PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Injection Help

78Eliminator
06-17-2003, 09:20 AM
I need some questions answered. I am completely new to mechanical fuel injection and I just bought a kit off e-bay and need to know how to get started. Here are some questions to get me going:
1. The setup I bought is a hilborn 3203 that was setup for alcohol. To covert it back to gas do I need to change the nozzles or pills or both?
2. How many "pills" do I need to change? From what I understand, there are two. One in the junction block and one in the return line in the quick disconnect fitting.
3. What size pills should I use to start with? This is going in a 454 BBC with oval port heads.
4. If I need to change nozzles, what size do I need?
5. The fuel pump that came with the kit drives off the cam. Hilborn sells a timing cover with a hole, what else do I need to mate the pump with the cam?
Thanks guys!!!!!

Blown 472
06-17-2003, 09:23 AM
A bigger sack to drive it cuz it is going to fly.

78Eliminator
06-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Blown 472:
A bigger sack to drive it cuz it is going to fly. No problem there.
No brains, no pain and foot to the floor.....

GofastRacer
06-17-2003, 09:37 AM
You have a pic of this stuff, don't recognize that number??. You will have to change nozzles and use different pills for gas, probably have reshim the low speed also. A pic would help a lot if you could post one or e-mail it to me!. :)

78Eliminator
06-17-2003, 09:54 AM
Here are some pics:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/455hilborn2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/455hilborn1.jpg

Jet Junk
06-17-2003, 03:39 PM
Justin, you need to change the pill and the nozzles. There should only be 1 pill for the main bypass. You may have another pill for the hi speed bypass to meter the fuel returning when the bypass opens. Not sure where you should start with pills or nozzles. As for the cam drive, there is an adapter that bolts to the camshaft sprocket and a hex shaft that drives the pump. When you bolt the pump on, make sure the shaft dosen't bottom out in the pump. It looks like the pump is set up for belt drive and not cam drive, so it won't be spinning the right way. You can change this by unbolting the plate off the pump and rotating it 180*. Stacks are way cool, but they can be tempermental and it can be a pain to set up a used set. I would suggest sending every piece to kinsler fuel injection and tell them what you got. This way you know the throttle shafts are straight, the barrel valve isn't scarred, the thottle plates aren't bent or worn and the pump is working good. It will save you alot of potential headaches.
[ June 17, 2003, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Jet Junk ]

Kurtis500
06-17-2003, 06:10 PM
78eliminator, I just set-up my Hilborn about 3 months ago and took it racing. Has to be the simplest system made. Mine is the upright 4-hole blower injector, but I think its the same. The best advice I could give is to call Hilborn and talk to thier tech guys. They will tell you what is best for your set-up in reference to the main by-pass and high speed by-pass(if you need it), and of course give you the nozzle and pill sizes you need. I just bought them straight from Hilborn instead of trying to shop around for used stuff. The price is the cheap and it is new equipment. I went opposite of you and switched to alcohol from gas. They recommended 108 nozzles and pill ranges from 40-80. They were right on, even when I cross-checked the math from the book the set-up they recommended was accurate(advice was free too). I bought the fuel injection book off HRE.com and it is a LOAD of help too, especially if you plan to run any range of nitro later on...which I do :D
Be sure to check the bolt hole alignments when you get a timing chain cover or, in my case, and extension. My cover and extension had a different hole pattern. I had to put the extension on my mill and make my own holes. This might be a part to also get from them, or carefully shop for used equipment.

MikeF
06-17-2003, 08:25 PM
Justin, There is a guy located in Lake Forest by the name of Ralph Gorr who pretty much knows his way around mech fuel injector systems. I do not have his #. I'll ask a buddy at work if he has it. I think that Superdave013 has his # too. PM him! :cool:
When you think your going to let go of the setup.....I want it :D .

superdave013
07-16-2003, 06:07 PM
MikeF:
Justin, There is a guy located in Lake Forest by the name of Ralph Gorr who pretty much knows his way around mech fuel injector systems. I do not have his #. I'll ask a buddy at work if he has it. I think that Superdave013 has his # too. PM him! :cool:
When you think your going to let go of the setup.....I want it :D . Yup, Gorr set up my system. It was a long time ago and I don't have his # handy. It's in the back of any National Dragster if you have a copy.
I would not even think about running it until someone flows it and gets you in the ball park.
Hilborn would also be a geat place to take it as they are also local.
Kinsler is in the Mid West but it just might be worth shipping it to them. They do great work and have parts for all the different brands of injectors. Even if you don't send it to then you must get their catolag as it's full of great info that you will need to know.
My system is an Enderly so it could be different. But I would not be supprised if you need to change the spool in the barrel valve also.

LUVNLIFE
07-17-2003, 03:52 AM
Ralph Gorr 949-859-2359 or 949-859-9443.
23992 Plant Ave. Mission Viejo

Infomaniac
07-17-2003, 05:32 AM
I see a quick change main bypass and a diaphram high speed. What is that thing in the hose to the barrel valve? A filter? Also looks like a circle race or drag race bypass coming out from the center of the manifold. Could be a check valve.
[ July 17, 2003, 06:34 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

GofastRacer
07-17-2003, 07:57 AM
The round dealio is a filter and the bypass from the barrel valve is the low speed!. wink

Infomaniac
07-17-2003, 08:05 AM
The low speed for when you close the throttle but the engine is still pumping like crazy?
Use those on sprint cars also when you let off to set up for the turn.

GofastRacer
07-17-2003, 08:30 AM
You got it!.. wink