PDA

View Full Version : Did I just screw up my 496HO?

Sotally Tober
10-28-2006, 08:43 AM
I feel like an idiot. While fogging my engine for winter the plastic nozzle on the can was sucked into the intake. Like the red one on a can of WD40. I intantly turned it off. No bad sound. I do not see it in the bottom of the intake. Tried a shop vac and a small piece of wire with no luck. Should I tear it down to find that it has gone through? What would/could happen if it did?

SummitKarl
10-28-2006, 08:48 AM
I feel like an idiot. While fogging my engine for winter the plastic nozzle on the can was sucked into the intake. Like the red one on a can of WD40. I intantly turned it off. No bad sound. I do not see it in the bottom of the intake. Tried a shop vac and a small piece of wire with no luck. Should I tear it down to find that it has gone through? What would/could happen if it did?
doubt it, the motor should process the plastic tip just fine, It could hang up on a valve seat or regap a plug for you . my guess is one good rev shot and it will pop out the exhaust

ratso
10-28-2006, 08:50 AM
my guess is one good rev shot and it will pop out the exhaust
Tom is the expert on those types of things... Oh wait... we're talking motors here. :idea:

AngryJosh
10-28-2006, 08:54 AM
Agreed. If the motor was already running, then it probably already got slightly melted and processed by the engine. Give it a good rev and forget about it. If you hear any weird ticking, then it could have hung a valve opened and got kissed by the piston.

SummitKarl
10-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Tom is the expert on those types of things... Oh wait... we're talking motors here. :idea:
LMAO...oops "butt cheek clinch" something a bit other than air :rollside:

Sotally Tober
10-28-2006, 08:57 AM
I just talked to an engine builder and he sai the same things you guys have said. I sure in hell wont do that agian.

CARLSON-JET
10-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Your not the first person to drop something into an intake. I knew a guy who dropped a a dime into a 454. ( I don't know how this came to be) Believe it or not it actually passed through. He was freaked about it so we tore it down. The dime never left a mark. IMO that little plastic tube will get chopped by the intake valve and burn up in the cylinder. I dont think it will create a clearance problem. The motor might sputter for a brief second but I doubt you would notice. If your that worried.. pull the intake. if you find it good. if it's in the cylinder already.. put the intake back on. I think I have a new intake gasket kit. you could tell me if this is it and it's yours for shipping. will post a pic soon.

I DIG IT !
10-28-2006, 12:08 PM
LAMO what a half asser!!! Is that what mike told you?? It cant be that bad. It should melt. I dont think that it will do anything. The thing is, are you going to find out next year???? See you in a bit at the big mans party.

Sotally Tober
10-28-2006, 12:43 PM
He said no problem. It actually happened to him once. Makes me feel a little better. Still wish it did not happen.

Moneypitt
10-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Pull the plugs out and look into the cylinders with a light. You may just see it and be able to retreve it. If you don't see it, cycle the engine over a few times, you shouldn't hurt anything, and you may get a lot of piece of mind by finding that little piece of plastic.......MP

wsuwrhr
10-28-2006, 12:56 PM
I think the same, fire it up and give it a couple good revs. At .400 or more left the nozzle will find its way into the engine and become fuel.
The piston should smash it pretty good against the head. Plastic is butter compared to metal. A cycle or two and it is on its way out the exhaust.
One of the cheapest lessions you'll learn.
Brian

Sotally Tober
10-28-2006, 01:55 PM
I think once it was in the piston it would be fine. I worried about getting through a valve. I worry about a valve seat.

wsuwrhr
10-28-2006, 01:57 PM
I think once it was in the piston it would be fine. I worried about getting through a valve. I worry about a valve seat.
I am sure the lift is over .400. The cap will pass thru.
Give it a couple good revs and everything will be fine.
Brian

Beer-30
10-28-2006, 03:07 PM
I would bet it went out in the small amount of time it took you to get to the key and shut it down. Don't sweat it.

Tom Brown
10-28-2006, 03:15 PM
I sent a red nozzle extension tube through a boat engine. It went right through. I never found it.
I think that a device designed to handle thousands of explosions per second can devour a small piece of plastic without much trouble.

Beer-30
10-28-2006, 03:21 PM
I sent a red nozzle extension tube through a boat engine. It went right through. I never found it.
I think that a device designed to handle thousands of explosions per second can devour a small piece of plastic without much trouble.
.....and do it rather quickly.