PDA

View Full Version : Best Pump Grease ?????

b's sanger
11-07-2006, 04:49 PM
What's the best grease to use in the pump? Or does it even matter?

El Prosecutor
11-07-2006, 04:55 PM
What's the best grease to use in the pump? Or does it even matter?
I use Mobil One (red stuff) because it works well on everything on the boat, including the thrust bearing and wheel bearings.

shaun
11-07-2006, 05:12 PM
I used the greae that HTP sent me with their rebuild kit...
Also when i picked up my bowl from MPD after having it converted i saw a few sticks of the HTP lube also, not sure if jack uses it. :idea:

MudPumper
11-07-2006, 05:28 PM
I'll say this once so everybody pay attention. It is not important what color the grease is. What is important is, that it's a Lithium Based Extreme Pressure (EP)grease with good water resistance. Some good ones are:
Sta Lube "Sta-Plex EP"
Shell "Alvania #2"
Valvoline "Val-Plex EP"
Chevron "Black Pearl EP"
Be aware that greases have different base materials, such as lithium, aluminum, sodium, barium, etc. Different bases are not compatible and lubrication failure may occur if you mix them. The base material is indicated on the grease conatainer. Read the label and don't mix!

67weimann
11-07-2006, 06:01 PM
I'll say this once so everybody pay attention.
What was that. I didn't catch that...Please repeat... :crossx: lol

MikeF
11-07-2006, 06:11 PM
I'll say this once so everybody pay attention. It is not important what color the grease is. What is important is, that it's a Lithium Based Extreme Pressure (EP)grease with good water resistance. Some good ones are:
Sta Lube "Sta-Plex EP"
Shell "Alvania #2"
Valvoline "Val-Plex EP"
Chevron "Black Pearl EP"
Be aware that greases have different base materials, such as lithium, aluminum, sodium, barium, etc. Different bases are not compatible and lubrication failure may occur if you mix them. The base material is indicated on the grease conatainer. Read the label and don't mix!
Lithium....is the correct grease for the job! :D

Beer-30
11-07-2006, 06:58 PM
I use it for everything. Especially around the water stuff, as it is impervious. All of the brands are good, but pumps spin pretty fast and have a load. I would go with any synthetic you feel good with.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Sta Lube "Sta-Plex EP"
Shell "Alvania #2"
Valvoline "Val-Plex EP"
Chevron "Black Pearl EP"
Mike, dont forget the genuine mercruiser grease;)

Fire Water
11-08-2006, 04:51 AM
Mobilith AW2, High Pressure, Water Resistant, Lithium grease. Reommended by manufacturers. Sometimes hard to find.

olbiezer
11-08-2006, 08:52 AM
do u used the same shit in your wheel barrings?

1978 Rogers
11-08-2006, 09:05 AM
do u used the same shit in your wheel barrings?
I use the same grease on my jet bearing and wheels, but its not shyt.

Hallett19
11-08-2006, 11:41 AM
Mobil1 red on pump, thrust and wheel bearings, every time i go out.

olbiezer
11-08-2006, 02:05 PM
hey 1978 bad choise of words on my part but if u get it on your hands or slung all over the back of the boat it is sh*t then lol.......... :argue:

Rexone
11-09-2006, 12:16 AM
We use Neo Red Synthetic exclusively for pumps and wheel bearings. Have been using it for about 10+ years now and have had zero wheel bearing failures vs old wheel bearing grease. I know that's a little off the topic (wheel brgs) but it's great grease for both purposes. I'm sure the other red greases are great too.
Whatever you do don't use the blue Sta lube marine type stuff. It cakes up over time when contacts water and stops lubricating.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-09-2006, 08:03 AM
moreys red grease is kick azz as well;)

Cs19
11-09-2006, 08:31 AM
I'll say this once so everybody pay attention. It is not important what color the grease is. What is important is, that it's a Lithium Based Extreme Pressure (EP)grease with good water resistance.
Well there you have it. Good post Mud.