PDA

View Full Version : Oil drain plug.

Dominator Scott
11-06-2006, 08:33 AM
I am about finished with my dad's Sanger but one thing that I can't stand is right now when changing the oil you have to pull the drain plug,let it drain into the bilge and then out the hull drain hole. Then when thats finished the bilge has to be cleaned and it's a pain in the azz.
I want to hook up some kind of drain hose and fitting to the oil pan but it's a tight fit between the oil pan plug and the motor mount on this 460. Any idea's?

El Prosecutor
11-06-2006, 08:55 AM
I am about finished with my dad's Sanger but one thing that I can't stand is right now when changing the oil you have to pull the drain plug,let it drain into the bilge and then out the hull drain hole. Then when thats finished the bilge has to be cleaned and it's a pain in the azz.
I want to hook up some kind of drain hose and fitting to the oil pan but it's a tight fit between the oil pan plug and the motor mount on this 460. Any idea's?
There are two good ways - one is to use a shop vac to catch the oil as it pours out, the other is to buy one of these . . .
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3252drain_kit.jpg
. . . and run the pigtail out the transom drain.

eek-a-RAT
11-06-2006, 08:55 AM
the hose way is the way mine is set up. (chevy) it has a 90 angle on the hose at the oil pan, then i stick one of those hand pumps on the hose or you can stick some controled air (from compresser) into the dipstick tube or in the valve cover filler hole & it saves ya from pumpin. i cant think of any other way except maybe put on a petcock on the drain plug itself.
the kind that are on radiators (ol skool) that have a lil shoulder on the
end so you can slide in a hose.
how close is it? mine is close too. mines a chevy. i can get a pic up in a bit to show ya how close.

beerjet
11-06-2006, 08:58 AM
rex marine has a set-up that takes care of that . I have it . It's awsome .
http://www.rexmar.com/page273.html
It's right next to "oil drain kits and fittings"
-beerjet-

beerjet
11-06-2006, 08:59 AM
rex marine has a set-up that takes care of that . I have it . It's awsome .
http://www.rexmar.com/page273.html
It's right next to "oil drain kits and fittings"
-beerjet-
Wow ! I'm slow.

sanger mike
11-06-2006, 09:25 AM
I made mine with an fittings and soft braided line. I wanted a stronger hose incase it were to rub a hole or burst.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/115100706_012.jpg

wsuwrhr
11-06-2006, 09:27 AM
I am an idiot, I just pull the motor. Takes about the same amount of time.
Brian

Dominator Scott
11-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Just went to my local marina and picked up an oil drain kit for the Sanger. Cost a little more than the one from Rex Marine but after shipping cost's it was about the same and I have it now instead of the end of the week. :rollside:

El Prosecutor
11-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Just went to my local marina and picked up an oil drain kit for the Sanger. Cost a little more than the one from Rex Marine but after shipping cost's it was about the same and I have it now instead of the end of the week. :rollside:
WHAT??? TRAITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:crossx:

Dominator Scott
11-06-2006, 02:57 PM
WHAT??? TRAITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:crossx:
Patience isn't one of my strong points. Plus I am a little miffed at Rex Marine right now after my place diverter purchase. I was told that the diverter would come with everything I needed to install it and it didn't. I was short a hyme joint and they wanted an additional $25.00 for the hyme joint plus shipping. :rolleyes: Ended up getting one at my local Napa auto parts for $8.00.
Oh well guess it's just the name of the game. I'll get over it. :rolleyes:

OverKill
11-06-2006, 08:17 PM
That's what I say just pull the motor you don't even have to put it on the stand. Just level it off from the engine hoist and pull the plug let the old shit drain into a bucket and get on with life.

67weimann
11-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Ol skool...I just lift the motor enough to get the drain pan under and pull the filter.

Dominator Scott
11-07-2006, 07:46 AM
Well I got the drain plug hose kit installed last night and my god what a pain in the azz!!!!! Couldn't see the damn thing to tighten it up so it was a wrench by brail session. The only way I could tighten it was to use a ratchet with a swivel and 12" long extension,hold the socket on the bolt since I couldn't see the damn thing and slowly tighten it up. Thank god it never has to be removed. :burningm: But at least oil changes will be much cleaner now and I won't have to wash the bilge out after every oil change. :yuk:

El Prosecutor
11-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Well I got the drain plug hose kit installed last night and my god what a pain in the azz!!!!! Couldn't see the damn thing to tighten it up so it was a wrench by brail session. The only way I could tighten it was to use a ratchet with a swivel and 12" long extension,hold the socket on the bolt since I couldn't see the damn thing and slowly tighten it up. Thank god it never has to be removed. :burningm: But at least oil changes will be much cleaner now and I won't have to wash the bilge out after every oil change. :yuk:
I had a similar experience installing mine. I had an intake screw coming up directly below my drain plug that I had to saw off to make it fit. Now every time we change our oil we will REALLY appreciate the convenience though, eh?

Dominator Scott
11-07-2006, 08:54 AM
I had a similar experience installing mine. I had an intake screw coming up directly below my drain plug that I had to saw off to make it fit. Now every time we change our oil we will REALLY appreciate the convenience though, eh?
Exactly. I was half tempted to drain the oil back out just to see the benefit of this thing. :cool: Actually I have an electric oil change pump that I will hook up to the drain hose and suck the oil out right quick. :boxed:

Cs19
11-07-2006, 09:00 AM
I use trash bags to catch the oil and a hack saw to cut the filters open....old skool.

OverKill
11-07-2006, 09:10 AM
cs19 what way do you cut your oil filters long way or in half. I have to cut mine open so I thought I would ask.. Thanks

Dominator Scott
11-07-2006, 09:11 AM
I use trash bags to catch the oil and a hack saw to cut the filters open....old skool.
Or you could spend $30 and just put a drain hose on it and be done with it. I hate messing with oil changes and crap like that so I want it as simple and fast as possible. Would rather spend time turning a wrench to add performance gains and not waste time changing the oil and cleaning up the mess. Call me lazy I guess. :rolleyes:

olbiezer
11-07-2006, 09:28 AM
evey boat i have had with that set up has had a hose that was about a foot or so too short to get it out the plug hole in the back of the boat......guess i am just lazy.......i do like the idear of it though...... :) :rollside:

Dominator Scott
11-07-2006, 09:33 AM
evey boat i have had with that set up has had a hose that was about a foot or so too short to get it out the plug hole in the back of the boat......guess i am just lazy.......i do like the idear of it though...... :) :rollside:
That was the first thing I checked. Hose extends about 6" through the transom drain hole.

Sanger Jet
11-07-2006, 09:36 AM
The oil plug with drain hose is SUPER SLOW!!! I just let her rip and wash the bilge till you can eat off it.......I do like the trash bag deal thou. :rollside:

Dominator Scott
11-07-2006, 09:56 AM
The oil plug with drain hose is SUPER SLOW!!! I just let her rip and wash the bilge till you can eat off it.......I do like the trash bag deal thou. :rollside:
That is where my electric oil change pump comes in. I can suck the oil out of my 700SC motors through the dip stick tube in about 10 minutes so it should work very well on this drain hose. :rollside: