PDA

View Full Version : my 78 sanger

e514jet
11-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Its a start with alot of potential. Its my first jet.. Building the 514 for it now. my jet pump has been completely upgraded for high performance use. Have the usual goodies, custom impeller, droop snoot, anti cavitation impeller, performance loader etc... Had some exhaust holes to patch in the back which are finished now.I will be running big tube headers. paint and interior work will come later....E

e514jet
11-03-2006, 03:59 PM
pics

El Prosecutor
11-03-2006, 04:06 PM
pics
Cool project. I like the way the transom transitions in to the jet on those.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19497

b's sanger
11-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Nice Sprint Jet. Gotta love the Old School thing.

e514jet
11-03-2006, 06:55 PM
thanks B sanger......hoping to get mine looking as good as yours and scott
dominators sangers.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E

beerjet
11-03-2006, 07:06 PM
The gel on that thing is sexy, it can use some help but sexy none the less.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19497
-beerjet-

OverKill
11-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Hey are those bass boat seats ???

67weimann
11-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Nice boat...wish mine started out looking that good... :crossx:

e514jet
11-04-2006, 05:54 AM
overkill, yes I believe they are BB seats. been looking at alot of other sangers and other jet boats in general to see how they should look. I figure that one out later. Previous owner put those in there.
The top is paint and gel and yes it looks better in the pic than it really is. A few chips and nicks. I have some friends that are excellent painters. I'll work a deal with them later...
thanks again for the comments.....Eric

eek-a-RAT
11-04-2006, 08:21 AM
woo hoo!! another sanger on the lake!
i have a 1980 s/j

Dominator Scott
11-04-2006, 09:20 AM
overkill, yes I believe they are BB seats. been looking at alot of other sangers and other jet boats in general to see how they should look. I figure that one out later. Previous owner put those in there.
The top is paint and gel and yes it looks better in the pic than it really is. A few chips and nicks. I have some friends that are excellent painters. I'll work a deal with them later...
thanks again for the comments.....Eric
Very nice platform to start from pal. I still owe you an email with pics and haven't forgotten about you. I have a TON of pics from my Sanger project so just give me an idea of what you want and I will send them to you. :rollside:

Dominator Scott
11-04-2006, 09:23 AM
E514jet,
It's too bad your not here in Michigan. I would tell you to bring it over and we could back her in my garage and go to town on that thing. My dads Sanger is all but finished so I have nothing to do over the winter now. :rolleyes:

DelawareDave
11-04-2006, 09:49 AM
E514jet,
It's too bad your not here in Michigan. I would tell you to bring it over and we could back her in my garage and go to town on that thing. My dads Sanger is all but finished so I have nothing to do over the winter now. :rolleyes:
I have one I can ship up your way if you get bored, lol. :rollside:

Dominator Scott
11-04-2006, 09:57 AM
I have one I can ship up your way if you get bored, lol. :rollside:
Ship it along with the $$$$$ you plan on spending and I will take care of it for you. :rollside: I was so pleased at how well my fathers turned out I wouldn't mind doing something like this on the side for a little extra coin.

LakesOnly
11-04-2006, 10:59 AM
E,
I'd like to hear more about the 514 Ford you are building for this boat. What's the combo? Also, have you bored your block yet and if not, is it still std bore?
LO

e514jet
11-05-2006, 09:36 AM
LO, pretty simple combo..Block is (69 i think)the good one with thick webs bored .080, 4.30 stroke cast crank, 6.700 eagle rods, JE dish pistons to keep the compression down, lunati 31605 cam (615/622 lift with 1.73 rockers 245/255@50) , Iron C8VE-E heads upgraded with the bigger valves with some porting and bowl blending, weiand port O sonic intake. Probably will run an 850 top. I would of ran probably the edelbrocks but, I'm running in brackish water. E

LakesOnly
11-05-2006, 12:44 PM
LO, pretty simple combo..Block is (69 i think)the good one with thick webs bored .080, 4.30 stroke cast crank, 6.700 eagle rods, JE dish pistons to keep the compression down, lunati 31605 cam (615/622 lift with 1.73 rockers 245/255@50) , Iron D8VE-E heads upgraded with the bigger valves with some porting and bowl blending, weiand port O sonic intake. Probably will run an 850 top. I would of ran probably the edelbrocks but, I'm running in brackish water. ESounds like a 533-inch motor, based on the .080 overbore and the 4.3 stroke crankshaft. Those are nice engines. Hopefully you meant C8VE-E heads and the "D8VE" was a typo (actually there are no D8VE heads).
Sometime down the road, you may want to look into a carb and intake upgrade, in order to get a few more HP out of it, but overall the engine ought to run strong at 5K just as it is.
LO

Mr. Crusader 83
11-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Jax FL huh??? i just moved to Tampa. when you get that beast done we will go fly around the lakes

e514jet
11-05-2006, 03:03 PM
LO,
I have the next stroke down (4.25) I think to make it around a 514. I was mistaken on the stroke of the crank. Yes typo on the heads C8VE-E was right. thanks for correcting me... I'm hoping to have a torquemonster for not only hole shot but, for running on the big end to.
LO, noticed you live in mountain view. I grew up in sunnyvale in my young kids days. lived there for about 9 years. Went to hollenbeck.
A friend I work with has a very simular motor with ported edelbrock heads
with the stock valve size with a victor intake in a Borum jet. He's running in
the 80's with his and it hole shots hard. He has a reworked pump as well.
He's on the site from time to time.
Crusader, sounds good. I know several guys that go to spring glen and other
lakes....
E

BILLY.B
11-06-2006, 07:27 AM
Love these boats. Looks good. Nice project boat. Not to hijack this thread but if anyone is looking for one of these I have one that is in extremely extremely nice condition. 1980 sprint with less then 20hrs on the hull. My first complete paint job. I'll try and get v-drive video to post a pic.

wsuwrhr
11-06-2006, 07:40 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63Billys20Jet1.jpg

wsuwrhr
11-06-2006, 07:41 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63Billys20Jet5.jpg

wsuwrhr
11-06-2006, 07:42 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63Billys20Jet4.jpg

wsuwrhr
11-06-2006, 07:45 AM
Nice start BTW.
Brian
Its a start with alot of potential. Its my first jet.. Building the 514 for it now. my jet pump has been completely upgraded for high performance use. Have the usual goodies, custom impeller, droop snoot, anti cavitation impeller, performance loader etc... Had some exhaust holes to patch in the back which are finished now.I will be running big tube headers. paint and interior work will come later....E

e514jet
11-06-2006, 07:48 AM
WSUWRHR,
Nice!!! I hope to have a nice paintjob someday on mine as well. Don't know
that it will be that wild a paint scheme but, it sure keep my mind moving. E

sanger mike
11-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Love these boats. Looks good. Nice project boat. Not to hijack this thread but if anyone is looking for one of these I have one that is in extremely extremely nice condition. 1980 sprint with less then 20hrs on the hull. My first complete paint job. I'll try and get v-drive video to post a pic.
um, wern't you told before that you CAN NOT SELL THAT BOAT. :crossx: now put that motor back in the boat and keep a piece of history. :cry:

wsuwrhr
11-06-2006, 07:52 AM
um, wern't you told before that you CAN NOT SELL THAT BOAT. :crossx: now put that motor back in the boat and keep a piece of history. :cry:
That boat is, and has been, ready to go boating.
I think it is silly to sell myself. I would find a place to keep it and use it.
Brian

wsuwrhr
11-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Not my boat sir, Billy B's Sanger Sprint.
But thank you nonetheless.
I only posted the pictures that Billy B alluded to.
Brian
WSUWRHR,
Nice!!! I hope to have a nice paintjob someday on mine as well. Don't know
that it will be that wild a paint scheme but, it sure keep my mind moving. E

Dominator Scott
11-06-2006, 08:16 AM
E514jet, I just sent you a bunch of pics of my Sanger restoration project to you email buddy. :rollside: Enjoy.

sanger mike
11-06-2006, 08:55 AM
That boat is, and has been, ready to go boating.
I think it is silly to sell myself. I would find a place to keep it and use it.
Brian
whoops my bad. I thought billy took the motor out and was selling without the motor. :)

LakesOnly
11-06-2006, 09:13 AM
So Billy,
Is your boat for sale WITH the Boss 9? Inquiring minds want to know.
:idea: Also, if only the hull is for sale: :idea: One of my partners has an old top fuel rear engine dragster hanging overhead in his garage...until he finds time to bring it up to tech and run for giggles. You just can't help but look at it when you walk in...soooooo, WHY NOT hang your first paint job from the ceiling of your building? Hull upside down, showing off the work that has stood the test of time. :crossx:
Hey E514, you probably have a 4.14 or 4.15 stroke crankshaft. That will be one hell of a jet boat motor with the C8VE heads. Good porting mandatory. ;)
LO

wsuwrhr
11-06-2006, 09:13 AM
I thought billy took the motor out and was selling without the motor. :)
You got the second part dead on.
Boat is still ready to go.
Brian

wsuwrhr
11-06-2006, 09:15 AM
As far as I know, it WOULD be, however he knows what he has, and it isn't a fire sale. For the right price the boat could go down the road as it is.
This boat is too nice to hang from a ceiling. It needs to be wet.
Brian
So Billy,
:idea: Also, if only the hull is for sale: :idea: One of my partners has an old top fuel rear engine dragster haning from his garge...until he finds time to bring up to tech and run for giggles. WHY NOT hang your first paint job from the ceiling of your building? Hull upsode down, shoing off the work that has stood the test of time. :crossx:
Hey E514, you probably have a 4.14 or 4.15 stroke crankshaft. That will be one hell of a jet boat motor with the C8VE heads. Good porting mandatory. ;)
LO

BILLY.B
11-08-2006, 06:38 AM
So Billy,
Boat is for sale minus engine. Engine already has a new ride it's going in. Boat is for sale for $8000 obo. Boat is a steal if you think about it. Buying a used jet hull that will need some glass work, paint work, upholstery, custom installation, (jet blueprinting, and bottom blueprinting) which was done by GS Marine would easily cost you double this amount. Don't be fooled by the age of this hull 1980. It has always been stored inside and the last time it was used was 18yrs ago. Except for a couple of chips on the cap and the trailer does need to be repainted (rock chips) if you want it cherry the boat is in perfect condition. The owner is willing to deal!!!.

e514jet
11-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Billy B, S Dominator, B sanger, what brand primer and paint did you use?
which flows the best and leaves the best finish?
thanks E

sanger mike
11-08-2006, 09:05 AM
e514. do you know what intake you have in your sanger ?. it should be like mine. if it is, now would be a good time to put a shoe and ride plate in it. it sounds like you are going to have some good HP and if you don't do this you are going to be very disaponited in your sanger on the top end. the problem is in the intake that sanger had made for the super jet. its good for 450 HP and about 65-70 MPH BUT AFTER THAT you will suffer severe cavitation. and no matter what you do the problem will be there. this would be the best bang for your dollar on that boat. talk to jack at MPD or duane at high tech and they can tell you more.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/115192.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/115195.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/115mcc_013.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/115Pump_mockup2.jpg

Dominator Scott
11-08-2006, 09:28 AM
My dads Sanger Super Jet has a ride plate on it but it's not as long as the one in the above pic. Would a longer ride plate help me in any way?
What exactly is a shoe and what does it do? Are they difficult to install or just bolt on?
Would a shoe help me with only a 350HP 460 motor?

e514jet
11-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Sanger mike, yes I have the same one in my boat. I've been working with pro
boat in GA. I will ask about that. They did mention something about a the
ride plate. I have a ski ride plate which is the shorty. Probably standard on most sangers.

Sanger Jet
11-08-2006, 01:53 PM
I have a 532BBF and a shoe'd and snooted/place diverted :220v: JG pump and I definetly need a longer ride plate boat is hard to keep safe :skull:

b's sanger
11-08-2006, 02:49 PM
thanks E
Billy painted my ride. I have to defer to him.

Dominator Scott
11-08-2006, 02:53 PM
thanks E
MitcherT did my paint work so I can't really comment on what to use.

sanger mike
11-08-2006, 05:38 PM
My dads Sanger Super Jet has a ride plate on it but it's not as long as the one in the above pic. Would a longer ride plate help me in any way?
What exactly is a shoe and what does it do? Are they difficult to install or just bolt on?
Would a shoe help me with only a 350HP 460 motor?
D.S. yes it would help your dads sanger. one thing that i see is your droop is short. i had the short droop on the first round when i started working on the sanger and was told that it was not the correct one. now i have the medium droop. one thing about these sanger's is they are a real BITCH to tune when you want to go fast but I have always loved them since i was a kid. im not sure if the snoot from high tech will work or not. after i get a good base line on the boat this summer i'll go in halves with a firend and test it on both are boats. that way the cost wont hurt so much. oh the intake would have to come out of the sanger and then the shoe is machined in to it. just get your self some alum plate and make it longer with some bracing on top to keep it stiff and then come of the bowl to brace it and pull off the ones on the hull. :) take a look at the back of billy's sanger thats where you want it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/115mcc_002.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/115kkk_048.jpg

sanger mike
11-08-2006, 05:41 PM
I have a 532BBF and a shoe'd and snooted/place diverted :220v: JG pump and I definetly need a longer ride plate boat is hard to keep safe :skull:
S.J. do you have the snoot from high tech, if so how do you like it and what gains did you get. any pics would be cool. :crossx:

e514jet
11-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Sanger mike,
Mine is set up like pic 1. Was the whole motor and pump moved back in pic 2?
what was the benefit? E

sanger mike
11-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Sanger mike,
Mine is set up like pic 1. Was the whole motor and pump moved back in pic 2?
what was the benefit? E
e514, yes pump was set back about 7 inches. MPD did the work. i haven't run the boat yet. its been a long journey and alot of money. what im try to say is just do the shoe and ride plate for about $300.00 and you will be happy with it. :crossx: if you look at the plate in the hull, thats the set back
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/115Intake_epoxied_in_place.jpg

Sanger Jet
11-09-2006, 04:59 AM
S.J. do you have the snoot from high tech, if so how do you like it and what gains did you get. any pics would be cool. :crossx:
The snoot from HTP is a quality product......My problem is my pump is not setback...so even with a loader,snoot,hyd.diverter the super jet is a handfull
at 70 or faster. Also the Super Jet hulls are HEAVY beasts. Jim @code blue racing can help you with a ride plate assembly I plan on adding one this winter. Just my 2 cents. Darren

BILLY.B
11-09-2006, 07:49 AM
thanks EMy boat was painted in lacquer when I worked for Sanger which is no longer available in Ca. It was recleared when I did the graphics on the deck and sides in urethane clear. Brian's "Pimped out ride" was painted in "House of Kolor" candie's and also cleared in urethane. As far as primer goes I use a polyester type for fill and nonshrinking purposes.

sanger mike
11-09-2006, 08:26 AM
The snoot from HTP is a quality product......My problem is my pump is not setback...so even with a loader,snoot,hyd.diverter the super jet is a handfull
at 70 or faster. Also the Super Jet hulls are HEAVY beasts. Jim @code blue racing can help you with a ride plate assembly I plan on adding one this winter. Just my 2 cents. Darren
i agree. iv'e talked to duane and brian alot about the snoot. the big problem with the sanger is that the cuting edge of the crapy shoe that sanger tried to make is about 11-12 inches in front of the transom which is way to foward and keeps the boat wet. but if you do atleast the shoe and ride plate you will load the pump harder and let it rock back on the longer ride plate. ive talked to a few guys that did just the shoe and ride plate and they said that there sangers were in the high 80's to low 90's. :) the best i could get out of my sanger was 76mph on a good day with this set up. not sure what the new deal will do but will find out soon. :rollside:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/115P9200005.JPG

Dominator Scott
11-09-2006, 08:28 AM
D.S. yes it would help your dads sanger. one thing that i see is your droop is short. i had the short droop on the first round when i started working on the sanger and was told that it was not the correct one. now i have the medium droop. one thing about these sanger's is they are a real BITCH to tune when you want to go fast but I have always loved them since i was a kid. im not sure if the snoot from high tech will work or not. after i get a good base line on the boat this summer i'll go in halves with a firend and test it on both are boats. that way the cost wont hurt so much. oh the intake would have to come out of the sanger and then the shoe is machined in to it. just get your self some alum plate and make it longer with some bracing on top to keep it stiff and then come of the bowl to brace it and pull off the ones on the hull. :) take a look at the back of billy's sanger thats where you want it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/115mcc_002.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/115kkk_048.jpg
Actually I believe I have the same droop as you posted above. I will have a new ride plate made but I don't think I will mess with a shoe if I have to yank out the jet drive to do it. My dad isn't that concerned about top speed and I don't feel like ripping the boat apart again.

Sanger Jet
11-09-2006, 08:30 AM
I still have all the foam in the bow also.....Did you take yours out and If you did is it different on the water?