact that he made it up is stupid.
You funkin Laker fans need to realize it's over!
Micheal J. Fox.

HCS
10-26-2006, 09:21 PM
You guys know that only men can catch AIDS from butt sex?
Not woman!

Richie Rich
10-26-2006, 09:24 PM
The fact that he made it up is stupid.
You funkin Laker fans need to realize it's over!
Micheal J. Fox.
Oh no doubt!!! But growing up and still living in & around our nations capital I can honestly say that I've heard theories that were alot more crazy and/or stupid than this.....
As we all know there are some twisted f^ck'n nutcases in this world......

DILLIGAF
10-26-2006, 09:26 PM
You guys know that only men can catch AIDS from butt sex?
Not woman!
Who told you that? It is about transfering of infected body fluids.

HCS
10-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Oh no doubt!!! But growing up and still living in & around our nations capital I can honestly say that I've heard theories that were alot more crazy and/or stupid than this.....
As we all know there are some twisted f^ck'n nutcases in this world......
Like Magic Johnson?
I just can't help it! :rollside:

BajaMike
10-26-2006, 09:27 PM
I was just flippining through the channels and caught Magic on the Oprah show (I know she's lame) and he looks damn good for having caught the HIV virus over 15 years ago. Is it because he's got deep pockets or he's a rare case or the drugs have just gotten that much better? It just seems when most people get it its a death sentence. Props to him.
He admitted he watches Oprah.....he...he....he....he :idea:
:yuk:

HCS
10-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Who told you that? It is about transfering of infected body fluids.
Butt sex one "O" one in college. They narrowed it down. :rolleyes:

DILLIGAF
10-26-2006, 09:35 PM
Butt sex one "O" one in college. They narrowed it down. :rolleyes:
Well I know you are trying to be funny but you are dead wrong. Put that infected needle from a heroin addict in a womans ass and tell me she isn't at risk.
Basics...transmission of body fluids and different exposures/strains that some people are more resisitant to than others for whatever reason.
One other thing...nobody "catches" AIDS. You become HIV positive and for many (not sure of the % these days but I doubt if it is as high as it used to be) it developes to AIDS. Once you have full blown AIDS it is just a matter of time before some type of infection breaks your body down and does you in.
That is the 101 you should have gotten in college.

HCS
10-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Well I know you are trying to be funny but you are dead wrong. Put that infected needle from a heroin addict in a womans ass and tell me she isn't at risk.
Basics...transmission of body fluids and different exposures/strains that some people are more resisitant to than others for whatever reason.
There is some truth to that fact to a certain extent.
I'm not going to Google it to prove it though. :rolleyes:

DILLIGAF
10-26-2006, 09:49 PM
There is some truth to that fact to a certain extent.
I'm not going to Google it to prove it though. :rolleyes:
Just trying to enlighten some people. Go ahead and google it. Prove to me that transmission of AIDS is different in a womans ass from a mans ass.

HCS
10-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Just trying to enlighten some people.
Which people? :D
Ok, I'm done. :rollside:

DILLIGAF
10-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Which people? :D
Ok, I'm done. :rollside:
I will just quit now myself.......Made my point :)

No Name
10-26-2006, 10:46 PM
so quit it with the "fcuk you in the butt" references, it's making you look stuuppiiddd and chiat :argue:
And a little GAY also. :D :D

ratso
10-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Gin kills all that shit... trust me.

Magic34
10-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Gin kills all that shit... trust me.
Do you pour it on before or after? Wouldn't that burn like hell too? :D

Trailer Park Casanova
10-27-2006, 02:12 AM
Discovery Health Channel did an hour piece on the pro-tease medication that not only will slow down the onset of aids, but with time, gives most, not all patients a negative HIV reading as well.
Magic Johnson was featured along with his
his doctor & were main persons the program was about.
Magic Johnson had negative test results from about 3 months into the program, and decided on his own he was cured, and quit taking the drugs by his own decision.
His HIV then came roaring back and he was one of the few that was able to get back on medication and push the test results back to negative.
When I was single and dipping my wick in various women, I got tested regularly.
Finally they told me if I'm not doing anal sex or drugs, and a few other risky things then I was the least at risk out there, and I should consider stoping the regular testing.
"I was the last guy in the world that might contract it" they told me.
Just my 2 cents.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-27-2006, 02:41 AM
Paul Michael Glasier is asked all the time why his wife and daughter contracted aids and he didn't.
"It's real hard for a straight guy to contract it".
He was saying this from the early days of aids back in the mid 80's.
It's hard to get if ya dip your wick in her coinslot only.

centerhill condor
10-27-2006, 04:49 AM
black women are the fastest growing group for HIV. Have you noticed that therapy for these big diseases; HIV, cancer, MLS etc...keep you from dying but you don't get well? Easy money! we'll keep you well enough to keep buying our stuff.

Dribble
10-27-2006, 06:13 AM
In answer to the original question.
My brother (who is gay strangely enough) was diagnosed with HIV in 1985. At that time it was considered a death sentence. He has bouts of bad health and infection but through the use of the new HIV drug cocktails, he has not contracted full blown AIDS. Contrary to what the special interest groups (the gay lobby etc) have been touting, there have been great advances in treatment.
So the fact that Magic Johnson is still alive shouldn't be a shock to anyone, as he was in great physical condition and has the financial resources to get the best care.

cc322
10-27-2006, 06:21 AM
Bon Jovi is the same. He's HIV positive. Not AIDS.
There carriers.
Nerver have herd that one????where are your facts on this?

cc322
10-27-2006, 06:23 AM
The word is
This is what I had thought the whole time, what better way to educate people

a catered life
10-27-2006, 06:33 AM
he has "hiv" not "aids" ..... google it and educate yourself :cool: , plus being a multi-millionaire doesn't hurt either :rolleyes: keyes
rough but to the point :p

SmokinLowriderSS
10-27-2006, 07:22 AM
The word is
Oh fer christ sakes KT. :rolleyes:
Tell ya what, I'll give ya the bennefit of the doubt on this one and call it "joking", for now.
Bon-Jovi -- As far as having the diseas(es), I am finding nothing, which makes me believe it is untrue.
On the other hand, he has done a HUGE ammount of charity work for a LOT of causes, which includes fund raising ot AIDS research, which is likely where the idea started.
For almost 15 years Jon Bon Jovi has been active in the Special Olympics movement. He has attended scores of competitions around the world, cheered on athletes, presented awards, and over all brought a recognizable superstar face to the organization. He has also served as an inspiring supporter of the "Very Special Christmas" CD initiative, which raises funds for Special Olympics program worldwide. Jon Bon Jovi served as a trustee to the Special Olympics Christmas Record Grant program that focuses on distributing funds raised from the sale of the Christmas album to priority projects around the world. He also participated in Spirit of Special Olympics celebrations in Washington DC in recent years.He continues the work. /source: http://www.backstagejbj.com (older news)/
In 1990 Jon did a gig at Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ to help raise funds for surgery for an 8-yrs old girl Tishna Rollo from New Jersey who was suffering from the rare form of kidney cancer.
Since 1990 Bon Jovi have been doing charity gigs at Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank, New Jersey each Christmas up until 1996.
10th of January, 1990: Bon Jovi participated in the charity show at Hammersmith Odeon in London,UK to benefit Nordoff Robbins Music Therapy organization, which provides treatment for severely disabled children and has both training and research programs.
12th of April 1995: Jon Bon Jovi, avid supporter of environmental causes, performed at 6th Annual Rainforest Benefit Concert in New York City, U.S.A.
10th of October, 1996: Jon & Richie performed at "The Beat Goes On III", a benefit concert for LIFEbeat, the Music Industry Fights AIDS organization.
January, 1998: Jon Bon Jovi & Friends Sgt. King Benefit Concert to raise money for the family of a slain Long Branch, NJ police office;
9th of June, 1998 in Modena, Italy: Jon Bon Jovi joined the "Pavarotti & Friends for Liberia" - great humanitarian concert benefiting children of the war-torn African country of Liberia;
19th of June, 1999: Jon & Dorothea Bon Jovi hosted a long awaited party to benefit The Doug Flutie,JR Foundation for Autism on the grounds of High Point,their new home in Red Bank,New Jersey; http://www.mitglied.lycos.de/BON_JOVI/news.html
David Bryan has been actively involved in VH-1 Save the Music program since the year 2000. He conducted "master classes" at elementary schools in several U.S. cities where he played music, took questions from children about the piano,musical background and his career. (source: Backstage with JBJ, more info at http://www.vh1savethemusic.com)
29th of June, 2000: Bon Jovi performed at Asbury Park benefit show at Convention Hall to benefit the Valerie Fund, The Food Bank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties, and the Kylie Jae Monica Fund (local organizations); http://asburypark.net
26th of March, 2001 : Jon Bon Jovi played a one off charity show in Melbourne, Australia to raise money for State Emergency Services to benefit the flood victims;
5th of September 2001, New York: Jon Bon Jovi joined a benefit concert & dinner to raise money for mayoral candidate Mark Green a week before primary election.
In days following the terrorist attack of 11th September,2001: Jon Bon Jovi & Richie Sambora participated in public service announcements for Red Cross on VH-1;
15th of September, 2001: Bon Jovi joined "America:Tribute to Heroes" Telethon (it's been aired on 18th September);
11th of October 2001: Jon Bon Jovi & Richie Sambora performed at City Of Hope Spirit of Life Award Dinner in Universal Studios, CA to benefit the City of Hope National Medical Center & Beckman Institute, which is a research & treatment center for cancer, diabetes, HIV/AIDS & other diseases.
18th & 19th October, 2001: Bon Jovi performed at two charity shows at Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank, New Jersey to raise monies to benefit families in the Monmouth County area affected by the terrorist attack on WTC of September 11th;
20th of October, 2001: Bon Jovi join "The Concert For New York" to benefit Robin Hood Relief Fund estabilished by Robin Hood Foundation & Twin Towers Fund created by Mayor R.Giuliani, rasing money for the victims of the 11th September terrorist attacks in the USA;
12th of December, 2001 Universal City,Los Angeles ,California: Bon Jovi participated in Elton John Aids Foundation Benefit Concert , commemorating the 20th Aniversary of The Discovery Of AIDS Virus to raise money for treatment & reasearch into Aids.

Dribble
10-27-2006, 07:26 AM
The word is
That's ridiculouls.
First of all, the guy was already a zillionaire. He didn't need anymore money.
I personally know several people that have had HIV for years. They waterski (like my brother) play tennis, run marathons and look perfectly healthy. Magic Johnson has HIV and will probably live anither 20-30 years. I have also known people that get the same course of treatment and end up with cancer and other diseases (because of the HIV) and die.

Aqua Boogie1
10-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Just trying to enlighten some people. Go ahead and google it. Prove to me that transmission of AIDS is different in a womans ass from a mans ass.
You have done your research!!! Im happy to see that. I think that when people do read and study just alittle bit about HIV/AIDS, they become alittle more aware and open minded about what this is and how it can affect you if you are not/are safe.
Doug
PS. Have a close friend who is hiv pos.

HCS
10-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Nerver have herd that one????where are your facts on this?
Don't have any. :rolleyes:
About 16 years ago I saw Bon Jovi at the Shore Line in CA.
Right before that concert it was stated on one of the local rock radio stations
that Bon Jovi had been diagnosed with AIDS.
Later that month it was restated that he did not have full blown AIDS but
that he was HIV positive. A carrier.
True or not? hell I don't know. Radio rumor.
Ran it on snopes. Nothing.

grads2112
10-27-2006, 09:20 AM
That's ridiculouls.
First of all, the guy was already a zillionaire. He didn't need anymore money.
I personally know several people that have had HIV for years. They waterski (like my brother) play tennis, run marathons and look perfectly healthy. Magic Johnson has HIV and will probably live anither 20-30 years. I have also known people that get the same course of treatment and end up with cancer and other diseases (because of the HIV) and die.
Hey Dribble, Thanks for your insight and I hope your bro has a long life ahead of him.

Kilrtoy
10-27-2006, 09:44 AM
I can't beleive NO ONE ELSE ever heard this RUMOR, I really dont care about Magic, But the HIV/AIDS epidemic is very serious....

ratso
10-27-2006, 10:01 AM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3036libfur2004-med.jpg
It even gets the great ones... :rolleyes:

a catered life
10-27-2006, 10:22 AM
wow we went from magic johnson to women and men's ass :confused: :rolleyes:

SnakeWrench
10-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Magic is still alive because he doesn't come on Hot boat and get his system filled with crap. lol

SCUBA STEVE
10-27-2006, 01:33 PM
My "X-FILES" take on it is, Magic is cured and the cure for the disease is out there. The government just regulates it and uses various diseases for population control.

Riverless
10-27-2006, 01:39 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3036libfur2004-med.jpg
It even gets the great ones... :rolleyes:
LOL, Liberace was the first concert I ever went to, with my grandmother, and cousin must have been about 30 years ago, at the Valley Forge Music Fair in Valley Forge, PA. We were 4 rows from the stage, he came right up to us and showed us his rings. Me and my cousin laughed and made fun of him the entire way to the show, but let me tell ya, he put on a hell of a concert, was a great time. :)

Dribble
10-27-2006, 01:42 PM
My "X-FILES" take on it is, Magic is cured and the cure for the disease is out there. The government just regulates it and uses various diseases for population control.
Would that be just the US government or the governments of every other developed nation in the world ??

SmokinLowriderSS
10-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Would that be just the US government or the governments of every other developed nation in the world ??
The US has the cure, but won't give it out to the other govts.