PDA

View Full Version : Computer question

unleashed
11-06-2006, 11:15 AM
I tried to open up a file and it says scratch disks are full??? What does this mean....??? How do I remedy the problem?
Thanks
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

Cheap Thrills
11-06-2006, 11:21 AM
GOOGLE is your friend :D
The Photoshop scratch disk is your hard drive. Photoshop uses your hard drive as temporary "swap" space, or virtual memory, when your system does not have enough RAM to perform an operation. If you only have one hard drive or partition in your computer, then the scratch disk will be the drive where your operating system is installed (the C drive on a Windows system).
You can change the scratch disk location and add multiple scratch disks from Photoshop Preferences. Many power users like to create a dedicated hard drive partition for the Photoshop scratch disk. Although Photoshop will function with a single scratch disk on the system partition, you can improve performance by setting the scratch disk to be the fastest drive in your system. Other useful guidelines for setting scratch disks are to avoid using the same drive where your operating system is installed, avoid using a drive where the files you edit are stored, and don't use network or removable drives for a scratch disk.
If Photoshop is shut down improperly or crashes in the middle of an editing session, this can leave fairly large temporary files behind on your scratch disk. Photoshop's temp files are typically named ~PST####.tmp on Windows and Temp#### on Macintosh, where #### is a series of numbers. These are safe to delete.
If you're getting an error message that the scratch disk is full, it means you need to clear some space on whatever drive is defined as the scratch disk in Photoshop Preferences, or add additional drives for Photoshop to use as scratch space.
It is also possible to get the "scratch disk is full" error, even if the scratch disk drive has free space. This is because Photoshop requires contiguous, unfragmented free space on the scratch disk drive. If you are getting the "scratch disk is full" error message and your scratch disk drive does show a good amount of free space, you may need to run a disk defragmentation utility. See How to Defragment Your Hard Drive for Windows or Defragment and Cleanup Utilities for Macintosh.
C.T. :wink:

572Daytona
11-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Are you getting this when using Photoshop? If so, here's some things to try:
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/316693.html

racecar.hotshoe
11-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Dang your all smart.......n shait... :p :p

Jbb
11-06-2006, 11:33 AM
How smart can 572 be.......?
He lives in Georgia.......and owns a jetboat.... :p

unleashed
11-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Cool...thanks alot guys....I'll try and fix it now!
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

572Daytona
11-06-2006, 11:40 AM
And CT lives in NC and owns a jetboat and is 2 minutes more on the ball than I am today :)
Speaking of computers, how's the printer working?

Jbb
11-06-2006, 11:43 AM
And CT lives in NC and owns a jetboat and is 2 minutes more on the ball than I am today :)
Speaking of computers, how's the printer working?
Oddly enough ...perfectly....thanks... :p

sorry dog
06-02-2007, 07:33 AM
...and his neighbors live in a trailer :D