PDA

View Full Version : keep your hands off the rhino roll bar when rolling

havabeer
10-28-2006, 08:49 PM
A friend of mine was driving his rhino around the block when suddenly he spins wildly out of control. He sticks his hand out of the roll bar and tears the hell out of his left hand...smashed two of his fingers flat....
keep your hands off the rhino roll bar when rolling
truth be known...a bluehair cut him off at a dead end on his street(challenger) so it was either take evasive action or else...\
and the bitch didnt even stop...
he called me on the cell with his other hand...he ended up getting airshipped
to vegas....he'll be okay. but as for the rhino......
more pics to follow
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/3740Rhino1-med.jpg

RitcheyRch
10-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Ouch

SHOTKALLIN
10-28-2006, 08:52 PM
gee thanks for the advice. wish your buddy a speedy recovery

djunkie
10-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Wrists restraints are sounding like a good idea to me right now.

boatnam2
10-28-2006, 09:20 PM
dont own a rhino and have never driven one before,but evertime i see one i tell myself first thing i would put on is a window/door net.

playdeep
10-28-2006, 09:53 PM
A set of sprint car style arm restraints...would fix that....
You don't lose any range of motion,and they will keep you're arms from flailing outside of the cage...

HocusPocus
10-28-2006, 09:57 PM
thats gotta hurt.. hope he gets some good pain meds. :) i saw a guy at el mirage back in the late 70's lose an arm rolling a buggy.

MikeF
10-29-2006, 05:26 AM
Looks like those roll cages are pretty good at messing things up!
Might want to add some "Oh Shit" grab handles to those cages.
Kinda reminds me of those famous last words.....Hold my beer and watch this. :220v:
Damn that's gotta hurt. Get well.

91nordic29
10-29-2006, 06:10 AM
that thread needs a warning. that made me feel faint..... :squiggle:

racecar.hotshoe
10-29-2006, 06:14 AM
i only see 3 of 5 digits, where are the others ??? :cry:
Dean I think his other digits are there but being this is ***boat hes giving the shocker......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TCHB
10-29-2006, 07:38 AM
Time to get a Jeep

wsuwrhr
10-29-2006, 08:30 AM
That's too bad, glad he is OK.
Common injury in sand rails too.
I think Yamaha will have a new outlook on high CG vehicles soon.
Brian

Moneypitt
10-29-2006, 08:41 AM
It should be mentioned that roll bars do not work in the sand. The bar will just sink into the soft sand leaving the occupants head/neck to absorb the weight of the vehicle. A flat piece needs to be added to creat a bigger "footprint" in the sand........Be careful out there off roading...MP

wsuwrhr
10-29-2006, 08:46 AM
Yes sir.
It should be mentioned that roll bars do not work in the sand. The bar will just sink into the soft sand leaving the occupants head/neck to absorb the weight of the vehicle. A flat piece needs to be added to creat a bigger "footprint" in the sand........Be careful out there off roading...MP

TCHB
10-29-2006, 08:49 AM
The sand advice is great.
I hope the injured has a good recovery. A hand injury like that is complicated due to all the movements of the hand.

jbone
10-29-2006, 09:28 AM
that thread needs a warning. that made me feel faint..... :squiggle:
I agree, I was eating a carne asada burrito when I viewed this post.
I was still able to finish, but the warning would have been nice.
J

ratso
10-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Hopefully he's ambidextrious... :idea:

GHT
10-29-2006, 01:56 PM
That's it!!!! When I get my Rhino I'm taking off the roll bars, that way it won't be so top heavy..
Hope you friend is going to be okay, the hand looks bad...

djunkie
10-29-2006, 01:57 PM
That's it!!!! When I get my Rhino I'm taking off the roll bars, that way it won't be so top heavy..
So your gonna take off the roll bar to protect your hands? :confused: :confused:

2Driver
10-29-2006, 04:09 PM
A friend of mine was driving his rhino around the block when suddenly he spins wildly out of control. ]
Hope his hands heals ok. Seriously, how does a Rhino "suddenly spin wildly out of control"? I assume there was either some driver issues or mechanical?

djunkie
10-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Hope his hands heals ok. Seriously, how does a Rhino "suddenly spin wildly out of control"? I assume there was either some driver issues or mechanical?
I was kinda thinking the same. I've driven mine around pretty hard and it never felt like tipping. But I guess accidents do happen. Hopefully it will never happen to me.

Ultrafied
10-29-2006, 06:14 PM
One of the reasons I went with a Ranger. Rhino's are well known for rollovers .... hence the "leg-minder accessory".

Havasu1986
10-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Todd969 I think this is what we were talking about on Fri at my house....

Eliminator 4 Life
10-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Its gonna be top heavy anyway if I know whos gonna be ridding shot gun haha :cool:

Ziggy
10-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Wrists restraints are sounding like a good idea to me right now.
Best invention for that............accidents happen a lot when "just going around the block" cuz your usually F'ing around....

havabeer
10-29-2006, 07:14 PM
truth be known...a bluehair cut him off at a dead end on his street(challenger) so it was either take evasive action or else...\
and the bitch didnt even stop...
he called me on the cell with his other hand...he ended up getting airshipped
to vegas....he'll be okay. but as for the rhino......
more pics to follow

Ivan Dan
10-29-2006, 07:40 PM
This thread is the main reason I bought these doors for my Rhino. I think they really help you keep your hands/legs inside. The last thing any of us want to see if something like what happened to your friend. Best wishes and hope he gets better soon.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1267Doors001.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1267Doors002.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1267Doors003.jpg

djunkie
10-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Best invention for that............accidents happen a lot when "just going around the block" cuz your usually F'ing around....
Funny thing, since I put my harness's in I fully strap in just to do the cruise around the block. I'm gonna look into the wrist restraints though.

djunkie
10-29-2006, 09:32 PM
This thread is the main reason I bought these doors for my Rhino. I think they really help you keep your hands/legs inside. The last thing any of us want to see if something like what happened to your friend. Best wishes and hope he gets better soon.
Those are freakin sweet Dan. I hate to ask what they cost. :2purples: :2purples:

SnakeWrench
10-29-2006, 10:28 PM
In 1972, a very ggod friend and fellow sprint car racer, Tony Simon, lost his right hand after grabbing the roll cage when he flipped at Santa Maria. He continued to drive for another 15 years with a hook on his right arm.
The suggestion about the sprint car arm restraints is a good one. They have saved my arms and hands more than once.

RiverRatMike
10-30-2006, 05:06 AM
One of the reasons I went with a Ranger. Rhino's are well known for rollovers .... hence the "leg-minder accessory".
I've had my rhino for months now and 500 miles and haven't even come close to rolling it. If you know what your doing and how the Rhino operates it won't roll on you. My buddy rolled a Ranger not to long ago, so it can happen to both machines.

Sportin' Wood
10-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Gotta keep your hands on the wheel.
<--------------------- Been upside down a few times.
Hope he get's better soon. That's Gnarley. A warning would have been nice I got it half way through a bite of donut.

Ivan Dan
10-30-2006, 09:14 AM
Those are freakin sweet Dan. I hate to ask what they cost. :2purples: :2purples:
Lets put it this way....I could have gotten 3 sets of the legminders you guys all bought. :crossx: But they are really nice and IMO worth the $$.

OGShocker
10-30-2006, 10:06 AM
So your gonna take off the roll bar to protect your hands? :confused: :confused:
Kilr's head is so hard, he don't need nn steeeeeeenking roll bar.:D

djunkie
10-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Kilr's head is so hard, he don't need nn steeeeeeenking roll bar.:D
Thats funny. :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:
But that was GHT I was quoting and not Kilr. :rollside: