PDA

View Full Version : "Long Travel Rhino" report...

Froggystyle
10-30-2006, 03:55 PM
As a lot of you guys know, I just bought a new Rhino with some very specific needs in mind. It needed to fit in the new toterhome, launch and recover the boat at shallow launch ramps, go exploring and be street legal so I can drive it to and from work daily, in addition to doing local errands while staying in campgrounds when we travel.
Enter Brian at Long Travel Rhino (www.longtravelrhino.com). First off, he is a big-time boater and a very cool guy. That much I expected after the referral to him from Glenn (HotDiggityDog) from the forums. What I didn't expect was the extreme workmanship, fit and finish and overall quality of the kit.
I drove up last Friday to pick up the stuff. First things first, he had to build a custom cage that would not exceed 70" tall so I could get in the garage of the toter. The cage is absolutely beautiful, and all of the tig-welded joints are gorgeous. I am myself a functioning perfectionist, and you can tell clearly that he is as well. The bends are symmetrical and perfect, there isn't a bunch of ground out hot stops and starts and the fit was perfect. He knew we were doing a custom powdercoat color, so he delivered it raw. No way to hide the craftsmanship... it is just there. So, custom cage, built perfectly, fits like a glove. Score one.
Next step is the front and rear bumpers. The overall length of the Rhino can't exceed 118" long to fit in the garage, so the bumper couldn't be his standard version. A custom, shorter bumper was fabbed up and built which not only matches our new long travel front fiberglass front end (www.fiberwerx.com) but is tight and trick. Again, perfectly symmetrical, perfect welds and great style. The rear bumper had to be tight to the body as well, but also had to incorporate a tow hitch. By clearancing the center of it for me and using a drop-hitch flipped over, we are able to tow the boat with no problems whatsoever. It just works perfectly.
The suspension was another matter in which they excelled. I needed to carry a 500# tongue weight with the boat on it. One call to his buddy at King shocks and we were set up with a custom built set of rears and fronts that took our needs into account. 500# springs on the rear let us haul the boat without squatting, but still work amazingly well for normal dicking around. We will probably swap out the springs to lighter ones for pure wheeling, but if the boat is involved, the big ones will be in there with no sacrifice in capacity or driveability.
The install went very, very smoothly. I have had opportunity to install a large number of high-end well built kits on myriad vehicles, from Brembo brakes on the Vette to the full Air-Ride kit on the dumped 2500. None have installed with this ease and accuracy. No tweaking, bending or hammering neccessary. It just dropped right in. The axles took some time to figure out, but once Brian walked me through swapping the CV joints off of the first stock set, the rest were a breeze. (Don't do this without good snap-ring pliers and some patience).
This was the nicest installation and the highest quality parts I have installed in anything in quite some time. No fabrication was neccessary, only drilling required was for two mounting holes on the rear bumper and reservoir mounts for the shocks. Everything else was in the kit, high quality and worth every penny.
These kits and cages aren't cheap, but they are absolutely worth it. The ride is amazing, the appearance is breathtaking, and combined with everything else we have done with Brian (PRP Seats, CDI and some billet bling from www.rhinocrap.com) we are beyond stoked. Audrey can't believe that it is the same thing we bought just over a month ago.
Thanks to Brian. He did a great job engineering the kit, keeping production standards very high and building what I believe to be the finest LT kit on the market for the Rhino. Side by side with others I won't name is brutal. It is beefier, higher quality and obviously premium. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy it again. Zero buyers remorse.
So, in short, if you are looking for a premium cage, seats, LT kit, shocks or anything else, that was basically a one-stop shop for me and my Rhino. We are using my Teamtech harnesses, or I would have bought some of those too. I am way tipped over by the service, quality and value. I can't wait to go hit the trail later this month.
All of the parts are in powdercoat right now, but I will post the finished pictures minus the new trick lighting tomorrow. I am updating the Trident site with them as they come in. Stay tuned.
Two thumbs up on Long Travel Rhino. Great job guys...
EDIT: Pic Update!!!
My image hosting site is gone, so I have to re-post everything. Until then, here is a pic before lights and such...http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/d/2565-2/DSC06086.JPG
New pic of the Rhino from last night.... kind of an update for those who are just getting here...
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/d/2578-2/DSC06145.JPG

BADBLOWN572
10-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Tease!!! We need pics.

Froggystyle
10-30-2006, 04:01 PM
Where are the pics?
All of the parts are in powdercoat right now, but I will post the finished pictures minus the new trick lighting tomorrow. I am updating the Trident site with them as they come in. Stay tuned.
See paragraph 6, subsection B...
I could take some minus the cage and bumpers though if you want?

MR HARLEY
10-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Dam thats a long post with no pics. :)

Froggystyle
10-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Dam thats a long post with no pics. :)
I thought it important to make a report while it was fresh in my mind. I spent the weekend dialing it in and was so tipped over I wanted to make sure people knew how stoked I was with it.
It is rare to see this kind of craftsmanship in the industry. His kit made the Rhino itself look like a poor host. Yamaha is definitely nowhere near LTR's level of quality.

LAFD
10-30-2006, 04:10 PM
brian is a very down to earth guy and is a perfectionist in every way. met him a while ago just before the rhino craze went off very cool person.

beaverretriever
10-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Sounds AWESOME, but 5500.00 for the long travel kit? Thats a lot of money but Im sure it will jump and ride awesome. :)
Cant wait to see pix. I want a Rhino bad.

bohica
10-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Let me know the secret to street legal in CA. I heard it's not possible these days.

Froggystyle
10-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Let me know the secret to street legal in CA. I heard it's not possible these days.
As long as some jackass can get a VW powered trike registered, I will find a way to register my Rhino.

BajaMike
10-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Is that thing geared low enough to pull your boat up a ramp....and does it have enough brakes to stop it? (I'm not familiar with Rinos)
:idea:

RiverRatMike
10-30-2006, 04:38 PM
yeah where are the pixs?

Froggystyle
10-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Is that thing geared low enough to pull your boat up a ramp....and does it have enough brakes to stop it? (I'm not familiar with Rinos)
:idea:
The low gear will pull your truck off of it's foundation, and I retrofitted the boat trailer and the Rhino for electric brakes. So, backing down the ramp the boat brakes itself. The power to get out is no problem at all, and with the lockers it works great on the slippery ramp.

OCMerrill
10-30-2006, 05:02 PM
As long as some jackass can get a VW powered trike registered, I will find a way to register my Rhino.
I was at Echo Lodge this weekend and saw a CA plate Rhino sitting in front of a park model trailer.
If the plate was not just taken off something else, there must be a way to do it?

Trailer Park Casanova
10-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Good report FS.
Do the long travel up grades make the Rhino feel tipsy at all?

sigepmock
10-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Can't wait to see the pics Wes. I've talked with Brian about your Rhino several times. I still think a rear air bag set-up using "bag-over shocks" like the Funco buggies would be sweet and let you do both running and towing.
Hope it works like you want it to. Brian does some amazing work and I'm glad you chose him for your project. I've had similar great results working with Brian and agree he's just a good guy.
Congrats and hurry up with the pics :)
Chris

Jordy
10-30-2006, 09:28 PM
No pics. You lost me. Boo. :D :D :D :D
Sorry, just wanted to be the 14th person to ask for them. Sounds pretty bad ass, but what about the lights, stereo, batteries, airbags and stripper pole??? :D :D :D

shadow
10-31-2006, 05:45 AM
The low gear will pull your truck off of it's foundation, and I retrofitted the boat trailer and the Rhino for electric brakes. So, backing down the ramp the boat brakes itself. The power to get out is no problem at all, and with the lockers it works great on the slippery ramp.
Wes,Have you actually tried launching and retrieving on a slippery ramp?
I know the Rhino can move the boat around,slippery ramp may be another story,Good luck hope it works out.

Froggystyle
10-31-2006, 08:33 AM
Wes,Have you actually tried launching and retrieving on a slippery ramp?
I know the Rhino can move the boat around,slippery ramp may be another story,Good luck hope it works out.
We haven't with the LT kit or the Kings, but we did it at Blue Water with stock suspension. It was squatted down really badly in back, which lightened up the front end a bit.
The cool thing about the LT kit is it actually moves the rear axle back 2" and the front one forward 2". It increases the wheelbase enough to make a big difference.

Froggystyle
10-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Sorry, just wanted to be the 14th person to ask for them. Sounds pretty bad ass, but what about the lights, stereo, batteries, airbags and stripper pole??? :D :D :D
You are confusing this with my truck... all of the above... Check!
Actually, we are going to be doing a Air-Ride Technologies (Same company that built the system with me in the truck) "Shock-Wave" airbag adjustable shock. It should do everything we want it to and more. I just wanted to get the kit in, check geometry and get going with it.
I am going to be working with Air-Ride this week at SEMA about getting the correct fitment, but once I do we should be good to go on the system.
Wait until you see the lights. I will be getting the very first pre-production version of this LED rail built by a guy who used to work for me. 3+ times brighter than HID lights with an amazing dispersion. It is just daylight in front of you with them. The main projector is 40" wide by 3.5" tall and deep. The other two in front are 10" wide and will be on the front bumper. Plus, the draw is non-existant compared to standard incandescents. Not quite as miserly as HID's, but more light.

Sherpa
10-31-2006, 08:48 AM
definetly interested in seeing the new light system Wes............ sounds like
just the thing for 4wheeling at night............ and of course, you suck because of no pics..............lol.
--Sherpa

little rowe boat
10-31-2006, 09:02 AM
Please post some pics.

Froggystyle
10-31-2006, 09:18 AM
Powdercoat will be done in a matter of hours and I will have pics up for you.
Sorry for the pump-fake, but they are imminent.

IlostmypasswordBRE
10-31-2006, 09:44 AM
Awesome! Great to hear! Can't wait to see the pictures :)

Froggystyle
10-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Here are some early pics... It doesn't have the lighting in yet, the grill (which I still have to make) the PRP seats, wheels/tires, mirrors, handles or the DOT headlights/tail lights, but you get the idea...
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/lt_collage.jpg

Jyruiz
10-31-2006, 04:44 PM
Nice, but no digital dash?

Riverkid
10-31-2006, 04:48 PM
Now that's a cool Rhino... :)

Froggystyle
10-31-2006, 04:49 PM
Nice, but no digital dash?
It is getting the Lowrance 3500c GPS/chartplotter etc. I didn't want that LCD screen in the way. I figure with the non-digital dash I can re-locate all of the idiot lights wherever I want to and use the whole dash space for the air switches, gauges, Lowrance, radio and such...

Jyruiz
10-31-2006, 04:50 PM
It is getting the Lowrance 3500c GPS/chartplotter etc. I didn't want that LCD screen in the way. I figure with the non-digital dash I can re-locate all of the idiot lights wherever I want to and use the whole dash space for the air switches, gauges, Lowrance, radio and such...
Sounds like a better idea, post pics of that when you get it done.

Froggystyle
10-31-2006, 06:08 PM
Sounds like a better idea, post pics of that when you get it done.
Lights will be here tomorrow... I will post up then.
Off to man the fort for Halloween... :D

Eliminator 4 Life
10-31-2006, 06:12 PM
Lights will be here tomorrow... I will post up then.
Off to man the fort for Halloween... :D
We have been lied to for two days now post the pics. YOU PROMISED THEM... :crossx: :mad:

MR HARLEY
10-31-2006, 06:32 PM
We have been lied to for two days now post the pics. YOU PROMISED THEM... :crossx: :mad:
They are up, check page 1 and Wes 's 1st post. :)

Froggystyle
10-31-2006, 06:55 PM
I don't know that it could be called a lie... I posted them up and all.
But, a re-post for the Eliminator guy... ;)

little rowe boat
10-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Very nice.

XtrmWakeborder
10-31-2006, 09:13 PM
lets see some pics of it hooked up to the boat! Another great vehicle Wes, is the escalade done yet?

Froggystyle
10-31-2006, 09:44 PM
lets see some pics of it hooked up to the boat! Another great vehicle Wes, is the escalade done yet?
We will hook it up to the boat tomorrow and snap some pics off.
I didn't do the Escalade yet. After really thinking about it, there is no better vehicle than a diesel truck for what I do, so I am doing a trick flatbed on the truck so we can haul the Rhino with it and still haul the boat around. Instead of spending the coin on a primary mover with less capacity, I decided to stick with the paid off truck.
I still hate it though. I think it will look cool with a really, really trick flatbed with it bagged and such, but I am on my last transformation with it before I am 100% bored.
I just wish they put the diesel in anything else. Suburban, Tahoe, Durango, etc...

XtrmWakeborder
10-31-2006, 09:55 PM
We will hook it up to the boat tomorrow and snap some pics off.
I didn't do the Escalade yet. After really thinking about it, there is no better vehicle than a diesel truck for what I do, so I am doing a trick flatbed on the truck so we can haul the Rhino with it and still haul the boat around. Instead of spending the coin on a primary mover with less capacity, I decided to stick with the paid off truck.
I still hate it though. I think it will look cool with a really, really trick flatbed with it bagged and such, but I am on my last transformation with it before I am 100% bored.
I just wish they put the diesel in anything else. Suburban, Tahoe, Durango, etc...
Good move imo, as i have said before that is the sickest truck i've seen. Does the rhino match your boat, or the demo boat?

Eliminator 4 Life
10-31-2006, 09:58 PM
I don't know that it could be called a lie... I posted them up and all.
But, a re-post for the Eliminator guy... ;)
Sorry I didnt bother to go back and look at the first post I was looking at the most recent post. My bad but who goes back and re reads the first post.
That thing looks awesome guess I need to hurry up and get mine now...

Froggystyle
10-31-2006, 10:03 PM
Good move imo, as i have said before that is the sickest truck i've seen. Does the rhino match your boat, or the demo boat?
Its going to match my boat we are building for next year. I am thinking about infusing and building a smaller picklefork with a psychotic motor which will be in these colors too. The prototype is going to head up north to do some PR work in the Sonoma county and Delta area.
Probably going to paint the truck to match it too. I like the colors a lot.

Evo22
10-31-2006, 11:29 PM
thanks for all of the praise Wes and it looks awesome

djunkie
11-01-2006, 02:59 AM
Thank God a long travel Rhino won't fit in the back of my truck. Cause God knows I'd be ordering one of those kits too. :rolleyes: :crossx: :crossx:

sigepmock
11-01-2006, 06:35 AM
Didn't anybody tell you "Purple" was like so 90's.....might as well put checkers on it :yuk: :crossx: j/k Wes it looks great can't wait to see it complete. thanks for sharing the pics.
Chris

sigepmock
11-01-2006, 06:36 AM
Thank God a long travel Rhino won't fit in the back of my truck. Cause God knows I'd be ordering one of those kits too. :rolleyes: :crossx: :crossx:
Oh it will.....just have to drive up and over the wheel wells..... :crossx:
Chris

phebus
11-01-2006, 07:19 AM
Wes, quit playing with your Rhino, and post some pictures of the ocean blue Trident you just infused.

XtrmWakeborder
11-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Its going to match my boat we are building for next year. I am thinking about infusing and building a smaller picklefork with a psychotic motor which will be in these colors too. The prototype is going to head up north to do some PR work in the Sonoma county and Delta area.
Very nice, take some pics of that picklefork asap also. Is the trident going to be at the boat show this year?

Cole Trickle
11-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Looks good Wes.
Can't wait to see it completed! :rollside: :boxed:

djunkie
11-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Oh it will.....just have to drive up and over the wheel wells..... :crossx:
Chris
I guarantee it won't. Not with offset wheels and 6" over on each side. Won't even make it through the opening on the bed.

sigepmock
11-01-2006, 01:12 PM
I guarantee it won't. Not with offset wheels and 6" over on each side. Won't even make it through the opening on the bed.
Who said anything about offset wheels....? :crossx:

djunkie
11-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Who said anything about offset wheels....? :crossx:
Thats what I have. Even with standard wheels it won't fit. As it is with stock wheels I only a couple of inches on each side to spare.

wsuwrhr
11-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Thats what I have. Even with standard wheels it won't fit. As it is with stock wheels I only a couple of inches on each side to spare.
OH it is easy....
Just start from farther back....more speed Captain.
Brian

Magic34
11-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Wes,
Dont know if you planned on putting new seats in or not, but they make all the difference in the world for a nice ride. After having ne seats, and then riding in a stock one for a little bit again, I cant go without my PRP seats up front.
Rhino looks great. :cool:

02HoWaRd26
11-02-2006, 09:23 AM
I really like the Fiberwerx body on it....

RiverDave
11-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Is that a hint at Trident getting into the hardcore performance market in the future?
Bitchen Rhino by the way!
RD

wsuwrhr
11-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Is that a hint at Trident getting into the hardcore performance market in the future?
RD
I might be in line for a flat bottom.

Froggystyle
11-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Wes,
Dont know if you planned on putting new seats in or not, but they make all the difference in the world for a nice ride. After having ne seats, and then riding in a stock one for a little bit again, I cant go without my PRP seats up front.
Rhino looks great. :cool:
Yeah, Brian talked me into a full custom set which take a little longer to build. I was going to try to run Sparco's since they are one of my sponsors for other stuff, but the PRP's are better off-road seats in everyone's opinion. I am doing the ones with an adjustable headrest in front and a 42" wide rear with adjustable headrests on it as well. All color-matched to the Rhino.
Brian wouldn't let me drive it without them... ;)

Froggystyle
11-03-2006, 10:14 AM
RD
Trident probably won't, but I will likely be infusing some for other companies coming up.
Our lamination department is way, way faster and more efficient than our rigging department right now. We are branching out as a "job shop" for other composite projects right now in several different industries.

Froggystyle
11-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Quick update picture...
I have been a little busy building boats so we haven't done too much to it in the last week or so, but the beginning of next week should be a zoo prior to the Baja 1000. We are doing the LED lighting, seats, winches and logos between now and then.
Here is a shot from earlier today in the parking lot with the BFG's and 14's.
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/bfgs.jpg

Froggystyle
11-09-2006, 07:15 PM
I really like the Fiberwerx body on it....
Thanks,
Jason (the owner) is a really good guy, and is fired up about the kit right now. He did a great job on it aesthetically. Ours was the first one, so it needed a little massaging, but it all ended up great. I think it is totally dialed in now.
What is great about it is that it gets rid of the tailgate and smooths out the rear completely with a wrap-around look. It also ditches the handles on the sides for the tilt bed, and takes out the body lines as well.
I like it.

RiverRatMike
11-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Quick update picture...
I have been a little busy building boats so we haven't done too much to it in the last week or so, but the beginning of next week should be a zoo prior to the Baja 1000. We are doing the LED lighting, seats, winches and logos between now and then.
Very Nice!!!

phebus
11-09-2006, 08:26 PM
That thing is sick Wes, but how much of what is left is Yamaha? It seems like someone should come out with an aftermarket long travel frame, and then someone could take it from there.

djunkie
11-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Quick update picture...
Looks great Wes. Would you mind if I copied the graphics? :crossx: :crossx:
J/K :rollside:

sigepmock
11-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Looks great Wes. Would you mind if I copied the graphics? :crossx: :crossx:
J/K :rollside:
Now that right there was funny :)

phebus
11-09-2006, 08:47 PM
I think you'll be getting a cal from Jones, Jones, and Jones Esq. in the morning. :crossx:

wsuwrhr
11-09-2006, 09:10 PM
That thing is sick Wes, but how much of what is left is Yamaha? It seems like someone should come out with an aftermarket long travel frame, and then someone could take it from there.
Already being done.
Brian

wsuwrhr
11-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Another problem is Yamaha doesn't sell complete motor assemblies, so you pretty much need to start out with the major parts of a Rhino anyway.
Brian

Froggystyle
11-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Another problem is Yamaha doesn't sell complete motor assemblies, so you pretty much need to start out with the major parts of a Rhino anyway.
Brian
If I was to have access to a frame, I wouldn't have this motor in it. GSXR 1100 with some means of getting the power to the transfer case... ;)
Actually, I am really glad it is what it is... the low power means low weight, which means you don't need very strong stuff... If I did build this thing from scratch it would end up with some NV Atlas transfer case, a small block chevy and Dana 44's! (Basically, a Jeep)
It is perfect the way it is. It rides great, and even though the suspension isn't cheap, it is definitely the way to go. It adds a ton of utility to the creature, much better ride and capability and looks a lot cooler.

wsuwrhr
11-11-2006, 12:48 AM
....a custom purpose-built Rhino just spent the better part of today running on a dyno in preparation for the Baja coming up.
Brian

wsuwrhr
11-11-2006, 12:52 AM
A sportbike motor wouldn't be suited well to a Rhino application. IMHO. Might not have enough ass down low as a Rhino would.
Now if you wanted your Rhino to run 150MPH through the dirt, perfect elevator warfare weapon.
Brian
If I was to have access to a frame, I wouldn't have this motor in it. GSXR 1100 with some means of getting the power to the transfer case... ;)
Actually, I am really glad it is what it is... the low power means low weight, which means you don't need very strong stuff... If I did build this thing from scratch it would end up with some NV Atlas transfer case, a small block chevy and Dana 44's! (Basically, a Jeep)
It is perfect the way it is. It rides great, and even though the suspension isn't cheap, it is definitely the way to go. It adds a ton of utility to the creature, much better ride and capability and looks a lot cooler.

Froggystyle
11-11-2006, 11:54 AM
A sportbike motor wouldn't be suited well to a Rhino application. IMHO. Might not have enough ass down low as a Rhino would.
Now if you wanted your Rhino to run 150MPH through the dirt, perfect elevator warfare weapon.
Brian
LMAO...
I was actually thinking that the best move is probably to transplant a snowmobile engine into it. Some big ass Rotax or something. Those have the right drive system too.
I just worry about driveline durability at that point. Need new diffs, transfer case and hubs more than likely. That would get spendy...
I just bolted on the big light... small one coming up and then I will take some pics. Your brackets worked great Brian.

wsuwrhr
11-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Your welcome sir.
It is good to know that SB Products builds stuff that works.
Brian
LMAO...
I was actually thinking that the best move is probably to transplant a snowmobile engine into it. Some big ass Rotax or something. Those have the right drive system too.
I just worry about driveline durability at that point. Need new diffs, transfer case and hubs more than likely. That would get spendy...
I just bolted on the big light... small one coming up and then I will take some pics. Your brackets worked great Brian.

Flyinbowtie
11-11-2006, 01:52 PM
That thing is very very nice. Congrats Froggy.
I am still debating which way to go, and I have plenty of time since the $ isn't there right now.
A couple of weeks ago, I got to drive one finally.
Bone stock 06 660 LE. It was fun, and I am leaning that direction.
Stock, 'cept for the little supercharger/intercooler kit making 8.5 lbs. of boost.
The thing wasn't dialed in and had stock tires on it in the sand, but it ran pretty good, and I was surprised how well it rode. Some work on the exhaust and other fine-tuning and some good tires, and I think it would haul my big self right up the face of Sand Mountain.

Froggystyle
11-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Here are the new lights on it... totally sick. It also looks like my old image hosting site is down hard, so I am going to switch the images over to tridentboats.com from now on...
Here is the new pics though...
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/d/2565-2/DSC06086.JPG
Stock lights...
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/d/2570-2/DSC06091.JPG
Super psycho LED bars... Quite a bit brighter than HID's...
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/d/2574-2/DSC06093.JPG

Phat Matt
11-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Here are the new lights on it... totally sick.
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/d/2574-2/DSC06093.JPG
Now you just need one to pulse back and forth. :)

Riverkid
11-14-2006, 05:32 PM
The shorter front light, how much??? What's the OEM?

BajaMike
11-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Wes, have you pulled the boat with it yet??
:rollside:

Froggystyle
11-14-2006, 05:53 PM
Wes, have you pulled the boat with it yet??
All over the parking lot and up and down the loading dock. Nothing at the river yet though...
It does fine. I am not slightly worried about it. I will probably upgrade the clutch before too long though...

Froggystyle
11-14-2006, 05:56 PM
The shorter front light, how much??? What's the OEM?
I don't know... these are pre-production. I absolutely love them though. I think the 40" one is $1,000 retail, and the 10" is going to be $350 or so. Pure shot in the dark though... I don't know for sure.
The guy who builds them is david@holderoffroad.com
The production versions will be out shortly. Two wire hookup too...

EAZYKILLER2006
11-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Sorry, just wanted to be the 14th person to ask for them. Sounds pretty bad ass, but what about the lights, stereo, batteries, airbags and stripper pole??? :D :D :Dhey u cant say BOO ~i say BOO i want to c pics !!! :argue:

Riverkid
11-14-2006, 06:15 PM
What's the height dimension, Wes? Those are really nice... What is the wattage? :)

Froggystyle
11-14-2006, 07:59 PM
What's the height dimension, Wes? Those are really nice... What is the wattage? :)
Well, the height is below the roofline, and the total height of the light is under 4"... something like 3 5/8" They come in 10" increments up to 60". Solid state, so it is pretty tough to blow, and if you waste one 10" section the others still work. I really like the form and function of these things. He is going to go very, very far with them.
I don't think the wattage is relative to incandescents, but it is about a 12 amp draw for the big one and a 3 amp for the 10". Reality is, the 40" is pretty well overkill. It is way, way brighter than the HID's I had hooked up for a little while, and looks infinitely cooler at night. Tough to describe what it looks like, but spaceship comes to mind. Definitely not your average lights. You would get picked out of a crowd at Glamis easily and immediately.

mbrown2
11-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Froggy, the Rhino looks sick...as usual you leave no stone unturned in the customization game...:)

Todd969
11-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Wes, I need a hook up for one of those 10" lights, Please.
Todd

Froggystyle
11-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Wes, I need a hook up for one of those 10" lights, Please.
Todd
Indeed. I'll be your crack dealer... ;)
Let me find out what is going on with them after the Baja 1000. We are supposed to head down there tomorrow and test the lights while shooting some TV, but it is still up in the air if the permissions went through.
After Baja I will get with you about it.

Froggystyle
11-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Froggy, the Rhino looks sick...as usual you leave no stone unturned in the customization game...:)
Thanks bro... coming from you that is sound.
Speaking of which, how is the hotrod? Haven't seen it yet, but heard all about it.

Todd969
11-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Let me find out what is going on with them after the Baja 1000. We are supposed to head down there tomorrow and test the lights while shooting some TV, but it is still up in the air if the permissions went through.
Thank you sir.
And the Elka Elites are really amazing with the stock "A" arms :) I can get you a price on the series below them tomorrow.

BajaMike
11-14-2006, 08:52 PM
All over the parking lot and up and down the loading dock. Nothing at the river yet though...
It does fine. I am not slightly worried about it. I will probably upgrade the clutch before too long though...
Glad to hear that it'll work, I was just worried because those things seem small (I've never been in one) but I think you said it's got a nice low range gear set.
That thing looks very cool........ :cool:

Froggystyle
11-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Thank you sir.
And the Elka Elites are really amazing with the stock "A" arms :) I can get you a price on the series below them tomorrow.
I am pretty happy so far with the Kings actually. We may switch to air suspension down the road for stiffness while towing and compliance while 'wheeling, but it is incumbent that Air Ride finish the remote reservoirs they are working on for it to be viable.
Your Rhino looks awesome by the way. I really like the leg minders, but am probably doing half doors on mine unless I figure out a hinged door of some sort. I have some ideas, but don't want to spend any time on it. I have boats to build after all.. ;)

Froggystyle
11-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Glad to hear that it'll work, I was just worried because those things seem small (I've never been in one) but I think you said it's got a nice low range gear set.
That thing looks very cool........ :cool:
The power definitely isn't a problem. It tows it fine. I would not count on the brakes without electric trailer brakes though. I would fear that the boat would haul the Rhino into the water. Most trailers are set up with surge brakes, which only work going forward. We switched to electric trailer brakes, which you can actuate independently on a controller. Basically, the trailer stops the Rhino if you hold the brakes down. No problems at all.

mbrown2
11-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks bro... coming from you that is sound.
Speaking of which, how is the hotrod? Haven't seen it yet, but heard all about it.
Boat's doing good and brings a big smile even when I am cruising 35 on the strip....Do a search on my threads started in the Vdrives section...its there...I am not jacking your thread by posting pics....might be considered bragging, jumping a shark or worse both...:) :220v: :)

mbrown2
11-14-2006, 09:39 PM
The power definitely isn't a problem. It tows it fine. I would not count on the brakes without electric trailer brakes though. I would fear that the boat would haul the Rhino into the water. Most trailers are set up with surge brakes, which only work going forward. We switched to electric trailer brakes, which you can actuate independently on a controller. Basically, the trailer stops the Rhino if you hold the brakes down. No problems at all.
Froggy...any idea what it requires to switch to electric; parts and what someone might charge to do so....we have a steep ramp at the river so the boat wants to tow the light short jeep into the water....with Electric this would not be an issue....and with the 4x4, low gear and lockers, I don't think it would be hard towing out....just when I am backing down w/surge brakes..

Riverkid
11-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Look what lites Robby Gordon is using down in Baja on his H3... :)
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17274&d=1163548740
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17276&d=1163549099
:D :D :D Nice.

djunkie
11-14-2006, 10:21 PM
I wouldn't mind getting a little more info on those lights also. :rollside: :rollside:

BajaMike
11-14-2006, 10:56 PM
I would not count on the brakes without electric trailer brakes though. I would fear that the boat would haul the Rhino into the water. Most trailers are set up with surge brakes, which only work going forward. We switched to electric trailer brakes, which you can actuate independently on a controller. Basically, the trailer stops the Rhino if you hold the brakes down. No problems at all.
It would probably stop once the boat hit the water, but electric brakes are good in that situation.
Sounds like you got the perfect little tow vehicle!
:cool:

sigepmock
11-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Yeah put me on the list too. I like the low profile and the simplicity. I'm getting ready to add some lights to the top of the Rhino and I bet two of the 10"er's would work great.
Chris Mock

Froggystyle
11-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Look what lites Robby Gordon is using down in Baja on his H3... :)
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17274&d=1163548740
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17276&d=1163549099
:D :D :D Nice.
That is funny... I didn't want to name-drop but he is the only person with another pair, and you found pictures!
He is using them for utility lights primarily. Note that you are looking at his pre-runner, not the race truck. Loves them apparently. He has a big deal with Hella and is running 9 of their HID units on his race truck.
Yeah, we are in good company. I will get you all pricing and availability. Not 'till after the race though.

Froggystyle
11-15-2006, 08:29 AM
Froggy...any idea what it requires to switch to electric; parts and what someone might charge to do so....we have a steep ramp at the river so the boat wants to tow the light short jeep into the water....with Electric this would not be an issue....and with the 4x4, low gear and lockers, I don't think it would be hard towing out....just when I am backing down w/surge brakes..
Any trailer shop can do it. You use the same hardware, different actuator. Mine cost in the neighborhood of $1K to switch over and it works great. I heavily recommend it.
Bummer is, all of your tow vehicles need to have the controller after the switch. The great news is, when you are driving back over the grade and start heading down... you don't bake your brakes the whole way. We found that even if you don't ride your brakes, the boat coasts easier than the truck ususally, and so it rides the brakes the whole way down long steep hills. We were heating up the bearings all the time and throwing grease everywhere. All of that is over now. Much easier on the brakes, cleaner and works better than surge.

Riverkid
11-15-2006, 04:56 PM
:)
Beats this idea... :D :D
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17296&d=1163626370
Those Inland Truss guys are light crazy!
This one is interesting. The same guy building these larger lights?
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17303&d=1163626621

Phat Matt
11-15-2006, 05:12 PM
:)
Beats this idea... :D :D
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17296&d=1163626370
Those Inland Truss guys are light crazy!
This one is interesting. The same guy building these larger lights?
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17303&d=1163626621
He has "Hella Lights". That is the only time I will use "Hella" in a sentence. :)

Riverkid
11-15-2006, 05:15 PM
$8500 worth too... :crossx:

superdave013
11-15-2006, 05:40 PM
I had some LED lights for when I night ride my mountain bike. I didn't like them because they don't put out the full light spectrum. It was hard to tell the bushes from the trail. Not kidding, I couldn't see diddley with them. Green, brown and what not all looked the same. So I went back to my old skool NMH lights that I already had.

Froggystyle
11-15-2006, 07:40 PM
I had some LED lights for when I night ride my mountain bike. I didn't like them because they don't put out the full light spectrum. It was hard to tell the bushes from the trail. Not kidding, I couldn't see diddley with them. Green, brown and what not all looked the same. So I went back to my old skool NMH lights that I already had.
Different world here. It is nuts. With any HID or LED off road though you need two elevations so you can throw off shadows. Very, very important in mountain biking. I have an HID on my helmet and a Halogen on my bars for MB...

Froggystyle
11-20-2006, 11:32 AM
OK.. another couple of pictures out in the dirt this time. There were a couple of real washboarded up/rutted roads we were just flying down and couldn't feel the ripples at all. Really well designed system. I am trying to screen-capture some of the hairier moments from the video, but will have that done later today.
This is without a doubt the most capable off-road vehicle I have ever driven. It dusts my old Jeeps, Scouts, quads, mountain bikes etc... It feels a little light in some really crazy rock-crawling, the articulation could be a little better for real off-camber stuff, but I have 500# springs in the rear, and that can't be helping matters.
All in all, it is twice as much fun as I was thinking it was going to be, still right around what two of the 700 Raptor quads was going to cost and insanely cool looking.
Two thumbs up on the Rhino program. I see what all the fuss is about!
PS... everyone was right... the seats made a world of difference. Tough to describe what a great purchase they were...
More pics at http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/v/Image_Vehicles/Rhino/

Cole Trickle
11-20-2006, 11:44 AM
OK.. another couple of pictures out in the dirt this time. There were a couple of real washboarded up/rutted roads we were just flying down and couldn't feel the ripples at all. Really well designed system. I am trying to screen-capture some of the hairier moments from the video, but will have that done later today.
This is without a doubt the most capable off-road vehicle I have ever driven. It dusts my old Jeeps, Scouts, quads, mountain bikes etc... It feels a little light in some really crazy rock-crawling, the articulation could be a little better for real off-camber stuff, but I have 500# springs in the rear, and that can't be helping matters.
All in all, it is twice as much fun as I was thinking it was going to be, still right around what two of the 700 Raptor quads was going to cost and insanely cool looking.
PS... everyone was right... the seats made a world of difference. Tough to describe what a great purchase they were...
More pics at http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/v/Image_Vehicles/Rhino/
Looks great!!!
Way Way over the top......I think the BFG's and led lights were a nice touch.:D

djunkie
11-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Looks great!!!
I really like the lights too. I wouldn't mind checking those out some time.
Hey Wes, any more thought into this? http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132062

Froggystyle
11-20-2006, 12:06 PM
I really like the lights too. I wouldn't mind checking those out some time.
Hey Wes, any more thought into this? http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132062
Yeah, I am looking into it. I figure if we actually get it going this place will be on fire over it. The people on here are much like the industry in general... they don't really get too excited about anything unless someone else is doing it and making it work.

Froggystyle
11-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Looks great!!!
Over the top, yes... but all for functionality. This is a very capable vehicle, and none of the mods decreased capability... only increased it. Tough to find a vehicle that meets that criteria when heavily modified.

welk2party
11-20-2006, 12:32 PM
I still am not sure about the Rhino thing...
Wes, that is one of the best looking Rhino's I have seen, NICE JOB! By far something that I would consider for setup to tow the boat to ramp and get some play time with too.
Do you, or anyone else know, what it would take to make one street legal? Yours for example.

Froggystyle
11-20-2006, 12:44 PM
I still am not sure about the Rhino thing...
Wes, that is one of the best looking Rhino's I have seen, NICE JOB! By far something that I would consider for setup to tow the boat to ramp and get some play time with too.
Do you, or anyone else know, what it would take to make one street legal? Yours for example.
Still working it. I am putting a catalytic converter on it this week, and going to get it smogged. That is the first step.
Some people ruined it for everyone. They are not even close to street legal stock, and until you put quite a bit of time and energy into it, you won't get there from here. So, Yamaha, in an effort to stave off lawsuit central looming on the horizon wrote a letter to the California DMV saying that they were not legal for street use. As a result, when you go to register your Rhino, the VIN pops up as unregisterable.
In the same move, they outlawed street-legalizing quads as well.
Most of it is under the pretense of emissions. I am smogging mine first, then going at it from there. The next step is a "special construction" build VIN, which I will do after I run out of options with the regular path.
This will be street legal in CA when I am done with it... even if it isn't technically a Rhino anymore.

welk2party
11-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Still working it. I am putting a catalytic converter on it this week, and going to get it smogged. That is the first step.
Some people ruined it for everyone. They are not even close to street legal stock, and until you put quite a bit of time and energy into it, you won't get there from here. So, Yamaha, in an effort to stave off lawsuit central looming on the horizon wrote a letter to the California DMV saying that they were not legal for street use. As a result, when you go to register your Rhino, the VIN pops up as unregisterable.
In the same move, they outlawed street-legalizing quads as well.
Most of it is under the pretense of emissions. I am smogging mine first, then going at it from there. The next step is a "special construction" build VIN, which I will do after I run out of options with the regular path.
This will be street legal in CA when I am done with it... even if it isn't technically a Rhino anymore.
Thanks for the info. The place I would be using something like this, it probably is a non-issue, but it would be nice to help justify the expense.

TOBTEK
11-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Rhino looks killer Wes! Question... do you have a in house interior staff, or are you subleting it out? I need to have the seats done on a new Gcart im building. My regular guy is lagging!

djunkie
11-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I am looking into it. I figure if we actually get it going this place will be on fire over it. The people on here are much like the industry in general... they don't really get too excited about anything unless someone else is doing it and making it work.
Well let me know via PM or something if you'd like. I am really interested. It would be nice to have a cool place to ride around at and take care of.

superdave013
11-20-2006, 01:06 PM
We did Tunnel and Cold Springs trails up in Santa Barbara yesterday. I'd love to see you tackle those in your Rhino.
Sweet looking rig for sure. Time to give that paint a nice bushwacking now! :)

Froggystyle
11-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Rhino looks killer Wes! Question... do you have a in house interior staff, or are you subleting it out? I need to have the seats done on a new Gcart im building. My regular guy is lagging!
Thanks Tob, yours was bad ass as well. Sorry to see it go.
My interior guy is Mark Luhr. He is doing a great job, did the custom work on the golf cart which turned out very, very nicely and has probably done 1,000 golf cart seats. I recommend him heavily. His website is at www.customupholstery.net and his phone number is 619-449-9172.
PRP did the seats in the Rhino. They are full suspension seats, and are absolutely the balls... I got mine through www.longtravelrhino.com and I think they make some for golf carts... maybe really cool to do.

Froggystyle
11-20-2006, 01:10 PM
We did Tunnel and Cold Springs trails up in Santa Barbara yesterday. I'd love to see you tackle those in your Rhino.
Sweet looking rig for sure. Time to give that paint a nice bushwacking now! :)
It already got it pretty bad yesterday when I was a little off-line coming down a nasty crawl and high-centered the right side on a huge boulder.
It went up stuff I absolutely could not go up on my mountain bike. We were taking video of it that had the front end floating on and off the ground while climbing and just heading straight up.

superdave013
11-20-2006, 01:22 PM
how do you think it would do going down the rock gardens at Noble?
I've never been there but we are planing a trip soon.
Also I would like to do Viejo Tie to Chiquita soon. Prolly will do it on Firday. You should go on some of these.
BTW, not fair to compare a long travel anything to that 4" travel bike you rode. lol

Froggystyle
11-20-2006, 01:27 PM
how do you think it would do going down the rock gardens at Noble?
I've never been there but we are planing a trip soon.
Also I would like to do Viejo Tie to Chiquita soon. Prolly will do it on Firday. You should go on some of these.
BTW, not fair to compare a long travel anything to that 4" travel bike you rode. lol
True. The problems are all based on width. Most of noble is about as wide as your crankset. This wouldn't stand a chance.
As for the terrain... no problem.
Noble is absolutely pimp. My favorite ride by a lot. Except for all of the pussies on heavy metal shuttling, it is a truly great uphill ride... not that you will ever find out. ;)

superdave013
11-20-2006, 01:47 PM
True. The problems are all based on width. Most of noble is about as wide as your crankset. This wouldn't stand a chance.
As for the terrain... no problem.
Noble is absolutely pimp. My favorite ride by a lot. Except for all of the pussies on heavy metal shuttling, it is a truly great uphill ride... not that you will ever find out. ;)
I'm doing a 44 mile event in March. Over 8,000 feet of climbing. I have already sent you the info. I take it you are all signed up and will come out and school me. ;) Heck, you will prolly post the best time overall so bring it.
I'll ride up Noble too. Yup, and I'll do it on a long travel bike with a full face helmet on. Climbing on the bigger bikes is good training. Then I hop on my xc rig and just truck up hill.
True downhilling is more work then you think too (not that you will ever find out). sissy :D I love taking people with the "pussies on heavy metal" on rides like Tunnel. They are always worked at the end of the day just like everyone else. Today I feel great like I did a hard upper body work out with lots of squats and lunges. And also feel like someone beat on me with a ball peen hammer. lol It's an f'in great feeling.

Froggystyle
11-20-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm doing a 44 mile event in March. Over 8,000 feet of climbing. I have already sent you the info. I take it you are all signed up and will come out and school me. ;) Heck, you will prolly post the best time overall so bring it.
I'll ride up Noble too. Yup, and I'll do it on a long travel bike with a full face helmet on. Climbing on the bigger bikes is good training. Then I hop on my xc rig and just truck up hill.
True downhilling is more work then you think too (not that you will ever find out). sissy :D I love taking people with the "pussies on heavy metal" on rides like Tunnel. They are always worked at the end of the day just like everyone else. Today I feel great like I did a hard upper body work out with lots of squats and lunges. And also feel like someone beat on me with a ball peen hammer. lol It's an f'in great feeling.
Bottom line... you ride hard. That is all that matters. If you think we give heavy metal guys shit... you should see what we have reserved for the spandex set...
No question hardcore DH is lots of work. Even if it wasn't, all of the adreneline spent would make you feel like you climbed Everest.
I don't see you riding a big DH bike up Noble though. Maybe on the asphalt, but that would be pretty femme. If you are bringing the big dog, save it for the downhill. You will throw an artery trying to ride up Noble with it.
I am a pretty good climber and I damn near gas going up the dirt on Noble. Many times, I have wished the car was on top so we could just get in and go home. The DH to me is too much risk vs. the reward. I am freaked out the whole time thinking about orphaning a company and a bunch of employees.

sigepmock
11-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Same reaction I had after the first trip with the Long Travel. Brian sure has these things dialed in.
Still interested in the LED's let us know when you get more info and/or pricing...I have a buddy that will probably want to get set-up as a dealer too. You can PM if it helps Wes.
How do you like the BFG's? Does their weight slow down the Rhino noticably? I'm thinking about a set for our Rhino to run in Havasu next summer.
Looks great Wes and thanks for the update,
Chris

Froggystyle
11-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Same reaction I had after the first trip with the Long Travel. Brian sure has these things dialed in.
Still interested in the LED's let us know when you get more info and/or pricing...I have a buddy that will probably want to get set-up as a dealer too. You can PM if it helps Wes.
How do you like the BFG's? Does their weight slow down the Rhino noticably? I'm thinking about a set for our Rhino to run in Havasu next summer.
Looks great Wes and thanks for the update,
Chris
I didn't really notice any difference with the BFG's except for much better ride quality. I had them aired down to 17.5 and they weren't even squishing out at all. These things are really light.
The lighting guy is forming his attack plan right now. My exposure alone has gotten him a lot of phone calls. I mean, the Robby Gordon thing might have had a small amount to do with it... but probably mostly my Rhino. ;)
Seriously though, I am sure it is the best lighting system I have used yet... by a lot. They just slice through dust and mist in addition to turning the road ahead of you into daylight. They need more spread though, and that is what he is working on right now. One of the benefits of being a "beta tester" for cool stuff... you get to test cool stuff!
I will keep you informed about the lights though.

superdave013
11-20-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't see you riding a big DH bike up Noble though. Maybe on the asphalt, but that would be pretty femme. If you are bringing the big dog, save it for the downhill. You will throw an artery trying to ride up Noble with it.
I am a pretty good climber and I damn near gas going up the dirt on Noble. Many times, I have wished the car was on top so we could just get in and go home. The DH to me is too much risk vs. the reward. I am freaked out the whole time thinking about orphaning a company and a bunch of employees.
I won't bring the Brooklyn. I have a Bullit that has 3 rings in the front and 7" of wheel travel. It has a pretty light build and weighs in at 36 pounds. Not bad for what it is. Sure I won't be the first guy up and might have to push some. Ok, I'll still get there. I'll let you know when we are going down there.
DH is fun when you dress for it. It's you xc guys that get all jacked up because you don't wear ALL the gear. Pretty good season for me so far, I have not cracked a helmet yet. woot!

Froggystyle
11-20-2006, 03:26 PM
It's you xc guys that get all jacked up because you don't wear ALL the gear. Pretty good season for me so far, I have not cracked a helmet yet. woot!
Hey now... wait. You're right. I have a $2,200 new front tooth to prove it from a couple years back. I wear a really light full face now. Everyone gave me shit until they all went and got them as well.
This has been a good year for me as well. So far, so good. I am either getting way better, or losing my edge. :D

Magic34
11-20-2006, 04:37 PM
I need those lights! They look really cool, and if they are brighter than HIDs I am sold. I'll take 2 please.

Froggystyle
11-20-2006, 04:45 PM
I need those lights! They look really cool, and if they are brighter than HIDs I am sold. I'll take 2 please.
Not so fast... the big one is the brightness of about 2.5 HID's, and the small one is just shy of an HID on actual light output, but they are far better focused so there is more usable light in the road. There is literally no bleed, so the light energy is not diffused at all. The stock headlamps do a pretty good job making contrast and filling in the sides close to you, and you CANNOT outrun them in a Rhino. Full speed, you can stop in way less than half their distance.
I love them, and thought they dusted the two HID setup I had. Way more than the rated double the light it seemed. When you turned them on, the HID's went away.
And, you were right on about the PRP seats. What a difference!

Magic34
11-20-2006, 10:45 PM
Not so fast... the big one is the brightness of about 2.5 HID's, and the small one is just shy of an HID on actual light output, but they are far better focused so there is more usable light in the road. There is literally no bleed, so the light energy is not diffused at all. The stock headlamps do a pretty good job making contrast and filling in the sides close to you, and you CANNOT outrun them in a Rhino. Full speed, you can stop in way less than half their distance.
I love them, and thought they dusted the two HID setup I had. Way more than the rated double the light it seemed. When you turned them on, the HID's went away.
And, you were right on about the PRP seats. What a difference!
Do they have a bigger one as well? When are these going to be available?

Froggystyle
11-20-2006, 11:02 PM
Do they have a bigger one as well? When are these going to be available?
I'm working on it. You could double-stack the 40" easily, or go all the way up to 80" depending on the application. The Rhino isn't really wide enough to mount anything wider than the 40" though.
They come in 10" increments up to 80" long.

Magic34
11-26-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm working on it. You could double-stack the 40" easily, or go all the way up to 80" depending on the application. The Rhino isn't really wide enough to mount anything wider than the 40" though.
They come in 10" increments up to 80" long.
Anything new? :crossx:

Sun burners
11-28-2006, 11:44 AM
TTT
Any info on the LED'S?
Thanks Mike

Froggystyle
11-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Quick update... because of the amount of interest generated by RG and our Rhino, they have decided to jump right into full production and have already sent the order for a bunch of them. That is good news and bad news. Good news, because the spread is going to be improved, it will be a two-wire hookup and have trick mounting hardware. Bad news, because it is going to be a month until it is all done and the first parts will deliver.
I will keep everyone updated on the lights as the info comes in.
We just got back from a truly righteous Thanksgiving weekend with the Rhino. We basically backpacked with the Rhino as an insert vehicle. 37 miles down unimproved roads and 11 miles up a wash with zero road. Neither Audrey or myself could believe how well it rode, performed considering the stresses and most importantly lasted through some brutal hits. We were travelling at about 37-45 mph up the whole washed out road, and hitting toaster-oven sized rocks and holes at that speed. Some hit so hard it spun the wheel straight out of my hands. I came home and got out the tape measure, positive I had tweaked at least something and the system was 100% true still. This suspension is just the bomb. No fading on the shocks, even after 37 straight heavy miles.
The cooling system is going to need work though. The motor was getting hot even in stock form over that period of running. Starting to backfire and sound warm. No lights or anything, but even at 37 degrees out it was definitely getting hot. That will need some attention. I think it also needs a sump and a fuel lift pump, as crazy angles and long idling would cause the motor to die.
Lastly, it wasn't stoked about starting easily at 24 degrees and 6300 feet. I will try to resolve that before our next adventure. If anyone cares, I will post all of the pictures of the trip.

ChumpChange
11-28-2006, 12:44 PM
The cooling system is going to need work though. The motor was getting hot even in stock form over that period of running. Starting to backfire and sound warm. No lights or anything, but even at 37 degrees out it was definitely getting hot. That will need some attention. I think it also needs a sump and a fuel lift pump, as crazy angles and long idling would cause the motor to die.
I know some people using the PWR setup for the cooling. Not sure if you already have something on it that just doesn't work but here is their stuff. They have an intercooler for the Rhino.
www.pwr-performance.com

bohica
11-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Take that front skid plate off and most of your cooling troubles will be solved. Even with the holes in it, it doesn't allow enough air thru to cool the radiator right behind it.

djunkie
11-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Take that front skid plate off and most of your cooling troubles will be solved. Even with the holes in it, it doesn't allow enough air thru to cool the radiator right behind it.
Exactly. I've read that a lot of other people with skid plates on the front are having cooling problems as well. The last trip in Havi for the big Rhino ride I drove the piss outta my Rhino, and not once did it even seem to get hot.

Froggystyle
11-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Hmmm...
Maybe I will open that thing up with some grille or something. I definitely need the protection. We were brushbreaking for 22 miles straight just mobbing over sagebrush, chapparal and small Manzanita trees. That thing definitely earned it's position there... In fact, I want to get some guards for the outer CV joint boots because of that. We took a branch through one and tore the boot. It didn't sling too badly, and we checked up on it a lot, but I am definitely going to be making a call to Brian regarding those things.

Sun burners
11-28-2006, 01:57 PM
OK so we are talking NEW YEARS eve on the lights?

Mandelon
11-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Hmmm...
Maybe I will open that thing up with some grille or something. I definitely need the protection. We were brushbreaking for 22 miles straight just mobbing over sagebrush, chapparal and small Manzanita trees. That thing definitely earned it's position there... In fact, I want to get some guards for the outer CV joint boots because of that. We took a branch through one and tore the boot. It didn't sling too badly, and we checked up on it a lot, but I am definitely going to be making a call to Brian regarding those things.
Geez Wes, that doesn't sound like you were treading lightly....

AZKC
11-28-2006, 04:31 PM
If anyone cares, I will post all of the pictures of the trip.
You know we luv pics :)
Sounds like your using that thing for what is meant to be :)

Froggystyle
11-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Geez Wes, that doesn't sound like you were treading lightly....
Not even kindof. But, in my defense... the next person likely to go up that wash probably will be me, because there was ZERO evidence of human presence that far out in the middle of nowhere. It was like backpacking on the moon.

Froggystyle
11-28-2006, 04:47 PM
You know we luv pics :)
Sounds like your using that thing for what is meant to be :)
Big time. This is a great little vehicle. No chance of a Jeep going where we went. Too short for the overhangs, too narrow for the gaps, too aggro on the obstacles to high-center on.

Mandelon
11-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Not even kindof. But, in my defense... the next person likely to go up that wash probably will be me, because there was ZERO evidence of human presence that far out in the middle of nowhere. It was like backpacking on the moon.
Its not other people you are supposed to tread lightly for....its the cute little bunnies, happy hopping mice and the slithering snakes and lounging lizards....
Man--->using alliteration to fuqq with Wes's concience<----delon :cool:
Sounds like fun. Bushes grow back. :skull:

Froggystyle
11-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Its not other people you are supposed to tread lightly for....its the cute little bunnies, happy hopping mice and the slithering snakes and lounging lizards....
Man--->using alliteration to fuqq with Wes's concience<----delon :cool:
Sounds like fun. Bushes grow back. :skull:
Yeah... that wash is lucky I didn't burn it down to make it easier to drive through... ;)

Sun burners
12-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Ttt?