PDA

View Full Version : Fine Dining at Newport Beach

Nord
10-29-2006, 10:29 AM
I am taking my Mom and Dad out for my Mom's birthday, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the Newport Beach (waterfront only) area.
I made a reservation at 21 Oceanfront, but have never been there. I am not apposed to changing my reservations so if anyone can give me some insight it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not familiar with the area at all.
Thanks,
~Nord~

Troy McClure
10-29-2006, 10:58 AM
21 Oceanfront isn't really ON the water, just FYI.
Try Kantina, mexican food but real tasty, 949-673-1400. It's right next door to Woody's, the guy's that own Sutra started it I believe.
Oh, and the waitress' are hot :crossx: :crossx:

squirt'nmyload
10-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Try Kantina, mexican food but real tasty, 949-673-1400. It's right next door to Woody's, the guy's that own Sutra started it I believe.
thats the place i was going to suggest but i couldn't remember the name!!

That Guy
10-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Villa Nova...italian and right on the water. You won't be disappointed...Happy B-Day Mom!! :)

stoker
10-29-2006, 11:26 AM
Kantina rocks! Its the old Hooters.

thumbs
10-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Villa Nova...italian and right on the water. You won't be disappointed...Happy B-Day Mom!! :)
Villa Nova get my vote as well.

Boa1277
10-29-2006, 12:25 PM
BlueWater Grill is really good, it is on Lido Isle it is also right on the water, but if you want really good Italian food and you dont really care if you are right on the water go to Sabatino's order the sizzling saugage platter. My mouth is watering just thinking about this. They make their own sausage and it is incredible. Both of these are on Lido Isle. they are over by Newport Harbor Shipyard.

boatsnblondes
10-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Bluewater is great, fish only there, Seven crowns is awesome on PCH a little further south, the Quiet woman is awesome a little up the street from there, but our family favorite, the best by FAR in Newport, is Gullivers, right across from John Wayne on Macaurther. YOU HAVE TO GO HERE!!! Best prime rib you will ever taste, and the cream corn and spinach soufle are amazing. Our family has used Gullivers for everything you can think of for over 30 years, i introduced my wife to my parents there.....nuff said...also, on Balboa, there is a place right on the water at the pavilian, can not remember the name, but right on the water, elegant, and great food...valet parking also, you'll need it...hope this helps...have a great night!!!!!

BajaMike
10-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Villa Nova get my vote as well.
I third the vote for Villa Nova, make reservations in advance and ask for a bay front table. Their food is great!! :idea:
:rollside:

TCHB
10-29-2006, 01:43 PM
The Rusty Pellican is alway good and a great view. They have both fish and meat!!!!!!!!!!!!
I ate at the Chart house the other night on PCH in Newport and it was pretty good with a great salad bar.
Great Service

Mattman
10-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Villa Nova

boatsnblondes
10-29-2006, 01:59 PM
This is the name and number for the restauraunt....great place...right on the water..affterwords, take a walk along the boardwalk......great place...
Harborside Restaurant, 949-673-4633....

voodoomedman
10-29-2006, 02:13 PM
Villa Nova.

boatsnblondes
10-29-2006, 02:36 PM
fine diced red onion or shallot 1/2 cup onion...saute over soft heat in butter, onion turns clear, pour in quart and a half of chicken broth, boil. add heavy wipping cream, 1 quart, bring back to boil. add cheese, swiss and american, pound of each to taste, little more american than swiss..toss in and stir to velvety yellow color...add salt and pepper here if needed...add wheat beer or ale, 1/2 bottle to start, to taste....should taste cheese first, then beer...thickened with corn starch dissolved in water to thicken...if it needs thickening.....

BRSTQUEST
10-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Las Brisas in Laguna Beach is a great place. Ask for tables 12 or 19, they have been very good to me!!!!!! You can't have a better view at a restaurant in southern CA, jmho......

Havasu Hangin'
10-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Villa Nova.
They have docks there, too. Nothing quite like dinner followed by harbor cruise.

Havasu1986
10-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Yes the group that owns Kantina owns Sutra and they still owe my company about 5k for work that we did at Kantina. If anybody knows how to get ahold of the owners, let me know. They won't return any phone calls or pay there bills.

Kiddunot
10-29-2006, 06:41 PM
Cannons in Dana Point is another

SHAKEN Not Stirred
10-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Villa Nova.
They have docks there, too. Nothing quite like dinner followed by harbor cruise.
Don't listen to Steve & Jeff..... :rolleyes:
Villa Nova may burn down again......while your there !!!!! :220v:
Go to "5 Crown's" in Corona Del Mar...... :)
It's on PCH.....
or the Chart House in Newport......Near Villa Nova.....
I prefer Cappy's Cafe & Cantina....Had breakfast there this morning.... :rollside:
It's a little less formal.....Didn't see Rodman there today though.... :idea:
Later,
CJG
:)

beaverretriever
10-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Don't listen to Steve..... :rolleyes:
Go to "5 Crown's" in Corona Del Mar...... :)
It's on PCH.....
or the Chart House in Newport......Near Villa Nova.....
I prefer Cappy's Cafe & Cantina....Had breakfast there this morning.... :rollside:
It's a little less formal.....Didn't see Rodman there today though.... :idea:
Later,
CJG
:)
I was going to say 5 Crowns as well. Most of my moms side of the family lives in Corona Del Mar and we alway eat there. Not really on the water but deffinitely top notch. :)
Have fun

Troy McClure
10-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Yes the group that owns Kantina owns Sutra and they still owe my company about 5k for work that we did at Kantina. If anybody knows how to get ahold of the owners, let me know. They won't return any phone calls or pay there bills.
Wow, sorry to hear that. Don't know the owners but it seems typical of "club" owners to stiff, pretty much everyone while trying to make some money. Don't know if they own the building, if they do, lien the fokker. Would be a pretty nice waterfront piece of property.
OR. Just show up at Sutra on a Fri. or Sat. with a baseball bat and a few friends. Might not get your money back but at least a little satisfaction maybe??? :cool:

Nord
10-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks, I made a reservation at Villa Nova and Charthouse. I'm going to cancel the ones I weed out in the next couple of days.
Thanks for the info.
I'm going to try the Mexican place on Thursday or Friday when its not a special occasion

Dan Lorenze
10-29-2006, 07:56 PM
This place is a Newport Classic.....
http://www.thearchesrestaurant.com

Nord
10-29-2006, 08:01 PM
This place is a Newport Classic.....
http://www.thearchesrestaurant.com
I checked this place out. Looks really nice as well.

Cs19
10-29-2006, 08:10 PM
cant go wrong with rusty pelican or villa nova. Cancel your 21 rez.

Havasu1986
10-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that. Don't know the owners but it seems typical of "club" owners to stiff, pretty much everyone while trying to make some money. Don't know if they own the building, if they do, lien the fokker. Would be a pretty nice waterfront piece of property.
OR. Just show up at Sutra on a Fri. or Sat. with a baseball bat and a few friends. Might not get your money back but at least a little satisfaction maybe??? :cool:
Its a little to late to lien the property since they were making payments until recently...After so long, its to late.

boatsnblondes
10-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Forget Villa Nova..I've eaten there a few times and I always come away unimpressed....as for the rusty Pelican, the service last time was bad....never go there again. Five crowns is amazing....but, still I swear by Gullivers...you just can't go wrong there..even though there is no view....or the harbor house also...nice....

RJ Nordic
10-29-2006, 11:04 PM
cancel the 21 go with villa nova or recently we have been going to "The Balboa Bay Club." They have nightly entertainment in the lounge starting @ 5. Had the stuffed salmon the other night and it was very good. Wonderful lady playing the piano with some show tunes help set the mood. They have a web site www.balboabayclub.com
Planning on getting reservations for the Christmas boat parade there too.

boatsnblondes
10-29-2006, 11:45 PM
No need for reservations for us....we have a 65 footer at moor in the back bay...I'll wave to ya as we go by......GULLIVERS!!!!! :)

voodoomedman
10-30-2006, 06:31 AM
Forget Villa Nova..I've eaten there a few times and I always come away unimpressed....as for the rusty Pelican, the service last time was bad....never go there again. Five crowns is amazing....but, still I swear by Gullivers...you just can't go wrong there..even though there is no view....or the harbor house also...nice....
Been there once and the Swordfish Picatta was the best Swordfish I've ever had. As far as service they didn't have the window seat for me that I had asked for since it was our 5 year anniversary. Said we had to wait a half hour. We get seated and then it's only like 5 minutes and the window seats are available. Was kind of annoyed. Seems like they like to give the tables to larger parties. Service was good though even though the guy was a little Igorish. Got free chocolate souffle's for our anniversary. Those are awesome. Better than Roy's.

Cs19
10-30-2006, 07:27 AM
There is another place between Laguna Beach and Corona del mar that is new, the place is unreal. Its called Breakers and its on the sand down in the Crystal Cove historical district.Every seat has a killer view. Historical district is where the old beach cottages are,there was also that popular sandwich shop called the shake shack up on the highway that you may have seen or been to.
the place will blow away any of the restaurants above when it comes to the view/setting, the food is great and the prices are fair. It might be first come first serve, cannot remember right now.Highly reccomended!

truksnboats
10-30-2006, 08:03 AM
I personally like the Rusty Pelicon. 21 isn't on the water but good food.

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
10-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Billy's and The Cannery have not been mentioned, both waterfront and top notch

BoatPI
10-30-2006, 08:32 AM
Having dined at both for decades, Villa Nova or 5 Crowns are tops.

RP2
10-30-2006, 08:37 AM
I AGREE!

AirtimeLavey
10-30-2006, 08:37 AM
If you want high end...try the Montage in Laguna, or Surf and Sand's restaurant. You cannot beat the view from the Montage, but plan on dropping a couple hundred. :cool:

Nord
10-30-2006, 09:08 AM
The montage sounds great, but how long would it take to get there from Anaheim Hills........

barbigrl
10-30-2006, 09:55 AM
I am taking my Mom and Dad out for my Mom's birthday, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the Newport Beach (waterfront only) area.
I made a reservation at 21 Oceanfront, but have never been there. I am not apposed to changing my reservations so if anyone can give me some insight it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not familiar with the area at all.
Thanks,
~Nord~
Why did you not call me??? I live walking distance to these places and could have told ya!!!! :rolleyes: :) :)

boatsnblondes
10-30-2006, 09:59 AM
For top top end, the Ritz in Fashion Island is great, right across trom the Marriott....but I forgot about the Chart House in Dana Point...sits on top of a 100-200 foot bluff, overlooking the entine Dana Point bay....GREAT PLACE...also, there is a door next to the bar, you can go out that and there is a grassy area you can wait in that over looks everything also...usually they have warmers out there this time of year...can't go wrong here....

Cs19
10-30-2006, 11:12 AM
There is always Cassidy's. Talk about a killer view.

boatsnblondes
10-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Don't forget cocktails and dancing atop the Marriott, overlooks the entire coast....

lewiville
10-30-2006, 01:59 PM
I third the vote for Villa Nova, make reservations in advance and ask for a bay front table. Their food is great!! :idea:
my brother in law is a waiter there. He has been there for ever. Ask for Ray

AirtimeLavey
10-30-2006, 02:59 PM
The montage sounds great, but how long would it take to get there from Anaheim Hills........
About 20 mins. You could take toll road to Laguna and head south. It's south of Laguna, down across PCH from Ruby's. It's a "spa" resort, Celebs, etc. Used to see Heather Locklear & Richie Samb. down there.
You and your parents won't be disappointed. The service there is first rate. Treat you like a king. :cool:

Force This
10-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Five Crowns

Nord
11-08-2006, 06:01 PM
BTW, we ended up having coctails at 21 Oceanfront and listening to the lounge singer which was great.
Then we drove over to Villa Nova which was very nice. The service was great and so was the food.
Next time, I'd like to try somewhere else though......

BoatPI
11-08-2006, 06:47 PM
21 Oceanfront is another good choice. Check out 5 Crowns in Corona Del mar. On PCH.
Wifey went to her mid week lunch at Montage last week. Came away hungry and paid $100. Presentation was great, but if are hungry, try another spot.
Now..If you want incredible service, and the best salmon I have ever tasted, try one of two a places in Canmore, Alberta, Canada. In the rockies just before Baniff, fly into Calgary. If you ever plan on going, PM me as my place a 1 block away. Service is second to none. If I am in town, u are in for cocktails.

Never Too Old
11-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Try The Beachhouse in Laguna next time. Rustic and right on the sand. Excellent food.

SHOTKALLIN
11-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Daimons in HB for benihana hip hop style! where the chef drinks shots with you. There is even whip cream play. maybe not for moms though.

shockwavebd
11-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Captain Jacks in sunset....they have boat docks and great prime rib and crab legs........ :cool: