PDA

View Full Version : What's your take???

ratso
11-01-2006, 06:33 PM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15515176/?GT1=8717

deltaAce
11-01-2006, 08:15 PM
He meerly sugested they get in better shape, they sound like sissies from this quote,
"This letter shows the type of harassment and hostile work environment we have. The chief of police is constantly 'bad talking' us in every way possible and we have had enough of his arrogance,"
I think it was wrong to fire him!
"He offered tremendously good advice, yet he was sacked," wrote Thomas Roe Oldt, a columnist for The Ledger of Lakeland.

Tom Brown
11-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Some men in good physical condition who enjoy irony should go down to Winter Haven and kicked the police department's ass.

Devil's Advocate
11-01-2006, 08:28 PM
I think how and what he said in most professional organizations would be considered inappropriate. I don't agree with the manner he presented his "concerns" but I think it could have been addressed differently to avoid it being offensive, tackless and harrassing sounding. Don't know if it was grounds to can him though. I'm sure there must have been more reasons along the way.
But they do need to ditch the doughnuts those fat asses. :jawdrop: :D

Tom Brown
11-01-2006, 08:37 PM
I don't agree with the manner he presented his "concerns" but I think it could have been addressed differently to avoid it being offensive, tackless and harrassing sounding.
He should have sat his men down one at a time and said something like this,
"You know I love you and I will always stay with you but I would like to discuss some concerns I have about your physical health and the way you take care of your body. I care deeply about you and wish you would respect your body by improving your nutrition and exercising. You don't seem as active as you used to be and I wonder if you're getting as much out of life as you could with a healthier lifestyle.
I'll tell you what, let's join a gym. I'll pay for the memberships and we'll go together. After working out, we can walk a long the beach and talk. Maybe we'll get to know each other better. Maybe it will improve our relationship. It'll be just like old times.

Devil's Advocate
11-01-2006, 08:44 PM
"You know I love you and I will always stay with you but I would like to discuss some concerns I have about your physical health and the way you take care of your body. I care deeply about you and wish you would respect your body by improving your nutrition and exercising. You don't seem as active as you used to be and I wonder if you're getting as much out of life as you could with a healthier lifestyle.
I'll tell you what, let's join a gym. I'll pay for the memberships and we'll go together. After working out, we can walk a long the beach and talk. Maybe we'll get to know each other better. Maybe it will improve our relationship. It'll be just like old times.
Yeah, something like that, except maybe add something about taking a Sunday drive or just laying in bed snuggled up. I agree.
smart ass. :crossx:

Moneypitt
11-01-2006, 09:50 PM
I'll bet they have a Gym on site. What a bunch of whinny bitches. The lawsuit will pay him for years to come. Somebody screwed the pooch, but it wasn't him.....What about the military when they threaten involuntary discharges to lifers that have gained weight? Haven't heard of any generals getting fired/re signing over that..............."Dare to keep cops off donuts".............MP

rrrr
11-01-2006, 10:07 PM
I think how and what he said in most professional organizations would be considered inappropriate. I don't agree with the manner he presented his "concerns" but I think it could have been addressed differently to avoid it being offensive, tackless and harrassing sounding. Don't know if it was grounds to can him though. I'm sure there must have been more reasons along the way.
But they do need to ditch the doughnuts those fat asses. :jawdrop: :D
A police department isn't like a corporate office. There is a command structure and since the cops are dealing with life and death situations, they need to be able to do their job.
Nothing wrong with what the guy did...the PC nazis are out of control again. Fawkin pussies.

ratso
11-02-2006, 05:10 AM
...that one just made my day Tom...lmao... :D
...but it's still early.

RitcheyRch
11-02-2006, 05:16 AM
Guess he didnt have any Diversity Training.

bocco
11-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Bunch of fat pussys. If you are going to be a cop or fireman you have to be in shape and stay that way.

ratso
11-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Bunch of fat pussys. If you are going to be a cop or fireman you have to be in shape and stay that way.
I agree 100%

SmokinLowriderSS
11-02-2006, 04:16 PM
A police department isn't like a corporate office. There is a command structure and since the cops are dealing with life and death situations, they need to be able to do their job.
Nothing wrong with what the guy did...the PC nazis are out of control again. Fawkin pussies.
Pretty much my take on it right there by rrrr.

Seadog
11-02-2006, 04:48 PM
I saw that on the news and thought that it was the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I hope he sues the heck out of them and wins a huge settlement.

Kilrtoy
11-02-2006, 06:14 PM
That is not why they fired him, There are other reasons, but they are using that as the EXCUSE...
THEY DID NOT LIKE HIM

Tom Brown
11-02-2006, 07:16 PM
THEY DID NOT LIKE HIM
... and for being disliked, they are putting him in a position of making a lot of money.
... gotta love the system. :D

Kilrtoy
11-02-2006, 07:21 PM
... and for being disliked, they are putting him in a position of making a lot of money.
... gotta love the system. :D
They liked him until he actually took the job, then it turned to dislike.
The people that hired him arent the ones that disliked him, at least at first

Boatcop
11-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Most Chiefs of Police serve at the pleasure of the City Council or City Manager. Being an appointed position, there is no civil service protection.
They are usually under some sort of negotiated contract. Even if it's proved that he was terminated without cause, the only thing he could recover would be the remaining term on the contract.
Sounds like he had the right idea, but lacked a little bit of tact.

thumbs
11-02-2006, 09:54 PM
I think his quote below sums it up pretty well for me.
"We didn't hire you unfit and we don't want you working unfit. Don't mean to offend, this is just straight talk. I owe it to you."

Tom Brown
11-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Most Chiefs of Police serve at the pleasure of the City Council or City Manager. Being an appointed position, there is no civil service protection.
That seems weird to me. In Canada, they are city employees and they also have a golden parachute so they take a nice little chunk of change when they go. It's not millions but it's more than the average traffic patrol officer gets.
In my city, and I think most cities, the chief is a guy who worked his way up through the ranks. The only time most Canadian cities would bring someone in from another area to chief is if there is a problem and they have to do something fast. Otherwise, a local is groomed. It's a system I have a lot of respect for.

thumbs
11-02-2006, 10:00 PM
I also think PR skills are fine. He sugar coated that memo enough. We are not talking about a bunch of pregnant women. If that memo hurt their feeling enough for them to complain then how are they going to deal with some in the line of duty that is not, lets say......friendly?

thumbs
11-02-2006, 10:02 PM
In my city, and I think most cities, the chief is a guy who worked his way up through the ranks. The only time most Canadian cities would bring someone in from another area to chief is if there is a problem and they have to do something fast. Otherwise, a local is groomed. It's a system I have a lot of respect for.
Now why would we want to do it that way? It make way to much sense.

YeLLowBoaT
11-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Sounds like he had the right idea, but lacked a little bit of tact.
Skrew the tact, he should have told them flat out, we are having a Fittness test in 60 days, if you fail your gone.... I would love to see what the local police union would say about that.
It really ticks me off when I see LEO( or anyone for that matter) that can not do thier job... It really ticks me off when I see officers that are fat and/or too small to do the job... a less then 5' female officer that is less then 90lbs has no biz on the street...