PDA

View Full Version : Water Seperators

shaun
10-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Are these things worth buying and do they work all that well? How often should you replace the filter and how are you suppose to know when it's full? Not that i think i'll have that much water in my fuel but that filter seams like it could fill rather quickly.
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/partImages/WSP-7852-1.jpg

slotracer
10-30-2006, 12:39 PM
at the advise of jim brock. i have installed one on every one of my boats.
change them once a year.

GasGuzzler
10-30-2006, 01:01 PM
I use this one and it works good. Will even catch fuel treatment from fuel and has a drain in the bottom of the filter.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=14197

Some Kind Of Monster
10-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Mine works AWESOME. I use the mercury filter and as stated I change it once a year.

Mr. Crusader 83
10-30-2006, 01:22 PM
this is my third jet and i have put one in all my boats. change them every year. my buddy just bought a boat, and it didnt have one. now it does. they are only like $35-40. well worth the headache

Dan Lorenze
11-01-2006, 06:37 AM
I have the same unit, I change my filter once a year.

Wicked Performance Boats
11-01-2006, 06:52 AM
I have the same unit, I change my filter once a year.
Ditto Budlight

Duane HTP
11-01-2006, 07:00 AM
The one from Jegs works good. You can turn the valve, check for water, drain it and go on. They also handle a bigger volume which is important on some of out higher HP boats.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
11-02-2006, 09:08 AM
I Added The Merc One The Year I Got My Boat, Wouldn't Be With Out It. Change The Filter Every Year. If You Want The Big Port One Get The Omc Style From Your Marine Parts Guy. Just Remember They Take A Different Bigger Hole Filter. If You Want Real Quality Go To The Racor Set Up...bill.

BIGAMIST
11-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Picked up 8 MPH when I put one on my boat :rollside:

4trax
11-02-2006, 09:22 AM
This is probably a dumb question but......... How do get so much water in your fuel that you need this? I mean.... I put gas in at the same place I do my car and I have never had one and have not had any problems on that either. Was just wondering. Maybe I will get one just cause.

OverKill
11-02-2006, 09:32 AM
A must have and change the filter once a year. I have an electric fuel pump on my jet, the two in's and two out's that set up work nice so you can plumb your fuel lines from the regulator to the carb. and the other side right back to the fuel filter. This will prevent dead heading the regulator and shorten the life of the fuel pump.

67weimann
11-02-2006, 07:03 PM
This is probably a dumb question but......... How do get so much water in your fuel that you need this? I mean.... I put gas in at the same place I do my car and I have never had one and have not had any problems on that either. Was just wondering. Maybe I will get one just cause.
It's not an issue of the water is already there at the gas station but condensation. You are putting the gas in a wet environment where you can get condensation in the tanks.

4trax
11-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Ok, so just incase like water coming in your vent tube or some thing like that. My tank is right next to engine where it is warm and covered.
http://***boat.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19472&stc=1

67weimann
11-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Ok, so just incase like water coming in your vent tube or some thing like that.
I would have to assume that is also a possibility. Once you get some water in the tanks it will run like a turd.

IMPATIENT 1
11-02-2006, 07:36 PM
wix sells a nice kit for 45 bucks. comes with a cast alum base that you screw the filter/seperator onto like an oil filter. the filter/seperator has a drain cock on the bottom for water removal, they work great! the base is a 1/2 pipe thread so alot of fuel can pass thru it, i installed mine before fuel pump and never had water in fuel probs again, filtered the fuel great too!

4trax
11-02-2006, 07:55 PM
wix sells a nice kit for 45 bucks. comes with a cast alum base that you screw the filter/seperator onto like an oil filter. the filter/seperator has a drain cock on the bottom for water removal, they work great! the base is a 1/2 pipe thread so alot of fuel can pass thru it, i installed mine before fuel pump and never had water in fuel probs again, filtered the fuel great too!
Thanks, I'll look it to getting one then.

shaun
11-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Some of us check our gas level by poping the cap while on the water... Or what i've seen before is when somebody climbs into the boat they pop the cap and you dont notice it for little while..
Really it's just a precausion, boat is on/in the water, chances are i will fill up at a fuel dock now or then and who knowns what your getting. Also who knows maybe the cap isnt sealing perfectly or one time or whatever... i'm sure there are many ways water can end up in the tank. At least for us guys who can reach over and touch the water while were crusing along :)