PDA

View Full Version : AC vs. Swamp Cooler

rsr
01-20-2006, 07:35 AM
Thinking of cooling the garage at the river to make it more comfortable during clean-up and maintenance. Wondering which is better - AC or Swam cooler? Obviously there will be a difference in price, but that's not the concern. Main concern is the moisture put into the air by the swam cooler and what negative effects, if any, it may have on the boat. What has been everyone else's experiences? Thanks in advance for any and all help. (FWIW garage is only 20'x30').

JetBoatRich
01-20-2006, 07:37 AM
nice dry area like the river is perfect for the swamp cooler :cool:

rsr
01-20-2006, 07:44 AM
JetBoatRich - Any drawbacks that you know of to the moisture introduced into the air with the boat and or cabinets/etc?

Tom Brown
01-20-2006, 07:45 AM
The moisture should all be vented to the outside, not the inside.
At least, on any of the ones I've seen but then we don't see a lot of them in Canada.

JetBoatRich
01-20-2006, 07:53 AM
JetBoatRich - Any drawbacks that you know of to the moisture introduced into the air with the boat and or cabinets/etc?
I installed a swamp cooler in my house and have had no problems in two years :rolleyes: I think if you buy a decent unit, you should have no problems.
I have Central air, but wanted to cut back on the $500 power bill.

rivergoer
01-20-2006, 07:53 AM
we have or had a swamp cooler in our house at parker thing is freaking bad ass..

rsr
01-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the info so far. What size unit would you think would work for 20'x30' garage?

don johnson
01-20-2006, 08:53 AM
I am air conditioning my new garage. Reason I went air was that during monsoon season a swamp cooler is completely ineffective. Air cond can also bring down the temperature MUCH faster then a swamp cooler.

chub
01-20-2006, 09:35 AM
I am air conditioning my new garage. Reason I went air was that during monsoon season a swamp cooler is completely ineffective. Air cond can also bring down the temperature MUCH faster then a swamp cooler.
Totally agree re: monsoon season. We have both in our pad in Topock . When we go up we use the swamp for about an hour and that with a little ventilation pulls down the place much quicker than just the A/C. If it's just in the 90's :) we usually just run the swamp and it's sufficient and efficient. :rollside: :rollside:

Relaxalot
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
We use our house at the river about once a month during the year. About 3/4 of the time we need the a/c in the garage. This is only about 8 times per year so the financial impact is not that great. I am glad I put in regular ac vs. a swamp but if I was full time I would want both so I could choose and save some $$$. It also helps cool down the house faster. Make sure your garage door is insulated.

havaduner
01-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Our old pad had a swamp cooler in the garage. Not only did it help cool it down, but put out a nice amount of air, making for a nice breeze. Couldnt tell you the size, but was as big as we could get. We put it on the roof, ducted through the sheetrock right over the boat. Worked great. Helped that the garage and door are insulated.

2Driver
01-20-2006, 01:27 PM
If money's not an issue do both. We've had both in 2 river houses.
A/C is far far nicer, dryer and can be used with a heat pump to heat it in the winter if you ever need that. Swamper is nice from the standpoint it cools the space quickly due to the mass of air being pushed in. Also clears the garage air out quick. I just hated the humid air plus you are never comfortable in humid or excssive heat days. Maintence is a bit of a pain too with all the pads, pumps and crusty hard water build up.

JetBoatRich
01-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Maintence is a bit of a pain too with all the pads, pumps and crusty hard water build up.
This can be true, when not in use make sure to emty water and get a cover to keep dry and the unit from mold build up.

LHC Kirby
01-20-2006, 08:11 PM
I bought a very large portable swamp cooler from Home desperate last summer. I fill it each trip out, holds 50 gallons, blows cold air. I fill it with soft water, so the hard water build up does not happen. The nice part is with a two garage 26' deep with a 50' deep RV garage, being portable I can put it any where I want. I have even put it in the driveway, adjusted blower vent to blow up into the boat. when in the garage, it works fantastic. When the moonson comes, I just use the fan. Blows lots of air and really helps.
I can also hook up a hose to keep it full all day with out running out of water. But usually, I fill it - keeps enough water to last 4 days running about 3-4 hours a day. Drain it, pull the sides off to dry while I am gone.
Home Depot sells out Quickly, I "pre-bought" it before the summer season. But, I wanted to make sure I had one when I got out there for the summer. It cost about $600.00 last year around May or June.
Good Luck

Desert Rat
01-20-2006, 09:41 PM
I hear Master Cools are about the best going now and have a somewhat different pad set up. Know a few that have them and they swear by them!!

Rexone
01-20-2006, 09:49 PM
My brother uses on in Havasu, very effective and moisture hasn't been a problem.
I had a large on installed several years ago at our shop in Azusa too in the warehouse and it made a big difference. Moisture was never a problem there either.

clownpuncher
01-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Swampers are nice when it's not too humid. A lot cheaper to run than an A/C. I'm thinking of putting a Mastercool 6000cfm in my garage. Having a hard time finding one though.

Sanger Pete
01-20-2006, 11:26 PM
From my experience here in the central valley desert, a well maintained swamp cooler can lower the temperature in a space by 15-20 degrees. Not bad if it's 100* outside, but kind of lacking if it's 120*. The best way to install it is with "upducts" (vents that open when the cooler is turned on) into the attic space. This reduces the wind and the need to open a window or door, but also blows out that 150+* air in the attic, which will also help your ac cool the house. Just make sure your attic vents (to the outside) are sufficient for the additional volume.

blownupsleek
01-20-2006, 11:51 PM
How much would a swamp cooler cost for a 1600 sq ft garage?? (in Havasu) What size and make would that be??

Sigus
01-21-2006, 07:03 AM
From my experience here in the central valley desert, a well maintained swamp cooler can lower the temperature in a space by 15-20 degrees. Not bad if it's 100* outside, but kind of lacking if it's 120*. The best way to install it is with "upducts" (vents that open when the cooler is turned on) into the attic space. This reduces the wind and the need to open a window or door, but also blows out that 150+* air in the attic, which will also help your ac cool the house. Just make sure your attic vents (to the outside) are sufficient for the additional volume.
This is the methoud i chose and it works perfect. One other tip I got form the installer was to use a cap full of Downey in the water once in awhile.

Jerrys59
01-21-2006, 07:13 AM
I hear Master Cools are about the best going now and have a somewhat different pad set up. Know a few that have them and they swear by them!!
I have air and a swamper. Check out the MasterCool. Thats what I have . They have 1 pad and its 12 inchs thick, works great

Supultlbich
01-21-2006, 08:53 AM
We chose to have a swamp cooler put in the garage and went with a mastercool as well. Came highly recommended by the contractor and everyoneelse we spoke to. The house is not done yet so I cant comment on performance, however the ones we have seen do a great job.

rsr
01-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all the info so far, big help. Where's my Keyes? - how much for the mastercool unit that everyone is talking about, installed with with the ducts through the attic that everyone seems to suggest? Thanks in advance for the help.

rsr
01-23-2006, 08:16 AM
Bump

WHO WANTS TO GO TO THE SANDBAR
02-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Thinking of cooling the garage at the river to make it more comfortable during clean-up and maintenance. Wondering which is better - AC or Swam cooler? Obviously there will be a difference in price, but that's not the concern. Main concern is the moisture put into the air by the swam cooler and what negative effects, if any, it may have on the boat. What has been everyone else's experiences? Thanks in advance for any and all help. (FWIW garage is only 20'x30').
I 'm an A/C contractor , you don't live in the garage . Put in the swam cooler in. It won't work as well in August / September ( high humitiy) but the cost will be much cheaper.. Look in the attic and see if there is any insulation, bet there is not any. Also put in some power venting in your gable vents, push/ pull set up. You could put in a spilt a/c system ( cooling only) air handler in the attic with four vents & 1 return if money is not an problem. I can do the a/c for you..... Do the swam yourself.........

rsr
02-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Sandbar - thanks for the info - definitely think I'm going with the swamp cooler - looking at the mastercool slim wall unit - any idea how much these go for?

02-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Sandbar - thanks for the info - definitely think I'm going with the swamp cooler - looking at the mastercool slim wall unit - any idea how much these go for?I'M GOING TO HAVASU THIS WEEKEND, I THINK HOMER DEPOT SELLS THEM. THERE ARE SOME AC WHOLESALE HOUSE THERE AS WELL... WHERE DO YOU LIVE? I'M IN THE INLAND EMPIRE, I'LL GET U IT AT MY COST. $ 450-800. CHECK THE CFM ( 2000 /3500 CFM) I HAVE NOT BOUGHT A MASTERCOOL UNIT, HEARD GOOD THINGS MAKE SURE AN CHECK THE INSLULATION IN THE ATTIC IT WILL HELP. SWAMP IS THE RIGHT WAY TO GO .... I SHOULD BE CLOSE ON THE PRICE....

02-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Thanks for all the info so far, big help. Where's my Keyes? - how much for the mastercool unit that everyone is talking about, installed with with the ducts through the attic that everyone seems to suggest? Thanks in advance for the help.
YOU SAID YOU WANTED A SIDE DISCHARGE UNIT. CHECK AND SEE WHAT THE LENGTH AND WIDTH OF THE DISCHARGE.(14X14 ETC.) HERE IS A EASY WAY TO DO IT. I WOULD NOT DUCT IT.......... YOUR STUDS ARE MOST LIKELY 16 INCES ON CENTER... THE STUDS ARE 14" SIDE TO SIDE . CUT THE STUCCO AND DRYWALL 15 X15 BETWEEN THE STUDS, PUT A SLEEVE THROUGHT THE HOLE WITH A REGISTER ON THE DRYWALL SIDE. 1 1/2 ANGLE ON THE STUCCO SIDE. A FAST EASY WAY. YOU COULD PUT 2 IN THIS WAY... YOUR DUCT MUST BE 14 X 14 IN ORDER TO SLIDE BETWEEN THE STUDS MAKE A ANGLE SUPPORT ON THE OUTSIDE (1/4) ANGLE. IT WILL BE EASY TO MAINTAIN THIS WAY....QUESTIONS ???

rsr
02-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Sandbar - sounds good - the mastercool unit is a slim wall mount, ideal for garages, workshops, etc. Check it out @ www.slimwall.com - let me know what you think about it, if it is large enough for my application. I'm in Anaheim, always working out in the inland empire though. Thanks for your help and let me know what you think.

phebus
02-21-2006, 08:26 AM
What is the cost of the Master Cool slim wall unit? Do they sell them at Home Desperate?

SummitKarl
02-21-2006, 09:16 AM
Try a ductless A/C unit
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Ductless%2BAir%2Bcondition&hl=en&lr=&rls=RNWE,RNWE:2005-48,RNWE:en&sa=N&tab=ff&oi=froogler

02-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Sandbar - sounds good - the mastercool unit is a slim wall mount, ideal for garages, workshops, etc. Check it out @ www.slimwall.com - let me know what you think about it, if it is large enough for my application. I'm in Anaheim, always working out in the inland empire though. Thanks for your help and let me know what you think.THIS IS A PERFECT UNIT FOR YOU. I CHECKED THE CUT SHEET (LENGTH/WIDTH) I DIDNT SEE THE DEMENSIONS ? THEY SAID IT WOULD FIT IN BETWEEN THE STUDS... I CALLED COOL HVAC IN PHOENIX FOR YOU... THEY WILL SHIP FOR YOU A UNIT (HAVASU) UNDER MY CONTRACTORS LICENSE. THEY DON'T SELL TO THE PUBLIC.. THEY ARE CHECKING FOR A MASTERCOOL DEALER IN HAVASU FOR ME, SO YOU CAN BUY IT IN TOWN. TRY 411 AT THE LAKE AND SEARCH FOR HVAC VENDORS... THEY COME IN 3,000 CFM. IT SHOULD BE ENOUGH.. IF NOT BUY ANOTHER WON LATER... LATER...

Outnumbered
02-21-2006, 04:51 PM
THIS IS A PERFECT UNIT FOR YOU. I CHECKED THE CUT SHEET (LENGTH/WIDTH) I DIDNT SEE THE DEMENSIONS ? THEY SAID IT WOULD FIT IN BETWEEN THE STUDS... I CALLED COOL HVAC IN PHOENIX FOR YOU... THEY WILL SHIP FOR YOU A UNIT (HAVASU) UNDER MY CONTRACTORS LICENSE. THEY DON'T SELL TO THE PUBLIC.. THEY ARE CHECKING FOR A MASTERCOOL DEALER IN HAVASU FOR ME, SO YOU CAN BUY IT IN TOWN. TRY 411 AT THE LAKE AND SEARCH FOR HVAC VENDORS... THEY COME IN 3,000 CFM. IT SHOULD BE ENOUGH.. IF NOT BUY ANOTHER WON LATER... LATER...
I would be interested in one also, maybe a group buy deal? I'm in PHX and could pick it up direct. If its too much trouble where could I go get one myself?
Thanks

phebus
02-21-2006, 06:23 PM
I'd buy one also.

02-21-2006, 07:00 PM
I'd buy one also.
HEY GUYS I'LL CHECK INTO THE PRICE FOR YA ALL. REMEMBER YOU HAVE TO RUN A NEW DEDICATED CIRCUIT FOR THE COOLER (YOU SHOULD) AND A WATER LINE.... MY PRICE IS SOME SILVER BULLETS AT THE LAKE .... YOU GUYS IN PHX IF YOU GET A UNIT WILL WORK IT OUT LATER.... I AM NEW TO THE SITE SO I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SEND PRIVATE MESSAGE'S WITH MY CELL.. LATER KEN

Outnumbered
02-21-2006, 10:44 PM
HEY GUYS I'LL CHECK INTO THE PRICE FOR YA ALL. REMEMBER YOU HAVE TO RUN A NEW DEDICATED CIRCUIT FOR THE COOLER (YOU SHOULD) AND A WATER LINE.... MY PRICE IS SOME SILVER BULLETS AT THE LAKE .... YOU GUYS IN PHX IF YOU GET A UNIT WILL WORK IT OUT LATER.... I AM NEW TO THE SITE SO I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SEND PRIVATE MESSAGE'S WITH MY CELL.. LATER KEN
Thanks. Is a 20A dedicated OK? I have one already in the right location. Also have water (post softener) nearby. Should be an easy install.

ThongMagnet
02-21-2006, 11:20 PM
This is what I did to my garage (it is a 20 x 30 metal building in Phoenix). I cut a hole in the side of the garage and installed a window A/C Unit w/ heat. I bought it from Home depot ($400 last year's price). It puts off enough cold air to cool a 1600 sq ft home. a 20 x 30 garage is 600 sq ft. does not take long and you get the added benefit of heat for winter nights. :cool:

Flying Tiger
02-22-2006, 02:37 AM
I suggest ya feed the swamper into the garage,, then up dux it through the attic to help push that heat,, lowering the work of the home AC;
Up dux spring loaded vents:
http://www.updux.com/

BoatPI
02-22-2006, 06:04 AM
I have both in a larger Havasu house. I used a Phoenix cooler, about $1,800 installed. Make sure U get a 220 volt unit! But nothing cools down faster than A/C. Look at Phoenix as when I purchsed mine it had a plastic pan, will not rust.