PDA

View Full Version : Dental Work in Mexico (Algodones)

sdpm
11-02-2006, 01:47 PM
This is for anyone here or you might know that needs dental work and has no insurance or can't afford it in the USA, I am on my 4th trip down there for all my neglected dental needs and can tell you from experiance and with talking to all the others from all over the USA and Canada that have been going there for many years that it is first class and about 10 % of what it costs here. I know that I am going to get bagged on about going there and supporting Mexico and all the other crap that go's with that, but I could not afford what I needed done here in the US and needed it very bad. I felt very safe at all times while there and the service and doctors and nurses are wonderful. If anyone is even thinking about it all I can say is do it. You won't regret it.

Wild Horses
11-02-2006, 01:50 PM
My parents go there and have work done while they are snowbirding. They have been very happy with the work they do. (they are also picky)

Trailer Park Casanova
11-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Naaa, ya ain't gonna get bagged.
The local florist lady goes there and swears by it.
Get all your painkillers while you're at it down there too.

sdpm
11-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks Denis. I love you to! Jackass!! :) You know me, I'm not a hater.

ratso
11-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Can the painkillers be brought back "legally'?

Trailer Park Casanova
11-02-2006, 02:07 PM
If you have a reasonable amount, and they're in the pharmacy container then it's usually, but not always ok I'm told.

2Driver
11-02-2006, 02:09 PM
From what I've been told, no they can't!!
But don’t worry, when the infection the Mexican doctor gave you in your new mercury filling starts to abscess you'll be in US jail for trafficking narcotics and you will be taken care of. :D

ratso
11-02-2006, 02:13 PM
But don’t worry, when the infection the Mexican doctor gave you in your new mercury filling starts to abscess you'll be in US jail for trafficking narcotics and you will be taken care of. :D
I don't wanna be in some mexico prison with some 300 pound mexican dude saying "You sure got some purty teeth" :jawdrop:

ratso
11-02-2006, 02:14 PM
...oh yeah, that would be a US Prison. Phew, I was worried there for a minute.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-02-2006, 02:20 PM
If its 5 vicodin or codine tablets in a pharmacy envelope, you're fine so I'm told.
If it 1000 tablets of Oxicottin, then you're boned.
I've never done it so I can't say for sure.

2Driver
11-02-2006, 02:29 PM
The news did a big thing on it here a while back. I took away the following to be sure you are legal
Written prescription in the transporters name (meaning your stuff), no narcotics.
I guy from AZ was stuck in Mexican jail bringing back heart medicine for his wife about a year ago. The scrpt was in her name not his. They finally got him out but it took a while. I guess you take your chances on what day it is and who is looking for stuff. Not me.

sdpm
11-02-2006, 02:39 PM
When I went through customs they asked me if I was a US citizen, if I was declaring anything, purpose of my visit and on my way I went evertime. I did get a percription for some pain pills that the doctor gave me as well as some antibotics wich I filled there and brought back and they (customs) didn't even want to look in the bag! All the snow birds down there have bags and I mean BIG bags of drugs, pills, you name it and they never get even looked at either. I wouldn't chance it either bringing something back without a percription. Not worth it. Food and beer was also great and cheap.

unleashed
11-02-2006, 02:49 PM
We go to Algondonas every year over christmas and thanksgiving vacation. I get Somas, vicodines and several other drugs. They are 10 times cheaper there...I often sample the liquor as well and bring back cartoons of cigerettes for my parents. Customs are really cool there....literally there are 500 permanent snowbirds living accross the border in there motorhomes. They go there to get all the cheap drugs! You can drive your sandrail from buttercup or Glamis right to the border...pretty cool!
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

2Driver
11-02-2006, 03:00 PM
I get Somas, vicodines and several other drugs. They are 10 times cheaper there...I often sample the liquor as well and bring back cartoons of cigerettes for my parents.
Vicodine, Kaluaha, Marlboro's...don't forget the chicklets for desert :D :D

Mrs.Killer
11-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Ahhhh, there's nothing like having insurance in good ol USA...

Biglue
11-02-2006, 03:24 PM
I hear they import all their teeth from Kingman AZ..... :D

voodoomedman
11-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Ahhhh, there's nothing like having insurance in good ol USA...
Exactly.
I also wonder how cheap can it be to make the risks worth it.
I mean a my last filling was invoiced at 121 bucks. Although I pay very little after insurance is billed. But if I had to pay for it out of pocket I would still do it because I'd have to waste a whole day going into Mexico and all the worries that go with it and getting Mexican work done and I'd pay at least half of that in gas. Now maybe I could see it if you lived real close to the border but........

Outnumbered
11-02-2006, 03:31 PM
TPC ain't gonna bag on ya...he picked up his last dentist in front of Home Depot :rollside: :D :rollside: :D
J/K TPC. I Couldn't resist after the last bash TPC thread about supporting day laborers.

Outnumbered
11-02-2006, 03:35 PM
For what its worth. No way I would have anything done in Mexico unless it was an emergency. I'm sure the health officials are easily greased down there. You may end up with AIDS or Hepatitis from dirty drills and shit...no thanks. Call pe paranoid but no way :argue: BTW, I don't have dental insurance. I pay out of pocket. You can negotiate a cash discount with your dentist, just have to ask.

Mrs.Killer
11-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Exactly.
I mean a my last filling was invoiced at 121 bucks. Although I pay very little after insurance is billed. But if I had to pay for it out of pocket I would still do it because I'd have to waste a whole day going into Mexico and all the worries that go with it and getting Mexican work done and I'd pay at least half of that in gas. Now maybe I could see it if you lived real close to the border but........
I hear ya, i would never let any Mexico Doc work on me. I don't trust and third world country with my health....

SHOTKALLIN
11-02-2006, 03:42 PM
the home depot parking lot is full of pretty dental work for examples of the quality.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-02-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm duel (sic) insured, and still the out of pocket is expensive.
The peeps I know that go there seem to be happy.
I never would because I can afford not to, and yeah it is a risk.
Neighbor 14 year old girl died recently when her pnumonia was diagnosed by a local American doctor as childhood asthma.
In someone elses shoes, damfino. If I was broke, and needed the dental work badly,, maybe.

sdpm
11-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Exactly.
Voodo, I couldn't agree with you more. If I only had 1 cavity I would have done the same. I was hit in the mouth with a baseball bat when I was a kid standing in the on-deck circle and had 6 teeth busted out. When the dentist here in San Diego did the repait and crowns he did a lousy job. It has got to a point that now I have to have them fixed as well as 1 root canal and 1 bridge and some gum graphs to repair the damage. I was quoted $14,000 from my kids dentist and even higher from another. I have 3 more visits down there to finish up and my bill will be right around $1600.00. Everyone that I talked too there having work done or have had it done says the same thing and come back every year.
Yes, I wish I had insurance as well but I don't and alot of others don't either!
You should see all the older people down there that don't have insurance or their insurance won't cover it or only pay 60 or 80% and it is still cheaper for them to get it done there cash out of pocket. What do you do??

voodoomedman
11-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Voodo, I couldn't agree with you more. If I only had 1 cavity I would have done the same. I was hit in the mouth with a baseball bat when I was a kid standing in the on-deck circle and had 6 teeth busted out. When the dentist here in San Diego did the repait and crowns he did a lousy job. It has got to a point that now I have to have them fixed as well as 1 root canal and 1 bridge and some gum graphs to repair the damage. I was quoted $14,000 from my kids dentist and even higher from another. I have 3 more visits down there to finish up and my bill will be right around $1600.00. Everyone that I talked too there having work done or have had it done says the same thing and come back every year.
Yes, I wish I had insurance as well but I don't and alot of others don't either!
You should see all the older people down there that don't have insurance or their insurance won't cover it or only pay 60 or 80% and it is still cheaper for them to get it done there cash out of pocket. What do you do??
I understand your point costwise. But still there are many many risks you are taking. I'm sure there are many people down there raving about it. My Havasu neighbors do and their friends do the same thing. But tell me this. When your in Mexico and your car gets stolen and you didn't get Mexican insurance then where is your savings. When some hack screws up your mouth and your disfigured or can't eat straight and have no recourse then where is your savings. Again I understand and maybe some people have no other choice but my wife and I have busted our a$$e$ in order to be able to have good jobs with insurance and be able to afford the copays to see whatever doctors or dentists I choose in the good ol US of A.

HocusPocus
11-02-2006, 03:58 PM
my wifes parents have been going to mexico for years to get their dental work done for as long as i can remember, they have never had a bad experience. the dentist the use will even come in on a weekend if the appt is made in advance.

Mrs.Killer
11-02-2006, 04:01 PM
my wifes parents have been going to mexico for years to get their dental work done for as long as i can remember, they have never had a bad experience. the dentist the use will even come in on a weekend if the appt is made in advance.
Do you think they would continue to go if a bad experience happens?? You can't sue the Doc, because you won't be able to find him the next day....

HocusPocus
11-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Do you think they would continue to go if a bad experience happens??
if they had any kind of bad experience they would stop going. they guy they use has had the same office the whole time they have used him.
You can't sue the Doc, because you won't be able to find him the next day.... i know.. i have told them that. they don't have any medical or dental and no way can they afford a dentist in the states.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-02-2006, 04:06 PM
I used to know a dentist that worked in Mexico. He an American but practiced in Mexico becuase it was way cheaper overhead. Can't say that I would ever go to Mex for dental work though. I have a friend who has all her plastic surgery done there. No thanks!
:boxed:

Mrs.Killer
11-02-2006, 04:20 PM
And to think of all the illegals that live here in USA are getting free dental insurance, courtesy of your taxes. Some of you have to go to Mexico and still pay......Is the system screwed or what?????????? :mad:

sdpm
11-02-2006, 04:21 PM
I understand your point costwise. But still there are many many risks you are taking. I'm sure there are many people down there raving about it. My Havasu neighbors do and their friends do the same thing. But tell me this. When your in Mexico and your car gets stolen and you didn't get Mexican insurance then where is your savings. When some hack screws up your mouth and your disfigured or can't eat straight and have no recourse then where is your savings. Again I understand and maybe some people have no other choice but my wife and I have busted our a$$e$ in order to be able to have good jobs with insurance and be able to afford the copays to see whatever doctors or dentists I choose in the good ol US of A.
Again Voodo, I totally agree with you and great for you guys. There is a giant parking lot on this side of the border that is ran by an Indian Tribe that costs $3.00 to park and they have guards driving all around as well as overhead cameras. Believe me I felt the same way as you until I went. They have all the latest equiptment, computers, instant x-ray machines and very clean inside . These dentist have been there for many years with repete clients. If they were all that bad and had that many problems or illnesses I don't think they would still be there. Everything is referral for them. But you are right. I am taking a chance. Maybe even a pretty big chance. But what I have seen and heard from all the other "Americans" there, I feel very comfortable.
Trust me, I'm not advertising or suggesting that everyone go down there, but if you have no other choice I'm just letting others know that it is there and might work for them. That's all.

sdpm
11-02-2006, 04:23 PM
And to think of all the illegals that live here in USA are getting free dental insurance, courtesy of your taxes. Some of you have to go to Mexico and still pay......Is the system screwed or what?????????? :mad:
Yes it is TOTALLY screwed!

Trailer Park Casanova
11-02-2006, 04:28 PM
It's not Layatril vs Interlukin,, but the wife would cut my ballz off if she read this thread and me touting going down there.
Healthcare professionals like her and Mrs Killer say no.

Cole Trickle
11-02-2006, 04:28 PM
<---- not a huge fan of dentists.
I had a root canal done many years ago and it failed/started leaking. I get pain from time to time but it usually goes away after about 2-3 days.
I wen't to the dentist with a plan and they quoted me $2500.00 and then said I need to see a dental suregon before they can do there work.They estimated that with the plan it would cost me around 6K :cry: .(For something I already paid for 8 years prior)
Needless to say i will live with the pain vs. paying 6K.(I have considered the mexico route)
I dispise the dentist and only go for cleanigs and cavaties.

Mrs.Killer
11-02-2006, 04:34 PM
I had a root canal done many years ago and it failed/started leaking. I get pain from time to time but it usually goes away after about 2-3 days.
I wen't to the dentist with a plan and they quoted me $2500.00 and then said I need to see a dental suregon before they can do there work.They estimated that with the plan it would cost me around 6K :cry: .(For something I already paid for 8 years prior)
Needless to say i will live with the pain vs. paying 6K.(I have considered the mexico route)
Life is too short to have to deal with dental pain, 6k sounds good to be pain free.

sdpm
11-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Cole, I was in the same boat (no pun intended). Do you think I wanted to go there? Not by choice but it has been the best thing and experience ever. I was embarrased to post this but if it helps someone out then it was worth it. I have been living with pain and messed up theeth for along time now. It was keeping me up some nights. I, like you hate densist!! :mad: I had the worst when I was a kid because that is all that my parents could afford. I hated him with a passion. I am scared of them! Once I got down there and got things going it has been life changing. I wish I would have done it long ago. I'm sure anyone in health care thinks I'm an as*hole and stupid for doing this, but you do what you have to do.
Just because it is in the "good ol USof A" does not mean it is the best or right for that matter. You should see what my High End, Up Scale good ol USof A did to me the first go around.

acatitude
11-02-2006, 04:54 PM
I hear ya, i would never let any Mexico Doc work on me. I don't trust and third world country with my health....
check out the docs here in the states.... most of them came from 3rd world countries..... I had a house in mexico for years. I was never worried about the docs at the base in La Paz.... just as good as kiaser docs I figured

voodoomedman
11-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Just because it is in the "good ol USof A" does not mean it is the best or right for that matter. You should see what my High End, Up Scale good ol USof A did to me the first go around.
True. I will give you that. No matter where you go you need to do your research and be happy with the service, quality and price. It is then after that, that I want to be able to have some sort of recourse if something goes wrong.

Biglue
11-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Cole, I was in the same boat (no pun intended). Do you think I wanted to go there? Not by choice but it has been the best thing and experience ever. I was embarrased to post this but if it helps someone out then it was worth it. I have been living with pain and messed up theeth for along time now. It was keeping me up some nights. I, like you hate densist!! :mad: I had the worst when I was a kid because that is all that my parents could afford. I hated him with a passion. I am scared of them! Once I got down there and got things going it has been life changing. I wish I would have done it long ago. I'm sure anyone in health care thinks I'm an as*hole and stupid for doing this, but you do what you have to do.
I'm thinking one in your shoes would have done a little research and homework before deciding what you did. Reality is there is a whole lot of scary shit in Mexico which would make many folks leary of using a Dr. there. Another reality is that there is also some quality surgueons (sp?) doctors etc in other countries besides here in the USA. I could not foot a 16K dental bill to get my grill fixed. Truthfully I would have done what you did, after I found someone I was comfortable with down there if I had to. I have dental coverage but limited to $1500 a year, basically 10% of what you were quoted. Obviously its a gamble. And if you're on the loosing side of that gamble it would be harder if not impossible to be compensated for the malpractice. I would say the gamble odds are the same here in the USA. The only difference is that malpractice part. There is such things as malpractice insurance outside the US as well. If the Dr. fears loosing the life he's created for himself through a law suit, I'm sure he'll keep insurance like other Dr.s.
Bottom line is if it works for you then that's all the opinion you need. Best of luck to you.

Mrs.Killer
11-02-2006, 04:59 PM
check out the docs here in the states.... most of them came from 3rd world countries..... I had a house in mexico for years. I was never worried about the docs at the base in La Paz.... just as good as kiaser docs I figured
Thy may have come from a third world country, but they have to pass the exam here. Much more intense than Mexico.

Not So Fast
11-02-2006, 05:00 PM
What were they going to do?? I had an old root canal fail (tooth cracked) and after going to an endodontist (sp) then another specialist they said just remove the tooth, nothing we can do unless you want implants which were very costly and a long process. So they removed it and that was that, it was the last molar so there was no way for a bridge. Good Luck!! NSF

RitcheyRch
11-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Isnt that the truth.

SummitKarl
11-02-2006, 06:22 PM
I thought about doing the Mex thing being as I live in Havasu, but it just didn't seem like it was worth the risk with gas costs involved
I have been through ALOT!!! of dental work over the last year and have been paying cash. when it's $150 for a 3 side filling here, really it just didn't seem worth the 400mi or so round trip. I paid $450 for a gold crown here in Havasu with four trips to the Doc to get it to fit surely it was more cost effective to stay here, I am glad I did stay in the U.S. and pay cash, dentist will usually give you a better price if you tell them up front "I am paying cash" so there are no INS. hassles for them, I am also glad I stayed here because I found a GREAT!! dentist 1/4mi. from my home that I am very pleased with and I get a tax write off for it, so for me the Mex thing just didn't seem best.

sdpm
11-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Karl, this is one of the reasons I went there. My parents live in Havasu and my dad went to a dentist there in town and got an estimate for his work for $12,00.00. Then he went up to Kingman to see another dentist that someone reccommended. Was quoted close to $15,000.00. He was told from some snowbirds about this Algodones Dental area and told him to go see this Dr. Ramos (which now I have found out that he is very well known allover the USA). My dad is the kind of person from the old school and would have never even thought about going to Mexico for anything let alone Dental or Medical work. He and my mom decided to go and take alook and talked to alot of other americans there and after talking to the dentist and seeing there operation he decided to go for it. He called me after his first visit and had nothing but good things to say. When he was all done (after 4 trips there) he could not be happier. He said it was the best fitting dentures he has ever had and his crowns look perfect. They also removed all his silver fillings and replaced them with porcelin. His total bill was $2600.00. This is why I decided to go take alook myself. I am only 2hrs away and when I saw what he did and talked to others I decided to do it as well. Like you said, if it is only a simple filling or something minor do it here. I'm sure it is not for everyone. I just wanted others to know it was availible and let them know what it is all about. I think there are alot of people out there in my same situtation and don't know what to do and I just thought it might help. The more you ask around people here the more you will find people that go there or they know someone that does.

sam pioske
11-02-2006, 07:04 PM
I have been going to Mexican dentists for some time, now i go to Hungarian Dentists [Budapest] Good dentists usually Britts use German eqiupment----saved maybe 10K$ and what Night life for the few days !

Kilrtoy
11-02-2006, 07:11 PM
I dont care how much it cost
MY LIFE IS TOO IMPORTANT TO RISK LOSING OVER A FEW THOUSAND DOLLARS

sdpm
11-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Not everyone is as fortunate as you are. I think my life is important also. I think everyones is.

Kilrtoy
11-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Not everyone is as fortunate as you are. I think my life is important also. I think everyones is.
You own a boat?
Sell it and get your new grills

sdpm
11-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Your'e right.

3 daytona`s
11-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Karl, this is one of the reasons I went there. My parents live in Havasu and my dad went to a dentist there in town and got an estimate for his work for $12,00.00. Then he went up to Kingman to see another dentist that someone reccommended. Was quoted close to $15,000.00. He was told from some snowbirds about this Algodones Dental area and told him to go see this Dr. Ramos (which now I have found out that he is very well known allover the USA). My dad is the kind of person from the old school and would have never even thought about going to Mexico for anything let alone Dental or Medical work. He and my mom decided to go and take alook and talked to alot of other americans there and after talking to the dentist and seeing there operation he decided to go for it. He called me after his first visit and had nothing but good things to say. When he was all done (after 4 trips there) he could not be happier. He said it was the best fitting dentures he has ever had and his crowns look perfect. They also removed all his silver fillings and replaced them with porcelin. His total bill was $2600.00. This is why I decided to go take alook myself. I am only 2hrs away and when I saw what he did and talked to others I decided to do it as well. Like you said, if it is only a simple filling or something minor do it here. I'm sure it is not for everyone. I just wanted others to know it was availible and let them know what it is all about. I think there are alot of people out there in my same situtation and don't know what to do and I just thought it might help. The more you ask around people here the more you will find people that go there or they know someone that does.
Don`t listen to Mr. and Mrs. Kilr they don`t pay their own healthcare so not a worry.By the way the health care down there is A-O.K. The Line is out the door.

SMILEMAKER
11-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Yea, I love fixing/redoing all the cheap dental work people have done in mexico. To each their own, just my lousy opinion, I've only been an expert examiner for California Dental Board exams for 16 years. Ever heard the saying "ya gets whats ya pays for"!!!!!
Oh well, I'm just another "rich" dentist liv'n in the good old US of A.....
Pay me a little now or a lot later....
Later, Dr. Rick Lindley DDS FICD INC :D :D :D :D

Kilrtoy
11-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Don`t listen to Mr. and Mrs. Kilr they don`t pay their own healthcare so not a worry.By the way the health care down there is A-O.K. The Line is out the door.
See that is where u are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO WRONG
the wife paid thousands of dollars on her own making barely more than minimum wage when she was a teenager, WHY
because she wanted pretty teeth, Sometimes you speak , WAIT, almost all the time you speak way too soon without any facts

unleashed
11-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Bottom line is some people just can't afford health care and prescription prices here in the US. To sit here and belittle those people cause they have to go to Mexico to get stuff done is BS. There are a host of elderly people that campout all winter to get things done that they just CANNOT AFFORD to do here in the good ole USA. They are in fact taking a risk...but it is there risk that unfortunatly they HAVE TO TAKE! Pharmacutical companies, surgeons, HMO's have everything stacked in there favor here in the US. AFFORDABLE healthcare...is a joke. I make alot of money and pay out of my own pocket for insurance and it is ungodly expensive...I can't even imagine living on an average income and having to forkover so much money a month for healthcare. For the average wage earner I feel for ya!
Deano

Kilrtoy
11-02-2006, 08:19 PM
For the average wage earner I feel for ya!
Deano
Thank you,
Can I have some free clothes IM FREEZING
:boxed: :boxed: :boxed:

unleashed
11-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Thank you,
Can I have some free clothes IM FREEZING
:boxed: :boxed: :boxed:
Man...can you just post some photos of the lovely mrs Kilr...Please???? :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
You guys have to get to glamis sometime this winter...just get the kids some paddle tires and you're in. You're not that far you could make it a day trip with you and the son!
Deano

Trailer Park Casanova
11-02-2006, 08:23 PM
I have been going to Mexican dentists for some time, now i go to Hungarian Dentists [Budapest] Good dentists usually Britts use German eqiupment----saved maybe 10K$ and what Night life for the few days !
Did ya bring back and firecrackers and switchblades??

sdpm
11-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Deano, you are so right. Sure I could have sold my pontoon boat (maybe) to get my teeth fixed, but what about the older folks like you said (snowbirds) that are down there right now and more on the way that have no insurance or medicare or suplimental insurance. What do they do? They don't have that option. What happens to them? I saw it and talked to people that retired from good jobs and still can't get dental work here.

SummitKarl
11-02-2006, 08:32 PM
sounds like it is good for the big stuff, hopefully I am years away from needing the big work done, but yes I know plenty of people here that do go to Mex for their work, my neighbor across the street from me does it all the time, but he is retired and has the time to do it.
let your parents know from a guy that has seen many a dentist in San Diego, I am very pleased with Dr. Edward Hann 855.3000 in Lake Havasu, way cool Doc. and a VERY CUTE!!!! and highly modified :) dental assistant

Havasu1986
11-02-2006, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=SMILEMAKER]
Mt dentist who is also my freind and got his degree at U.S.C. is living large. A house in the hills of Yorba Linda. A house and boat on Canyon Lake. All the toys you need and vacations in tropical places. And only works 4 days a week. But he works his arse off. All because of insurance $

SummitKarl
11-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Bottom line is some people just can't afford health care and prescription prices here in the US. To sit here and belittle those people cause they have to go to Mexico to get stuff done is BS. There are a host of elderly people that campout all winter to get things done that they just CANNOT AFFORD to do here in the good ole USA. They are in fact taking a risk...but it is there risk that unfortunatly they HAVE TO TAKE! Pharmacutical companies, surgeons, HMO's have everything stacked in there favor here in the US. AFFORDABLE healthcare...is a joke. I make alot of money and pay out of my own pocket for insurance and it is ungodly expensive...I can't even imagine living on an average income and having to forkover so much money a month for healthcare. For the average wage earner I feel for ya!
Deano
Agreed you have to do what you have to do to make it, especially those on a fixed income, health care is ungodly expensive and it's a shame in this day and age the U.S. can't get it done as well as some other countries, it's a very expensive lesson I am learning right now, lost my eyesight in my left eye 3 weeks ago, $2500 later ($1400 in prescriptions) my vision is slowly returning, but I may face lower back surgery to completely stop this from happening again......I am going to need a HELOC just to see again :rolleyes: oh that hurt I not suppose to roll my eyes right now :rollside:

Kilrtoy
11-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Since it was deleted,
WOULD YOU GET OR LET YOUR WIFE GETA BOOB JOB IN MEXICO

Fast Freddy
11-02-2006, 09:01 PM
i went to nogie a couple months ago to get some "prescription drugs" the stuff i knew that they wouldn't let me cross the border without a doctors prescription. the pharmacy put it in a different non-prescription pill container and sealed it up all new so you couldn't tell that it had been tampered with. so when i crossed the border on foot the border patrol inspection station had no idea that the pills inside the bottle were not the ones that the bottle said they were, lol.
now here is the crazy part. i had some other medicine that i bought that i thought was legal to take across the border without a prescription and they said no you can't bring that across without a prescription. so i went back into mexico and walked like a 1/8 mile from the border crossing station along the border fence and threw my bag of goods over the border fence (it was night). i went back thru the border and once i got on the US side i walked the 1/8 mile from the station by the border fence and picked up my pills and was on my way.

Kilrtoy
11-02-2006, 09:08 PM
i went to nogie a couple months ago to get some "prescription drugs" the stuff i knew that they wouldn't let me cross the border without a doctors prescription. the pharmacy put it in a different non-prescription pill container and sealed it up all new so you couldn't tell that it had been tampered with. so when i crossed the border on foot the border patrol inspection station had no idea that the pills inside the bottle were not the ones that the bottle said they were, lol.
now here is the crazy part. i had some other medicine that i bought that i thought was legal to take across the border without a prescription and they said no you can't bring that across without a prescription. so i went back into mexico and walked like a 1/8 mile from the border crossing station along the border fence and threw my bag of goods over the border fence (it was night). i went back thru the border and once i got on the US side i walked the 1/8 mile from the station by the border fence and picked up my pills and was on my way.
Why did you not use your NORDIC to smuggle the dope into the USA

Fast Freddy
11-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Why did you not use your NORDIC to smuggle the dope into the USA
you know i have been on alot of forums. mostly car and motorcycle forums and what not. anyway, i see that you have over 25,000 posts on this site. that is just crazy. i have never seen anybody with that high of a post count on any site anywhere. whats even more amazing is that you have managed to achieve this high of a post count in less than 3 years time. do you post on any other sites?

cxr133
11-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Since it was deleted,
WOULD YOU GET OR LET YOUR WIFE GETA BOOB JOB IN MEXICO
HEY, i asked this on the other thread

Kilrtoy
11-02-2006, 09:37 PM
HEY, i asked this on the other thread
Ok it was not deleted

Windy
11-02-2006, 10:33 PM
My brother has cancer. Nothing is working to save his life. They caught the cancer too late.
My brother has excellent health coverage. He went to his doctor 3 times for right flank pain. Pain was getting worse, and the medications werent working. Finally my sis-in-law took him to her family doctor in Mexico, and thru a simple sonogram, that they didnt even do here, found a huge tumor attached to his spleen. He was already in Stage 3, and it had already spread. If she hadnt taken him to her doctor in Mexico, who knows what wouldve happened to my brother. :mad:
It really sucks...I cant imagine life without him, and this may be what we are facing, all because they caught it too late. :frown:
Do what you have to do to take care of yourself...

beerjet
11-02-2006, 10:54 PM
My best boys wife went down there and it was all good . cant wait till I need dental work .

CARLSON-JET
11-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Thanks for sharring your positive dental visit sdpm. I funny fact is for years we depended on brake parts for our cars made in mexico and I don't recall folks whining about how their lives were in danger. Now they are made in china. The rest of the world is catching up. I have to spend close to 6k on one tooth and I think it might be worth 2 vacations to have it done down there. I will be in phoenix for a few weeks in january. I will make it a point to go check it out. Again thanks for sharring as I have been thinking about this.

Mrs.Killer
11-03-2006, 06:38 AM
you know i have been on alot of forums. mostly car and motorcycle forums and what not. anyway, i see that you have over 25,000 posts on this site. that is just crazy. i have never seen anybody with that high of a post count on any site anywhere. whats even more amazing is that you have managed to achieve this high of a post count in less than 3 years time. do you post on any other sites?
ROOKIE, or should i call you newbe. Those that have been on here a long time know the his posts are more than 3 years old.....know the facts before you talk....

Bradman
11-03-2006, 06:55 AM
My brother has cancer. Nothing is working to save his life. They caught the cancer too late.
My brother has excellent health coverage. He went to his doctor 3 times for right flank pain. Pain was getting worse, and the medications werent working. Finally my sis-in-law took him to her family doctor in Mexico, and thru a simple sonogram, that they didnt even do here, found a huge tumor attached to his spleen. He was already in Stage 3, and it had already spread. If she hadnt taken him to her doctor in Mexico, who knows what wouldve happened to my brother. :mad:
It really sucks...I cant imagine life without him, and this may be what we are facing, all because they caught it too late. :frown:
Do what you have to do to take care of yourself...
That really sucks Windy. Your brother will be in our thoughts and prayers.

fatboy95
11-03-2006, 07:24 AM
This is for anyone here or you might know that needs dental work and has no insurance or can't afford it in the USA, I am on my 4th trip down there for all my neglected dental needs and can tell you from experiance and with talking to all the others from all over the USA and Canada that have been going there for many years that it is first class and about 10 % of what it costs here. I know that I am going to get bagged on about going there and supporting Mexico and all the other crap that go's with that, but I could not afford what I needed done here in the US and needed it very bad. I felt very safe at all times while there and the service and doctors and nurses are wonderful. If anyone is even thinking about it all I can say is do it. You won't regret it.
Are your teeth chromed???

prkr247
11-03-2006, 07:30 AM
[QUOTE=SMILEMAKER]Yea, I love fixing/redoing all the cheap dental work people have done in mexico. To each their own, just my lousy opinion, I've only been an expert examiner for California Dental Board exams for 16 years. Ever heard the saying "ya gets whats ya pays for"!!!!!
Later, Dr. Rick Lindley DDS FICD INC :
I couldn't agree more. I work for a dental company, so I too see all the redo of cases that were supposed to work for cheaper money. It's sad to see how many people do the wrong procedures and then how much it takes to fix the mistake. You definatly get what you pay for in dental....

lucky
11-03-2006, 07:43 AM
I don't wanna be in some mexico prison with some 300 pound mexican dude saying "You sure got some purty teeth" :jawdrop:
ohh sure you don't you dam benchracer

Mrs.Killer
11-03-2006, 07:45 AM
Yeah, listen to Mr. Daytona. He's in the same line. No insurance huh?? Sucks for you.

sdpm
11-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Yea, I love fixing/redoing all the cheap dental work people have done in mexico. To each their own, just my lousy opinion, I've only been an expert examiner for California Dental Board exams for 16 years. Ever heard the saying "ya gets whats ya pays for"!!!!!
Later, Dr. Rick Lindley DDS FICD INC :D :D :D :D
Dr. Lindley, I'm hopeing you will give me a truthful answer to this: Have you ever seen and or had to repair Dental work that was performed from someone here in the States? I'm no I'm not trying to be sarcastic either.

spectratoad
11-03-2006, 08:09 AM
The best part is no novacane, it's Tequila. :)

Wild Horses
11-03-2006, 08:12 AM
I couldn't agree more. I work for a dental company, so I too see all the redo of cases that were supposed to work for cheaper money. It's sad to see how many people do the wrong procedures and then how much it takes to fix the mistake. You definatly get what you pay for in dental....
I have seen for a fact that sometimes here in the good ole USA that there is no warranty with dental work. Get a crown, 6 months later it falls off you go back and have to pay for a new one.
Getting what you pay for is only as good as the people doing the work!!!!

2Driver
11-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Let's net it out.
People choose Mexican healthcare because they rank "cost" of treatment as a priority in picking a healthcare provider. Generally, people choose quality of treatment as their first priority. It a matter of priorities.
Take money out of the equation and I don’t think anybody would be rushing over the border for healthcare would they?

91nordic29
11-03-2006, 02:43 PM
the whole issue of medical/dental/prescription costs in the USA just disgusts me to no end. the cost for the premiums arethrough the roof. most people pay for insurance all thier lives and when one thing goes wrong... well you know what happens.
to get a root canal on a small tooth and a crown, $1200 out - of - pocket. ridiculous.
two daily prescriptions, $100 per month with insurance. and face it, after about age 40, things start happening/changing and as soon as you are diagnosed with even the smallest thing, heartburn e.g., you had better hope your insurance doesnt lapse for any reason. from then on, you will be "uninsurable" due to a "pre - existing condition". seniors typically have 3 or 4 prescriptions. with little or no coverage. some people just dont have a choice in the matter. there ought to be a law.
walmart and target have bugun offering $4 generic prescriptions. pretty soon others will have to follow.
as for going to mexico for dental work, more power to ya. whatever it takes. windy is right. most docs here are under pressure from the insurance industry and hospital board of director to think of the bottom line which, is not the patient. $$$$$$$
:mad: :mad:

11-03-2006, 07:49 PM
For my first post here (lurking a while) I will give some facts that may or may not change anyone's mind.
I am a dentist and without question, some of the most horrific dentistry I have seen and repaired has come from offshore clinics or dentists trained offshore. I don't expect you to understand the details but it is as if the provider had no training whatsover. It can be more than ugly. Socialized countrys are even worse than Mexico. The worst offenders; Japan, England, France and the eastern bloc countries. All very bad news. They will provide services that will cost you a license here.
I have a small practice and my fees are similar to some quoted here. I have been in practice for 16 years and just finished paying off my professional debts to get here. I don't know the margin on each procedure but at years end, 75 cents of every dollar (before taxes) goes to cover overhead. I have quality staff, use the best laoratories and materials and keep all my insurance coverages and education up to date. I write off $25-$50K each year for uncollected charges. The margin is not really profit in a investment sense, it is the wage I pay myself. I do well but primarily by working 70 hours a week.
I know several tradesmen who earn more per hour than I do and don't have a 8 plus year university education. I consider myself lucky so please don't take this a bitching. I could be digging ditches if just a few bad decisions were made or my luck ran out.
Dentistry is like doing fine detailed machine work but on a person's body. Things don't always go perfect. I stand behind everything I do (as do all my colleagues). I will repair/replace dentistry for people who are not honest enough to tell me they failed my instructions, got in a bar fight, brush with Mountain Dew etc. It is built into my fee.
It is an old cliche but usually, you get what you pay for. No exception here.
If you have a specific question and want a unbiased answer, PM me. I am way up north so I won't see you. I have nothing to gain by giving you an educated opinion.

SMILEMAKER
11-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Did you know that the " toothbrush" was invented in Parker?
Yea, if it was
from anywhere else it would have been called a "Teethbrush" j/k the joke is really arkansas....
Yes I re-do work from dentists in the USA, but the ratio of pt's that have lousy dental from mexico is much higher. I know dental work is very expensive here, and I'm sorry about that. I was sitting in my weekend home in Palm Desert drinking heavy ( I work 3 1/2 days) and responded, didn't mean to be such a smartass! I guess I just think that everything is too expensive nowadays, I can't remember the last time I made a purchase, and thought, geez that was cheap! Gas, homes,cars,home appliances, boats, repairs.
Your born with 32 teeth (hopefully) usually 4 wisdom teeth are extracted, leaving 28. Hopefully you take care of these, and live to be 80 years old.
Overall health is VERY much tied into oral health care. Good oral health will help you live a longer, healthier life. Yes I know having a bitch'n boat is really important, but shit guys......oh screw it, I'll shut up, I don't have the rhino skin sum of you guys have.
And I warranty all the work I do. If you spend $800 bucks on a crown in my office, I'll warranty it for 5 years, no questions asked, and if you get your teeth cleaned and checked on a regular basis, I will extend my warranty longer.
Sorry to rant, anyone ever want/need a FREE consult on their existing work or work done in mexico, call me, I'd be happy to help if I can, no obligation, this is not SPAM !
Later, doc sorry to cum off as an arogant assho&^, I'm just a big fat bald dentist trying to make my way!!!!!!