PDA

View Full Version : Best upgrade for the money on a 257 effex

blender over
11-03-2006, 02:28 PM
So i just purchased my first I/O 02 257 carrera Effex.
Went from 2 jetboats, then a 21ft tunnel whacker, now it's the carrera's turn.
Stock 496 HO, Brovo XR drive, duel hydrolic steering spinning a lab 26 pitch ronn Hill 4 blade prop around 5000rpm's.
Whats the best upgrade 4 the money motor wise to get a little more MPH out of the boat? :)
Is there any?
BTW can figure out how to attach photos correct :rolleyes:

dicudmore
11-03-2006, 02:34 PM
nice new ride Blender :cool:
People seem to be having good luck with headers--haven't heard of much else thats LIVING a reasonable time.

blender over
11-03-2006, 02:36 PM
nice new ride Blender :cool:
People seem to be having good luck with headers--haven't heard of much else thats LIVING a reasonable time.
Does the ECU need to be REprogrammed if you install Headers?

sigepmock
11-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Throw the Whipple on there and tune it MILD....that should get you a few MPH's :crossx:
Whipple for the 496 (http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1149)
Chris :)

dicudmore
11-03-2006, 02:39 PM
I don't think so, but Ultra 26 #1 did them on his boat and has some knowledge of the project

blender over
11-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Throw the Whipple on there and tune it MILD....that should get you a few MPH's :crossx:
Whipple for the 496 (http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1149)
I wish i could bearly afford this USED boat.LOL

dicudmore
11-03-2006, 02:41 PM
dude you should be on Dustin's payroll :cool:

blender over
11-03-2006, 02:42 PM
I don't think so, but Ultra 26 #1 did them on his boat and has some knowledge of the project
What speeds are you seeing with your new Whacker boat? Baller, Nice fing boat.

dicudmore
11-03-2006, 02:53 PM
What speeds are you seeing with your new Whacker boat? Baller, Nice fing boat.
a little south of 70 according to my ins. agent :wink:

blender over
11-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Nice whos your insurance agent? Jerrys kids??

dicudmore
11-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Nice whos your insurance agent? Jerrys kids??
you should see the pics I sent them of the boat...very strategically taken...shows the sides nicely, but not so much the bottom, or the bow...and you really cant see the second blender in the pics :220v:

sigepmock
11-03-2006, 03:18 PM
dude you should be on Dustin's payroll :cool:
Just trying to work on my "deal"...I still have a long way to go.... :cry:
Nice boat Blender....congrats. I know John put the CMI headers on his 496 HO in the first Ultra 26 Deck of his and he had nice speed results but he said the install was a pain and he had to relocate a bunch of engine mounted stuff. He said it was a lot of work for not a ton of gain. I think you and I are in the same boat speed wise, only a big change like the Whipple is really going to get us any noticable speed increases. I can't tell the difference between 70 and 75mph accept for the speedo....so I'm saving for the big jump.
Chris

Cole Trickle
11-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Leave it alone.
The CMI headers are nice but expect to pay more than a 1,000 for every MPH.(I think you would be lucky to pick up 3mph for 5K)
Raylar kits work for some people and others have problem$$. :cry:
I wouldn't put FI on a HO if you want it to last.
Stick a TPI 848 in there when you have enough $$ saved. :p

XtrmWakeborder
11-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Maybe BB572 will sell you his engine out of his 257. Thats a nice upgrade.....

phebus
11-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Save your money on upgrades, and spend it on fuel. Seat time is probably the best way to gain speed at first. Learn what trim the boat likes at different speeds and in different water conditions, and you will be faster, and happier in the long run.

boatnam2
11-03-2006, 04:49 PM
i would do quite a bit of research before spending your dollars make sure it what you want to do and how you want to do it,been there done that.you could go with the whipple or pro charger,seen gains 10-15 mph been in boat kinda like yours with a procharger and it ran nice.the motor will then be suspect also the drive will come into play after 600 hp.save your money and build a nice unblown deal with what you got for about the same price and make about the same hp.can get a 700hp motor from reher morrison for about what a charger set up will run and have a nice motor sell your old motor to help pay for it.lots of options putting exhaust on a 496 to gain a mph if that waste of money imo.

Robbie Racer
11-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Save your money on upgrades, and spend it on fuel. Seat time is probably the best way to gain speed at first. Learn what trim the boat likes at different speeds and in different water conditions, and you will be faster, and happier in the long run.
phebus is right on. I have the same hull and I can see a 9 mph difference between "good" and "not so good" water conditions with the same power set up.

MOBrien
11-04-2006, 03:02 PM
phebus is right on. I have the same hull and I can see a 9 mph difference between "good" and "not so good" water conditions with the same power set up.
hahaha.....Keith, is there really a diff between 133 and 142? LoL :crossx:

acatitude
11-04-2006, 10:44 PM
hahaha.....Keith, is there really a diff between 133 and 142? LoL :crossx:
lol thats for sure mo..... I agree with boatnam, enjoy your boat as is. if you want a go fast save your money and build a big motor, and get a bigger drive dont mess with your 496, its not worth the hp yu will gain, imo

Flying Sterling
11-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Dana Trim Tabs!!! Hands down after!! you spend a ton on gas and seat time.
I can plane mine at about 18 mph!! YEP!! IT stays planed about 18 mph and I use them for brakes!! super cool thing to have! Did you pay close for that boat to what you wanted to pay for one?? Again Congratulations! When you taking it out?

blender over
11-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Dana Trim Tabs!!! Hands down after!! you spend a ton on gas and seat time.
I can plane mine at about 18 mph!! YEP!! IT stays planed about 18 mph and I use them for brakes!! super cool thing to have! Did you pay close for that boat to what you wanted to pay for one?? Again Congratulations! When you taking it out?
I got a great deal on the boat, i just keep looking i got the deal i wanted. :)
I will be out at the christmas parade in havi.

ULTRA26 # 1
11-15-2006, 07:21 PM
The ECU seems to be handling the extra breathing room just fine without a reprogram. From past experiance, HO's run very rich from the factory, resulting in black transom. The CMI's leaned the motor out so not as much soot on the back. The headers will take a full day to install due to the need to relocate the shifter plate, the fuel pump, the remote oil filter, the power steering tank and the ecu. The result of the CMI install was more top speed (about 4 mph) much better midrange acceleration, better sound and they look good. If I can help you any questions, let me know
John M

Mandelon
11-15-2006, 08:00 PM
You could try a different prop or get your labbed, it might gain you a mph or two. But if you wanted to go fast, why'd you buy that boat? Carreras are laid up heavy and solid. Passengers don't like it over 50 mph anyway.
Spend your money on liquor and music!!! :p

BADBLOWN572
11-15-2006, 08:09 PM
But if you wanted to go fast, why'd you buy that boat? Carreras are laid up heavy and solid. Passengers don't like it over 50 mph anyway.
Actually, the fastest single engine boat (of that size and type) that I know of is a Carrera. 140+ mph out of a standard layup boat that is an open bow and has a sound system that will rock pretty much anything out there. :)
I know that Robbie Racer's boat does 130+ without a problem. Mine did 118 as an open bow. The hulls love 120+ mph. :) They really start coming alive at around 75-80mph. :)
I know that there are other boats out there that will run faster with the same power, but as an overall go fast hotrod, I think that the Carreras are the way to go. :)

Havasu Carrera
11-15-2006, 08:47 PM
I talked to a guy last summer and he (stated) His father built his motor and he claimed a top end of like 140. Not to doubt or ?? BTW my jet boat ran hard but My Carrera hauls 5 times the weight and cargo and goes faster and its detuned! I know Jet boats suck.

abraman1326
11-16-2006, 01:41 PM
You could try a different prop or get your labbed, it might gain you a mph or two. But if you wanted to go fast, why'd you buy that boat? Carreras are laid up heavy and solid. Passengers don't like it over 50 mph anyway.
No offense, but I've been a passanger in an efx 257 over 50 mph, and have been completely happy. Blew my mind how quick Robbie Racers runs. It's a mean machine. Carrera is a great manufacture, and I'd have nothing bad to say about them. Congrats on the purchase. If you need and advice, contact badblown 572, or robbieracer. They'll take care of you...
BRA

blender over
11-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Your a typical hot boat asshole :hammerhea

blender over
11-16-2006, 03:22 PM
I talked to a guy last summer and he (stated) His father built his motor and he claimed a top end of like 140. Not to doubt or ?? BTW my jet boat ran hard but My Carrera hauls 5 times the weight and cargo and goes faster and its detuned! I know Jet boats suck.
Are you refering to me?

11-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Your a typical hot boat asshole :hammerhea
each to his own if eveyone liked the same thing we all be buying
DCB

ULTRA26 # 1
11-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Stock 496 HO, Brovo XR drive, duel hydrolic steering spinning a lab 26 pitch ronn Hill 4 blade prop around 5000rpm's.
Whats the best upgrade 4 the money motor wise to get a little more MPH out of the boat? :)
Is there any?
I thought I should clarify my thoughts on CMI's. Yes they were a hassle to install. Yes they are pricey. The boat performs considerablly better from the time to plane to top speed and everything in between. If I had it to do over again, I would install CMI's. To me, the perforamnce gains are worth the price and hassle. Just my .02
John M

acatitude
11-18-2006, 10:55 PM
guess this boy never been in or raced against robbie racers carrera. If so youd bow down and kiss the water he blew in your face. 137 at bridge to bridge last year and I believe 3rd overall against all the big twins, tells me thats one bad ass carrera pal. id know the ass end of his boat anywheres :cry:

Mandelon
11-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Those guys get all that speed out of a stock 496HO? NOT......Read the post to which I refer....that's what Blender stated he had.
He doesn't have a big HP motor or a whole lot of $$$ to blow. If you put giant HP in a cat, then obviously it will run fast. No argument there.
The Carrera I had was laid up heavy, really thick and solid especially the bottom. My point was that if he had X dollars to spend and all he wanted to do was go fast, then maybe that wasn't the right kind of boat, with that power. Kinda sucks to buy something and not be happy with it.
I'm no Carrera hater. But Phuck you guys anyway. :p

phebus
11-19-2006, 09:42 AM
That is the path I went.
I agree with Mandelon, the boat has the potential to go fast, but the way the boat is set up, if he wanted a go fast boat, he would have been better off buying something else, rather then starting over on the platform he has.

Kilrtoy
11-19-2006, 10:30 AM
each to his own if eveyone liked the same thing we all be buying
DCB
Gotta love it, No matter what the conversation is, the Worlds Best is always mentioned

rrrr
11-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Gotta love it, No matter what the conversation is, the Worlds Best is always mentioned
I think kilrtoy does a daily forum search for "DCB"....... :crossx: :D

CornWater
11-19-2006, 12:22 PM
I think kilrtoy does a daily forum search for "DCB"....... :crossx: :D
ctrl F ???
:D :D

Mandelon
11-19-2006, 09:44 PM
That is the path I went.
I agree with Mandelon, the boat has the potential to go fast, but the way the boat is set up, if he wanted a go fast boat, he would have been better off buying something else, rather then starting over on the platform he has.
WooHoo, I knew someone else here had to have some sense. :cool: :rollside:

acatitude
11-19-2006, 10:28 PM
did someone say HOWARD :rollside: :rollside:

acatitude
11-19-2006, 10:39 PM
well mandelon your statement if you read it says why buy a carrera if you want to go fast. you make no mention of motor packages. It sounds like a slap on heavy laid up slow carreras. buy liquor instead?? mmmmm still sounds to me like a slap against carreras in general.
thats what im refering to. no boats gonna go fast with a 496. :rollside: :rollside:

Mandelon
11-20-2006, 08:17 AM
I guess I should have been more specific. I don't think the 257 deck with a 496 is gonna blow the doors off of anybody. How's that?
I don't doubt you guys have some Carreras that haul the mail. I read just this morning in an old issue of ***boat about a test 257 that was banging 100 with a Teague 800. No doubt that is fast.

phebus
11-20-2006, 08:25 AM
I guess I should have been more specific. I don't think the 257 deck with a 496 is gonna blow the doors off of anybody.
You just burst my bubble :cry: .........................bastard :)

11-20-2006, 09:36 PM
each to his own opinion

Kilrtoy
11-20-2006, 09:54 PM
each to his own opinion
Dont get upset,
We all cant be fat, stuck up and live in dream worlds :boxed:

Pussywhippled
11-21-2006, 08:08 AM
no boats gonna go fast with a 496. :rollside: :rollside:
True...

blender over
11-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Is there any?
Im not looking to do 100mph with this motor boat combo, im looking 4 a little more mph out of the boat just like my first post says :boxed: so i believe i made the right boat choice considering i paied alot less then it blue books for . :)

blender over
11-22-2006, 09:57 AM
That is the path I went.
Read my above post :rolleyes:

ULTRA26 # 1
11-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Im not looking to do 100mph with this motor boat combo, im looking 4 a little more mph out of the boat just like my first post says :boxed: so i believe i made the right boat choice considering i paied alot less then it blue books for . :)
I believe that CMI's and a true Merc labbed prop will give you 5 mph, easily.
John M

James'SS-24
11-24-2006, 04:22 PM
What I did after I bought my HTM with the 496 was save my money for a couple of years and learned to drive a tunnel and then bought the whipple. Best money I ever spent! :boxed: Cleaned up the transon gained 20 mph and still runs like stock and so far has been reliable. It'll run mid 90's gps anytime on Pleasant! I'm by no means the fastest on the lake but I don't half be be either. I'm happy now that I can put away all those damn fishing boats!

ULTRA26 # 1
11-24-2006, 06:04 PM
What I did after I bought my HTM with the 496 was save my money for a couple of years and learned to drive a tunnel and then bought the whipple. Best money I ever spent! :boxed: Cleaned up the transon gained 20 mph and still runs like stock and so far has been reliable. It'll run mid 90's gps anytime on Pleasant! I'm by no means the fastest on the lake but I don't half be be either. I'm happy now that I can put away all those damn fishing boats!
Just curious how long you've been running the Whipple? Sorry to go off topic
John M

James'SS-24
12-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Just finished season #3 but I've only put just over 50 hours on it. The last couple of years I haven't used it very much. Since I moved down here to AZ I haven't found the time to go like I used to! :)

PLASTIC MAN
12-11-2006, 10:14 PM
MINE RAN A BUCK 14 AT THE POWER BOAT SHOOTOUT A FEW YEARS BACK!
800 TEAGUE, B-MAX DRIVE. GREAT BOAT! I WOULD JUST PUT GAS IN IT AND LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/2605cat3.jpg

Kilrtoy
12-11-2006, 10:28 PM
800 TEAGUE, B-MAX DRIVE. GREAT BOAT! I WOULD JUST PUT GAS IN IT AND LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!
John and Michelle are doing just fine in that ride now

Throttle
12-11-2006, 10:43 PM
headers... cmi are about $4500.00 - i think they claim 60 more ponies (?)

98 Vector 21
12-12-2006, 07:34 AM
:sleeping: thanks :D
:supp:

blender over
12-12-2006, 07:49 AM
Got any more pics of this boat and Motor??
That is 1 good looking Carrera!!!:mix:

blender over
12-28-2006, 07:33 AM
I can across some Sterlling water jacketed header Risers, does any 1 know if the will fit on the stock 496 mag ho manafold's, the bolt pattern looks the same, and if they did, would there be any benefit on installing them?:idea:
Thanks