PDA

View Full Version : Registering in Arizona...

Scarab Jet
10-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Is it cheaper to register a car or a truck in AZ vs. CA?
And if so, do you have to have insurance from an Arizona-based company or could I keep my AAA and still register in AZ?
Thanx in advance...
Mike...

Havasu Carrera
10-31-2006, 09:45 AM
But they give you like 15 or 30 days to comply.

spectratoad
10-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Thought it might have been a sex offender question at first glance at the title. :) :) :)

Kilrtoy
10-31-2006, 12:48 PM
And if so, do you have to have insurance from an Arizona-based company or could I keep my AAA and still register in AZ?
Thanx in advance...
Mike...
I just tried to do that yesterday..
IT WAS DOUBLE OF CALIFORNIA...
$224 cali
to $442 Az

phebus
10-31-2006, 01:07 PM
When I moved here, I registered my truck and SUV. The truck was cheaper, because CA makes you register a truck with comercial plates, but not so in AZ, but the SUV was more.

Boatandrvloanguy
10-31-2006, 01:29 PM
Most of the time to reg a a vehcial in AZ beside a boat you need to have an AZ license, and live there.

squirt'nmyload
10-31-2006, 01:33 PM
it cost close to 600 bucks to register my vehicle in azhttp://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/00000036.gif

Boatcop
10-31-2006, 03:20 PM
If you live in CA and want to register a vehicle in AZ, we have no problem with it.
However, California would have a big problem if you EVER bring that vehicle into California. CA laws require their residents to register any vehicles owned by them in CA. Unless the vehicle NEVER enters California. Not passing through. Not bringing it in for repairs. Not a day trip to Needles or Big River. NEVER!
It's a Criminal Offense (Misdemeanor) to do so, and fines are hefty, along with DMV fees, penalties, interest, towing and impound fees, and a host of other problems. Trying to save a few bucks on annual registration could cost over $2,500 to clear up. Jail time (although unlikely) can be imposed.
If you have a California Driver's License. Work in CA. Reside in CA, and have AZ plates on your vehicle you would be a target. CHP and local cops are always on the watch for out-of-state plates in CA neighborhoods and business parking lots.
We've been going out to my elderly Mother-in-law's place in Hemet a lot lately. I've been stopped a couple of times by CHP and Hemet PD to check my residency.

EAZYKILLER2006
12-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Thanx in advance...
Mike...
arizona has the highest insurance rates in the nation... :idea:

phebus
12-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Mine actually went down

EAZYKILLER2006
12-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Mine actually went down
car or boat?

ratso
12-02-2006, 08:47 AM
car or boat?
Some of us can't get boat insurance... :crossx:

phebus
12-02-2006, 08:49 AM
car or boat?
The boat insurance didn't change, as it was already insured in AZ, but auto, and home owners both went down.

Bow Tie Omega
12-02-2006, 08:51 AM
YES THEY DO Have the highest rates!!!! Figure the odds of this....Lived in the SoCal, OC/Temecula essentially all of my life with the exception of the Navy imposed vacation to Pensacola for 3 years. Driving daily on the 5, 405, 91, 15 or Ortega for the majority of my life, the worst freeways in the country. My rates for a what was a near new 4 Runner and a near new F-150 Extra Cab, full coverage I might add was around $105 a month give or take via State Farm. We moved to Arizona 2 years ago with the same cars, the rates roughly doubled, paying about $195. Granted, we did purchase a new 4 runner earlier this year and the rate only went up about 6$. I could not believe it. Born and raised in the place where the term grid lock stemmed from, the place where road rage was first diagnosed and my insurance doubled when I moved to Arizona. No one could give me a legitimate reason either as to why.

EAZYKILLER2006
12-02-2006, 08:58 AM
YES THEY DO Have the highest rates!!!! Figure the odds of this....Lived in the SoCal, OC/Temecula essentially all of my life with the exception of the Navy imposed vacation to Pensacola for 3 years. Driving daily on the 5, 405, 91, 15 or Ortega for the majority of my life, the worst freeways in the country. My rates for a what was a near new 4 Runner and a near new F-150 Extra Cab, full coverage I might add was around $105 a month give or take via State Farm. We moved to Arizona 2 years ago with the same cars, the rates roughly doubled, paying about $195. Granted, we did purchase a new 4 runner earlier this year and the rate only went up about 6$. I could not believe it. Born and raised in the place where the term grid lock stemmed from, the place where road rage was first diagnosed and my insurance doubled when I moved to Arizona. No one could give me a legitimate reason either as to why.
yepper! my son was paying 187 a month for his car in calif and when he moved to arizonia it was 419 a month

SummitKarl
12-02-2006, 09:03 AM
both Reg. and Ins. went down when I moved here from San Diego
on my truck, I kept the Cali Reg. on my Falcon (blk/ylw) plates and insured it as a parade car in AZ, LE in LHC haven't bothered me about it, but 2 LHC officers do belong to my car club :)

Kachina26
12-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Registered my truck in AZ back in July, figured it hadn't seen Ca in 6 months, why give them my hard earned money? Ca wanted $300ish, AZ was $150 or so.

Warlockjer
12-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Plus in AZ you can register it for 2 years if you want to :)

Boatcop
12-02-2006, 09:48 AM
This might be true in the Metro (Phoenix/Tucson) areas and border towns, due to the high vehicle theft rate. Other parts of the State are dirt cheap.
I don't have anything to compare it to for California, but my coverage is around $1,200 a year total for:
'07 Tahoe (Full Coverage)
'96 Sierra P/U (Full Coverage)
'69 VW Bug (Full Classic/Historic Vehicle Coverage)
No tickets, no accidents on record.

Kilrtoy
12-02-2006, 10:25 AM
HELL NO...
My ins dropped $1,000 in AZ from Cali. It would have dropped more but they knew I commute to LA once a week so it has a 500 premium added on....
With that said It still Is 1K cheaper

3 daytona`s
12-02-2006, 11:25 AM
HELL NO...
My ins dropped $1,000 in AZ from Cali. It would have dropped more but they knew I commute to LA once a week so it has a 500 premium added on....
Kilr, commute once a week,OMG are you a glutton for punishment :) I can`t imagine does that not get old? How many miles a yr. do you log?

HocusPocus
12-02-2006, 12:54 PM
If you live in CA and want to register a vehicle in AZ, we have no problem with it.
However, California would have a big problem if you EVER bring that vehicle into California. CA laws require their residents to register any vehicles owned by them in CA. Unless the vehicle NEVER enters California. Not passing through. Not bringing it in for repairs. Not a day trip to Needles or Big River. NEVER!
It's a Criminal Offense (Misdemeanor) to do so, and fines are hefty, along with DMV fees, penalties, interest, towing and impound fees, and a host of other problems. Trying to save a few bucks on annual registration could cost over $2,500 to clear up. Jail time (although unlikely) can be imposed.
If you have a California Driver's License. Work in CA. Reside in CA, and have AZ plates on your vehicle you would be a target. CHP and local cops are always on the watch for out-of-state plates in CA neighborhoods and business parking lots.
We've been going out to my elderly Mother-in-law's place in Hemet a lot lately. I've been stopped a couple of times by CHP and Hemet PD to check my residency.
this is very true.. i never even got pulled over, just got a letter in the mail telling me that i am guilty of fraud and had like 15 days to get the vehicle registered in california. was told by the CHP that most are turned in by relatives or neighbors. good luck.

Bow Tie Omega
12-02-2006, 01:41 PM
HELL NO...
Dude, where do you live? Obviously not in the greater Phoenix area. My registration stayed about the same, there was no out of state fee for coming in from California. But the standard for the greater Phoenix area is a steep increase in insurance prices compared to California. I have a clean driving record with 0 points as does my wife. We have a 2001 F-150 and a 2005 Toyota 4 Runner Limited loaded with the V-8

roostwear
12-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Would Arizona have a problem if I registered my Bronco there (it stays there year round), but drove with a Cal driver's license? I'm really tired of dragging it back every 2 years to smog it and it lives in BHC.

Bow Tie Omega
12-02-2006, 01:54 PM
I do not know the official stance of the DPS in Az, but about a year and a half ago, I was pulled over for using the HOV lane during rush hour (car pool lane) and I still had my California license, truck was registered in AZ. The license was not a problem according to the officer. There are many people who live out of state but have second residences in AZ. I would think it was not a problem. What it comes down to is the money, AZ or CA makes no money off of driver licenses. Registration on the other hand, they make lots off of. As far as smog checks, they have actual state ran stations here. I took the truck in and it honestly took about 10 minutes, I never got out of my truck. No cheesy mechanics at privately ran smog stations saying that they need to do a $200 dollar tune up on my vehicles like in Ca. It is funny, my vehicles always "barely passed" at these cheesy stations in Ca, as they needed all of this work, my oldest car was 3 years old. But in Az, they pass with flying colors. I had a friend in Anaheim Hills whou had a 2 year old Tahoe with 25,000 miles on it and these guys tried to stick him for $800 in work. He took his car to the dealership, pissed off and they ran a full diagnostic and it was fine. The dealer mechanic took it to the smog shop down the street and it passed perfectly. None of that in AZ, all state ran.

Boatcop
12-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Would Arizona have a problem if I registered my Bronco there (it stays there year round), but drove with a Cal driver's license? I'm really tired of dragging it back every 2 years to smog it and it lives in BHC.
None whatsoever. Except if you actually ARE a resident of AZ with a CA license.
Just add to what Bow-Tie said above, only certain areas of Maricopa County, Piim County and Yavapai County are required to get emission tested. Primarily the greater Phoenix (Valley), Tucson, and Prescott areas.

SK48
12-02-2006, 03:25 PM
I think it all depends where you live in Arizona. I live in Parker, and have a business in Blythe, Ca. The registration is a little less in Az. but my insurance rates would be less in Blythe, Ca. than in Parker AZ.
Sales tax issue on used vehicles is a plus in Az. On new vehicles most areas
of Calif. are better than Az. Just bought the wife a new vehicle in Mesa
Az. and paid over 8.5% sales tax, and in south eastern Ca. it would have
only been 7.75%
There once was a benefit to living in Arizona, but it is about equal anymore.
Property taxes in La Paz county are way out of site. Would be much cheaper
to live on the other side of the river. At least Ca. has prop 13.

Boatcop
12-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Property taxes in La Paz county are way out of site. Would be much cheaper to live on the other side of the river. At least Ca. has prop 13.
How do you figure?
My Property tax rate is 4.08 primary and 2.62 per $100.00 valuation. For me that's about $803.00 a year. (Although I only pay 1/2 of that due to the wife's Indian Exemption)
That includes all taxing districts. County, Fire, School, College, etc.
I'd like to see what the comparable is in California. My guess is you won't find anything lower than that in CA.

SK48
12-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Well Alan, my commercial property in Blythe is around 8,000 sq ft on 2.5 acres
and with prop 13 I still pay around $ 2100.00 per year.
In La Paz county I have a 3500 sq ft metal building for storage,(personal use)
It is assessed as commercial by our tax assessor, and I pay $ 2800.00 per
year.
Add $ 4,000.00 plus for house, and $ 800.00 for a vacant lot ( which is not
buildable until sewer system is installed ) and I think our county is getting
pretty greedy.

Boatcop
12-02-2006, 05:32 PM
I'll bet your property here is in the up-river area. Not in town.
You'll find that most of that property tax is from Buckskin Fire Dept. Their rate is higher than the County's. Above 2.50 per $100. (Parker is only 1.00) The County is only 2.20. And that's lowered from the 2.25 it's been for the last several years. Throw in the Sewer District and you'll find that the lion's share of those taxes have nothing to do with the County.

Ultracrazy
12-02-2006, 08:02 PM
car or boat?
Both for me.........

BajaMike
12-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Yea, but you do look pretty shady.......:D
:cool:

roostwear
12-02-2006, 10:18 PM
None whatsoever. Except if you actually ARE a resident of AZ with a CA license.
Just add to what Bow-Tie said above, only certain areas of Maricopa County, Piim County and Yavapai County are required to get emission tested. Primarily the greater Phoenix (Valley), Tucson, and Prescott areas.
I'm a resident of California with a place in BHC. Now, if I register the Bronco in AZ, is there a problem towing a Cal boat trailer?

jbone
12-02-2006, 10:24 PM
All my vehicles and trailer are reg in Cali, but the boat is reg in AZ. This is not a problem, right. All my boating is done in AZ and I store the boat in my garage in Cali.
J

lawbreaker2
12-03-2006, 08:15 AM
You guy's are cornfusing me. :rolleyes:

roostwear
12-03-2006, 08:27 AM
OK, Arizona truck towing a California boat trailer (mostly in Arizona or a little Nevada). As I understand it, in Cal that's a problem. Is it a problem in AZ or NV?

HocusPocus
12-03-2006, 09:24 AM
AZ never once gave me any problem towing a CA trailer, even checked with the motor vehicle dept in havasu and they didn't have a problem with it. the problem is really just in CA. for that reason i do have my boats registered in AZ only the trailers are registered in CA. The way it was told to me was that if its on the road in CA it better be registered here. I know its confusing and a pain but that basicially describes everything here in CA.